• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Back To The 70's

70s was when hotels had discos - 1571 in Manila Hilton, Stargrazer in Silahis Hotel, Where Else in Hotel Intercon and equally famous discos Flames along Roxas Blvd, Another World along Makati Ave.....to name a few I remember.

1571...Yeah I remember having a group date in that disco sometime in the mid-70's. It turned out the guys didn't have enough money to pay for the drinks and the cover charge so the girls had to pay the cost.

It was embarrassing to say the least.

I miss the old American television programs of the 70's like Hawaii Five-0, Quincy Medical Examiner, Kojac, Petrocelli, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Three's Company, CHiPs, Different Strokes, The Love Boat, The Waltons, WKRP in Cincinnati, Welcome Back, Kotter, and many others.

I miss the old American television programs of the 70's like Hawaii Five-0, Quincy Medical Examiner, Kojac, Petrocelli, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Three's Company, CHiPs, Different Strokes, The Love Boat, The Waltons, WKRP in Cincinnati, Welcome Back, Kotter, and many others.

To add to the list of 70s TV programs, my favs were Man From U.N.C.L.E. (United Network Command for Law Enforcement), Mannix, Wild Wild West and of course the original episodes of Start Trek, Charlie's Angels & Mission Impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody remember typhoon Yoling? As I recall, the typhoon hit Metro Manila directly with over 250kph center winds. We lost electricity for over a month. Electric poles came crashing down almost everywhere in the metropolis.

Yes, that 1970 howler was probably regarded as the strongest back in the 70's and it made landfall in Luzon. I was barely 2 years old that time so I've no absolute recollection. But my parents and siblings remembered this and they described it as a period when the sun never came out for the longest time.

My first recollection of a strong typhoon was Didang which came around May, 1976 if I'm not mistaken. I remember getting stuck in the house for two whole days not doing anything. Even the newspapers didn't get to print anything back then as floodwaters prevented the writers from sending this over to the Port Area where most of the publications' offices are located.

Does anybody remember typhoon Yoling? As I recall, the typhoon hit Metro Manila directly with over 250kph center winds. We lost electricity for over a month. Electric poles came crashing down almost everywhere in the metropolis.

We lost electricity and water for a whole month as I recall. But being a kid at that time, it was really no big deal.

We lost electricity and water for a whole month as I recall. But being a kid at that time, it was really no big deal.

I distinctly remember our American neighbor living across the street screaming at the top of his voice "Lights!! Thank God lights!!" when electricity was restored after the month long brown out. The guy was just so happy.

• 4 weeks later...