Back To The 70's

Sayang wala na lahat mga matchbox ko :(

kung naitabi ko lang collector's item ngayon un. hilig ko kasi magsira ng mga toys then just to find out how they run.

Influenced din ako ng mga tv cop shows nung 70s na nauso yung mga car chases, crashes, and all those crazy car stunts. ayun ginagawa ko sa mga matchbox ko kaya walang natirang buo hehe

I also remember sa isang toilet paper (brand I forgot) lagi may kasamang molded toy soldiers about 2" high.

hindi siya painted and it was all grey but the detailing was impeccable. mga crusaders, 18th century soldiers etc.

sa tissue paper (something like kleenex ata) meron naman mga toy molded animals.

these were all in the 70s

as usual wala na rin sa kin...

Matchbox nut din ako in those days...i still have in my baul the Aston Martin classic issue of JB-007. :cool:

Meron pa rin ngaung mga new issues but pretty expensive.

Edited by nudude77
Sayang wala na lahat mga matchbox ko :(

kung naitabi ko lang collector's item ngayon un. hilig ko kasi magsira ng mga toys then just to find out how they run.

Influenced din ako ng mga tv cop shows nung 70s na nauso yung mga car chases, crashes, and all those crazy car stunts. ayun ginagawa ko sa mga matchbox ko kaya walang natirang buo hehe

I also remember sa isang toilet paper (brand I forgot) lagi may kasamang molded toy soldiers about 2" high.

hindi siya painted and it was all grey but the detailing was impeccable. mga crusaders, 18th century soldiers etc.

Pards, you were referring to Scott Tissues. I also collected those toy soldiers (may Russian Cossack and Swiss Archer models sila) and made them do "battle" against my toy WW2 US army soldiers. :lol:

I am an avid Matchbox collector on the side because my Dad used to buy me those toy cars from the various stores in Quiapo. He told me that they only cost P2 then. :boo: Made in England pa. Mattel now owns the Matchbox brand. But as somebody here said earlier, the look and quality of the older and original British-made Matchbox cars were much better. :cool:

Edited by willow_boy
thanks pare!

I actually saw Star Trek Seasons 1-3 here in Metrowalk - planning to buy it next time and I will also look for the others pero parang wala. Would you also know if Mission Impossible - the original TV series with Peter Graves and Martin Landau has been released as a video collection? Ito rin ang gusto kong mapanuod uli...

Yes, that has been released too. The first 3 seasons of the Mission Impossible TV series are now available. I just found out too na wala pala si Peter Graves (Jim Phelps) sa first season of this series. :boo: Steven Hill (used to be of Law and Order) played the role of Dan Riggs, the leader of IMF, in the first season.

Yup yun na nga yun, Scott tissue. Do u still have those toy soldiers?

Nagkawalaan na yung sa akin, or inarbor na ata ng mga pamangkin ko.

Matchbox originally came from England. Ok talaga quality nun.

Ngayon hindi na.

Pards, you were referring to Scott Tissues. I also collected those toy soldiers (may Russian Cossack and Swiss Archer models sila) and made them do "battle" against my toy WW2 US army soldiers. :lol:

I am an avid Matchbox collector on the side because my Dad used to buy me those toy cars from the various stores in Quiapo. He told me that they only cost P2 then. :boo: Made in England pa. Mattel now owns the Matchbox brand. But as somebody here said earlier, the look and quality of the older and original British-made Matchbox cars were much better. :cool:

Wow ang daming bago. Welcome folks, our group is getting bigger and bigger.

I haven't seen any of those bomba flicks specially the Ricky Rogers and Scarlet tandem. :(

I remember GINOO Magazine and PIC.

I hope boomouse can post some pics of the GINOO ladies. :P

Sorry to comment on boomouse handle but.... I just remembered the BOO team in the Intramurals when we were in high school where a picture of a big mouse (rat) is embroidered in their uniform below the BOO. Nakalusot sa mga pari at madre. :thumbsupsmiley:

On the handle thing... you hit the nail in the head my friend. If the vernacular of a 'big prick' is 'bu-rat', then it follows that a small prick is a 'boo-mouse'!

Para hindi OT:

I will raid my dad's library this (omigosh!!!) holy week with scanner and laptop to get some choice pics of Ginoo for you guys.

Hintayin namin yan :))

Sama mo na rin mga pix from PIC, kung meron.

Diko matandaan kung san ko nakita si Jaclyn Jose, kung Ginoo or Pic.

She was young then around 17yo ata. In the buff, pero di kta keps. Boobs lang. Yummy

Sayang wala na rin yung mag na yun.

I will raid my dad's library this (omigosh!!!) holy week with scanner and laptop to get some choice pics of Ginoo for you guys.
Edited by nudude77
Hintayin namin yan :))

Sama mo na rin mga pix from PIC, kung meron.

Diko matandaan kung san ko nakita si Jaclyn Jose, kung Ginoo or Pic.

She was young then around 17yo ata. In the buff, pero di kta keps. Boobs lang. Yummy

Sayang wala na rin yung mag na yun.

PIC was published by the late Franklin Cabaluna who was entertainment editor of people's journal and tonight when he died. Franklin still had mint copies of PIC that featured a very young and very beutiful Annabel Rama who in her time was much prettier than her daughter.

I remember my mom buying our beds and other furniture at Everlast department Store along Quezon Ave/Banawe. Beside it was the Robina roast chicken store which had a machine with a gas-fired chicken rotisserie and one chicken only cost P15.

UP still had a drive-in beside the old gym somewhat between the law center and the infirmary. There was a ladies pool in the site where the school of economics now is across the street from Vinzons Hall and the men's pool was a frog-infested cesspool behind the engineering building.

Miriam College was still called Maryknoll and it had the stature that Assumption and St Scho enjoy to this day except they haven't produced any presidents.

Just before every schoolyear opening we would all be herded to the Gregg Shoes store along N Domingo and San Juan to buy school shoes because they were the only ones that lasted the year.

Bata rubber shoes were for PE.

You can still find homes with black and white TVs but they were on the wane. The cat's pajamas in TV sets then were Sony's Trinitrons which mostly were 12- and 17-inch screens. Radiowealth was still a big name in local sound systems with their quadrosonic, 4 channel systems.

The place to be seen was the Makati Fast Food center in what I think is now Park Square 1. The QUAD theaters were the first movieplex in what is now called Glorietta 1. At that time, Glorietta was an open park where they held masses and open air concerts when the main food features were the first MacDonalds Store and the Ling Nam mami house just behind Makati Supermart (which is now Glorietta 3).

Ayala Center then was more parking lot than shopping center. Parking was free and the shopping complex was composed of single level arcades. If you took your date to see a movie at the Rizal Theater (where 6750 now stands) followed by merienda or early dinner at Dulcinea just outside it you were bound to impress and not strike out.

Discos then were Where Else? at the Intercon basement, Altitude 49 at the Manila Garden Hotel, Queue at the Midtown Ramada (now the Heritage after it was rebuilt after burning down), the Velvet Slum at the Hotel Frederick (corner of harrison and buendia), Circles where the old Scwatzwalder and now the new Ayala Museum now stands, Subway in Maria Orosa st infront of the Manila Hilton (now the Waterfront).

Bus companies plying EDSA had bodies made of "lawanit" and had names like California Bus Lines, JD Transit, CAM Transit, JD Liner, and DM Transit. Jeepneys had just been outlawed in EDSA (and the jeepney drivers could not complain because Martial law was in force) they were replaced by minibuses that were just as small, just as dangerous and were driven by the same maniacs.

There was a rotunda (ruondabout) at the corner of EDSA and Quezon Avenue and another one at the corner of Legarda, Governor Forbes (now Lacson), RM Magsaysay Avenue, and Mendiola and one more at the corner of Timog and Quezon Ave and also at the Welcome Rotonda.

NLEX only went as far as Tabang and SLEX only reached Alabang.

The rage in electronic communications at the time were citizen's band (CB) radios. If we had text speak today they had CB-speak then. 10-4 good buddy, I'm 10-3 for your 2-6 (Right, I am on my way to your location). If we had Nokia and Ericsson and Moto today, they had sets like General Electric Model G, and Black Shadow and specs like 40 or 80 or 120 channels, single-sideband radio, Power Mikes, Multi-element Yagi antennas and K40 mobile antennas with magnetic mounts.

If you wanted what were considered the best PSPs at the time, you went to the Cork and Cleaver or the Diasy Chain along Pasay Road. Short time rates were a whopping P500 then for the girls who were pimped by the waiters in these joints.

The high end MPs at the time were of course Maalikaya where the presidential floor charged P800 and the VIP floor charged P500. You can also go to the second floor of the Manila Garden where they had a MP too.

^^^ Very nice write-up, Pareng Boomouse. :cool: It sure brought back a lot of memories of places around Metro Manila.

Is the Gregg Store in San Juan still around? I do remember that place along N. Domingo.

I remember the bus lines you mentioned along with the nicknames people gave them such as JD (Judas-Driven) Transit and DM (Demonyo Mag-maneho) Transit. Another example of lawanit-framed buses was the Marikina Auto Line. I also remember the day I first rode on an airconditioned Love Bus. :cool:

Edited by willow_boy
The rage in electronic communications at the time were citizen's band (CB) radios. If we had text speak today they had CB-speak then. 10-4 good buddy, I'm 10-3 for your 2-6 (Right, I am on my way to your location). If we had Nokia and Ericsson and Moto today, they had sets like General Electric Model G, and Black Shadow and specs like 40 or 80 or 120 channels, single-sideband radio, Power Mikes, Multi-element Yagi antennas and K40 mobile antennas with magnetic mounts.

CBer ka din pala dati, ang saya-saya dyan nung araw diba! Did you have a group?

I'm from channel 34 - SHARC / UNICOM. Me and my buddies used to have OP every holyweek in Matabungkay, Batangas doing voluntary motorist assistance. Mura pa lang ang gasolina noon kaya kayang kaya. I miss those days, it brings a lot of good memories. :)

CBer ka din pala dati, ang saya-saya dyan nung araw diba! Did you have a group?

I'm from channel 34 - SHARC / UNICOM. Me and my buddies used to have OP every holyweek in Matabungkay, Batangas doing voluntary motorist assistance. Mura pa lang ang gasolina noon kaya kayang kaya. I miss those days, it brings a lot of good memories. :)

No, I didn't have a group. I was (still am?) a techie and liked tinkering with the radios (dami ko nasunog!) and would join friends from various groups to try out a new mod. But you know what? The best mod was figuring out how to make an antenna more efficient.

You were right, ang saya saya. Dito una ginamit yun term na EB "eyeball" dami ka nakilalang girls noon lalo na yun gustong magka radio... hehehe inaayos ko na lang yun mga nasunog ng mga ka-tropa. Tapos korteng yagi na legs niya.

^^^ Very nice write-up, Pareng Boomouse. :cool: It sure brought back a lot of memories of places around Metro Manila.

Is the Gregg Store in San Juan still around? I do remember that place along N. Domingo.

I remember the bus lines you mentioned along with the nicknames people gave them such as JD (Judas-Driven) Transit and DM (Demonyo Mag-maneho) Transit. Another example of lawanit-framed buses was the Marikina Auto Line. I also remember the day I first rode on an airconditioned Love Bus. :cool:

Thanks. I guess you're one of the guys who would play Rupert Holmes's one-hit-wonder called "Terminal" for in-car date music.

Alas, the Gregg shoes store is no more. After the demise of the owner, Mrs Lilia Almario it seemed that no one in the later generation wanted to take it on. But one of her daughters, Lila did start a high-end ladies shoe line that look like Manolo Blahniks using her name: Lila Almario. I think she has outlets in high-end malls like Rockwell and Shangri-la Plaza.

I remember making out (not all the way) at the back of the love bus. Cheaper than a taxi from Cubao-Ali Mall to Ayala, just as fast, and so much cooler because cabs then had no AC. It was also the only bus service where people were disciplined enough to line-up to get on--amazing.

No, I didn't have a group. I was (still am?) a techie and liked tinkering with the radios (dami ko nasunog!) and would join friends from various groups to try out a new mod. But you know what? The best mod was figuring out how to make an antenna more efficient.

You were right, ang saya saya. Dito una ginamit yun term na EB "eyeball" dami ka nakilalang girls noon lalo na yun gustong magka radio... hehehe inaayos ko na lang yun mga nasunog ng mga ka-tropa. Tapos korteng yagi na legs niya.

The CB craze began during the late 70's and early 80's. It was popularized by the movie Smokey and the Bandit, and revolutionized the concept of personal wireless communication. After that, hand held VHF & UHF radio na nauso, then the beepers, the 90's saw the coming of the 1st generation celphones up to present day 3G technology. Whew!, What's next kaya?

i don't consider myself a 70's baby (and this is not denial!!! haha), but the things remarkable about the 70's were the music, the fashion, the experimental films (which we get to see, thanks to cinemalibre!) and the progressive ideas. although the martial law experience is not something we'd like to happen again, it gave the filipino people a clear raison d'etre at that time. it helped shape the 70's filipinos' sense of nationalism. hmmm... makes me wonder about the sense of nationalism of the current generation :unsure:

Yes, that has been released too. The first 3 seasons of the Mission Impossible TV series are now available. I just found out too na wala pala si Peter Graves (Jim Phelps) sa first season of this series. :boo: Steven Hill (used to be of Law and Order) played the role of Dan Riggs, the leader of IMF, in the first season.

thanks pare. Maghahanap akong mabuti nito hehehe...

Didn't know that too, but were Martin Landau and the others already there in season one?

i don't consider myself a 70's baby (and this is not denial!!! haha), but the things remarkable about the 70's were the music, the fashion, the experimental films (which we get to see, thanks to cinemalibre!) and the progressive ideas. although the martial law experience is not something we'd like to happen again, it gave the filipino people a clear raison d'etre at that time. it helped shape the 70's filipinos' sense of nationalism. hmmm... makes me wonder about the sense of nationalism of the current generation :unsure:

Looking back, I can say that the Martial Law experience did have one positive effect on me. It allowed me to experience a world where Filipinos were actually disciplned and following rules instead of continuously testing if hey can get away with breaking them. Like an actual glimpse at a 'what if?' situation.

Of course, any situation where you are forced into doing something--no matter how noble the later effect, can get tiresome fast. Plus of course, there were no guaranteed rights especially if you wanted to speak out against the government and that sucks bigtime.

Looking back, I can say that the Martial Law experience did have one positive effect on me. It allowed me to experience a world where Filipinos were actually disciplned and following rules instead of continuously testing if hey can get away with breaking them. Like an actual glimpse at a 'what if?' situation.

Of course, any situation where you are forced into doing something--no matter how noble the later effect, can get tiresome fast. Plus of course, there were no guaranteed rights especially if you wanted to speak out against the government and that sucks bigtime.

The mantra during those days was "Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, disiplina ang kailangan". There is even a song "May bagong silang, may bago ng bukas....

thanks pare. Maghahanap akong mabuti nito hehehe...

Didn't know that too, but were Martin Landau and the others already there in season one?

Martin Landau (Rollin Hand) and Barbara Bain (Cinnamon Carter) were there in season one. Interestingly, Leonard Nimoy later replaced Martin Landau after the "Star Trek" series went off the air.

Martin Landau (Rollin Hand) and Barbara Bain (Cinnamon Carter) were there in season one. Interestingly, Leonard Nimoy later replaced Martin Landau after the "Star Trek" series went off the air.

Now that reminds me again of Relly Coloma's version of the theme song MISSION IMPOSSIBLE in his electric organ. Was that a Yamaha? :P