What's The Last Book You've Read?

"Wacht Am Rhein" (Watch on the Rhine)

author: John Ringo

genre: Sci-Fi/War

Description: A German Panzergroup fighting invading aliens. :cool:

Slightly OT but FYI: Guys, if you are into fantasy or sci-fi, Baen Books has a website with a virtual library. You can download selected books (complete) for free. The website is www.baen.com

No copyright issues - the books are downloadable courtesy of the respective authors.

on the subject of baen books...

if you are into IT or more specifically have programming background, i highly recommend rick cook's the wizard series. can be downloaded from here -> http://www.baen.com/library/rcook.htm

Thanks for the tip. :) I'll check it out even though I dont have IT/programming background. I know more about history/war - hence the military sci-fi books.

I finished reading 48 Laws of Power by Greene/Elffers last week. There's a lot of political truth's in there so don't believe everything you read. If you're on the receiving end, you'll just get paranoid thinking someone's out there trying put one over you. On the otherhand, It's good to know, just in case. People can't be all that bad so I'm currently reading Maxwell's 21 Irrefutable Laws Of Leadership.

This afternoon I re-read one of my favorite children's book called The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I can't remember how many nights I have had to read this book over and over again as each of my daughters were growing up but I never got weary reading it to them. It's a beautiful book (very short) and I would highly recommend that it be read by adults even. Here's an excerpt which I think is the most beautiful part of the book:

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

The Rabbit sighed. He thought it would be a long time before this magic called Real happened to him. He longed to become Real, to know what it felt like; and yet the idea of growing shabby and losing his eyes and whiskers was rather sad. He wished that he could become it without these uncomfortable things happening to him.

^ I got my seven year old niece that book for her birthday 2 wks ago. Slept over at her place last week and read parts of it to her... I still cry whenever I read that book.

I finished 5 People You Meet in Heaven in 2 hours. Quick read but very interesting.

Right now... I am hellbent on finishing Cryptonomicon and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell

I must. :D

Edited by Wyld
Guest mitchiko1000

right now im still reading MAGIS...joy life....it was given to me an older female freind...who happen one of the contributors of that book...

isinulat sya ng mga atenista..headed by mam QUENNA LEE CHUA (sayang nd ako nakahabol sa book launch na yun)...nakasulat dun ang mga ilang kabanata tungkol sa mga buhay nila and very inspring..

i rili do miss you mam Grace.....