Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

unsolicited advice (i'm not a lawyer)

@pinpoint - advice, buy the shares from the shareholders, if the shareholders are dead, get an attorney to facilitate the sale or transfer of shares from your relatives to you or to whoever is applicable. its quite tedious. if i were you, sweet talk everyone, board resolution and restructure the corporation and amend it with the sec.

@percent caffeine - advice, get a lawyer. I think it can be heard on the small claims court.

- I have a question -

we have a lot around 3000 sq.m in bulacan, after a survey, we found out that an adjacent house has encroached into our lot. problem is its a 2 storey concrete house, now, the owner decided to get a 3rd party surveyor to check it again. and same result. it has been a long time since, now the owner of the house passed away already. and now we would like to utilize the lot (for rental) and construction will be ongoing soon. what legal action can we take and any other alternative thru this problem? thanks in advance.

Good day.

I am looking for legal advice regarding Buyers Remorse (on Services NOT Goods)

Party A contracted Party B to run a Social Media and Online Visibility Campaign for 60 days. Total contract price was 36,000. Party B was paid an initial payment of Php19,000. The agreement was that 36,000 will be paid in full, but Party B decided to allow a staggered payment plan to help out Party A. Two weeks after, Party B reneged on the agreement, wanting to cancel the entire campaign and asking for a refund. The reason behind the decision was that they decided they no longer needed/wanted it. Party A is asking for a refund. What does the law say about Buyers Remorse on Services.

Thank you.

Two weeks after, Party B reneged on the agreement?

I am assuming from the tenor of the question that it was actually Party A who reneged on the agreement, given that it is Party B who would render the services, and it appears that it was Party A who needed/wanted the campaign at first.

Once a contract is perfected, a party to the contract cannot unilaterally withdraw, without a valid reason, from the same (unless there is a clause in the contract allowing him to do so).

Accordingly, so long as Party B is ready and willing to perform the services and there is no clause allowing for unilateral withdrawal, Party A may not withdraw from the same on the reason that they no longer need/want it.

However, the law does not also like unjust enrichment, which would happen if Party B gets to keep the P19k without performing any services for it.

Accordingly, the equitable solution would be to allow Party A to withdraw from the contract, but he has to pay Party B the expenses which the latter has already incurred by reason of the contract PLUS DAMAGES suffered by Party B due to the unilateral withdrawal. The expenses already incurred plus damages MAY OR MAY NOT EQUAL 19k (I'd say it probably is less than 19k). So, I suggest that Party B inform party A that he will return the 19k less the expenses incurred and damages (pwede isoli niya 10k na lang, depende sa kanya).

Note that, legally speaking, Party B can insist on the contract (it appearing that unilateral withdrawal is not allowed). The problem would be that Party A might not release the remaining 17k, so walang incentive to perform without full payment first. Note also that they cannot insist on a refund so long as Party B insists on the performance of the contract. Basically, magkakasamaan lang ng loob si Party A at B, until one of them files a case (which, given the small amount involved, is a remote possibility).

Two weeks after, Party B reneged on the agreement?

I am assuming from the tenor of the question that it was actually Party A who reneged on the agreement, given that it is Party B who would render the services, and it appears that it was Party A who needed/wanted the campaign at first.

Once a contract is perfected, a party to the contract cannot unilaterally withdraw, without a valid reason, from the same (unless there is a clause in the contract allowing him to do so).

Accordingly, so long as Party B is ready and willing to perform the services and there is no clause allowing for unilateral withdrawal, Party A may not withdraw from the same on the reason that they no longer need/want it.

However, the law does not also like unjust enrichment, which would happen if Party B gets to keep the P19k without performing any services for it.

Accordingly, the equitable solution would be to allow Party A to withdraw from the contract, but he has to pay Party B the expenses which the latter has already incurred by reason of the contract PLUS DAMAGES suffered by Party B due to the unilateral withdrawal. The expenses already incurred plus damages MAY OR MAY NOT EQUAL 19k (I'd say it probably is less than 19k). So, I suggest that Party B inform party A that he will return the 19k less the expenses incurred and damages (pwede isoli niya 10k na lang, depende sa kanya).

Note that, legally speaking, Party B can insist on the contract (it appearing that unilateral withdrawal is not allowed). The problem would be that Party A might not release the remaining 17k, so walang incentive to perform without full payment first. Note also that they cannot insist on a refund so long as Party B insists on the performance of the contract. Basically, magkakasamaan lang ng loob si Party A at B, until one of them files a case (which, given the small amount involved, is a remote possibility).

Sorry, my bad. It was Party A who reneged on the agreement. Party B is willing to render services and forgo the remaining balance still owed. The Service provider has already done most of the work and will accept not getting paid the rest of what was due, mostly in deference to their existing business relationship which was going well prior to this particular transaction. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

transfer of the shares would either be by sale or donation. However, if the shareholder is already dead, the widow (and children) have to settle the estate of the deceased first.

Can we do the transferring without notifying the other stockholders?

yes, but the transfers have to be registered in the books of the company.

And if it's not a corporation anymore, what would be the process?

find out first what happened. without knowing what happened to the corporation, we do not know who now owns the assets of the corporation, as well as who has the authority to dispose of these assets.

Hi bosses. Updated on this.

So I checked SEC i-View for the records of the corporation. I found it although it was already had a status "Revoked." It was registered in1990. Then I was informed by one of my aunt that the name of the funeral parlor was changed around 2007-2009, but reverted back to it's former name around 2011-2013. So I also checked old receipts and found that the when it changed to a different name around 2007-2009, my uncle was the "proprietor."

What should I do then? Thanks

Hi bosses. Updated on this.

So I checked SEC i-View for the records of the corporation. I found it although it was already had a status "Revoked." It was registered in1990. Then I was informed by one of my aunt that the name of the funeral parlor was changed around 2007-2009, but reverted back to it's former name around 2011-2013. So I also checked old receipts and found that the when it changed to a different name around 2007-2009, my uncle was the "proprietor."

What should I do then? Thanks

SEC i-View would not really be the same as getting an official certification that the company's registration has been revoked.And the next question that arises is: Why was its registration revoked?

But...

On the assumption that the company's revocation was due to its failure to submit annual documentary requirements , and on the further assumption that your uncle became the owner afterwards, you'll have to buy the business from your uncle (if he is dead already, his heirs have to execute an extrajudicial settlement of estate w/ sale, wherein they sell the business [to include the fixtures and equipment used in and about the business; the stock of goods, wares, merchandise, provisions and materials of the business; and the goodwill and right to use the name of the business] to you.

Note that the seller has to make an inventory of the stock of goods, wares, merchandise, or material in bulk to be purchased; as well as notify all creditors of the business of the price, terms and conditions of the sale at least 10 days before delivery to the buyer (see Act 3952, Bulk Sales Law), otherwise the sale is void and you could even be held liable for violation of Act 3952.

Edited by rocco69

SEC i-View would not really be the same as getting an official certification that the company's registration has been revoked.And the next question that arises is: Why was its registration revoked?

But...

On the assumption that the company's revocation was due to its failure to submit annual documentary requirements , and on the further assumption that your uncle became the owner afterwards, you'll have to buy the business from your uncle (if he is dead already, his heirs have to execute an extrajudicial settlement of estate w/ sale, wherein they sell the business [to include the fixtures and equipment used in and about the business; the stock of goods, wares, merchandise, provisions and materials of the business; and the goodwill and right to use the name of the business] to you.

Note that the seller has to make an inventory of the stock of goods, wares, merchandise, or material in bulk to be purchased; as well as notify all creditors of the business of the price, terms and conditions of the sale at least 10 days before delivery to the buyer (see Act 3952, Bulk Sales Law), otherwise the sale is void and you could even be held liable for violation of Act 3952.

Our assumption is that the company failed to submit the annual documentary requirements. My uncle is still alive. He didn't renew the permits of the business since the year 2011, thus, operating the business with virtually no permit whatsoever. He's using his 'influence' with the city hall as a retired police Colonel to skip the payment of the permits.

Is there any way we can get the business without involving in a sale? Since the business is not registered since 2011?

Our assumption is that the company failed to submit the annual documentary requirements. My uncle is still alive. He didn't renew the permits of the business since the year 2011, thus, operating the business with virtually no permit whatsoever. He's using his 'influence' with the city hall as a retired police Colonel to skip the payment of the permits.

Is there any way we can get the business without involving in a sale? Since the business is not registered since 2011?

1. Is there any way we can get the business without involving in a sale? Since the business is not registered since 2011?

Since your uncle is the one "running" the funeral business, there is no way that you can get the assets and operate the business without him knowing.

And given that he has been operating the business as a single proprietorship for about a decade now, without any objection from his siblings, it appears that he really is the owner of the business, as any right to object thereto has probably already prescribed.

Accordingly, to get the business without a sale would require that your uncle donate the business to you.

Note that registration only affects the right of the business to operate in the city where it is located. It does not resolve the question of who owns the business.

1. Is there any way we can get the business without involving in a sale? Since the business is not registered since 2011?

Since your uncle is the one "running" the funeral business, there is no way that you can get the assets and operate the business without him knowing.

And given that he has been operating the business as a single proprietorship for about a decade now, without any objection from his siblings, it appears that he really is the owner of the business, as any right to object thereto has probably already prescribed.

Accordingly, to get the business without a sale would require that your uncle donate the business to you.

Note that registration only affects the right of the business to operate in the city where it is located. It does not resolve the question of who owns the business.

Oh ok. Thank you Sir!

Bakit di ka na lang magtayo ng sarili mong funeral parlor? Less hassle pa.

Insufficient capital. And my goal is to preserve the family business. It's been there na kasi for 60+ years, established by my grandfather. So, pursuing it because of it's sentimental value rather than the material value. Hehe

Hi guys i need ur opinion, Im planning to rent a place to build my own business but the owner of the place said that i should do a feasibilty study first to know that if there is really a market on what im going to do with his place.

Is it like the owner is denying me or what?

Hi guys i need ur opinion, Im planning to rent a place to build my own business but the owner of the place said that i should do a feasibilty study first to know that if there is really a market on what im going to do with his place.

Is it like the owner is denying me or what?

Or what.

Sounds like good advice to me.

unsolicited advice (i'm not a lawyer)

@pinpoint - advice, buy the shares from the shareholders, if the shareholders are dead, get an attorney to facilitate the sale or transfer of shares from your relatives to you or to whoever is applicable. its quite tedious. if i were you, sweet talk everyone, board resolution and restructure the corporation and amend it with the sec.

@percent caffeine - advice, get a lawyer. I think it can be heard on the small claims court.

- I have a question -

we have a lot around 3000 sq.m in bulacan, after a survey, we found out that an adjacent house has encroached into our lot. problem is its a 2 storey concrete house, now, the owner decided to get a 3rd party surveyor to check it again. and same result. it has been a long time since, now the owner of the house passed away already. and now we would like to utilize the lot (for rental) and construction will be ongoing soon. what legal action can we take and any other alternative thru this problem? thanks in advance.

Gano kalaki ang nakuhang lupa sa inyo?

Gano kalaki ang nakuhang lupa sa inyo?

basically dahil inusog yun monuments yun line ng perimeter walls nag encroach around give or take 1.2 meter inwards, 50m long. the walls will be demolished and we will build our own wall based on the survey. problem is the portion of the house (firewall) that encroached.

basically dahil inusog yun monuments yun line ng perimeter walls nag encroach around give or take 1.2 meter inwards, 50m long. the walls will be demolished and we will build our own wall based on the survey. problem is the portion of the house (firewall) that encroached.

Ang laki ng 1.2m x 50m.. Sila ang nagpagawa ng firewall? Basically ang firewall kahit wala na, ideretso nyo nlng pader okaya idikit nyo sa pader ung firewall since mag coconstruct keo..

Tama ba na firewall lng ung sisirain? Kase buti firewall lang, kase pag mismong house na, malaking gastusan un, usually bilihin nlng nila ung lupa nakuha nila + amelyar yearly

Ang laki ng 1.2m x 50m.. Sila ang nagpagawa ng firewall? Basically ang firewall kahit wala na, ideretso nyo nlng pader okaya idikit nyo sa pader ung firewall since mag coconstruct keo..

Tama ba na firewall lng ung sisirain? Kase buti firewall lang, kase pag mismong house na, malaking gastusan un, usually bilihin nlng nila ung lupa nakuha nila + amelyar yearly

hindi po ubra. yun perimeter walls usog namin. pero yun perimeter walkway mawala. we already informed them, we will buy their property to save money. they don't want. basically mahal na din yun lupa and the house means everything to them. so we asked them buy our property, they cant no money. so we asked to rebuild the firewall at their boundary. they don't want well basically wala din pera para sa construction. we asked for a lease on that portion of the property, also reject. so off to the courts na cguro. mabagal na process... yun part ng house na affected is 1.2 (encroached length) x 5.5 (encroached width)

affected yun 2 bedrooms sa 2nd floor and yun kitchen sa baba.

we bought that thing way back 1980's (even before they built anything there as in talahiban lahat) they started building a shanty and slowly becoming concrete and all. around 1990's~2000's nobody noticed that the monuments were moved. but as we are planning to build there, planning stage, we asked a surveyor to check the boundaries and any encroachment. we don't want to encroach to any property and later knowing we need to demolish something or move a wall. that's costly. so the surveyor found out that the adjacent property has encroached on our property.

then talked with the owner of the adjacent property. tigas ng ulo and cannot be discussed in an orderly manner. mali na nga tao ayaw pa magpatalo... re survey, re survey, all findings same.

I guess we let the long process take over. maybe in 5-10 years we'll get it. saying mga plans sa lugar na yun. oh well... pinas..

hindi po ubra. yun perimeter walls usog namin. pero yun perimeter walkway mawala. we already informed them, we will buy their property to save money. they don't want. basically mahal na din yun lupa and the house means everything to them. so we asked them buy our property, they cant no money. so we asked to rebuild the firewall at their boundary. they don't want well basically wala din pera para sa construction. we asked for a lease on that portion of the property, also reject. so off to the courts na cguro. mabagal na process... yun part ng house na affected is 1.2 (encroached length) x 5.5 (encroached width)

we bought that thing way back 1980's (even before they built anything there as in talahiban lahat) they started building a shanty and slowly becoming concrete and all. around 1990's~2000's nobody noticed that the monuments were moved. but as we are planning to build there, planning stage, we asked a surveyor to check the boundaries and any encroachment. we don't want to encroach to any property and later knowing we need to demolish something or move a wall. that's costly. so the surveyor found out that the adjacent property has encroached on our property.

then talked with the owner of the adjacent property. tigas ng ulo and cannot be discussed in an orderly manner. mali na nga tao ayaw pa magpatalo... re survey, re survey, all findings same.

I guess we let the long process take over. maybe in 5-10 years we'll get it. saying mga plans sa lugar na yun. oh well... pinas..

1.2 x 5.5 ang na enroached? Basically kase pagbabayadin lng tlg sila ng court e,, once kase may nakatira and building lalo mahirap ang usapan.. Ayaw pa kase magbayad ng may-ari sa nakuha nyang space

May nangyare din gnyn s akin,, maliit na lupa sa crowded space.. Naunahan ako patayuan ng katabe ko s left kaya nakuhaan nya ako ng 1m x 6m tapos ung sa right side vacant.. Ung nasa right ko nagrereklamo na lumiit ang lupa nya, kase ung katabe nyang isa nagpatayo na din, nakuhaan din xa basically.. Ehh ako ngayon ang sinisisi nya kase wala nmn ako sa lugar lagi,, nilagyan nya pa ng line ung pader facing front as patunay (lame actions) ,, di kase xa entertain ng city municipal for surveyor kase di xa nagbabayad ng amelyar

In summary, pinabayaan ko na ung nanguha s akin ng lupa,, kase mahabang process and magastos pa, away, blablabla,, dont want to undergo such things

Pero in your situation or family situation I hope everything settles out where you can be contented sa solution =)

• 4 weeks later...

I need help with legal advise, please help. My sister was involved in a vehicular accident, she was in a taxi going along Hemady st. when suddenly a car hit the driver side of the taxi making the taxi spin 2x before hitting the pavement, the car was crossing Hemady, I don't know the reason why he didn't see the in coming taxi, my sister was tossed inside the taxi, hurt her head and elbow, she has bruising on her elbow and a bumb on her head. she was brought to the hospital, procedures were done, luckily no serious injuries, she just need to wear an arm sling for a while and take pills for her pain, she has pain on her head, neck and upper extremity.

Now this is my concern, the other driver wants to settle and doesn't want any charges to be filled against him, the driver is a student from a prominent university, driving an expensive car, it happened early saturday morning, not sure if the driver had been drinking. Few hour after the accident the driver came to my sister's place with someone who introduce himself as someone who works for the driver's dad (I think he's a lawyer), they want to settle and was asking my sister to write a letter stating that she will not file a case against the driver. My sister was advised by someone to have the driver pay for her medical expenses, transportation cost and a few days lost wages, a cost which I think is just a meager amount. To be honest, I want to teach this guy a lesson so he would learn that there are consequences to his actions, If that means getting more money from them, then so be it. My sister doesn't want to file charges because the police said it will be a long process and it his be a hassle to everyone.

My questions to our members who knows the law or anyone who has experience with this kind of situation, How much should we ask? Aside from medical expenses and lost wages, are there any other reason for us to ask for compensation?

Thanks!

I need help with legal advise, please help. My sister was involved in a vehicular accident, she was in a taxi going along Hemady st. when suddenly a car hit the driver side of the taxi making the taxi spin 2x before hitting the pavement, the car was crossing Hemady, I don't know the reason why he didn't see the in coming taxi, my sister was tossed inside the taxi, hurt her head and elbow, she has bruising on her elbow and a bumb on her head. she was brought to the hospital, procedures were done, luckily no serious injuries, she just need to wear an arm sling for a while and take pills for her pain, she has pain on her head, neck and upper extremity.

Now this is my concern, the other driver wants to settle and doesn't want any charges to be filled against him, the driver is a student from a prominent university, driving an expensive car, it happened early saturday morning, not sure if the driver had been drinking. Few hour after the accident the driver came to my sister's place with someone who introduce himself as someone who works for the driver's dad (I think he's a lawyer), they want to settle and was asking my sister to write a letter stating that she will not file a case against the driver. My sister was advised by someone to have the driver pay for her medical expenses, transportation cost and a few days lost wages, a cost which I think is just a meager amount. To be honest, I want to teach this guy a lesson so he would learn that there are consequences to his actions, If that means getting more money from them, then so be it. My sister doesn't want to file charges because the police said it will be a long process and it his be a hassle to everyone.

My questions to our members who knows the law or anyone who has experience with this kind of situation, How much should we ask? Aside from medical expenses and lost wages, are there any other reason for us to ask for compensation?

Thanks!

How much should we ask? Aside from medical expenses and lost wages, are there any other reason for us to ask for compensation?

Kung magkano ang gusto nyo. Kayo ang naperwisyo eh. Note however that your demand has to be tailored to the situation (magkano kaya nilang bayaran, at magkano ang WILLING SILANG MAGBAYAD!) Its a question of negotiation. Kung hihingi kayo ng isang milyon, "magkasuhan na lang tayo" will be the usual result. Pero pwede kayong magpatong sa medical expenses at lost wages, dahil sa inconvenience, annoyance, at hassle caused by the injuries. Say, P100,000 ang medical expenses at lost wages, I'd say pwede kayo padagdag ng additional 50 - 100k. Note, however, that you have to be prepared to file a criminal case, walang bluff dito. Either you reach a settlement or you file a case, dapat ganun ang mentalidad ninyo dito.

Hi, need lang po ng Legal Advise for my situation at work.

About to resign na po kasi ako. Then nagkaroon po ako ng kasong AWOL sa kalagitnaan. Then nagkaroon po nang usapan between me and the HR na hindi raw ako ite-terminate at bibigyan pa rin daw po ng proper resignation as long as mag-turnover po ako. Ngayon po, ang problema ko po, nagpa-clearance na po ako pero parang ayaw pa pong pirmahan ng immediate supervisor ko na siya rin naman pong nagpamadali ng last day ko taliwas sa nakalagay sa resignation letter ko po. Kahit po yung Certificate of Employment ayaw rin po nilang mag-issue sa akin.

Kailangan lang po ng payo. Salamat sa kahit sinong makakapagbigay ng tulong :)

Hi, need lang po ng Legal Advise for my situation at work.

About to resign na po kasi ako. Then nagkaroon po ako ng kasong AWOL sa kalagitnaan. Then nagkaroon po nang usapan between me and the HR na hindi raw ako ite-terminate at bibigyan pa rin daw po ng proper resignation as long as mag-turnover po ako. Ngayon po, ang problema ko po, nagpa-clearance na po ako pero parang ayaw pa pong pirmahan ng immediate supervisor ko na siya rin naman pong nagpamadali ng last day ko taliwas sa nakalagay sa resignation letter ko po. Kahit po yung Certificate of Employment ayaw rin po nilang mag-issue sa akin.

Kailangan lang po ng payo. Salamat sa kahit sinong makakapagbigay ng tulong :)

Kausapin mo. Pag di pa rin kayo magkasundo, punta ka sa NLRC (PPSTA Bldg., Banawe near corner Quezon Avenue) para magreklamo.