Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Yup ring (or cage) rust in this case might be another thing going against Brock in this case. Rust affects a lot of fighters but even more so it affects fighters who really aren't that experienced. Brock has a 4-1 MMA Record, 5 matches in all so you can say that back then he really was still finding his way around the cage and now you add a long layoff that would significantly magnify IMO the effects of ring rust.

Now if he did experiment with something like fighting southpaw or changing anything significant about his diet for this fight and he didn't do it properly that's gonna affect him even more so.

but then again he might just surprise everyone.

i do hope he surprises everyone (in a good way if i might add). nothing would be more rewarding than for him to retain his belt after almost calling it quits both in MMA and in life. i guess that's really the only reason why i'd like to see him victorious against carwin. he's been through so much adversity, i'd hate for him to lose because of his prolonged absence in the cage. but that's just mine :)

One more thing about how the long layoff might have affected Brock has to do with how much weight he might have cut to make it to 265. Fighters usually have a steady walking weight from which they cut down into... a layoff will probably increase the walking weight by some amount (though of course it's kinda hard to tell when someone's as big as Brock Lesnar) and this might have been the motivation for Brock to try out a new diet.

Also the comment made about Brock trying to go southpaw... it shouts out very clearly that he's thinking 'takedown first' rather than throw leather first (ala Matt Hughes in the third fight of his trilogy with GSP). So it would be very interesting to see indeed if he employs such a strategy against Carwin.

yup you're correct. that was the logic behind brock training southpaw. it's no secret that he wants to put carwin on his back. as his previous fights have shown, he has won most of them via GNP so it's understandable for him to want to take the fight to the ground.

here's the link to the whole southpaw game plan if you're interested (or anyone else for that matter)

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/1/1546950/ufc-116-preview-brock-lesnar#storyjump

cheers!

Edited by jimmii

wow...lesnar what a tough SOB!!! hahahaha..i'm thrilled he won after battling a life threatening illness and especially how he was getting owned by carwin in the 1st. i was sure he was gonna get stopped, but man he hung in there. full credit to him (and jake rosenthal for not stopping it). looks like cain is next, that should be another great fight. i think brock needs to work a ton on his standup/boxing though, he just didn't look confident on his feet and that was the main reason why carwin almost finished him.

i was pretty impressed with leben pulling off a triangle against sexyama and equally disappointed that sexyama gassed after the 1st round. but again, props to the crippler. he took the fight on really, really short notice (basically 2 weeks) and his ground game has improved a lot since the last time i saw him fight.

soti is the real deal. he has defeated 2 top level lightweights now in joe daddy and batman. i really thought batman would come out victorious because of his superior wrestling but soti's ground game is just unreal. what makes his 2 previous victories so impressive is that he's outclassed 2 bjj blackbelts. WOW. maybe we'll see him fight the winner of gray maynard vs kenflo at 118. that would be a sick matchup but we'll have to wait and see.

happy for stephan bonnar as well. thought he was robbed of a victory in his previous fight against soszynski. his stoppage win was very much welcome.

as usual matt brown lost via submission. 7 of his 9 losses have been via sub so it wasn't a surprise that he got submitted. AGAIN.

great card overall.

now it's time for anderson silva to be dumped on his head! can't wait to seem him lose.

Edited by jimmii

UFC 116 picks

Brock Lesnar

Chris Leben

Chris Lytle

Stephen Bonnar

George Sotiropolous

when will other people learn to respect Brock? am i the only one here thinks that he'll hold the belt for a very long time? geez, i don't see cain velasquez beating brck, Lesnar will just toy him around and throw him easily anytime on the ring with that huge body...

5 out of 5 winners this time for me. damn, i so good in mma...

when will other people learn to respect Brock? am i the only one here thinks that he'll hold the belt for a very long time? geez, i don't see cain velasquez beating brck, Lesnar will just toy him around and throw him easily anytime on the ring with that huge body...

5 out of 5 winners this time for me. damn, i so good in mma...

don't forget the long lay off, life threatening illness, lack of experience, untested chin and he was still able to get the job done.

The Akiyama/Leben fight and certainly the Lesnar/Carwin fight only emphasizes again what beauty there is in MMA and that is given the multitude of techniques, of game plans and strategies there are in it 'ANYTHING' and I mean anything is possible.

I mean who would have predicted that the outcomes would have been like that. Either of the two fights could have gone either way. Had Akiyama held on I believe he would have gotten the nod from the judges, if either Carwin didn't punch himself out during that flurry he unleashed in the first or there had been a different referee Brock could have easily lost that fight.

And please don't go diminishing the capabilities of a Cain Velasquez who's next in line at Brock... The foregone conclusion here that Brock simply is gonna toy with him due to his size advantage is really misguided. Remember 'AGAIN' it's MMA and anything can happen. If Cain decides to dance around Brock and pick his shots and not get in a clinch with him Brock can't use that size to his advantage and he won't be able to ragdoll him as some people here think. Carwin's advantage over Brock was his standup and his punching power (and it nearly got him the win). Cain's will be his speed and again his striking. I am looking forward to Brock's next title defense and as I've said kudos to him. kudos for learning jiu jitsu and accepting that there were areas for improvement he had to work on and accepted those.

How Carwin lost was a tad bit similar to how Fedor lost last week. One of the caveats of BJJ is when caught in a hold you react as quickly as possible to create space you don't relax and stay in. A bit of overconfidence in Carwin thinking he had room to work and escape that choke cost him big time.

How Carwin lost was a tad bit similar to how Fedor lost last week. One of the caveats of BJJ is when caught in a hold you react as quickly as possible to create space you don't relax and stay in. A bit of overconfidence in Carwin thinking he had room to work and escape that choke cost him big time.

i guess carwin was too tired to do something against that choke

6 fighters got bonuses (submission, KO, and fights of the night) and Dana said there's more to come which is great..

Lytle should get a bonus as well, the armbar + inverted triangle was sweet.. Petruzelli and Romero should also get bonuses, they were back and forth for two rounds..

But KO of the night was unquestionably for Harris.. the KO slam (ala Rampage in Pride) was awesome..

Carwin lost simple because he punched himself out.. He shuld have remembered that its a 5 round match and should have just passed the half guard and gone for mount... that way, he can inflict even more damage and get a better score with the judges..

let's now see how he rebounds from this loss...

nooooo, Brock again..it is just his size. make him battle someone with his own size... I really hate him boooooooooooo

don't you think they're of the same size..heck! i thought shane was the larger beast during fight time

http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/lesnar_carwin_weigh_ins.jpg

Edited by ray004

i guess carwin was too tired to do something against that choke

yup true. the defense to the choke was pretty simple and he was doing it when Brock first tried to apply it after passing to side control. the fatigue became a factor when Brock started cranking on it and tightening it by moving his hips towards his head. The thing though was it was all started by that takedown... That takedown I was oh so confident Shane could defend.

But then again how could we have known fatigue was gonna affect him in the 2nd round... when no one's ever seen him go to a 2nd round. hehe.

Edited by geneticfreak

Hey, whatever happened to Philippe Nover? Is he out of the UFC? Sayang, he looked promising during the UFC reality show but had a bad start kaagad.

Looks like Mark Munoz has to carry the Philippine flag since Brandon Vera isn't a fierce fighter lately.