Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

install sp2 if your computer is ready for it.. kung hindi... di lang security ang problem mo... pati buong pc mo na.. di na kasi gagana ng maayos

kung di ready ang pc mo for winXP sp2 then you're better off downgrading to win2K and installing sp4. XP is not worth it without sp2 especially if you go online all the time.

think about it, besides the difference in the interface, XP (out of the box) doesn't offer a whole lot that win2K can't do. so why would you install a great looking OS that has a joke for a security when you can run something older but more solid and runs better on your old and slow pc?

online security ba ang main problem sa XP SP2? .....

it's time for ........ LINUX (mandrake, redhat, whathaveyou......)!!!!

been using one in partnership with my pirated XP for the past year..

when playing games, login ako sa XP, pero kung internet, sa GNU/linux (mandrake 8) .... 1 week lang ang learning curve mo dito, okay na..... and there are a lot of available softwares/resources available......

online security ba ang main problem sa XP SP2? .....

it's time for ........ LINUX (mandrake, redhat, whathaveyou......)!!!!

been using one in partnership with my pirated XP for the past year..

when playing games, login ako sa XP, pero kung internet, sa GNU/linux (mandrake 8) .... 1 week lang ang learning curve mo dito, okay na..... and there are a lot of available softwares/resources available......

Actually, Windows XP SP2 has the fewest security related problems compared with previous versions. (That's assuming that they're running the built-in firewall.) The only real problem lies if you visit *ehem* "sites" and blindly click on everything. I've been using XP SP2 ever since it was released (downloaded it on my 56k modem :D ), switched to FireFox and hasn't had a single problem ever since. IE is the hole here. Just switch to a non-IE based browser such as FireFox and you eliminate the biggest hole in Windows XP! :headsetsmiley:

she's right, skibeth.  but having one does not really matter.  he can keep on using it without any legal repercussions.  that should be the least of your worries.  merry christmas to you and your fam!  ;)

can't thank you enough for the advices you gave... you're really of big help to me and my family... merry christmas and a happy new year to you too and to your family!!! Godbless

does anybody know how--if it's possible--to recover files from an NTFS partition whose original Windows 2000 OS has already been written over? silly me, i thought i could just re-install the OS after it started failing to boot because of corrupted/missing system files. but now i keep getting the message, "invalid security descriptor" when trying to access folders i had previously encrypted to restrict access (even when logged on as administrator).

i've also tried connecting the HDD as the slave drive in another pc with Windows xp pro, and still got that "invalid security descriptor" error message when trying to access my encrypted folders (other files/folders not similarly encrypted were accessible though).

any comments/advise are welcomed...

does anybody know how--if it's possible--to recover files from an NTFS partition whose original Windows 2000 OS has already been written over? silly me, i thought i could just re-install the OS after it started failing to boot because of corrupted/missing system files. but now i keep getting the message, "invalid security descriptor" when trying to access folders i had previously encrypted to restrict access (even when logged on as administrator).

i've also tried connecting the HDD as the slave drive in another pc with Windows xp pro, and still got that "invalid security descriptor" error message when trying to access my encrypted folders (other files/folders not similarly encrypted were accessible though).

any comments/advise are welcomed...

You won't be able to access the files/folders since it's encrypted :cry: . NTFS' EFS (Encrypting File System) uses a public key cryptography scheme which uses a randomly generated :boo: FEK (file encryption key) for encryption which is stored in the user's profile. According to Micro$oft :P , there exists a method by which to access such files/folders which involves designating specific users as Recovery Agents through the Group Policy Editor IN SERVER/CLIENT ENVIRONMENTS. If you're a HOME USER, there's NO WAY (as far as I know :unsure: ) to actually decrypt the files since the private key used to decrypt it has already been erased :cry: . This is the reason why I don't encrypt using NTFS' EFS since I frequently format my system. :headsetsmiley:

You won't be able to access the files/folders since it's encrypted  :cry: . NTFS' EFS (Encrypting File System) uses a public key cryptography scheme which uses a randomly generated  :boo:  FEK (file encryption key) for encryption which is stored in the user's profile. According to Micro$oft  :P , there exists a method by which to access such files/folders which involves designating specific users as Recovery Agents through the Group Policy Editor IN SERVER/CLIENT ENVIRONMENTS. If you're a HOME USER, there's NO WAY (as far as I know  :unsure: ) to actually decrypt the files since the private key used to decrypt it has already been erased :cry: . This is the reason why I don't encrypt using NTFS' EFS since I frequently format my system.  :headsetsmiley:

may natutunan nanaman akong bago dito :)

yup, i'm a home user, so i guess that means adieu to those encrypted files, huh?

but what about folders that weren't encrypted (also located in the NTFS partition), but simply had the "Make this folder private" option turned on (thus allowing read/write/modify permissions only to the owner)? can they still be recovered under the circumstances?

yup, i'm a home user, so i guess that means adieu to those encrypted files, huh?

but what about folders that weren't encrypted (also located in the NTFS partition), but simply had the "Make this folder private" option turned on (thus allowing read/write/modify permissions only to the owner)? can they still be recovered under the circumstances?

but what about folders that weren't encrypted (also located in the NTFS partition), but simply had the "Make this folder private" option turned on (thus allowing read/write/modify permissions only to the owner)?  can they still be recovered under the circumstances?

I am not so sure about this one but I think you can still access it by logging in as the Administrator (not AN ADMINISTRATOR...AS the ADMINISTRATOR...ok? :P ). If that doesn't work :blush: , try resetting all file/folder permissions on the affected drive. That should give you access to everything. Please post about your results as I haven't tested this yet. :headsetsmiley:

sir, favor, need an advice regarding credit card theft. my friend's credit card (citibank and HSBC) was stolen in her office in makati. This was during lunch break. when she realized that her wallet was stolen, she immediately called up citibank first. it took her more than half an hour to get through there hotline. Grabe ang tagal sya pina hold. :grr: by the time she was able to get through, transactions amounting to 7500 had already been made in ralphs liqour in makati pasong tamo. upon the reporting the incident to citibank, she immediatlety called up hsbc. HSBC informed her that transaction amounting to 15,000 had already been made in Smart Telecom in SM bicutan. All of this happened during lunch hour. From the time her lunch break started up to the time that the last transaction was made (Smart sm bicutan) took only 1hour and 15min.

We already made an affidavit off loss and sent dispute forms to both credit card companies. We also attached letters stating why we should not be held liable and why the transactions should be waved, But unfortunately both companies held her liable despite the fact that both card companies can be held liable for there negligence.

Citibank for its part had a hotline that is very hard to get through. HSBC did not make any verification before pushing through with the transaction. The transaction made in the HSBC card was a substantial amount of Php15,000.00.

sir may chance pa ba na ma waive ito despite there decision to have her liable? :(

Tnx and peace :(

tried it, bro.  result: "invalid security descriptor" in mah face!  :(

Is your current machine's name the same name that it had when you had access to the files? If not try renaming it to the previous name or else I doubt if you can access it. (I think... :P ) Try booting to safe mode and adjusting the permissions there...maybe that will help, other than that, I think it's like your previous problem. :headsetsmiley: