N F L - National Football League

Vince Young would make people forget about Michael Vick...

Or maybe wonder about him too...

Two big things going against Vince Young: "Sophomore Jinx" and "Madden Curse".

And man, by the looks of it both seemed to be in full effect as he sure looked like bag of potatoes (4 sacks) during that pre-season game against the Pats.

I'd agree that if Young somehow successfully mixes up the passing/rushing game like Dogkiller, he's gonna have a good, maybe even grand sophomore season.

The parallels are just compelling: QB's both with powerful yet erratic arms who will often opt to masquerade as running backs when they feel like it or when they can't make the completion.

Still, I'm inclined put my money on his draft classmate, Reggie Bush to have a bigger season this year.

before vince young there was mike vick ... before vick there was mcnabb .. before mcnabb there was mcnair .. before mcnair there was ... randall cunningham the original weapon x .. qb, punter .. only guy who can pass 99 yards in one play and kick a 60 yard punt the next play ... even return a punt ...

young can benefit by watching the history of the running qbs before him ... randall didnt have a system behind him, he was told by his coach to go out there and make a play by feet or by air .. doesnt matter .. much like vick whos also a run first qb ... mcnabb is benefitting from his offensive system .. he can stay in the pocket and wait for a play to develop and still have the option to run if nothing pans out ... as for the madden curse .... vick was on it the year he went to the nfc title game .... so im not really putting much credence on it ... young needs to be disciplined in the pocket and be real smart when to run .. but for my money with that batch of draftees .. i think leinart will be the most succesful

as for vick's predicament i can see him doing a mea culpa on live tv ... go to jail for months then go out on probation and play for either the raiders or cowboys next year .. if not theres always canada....

as for the madden curse .... vick was on it the year he went to the nfc title game .... so im not really putting much credence on it ...

i think you got the vick nfc title game different from his madden year..

Michael Vick (2004)

Five days after Madden NFL 2004 released featuring Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick on the cover, he was injured during a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens, suffering a fractured right fibula. Vick played in only the last 5 regular season games, finishing with just 585 yards passing and 4 touchdowns. The Atlanta Falcons missed the playoffs and were already out of contention by the time Vick returned from his injury. The Falcons finished the season with a record of 5-11, a drop from their 9-6-1 record the season prior.

Ok. I didn't know that Young is teh cover for the Madden game. Damn, too bad for the Titans...

Who do you guys think would be the first rookie to replace their starting QB this season?

Brady Quinn. He's made hay in limited preseason minutes with, ahem, the Browns of all people. He's got the pedigree (Notre Dame) and smarts to be a good QB but his poor showing at the combine caused his draft stock to fall fast. The job is pretty much Charlie Frye's to lose but I'd wager that Quinn gets it by midseason.

Of course, JaMarcus Russell's protracted holdout with Oakland makes it much less likely for this year's top draft pick to make a marquee name for himself early on, let alone get on the Gridiron...

Edited by gift_of_game

my presonal rankings

1. Patriots - Tom Brady finally gets the recievers that will show his true strength. Maroney will establish himself as one of the premiere backs of the future. The defense is still the same from their superbowl teams new acquisition Adalius Thomas should be a big help.

2. Chargers - Rivers, LT and Gates plus Mr End zone Vincent Jackson and the best backup rb out there Michael Turner. High motor defense led by Mr Lights out himself Shawn Merriman.

3. Colts - The champs are poised to repeat .. Peyton will make sure of that. Dungy's D is nothing to laugh about either.

4. Saints - Sean Peyton's version of the west coast offense will take this team far, the gamebreaker Reggie Bush looks to build on his phenomenal year last year shored up defense should be a big help

5. Ravens - Willis McGahee should be a big upgrade on the Offensive front. Top D in the league is still the top d... Adalious Thomas leaving isnt that big a hurt, i still think he's a system guy.

6. Bears - Upgrade on D with the Archuleta and Adams acquisiton. Offensive performance will be on Rex Grossman .. he plays good they win.. he plays bad .. they lose. Big question on Cedric Benson's running. Rookie TE Greg Olsen looks like he can help on the O side.

7. Broncos - Travis Henry's power running should fit right in. Jay Cutler looks to move forward from last year's impressive performance. Al Wilson's D will be missed, but Dre Bly should be an upgrade on the db side.

8. Eagles - A healthy McNabb should make this a very high scoring offense.. combined with Brian Westbrook. Newly added wr Kevin Curtis should provide speed and spread the field. The new look D should stand tall and be better against the run.

9. Seahawks - Questions in the wr corp. but Shaun Alexander should be back like new and run all over defenses. An improved pass rush should spruce up the D.

10. Bengals - A very high powered offense matched with a very poor defense. Carson Palmer looks to break Peyton's TD pass record with a healthy Chad Johnson and deep threat TJ Houshmandzadeh. Defense should be slightly better.. the off season was spent shoring up the D.. besides Marvin Lewis was hired bec of his reputation as being one of the sharpest defensive minds.

11. Jaguars - Stability in the qb position should be a plus. The passing game looks to improve from last year. The running game anchored by MJD and Fred Taylor. A defense oriented draft should help the Jack Del rio defense.

12. Cowboys - This is the year for Romo to prove that he is not a flash in the pan. TO should be well behaved with Parcells leaving. Health questions on the D side still abound, but if Ellis and Newman prove themselves healthy this team will be in the mix for a post season berth.

13. Jets - Thomas Jones should benefit from the line built for Curtis Martin. Mangenius has proven last year that he is here to stay, the D should be improved from last year, so is the offense.

14. Steelers - New offense and new defense for this team bodes well for the team. The three wide set should benefit Roethlisberger. willie Parker can run .. but can he hold on to the ball? Improved in all facets of the game this team should challenge Cincy for the AFC north crown.

15. Panthers - Very good D meets a lackluster O. Questions on whether DelHomme can still play and will Steve Smith's health hold up.

16. 49ers - The new look Niners should surprise people. This team will make the former cakewalk of a conference, (NFC West) the toughest conference. Nevermind that they got killed by the Bears during the preseason, but thats why its called the preseason.. the game doesnt count.

17. Cardinals - The new coaching staff should help this team.. the genius behind the Superbowl winning Steelers team is now running the show. They have improved the O line, look for Edge to run for more yards, Leinart to make better use of his tag team deep threats of Fitz and Anquan.

18. Rams - SJax should have a banner year, Mr Accuracy Marc Bulger passing to Tory and Bruce .. this should be a good team.

19. Chiefs - QB questions abound.. LJ holding out didnt help.. needs wr to help Tony out. Solid D.. but questionable offense.

20. Lions - Jon Kitna is making the most of his 2nd chance... it doesnt hurt to have Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson lining up on the outside. Young and talented D looks to improve from their last year performance.

21. Bills - Lee, Jp and Marshawn should put up points ... but i dont think itll be enough .. this team is a couple of playmakers away from being credible.

22. Giants - Tiki will be missed. Eli has too many kinks. Aging D.

23. Packers - Too many questions on the offensive side, young and up coming defense.

24. Redskins - I dont think Campbell is ready .. and the new defense doesnt look that good.

25. Texans - The defense looks to win games... but the offense has too many questions ... looking to spoil some team's hopes.

26. Titans - Too many questions on the O side .. and only one answer.. Vince Young.. could go either way.. im just not convinced.

27. Vikings - Tarvaris Jackson is still learning .. Adrian Peterson should be some help.. but thats all.

28. Falcons - The Micheal Vick saga is still fresh for this team to rebound and have a good year.

29. Dolphins - Too many changes for this team to be of any good ... only Ronnie Brown looks to be consistent.. and thats not enough.

30. Buccaneers - a hit or miss ... most likely a miss. Needs big plays from the D to make any impact on the season... Garcia as qb should help.... maybe.

31. Browns - romeo Crennel is on the hot seat.. the bad news Browns looks to improve from last year .. but Brady doesnt look like he will have any impact ...look for a mid season qb change ... and an off season spent building around him.

32. Raiders - last year's worst team looks to repeat.. problems signing the future qb ... losing their best wr .. much like their stadium .. this team seems to be stuck in a Black Hole.

disclaimer!

i am not an expert .. i just love the game

offseason predictions:

AFC Championship Game : Colts at the Chargers

NFC Championship Game : Eagles at the Saints

Superbowl: Saints vs Chargers

sean peyton messed up his game planning .. he shouldve let deuce run more instead of going crazy with Bush... i still think the Colts D wouldve broken down if they got pounded by a big power back .. then put in stecker as a change of pace back .. then let bush go wild with screen passes and lining up as a wr.

sean peyton messed up his game planning .. he shouldve let deuce run more instead of going crazy with Bush... i still think the Colts D wouldve broken down if they got pounded by a big power back .. then put in stecker as a change of pace back .. then let bush go wild with screen passes and lining up as a wr.

Probably...

But I guess NO went with what was there (or what they thought was there) and tried rolling with it.

The carries were divided evenly enough but it seemed like neither back could do any damage against the Colts---which looked much better than expected.

It wasn't the Bears or Ravens by any stretch of imagination but they sure did enough to also render the Saints' top-notch WR corps as nonfactors.

well.. with hindsight being 20/20.. its easy to say what they should have done....

indy it turns out has an easy first quarter sched ... they meet denver on week four.... then a hard second half .. with the Pats on week 9, Chargers on week 10, Kansas City on week 11,and the Ravens on week 14 .. so 11-5 (maybe even better) is a very possible record for this team .. and maybe splitting the season series with jacksonville .. their conference rivals

lets play the football pick em game .... pick who you think will win for the coming week's schedule...

Sunday, September 9

Denver at Buffalo - Denver

Pittsburgh at Cleveland - Pittsburgh

Philadelphia at Green Bay - Philadelphia

Kansas City at Houston - Houston

Tennessee at Jacksonville - Jacksonville

Atlanta at Minnesota - Minnesota

New England at NY Jets - New England

Carolina at St. Louis - St Louis

Miami at Washington - Miami

Detroit at Oakland - Detroit

Chicago at San Diego - San Diego

Tampa Bay at Seattle - Seattle

NY Giants at Dallas - Dallas

Monday, September 10

Baltimore at Cincinnati - Baltimore

Arizona at San Francisco - San Francisco

lets play the football pick em game .... pick who you think will win for the coming week's schedule...

Sunday, September 9

Denver at Buffalo - Denver - Denver >4

Pittsburgh at Cleveland - Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh >4

Philadelphia at Green Bay - Philadelphia - Green Bay (Upset of the Week) <4

Kansas City at Houston - Houston - Houston <4

Tennessee at Jacksonville - Jacksonville - Jacksonville <4

Atlanta at Minnesota - Minnesota - Minnesota >4

New England at NY Jets - New England - New England (go FaFa Tom! HAHA!) >4

Carolina at St. Louis - St Louis - Carolina <4

Miami at Washington - Miami - Washington (Homer pick of the Week) <4

Detroit at Oakland - Detroit - Detroit >4

Chicago at San Diego - San Diego - San Diego <4

Tampa Bay at Seattle - Seattle - Seattle >4

NY Giants at Dallas - Dallas - Dallas >4

Monday, September 10

Baltimore at Cincinnati - Baltimore - B'More (Homer pick for the next week) <4

Arizona at San Francisco - San Francisco - San Francisco (Gore will go apeshit) <4

Bro DH, napanood mo ba yung "Two for the Money"?