Back To The 70's

After the oil crisis in 1972-74, the Japanese cars dominated the market. I used to drive a 1302 beetle but I was longing for an L-type colt

Daming magaganda noon like sina Hilda Koronel, Alma Moreno, Lorna Tolentino at Rio Locsin

Dina Bonnevie, Techie Agbayani, Chiqui Hollmann, Lotis Key, Aurora Salve, Chona Castillo, Beth Bautista, etc.

Gloria Diaz and Elizabeth Oropesa started the wet t-shirt look

Ang ganda rin nina Yvonne, Rosanna Ortiz plus si Chanda Romero pa.

Susan Henson, Leila Hermosa, Jean Saburit, Janet Bordon, Anna Marin, Ruby Anna

Ellen Esguerra, Tet Antiquerra (pantyless)

Susan Henson, Leila Hermosa, Jean Saburit, Janet Bordon, Anna Marin, Ruby Anna

Ellen Esguerra, Tet Antiquerra (pantyless)

I remember one issue of the Panorama (Sunday magazine of The Bulletin Today) that featured these sexy stars in skimpy outfits. My favorite was Ruby Anna. I think others who came out included Chona Castillo, Ellen Esguerra, and Tet Antiquera. Wish there was someone here who could still post that.

• 1 month later...

After the oil crisis in 1972-74, the Japanese cars dominated the market. I used to drive a 1302 beetle but I was longing for an L-type colt

Daming magaganda noon like sina Hilda Koronel, Alma Moreno, Lorna Tolentino at Rio Locsin

Dina Bonnevie, Techie Agbayani, Chiqui Hollmann, Lotis Key, Aurora Salve, Chona Castillo, Beth Bautista, etc.

Gloria Diaz and Elizabeth Oropesa started the wet t-shirt look

Ang ganda rin nina Yvonne, Rosanna Ortiz plus si Chanda Romero pa.

Hindi pa retokada ang mga artista. Being beautiful without help of a doctor.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Parang ang sarap mabuhay noong 70s no? Batang 90s ako and I can say that I'm pretty adept sa mga bagay na latest at trending lalo na sa gadgets. Pero wala pa ring tatalo sa simple ng pamumuhay ng mga tao noon both sa city and province. People would actually socialize with each other at hindi lang nakatitig sa mga screen. For me, naging updated nga ang way of living natin pero naging backward ang thinking natin. Kung bibigyan ako ng choice, gusto ko bumalik at mabuhay sa 70s or 80s.

At around 6AM, the newspaper boy and the milkman will come in almost at the same time - the newspaper boy (riding a bike) will gingerly put the Times Journal and the Bulletin Today inside the crevices of the top gate, while the milkman will buzzer and get an empty Chocolait bottle as replacement for the new, cold one he was delivering.

I'd devour every single article on the newspapers, particularly during summer when there's not too much to do but I still end up waking early.

After breakfast, I'd watch "Good Morning Manila" hosted by Merce Henares and get to know the vegetable prices at Nepa-Q-Mart brought by their roving reporter. After GMM, I'd watch a sports show on RPN 9 at 8AM, where they normally feature old basketball games. This was where I was able to catch the replays of the Philippine national basketball team going up against the likes of Japan and South Korea in the Manila ABC of 1973. At around 9:30AM, I'd watch Sesame Street, a cartoon strip after, Electric Avenue on IBC 13 at around 11AM, Suerte Sa Siete at 11:30AM, and Student Canteen at 12NN (until Eat Bulaga! came in sometime 1979).

After lunch, I'd try to lull myself to siesta by watching old Filipino classics from LVN, Premiere or Sampaguita Pictures on Sine Siete at 1:30PM. This was where I got acquainted with past celebrities like Tita Muñoz, Carmen Rosales, Rogelio Dela Rosa, Jaime Dela Rosa, Norma Blancaflor, Nida Blanca, Nestor De Villa, Pancho Magalona, Tita Duran, among many others. 3PM was the time i switched the TV off as The 700 Club was on air. I go out of the house after merienda and play outside with the other kids, or, do "walling" using a tennis racquet and a tennis ball using our perimeter wall. By the time i'm done, it would be the animated programs already - Voltes V, Mazinger Z, UFO Grendaizer, Mekanda Robot, and Daimos. The teledramas would follow (Flordeluna on RPN, Anna Liza on GMA) then the news at 7PM (Harry Gasser at Newswatch, Lee Andres at Balita, Frankie Evangelista on IBC News 13, Bon Vibar at GTV 4, Tina Monzon-Palma on News at 7).

You had several options to watch after - the canned TV shows of GMA and RPN, the Tagalog teleseryes of BBC, or the old flix at IBC 13 on Piling Piling Pelikula. The news came in at around 10PM and most of the stations were already off the air by midnight...

• 3 weeks later...

It was Martial Law..one of the darkest moments in our History!

TRUE. Mahuli ka during Curfew hours (12 Midnight to 4am) Dadalhin ka sa Stockade! Magbubunot ka ng damo o paglilinisin ka ng toilet sa campo. Wag na wag mong matitignan si Bongbong Marcos o si Jackie Enrile sa mata, kung hindi SALVAGE (PATAY) ka. nyanyanya

• Like (+1) 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

na miss ko manood ng palabas sa C.O.D sa cubao tuwing december

Shopping at Good Earth Emporium (GEE) with escalator along Avenida and eating Cheese Burger and buying Revel & Aurora model DIY kits at Goodwill bookstore.

known metro retailers in the 70s that have closed shop:

- Queen's Supermarket

- Alemars Bookstore

- Tropical Hut

- Arcega's

please add . . .

known metro retailers in the 70s that have closed shop:

- Queen's Supermarket

- Alemars Bookstore

- Tropical Hut

- Arcega's

please add . . .

Actually, meron pang Tropical Hut sa Mercury Drug sa Sta. Lucia, Cainta., Ang Alemars ay nagconcentrate na lang sa book publishing as Alemars Publishing Corporation

Vasquez Brothers Book Store sa Azcarraga (Recto)

Joe's Department Store sa Carriedo

Otis Department Store sa Carriedo

Rebuillida Store sa Escolta

La Estrella del Norte sa Plaza Cervantes

Aguinaldo's sa Echague (Palanca)

Syvels at Makati Commercial & Escolta

Makati Automat sa MCC