Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

EliteXC, Affliction collaboration could be prelude to Fedor vs. Kimbo Slice

by Steve Sievert on Sep 25, 2008 at 11:25 am ET

As a single fight, Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson on next month's EliteXC "Saturday Night Fights" show on CBS doesn't do a whole lot for me.

If the "Pitbull" version of Arlovski who battered and stopped Ben Rothwell inside three rounds back in July shows up against Nelson, the bout could be over in a hurry, with Arlovski getting his hand raised and the scene shifting quickly to the next bout on the card.

It's what this fight means for the future of EliteXC and Affliction that has me counting the days to Oct. 4. Affliction's willingness to sublease Arlovski and Nelson puts fans a step closer to seeing, perhaps, the biggest fight to be made in mixed martial arts today – Fedor Emelianenko against Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson.

At first blush such a match-up might seem laughable – the world's consensus No. 1 heavyweight versus a guy who's fought in MMA three times against opposition with a combined record of 33 wins and 34 losses – but tell me you haven't thought about it. I'm sure Affliction and EliteXC have. And, getting Arlovski and Nelson into the EliteXC mix on CBS is a move that demonstrates that both organizations are willing to back up the talk about their desire to work with other promotions to make big fights.

Few fights would be bigger than Fedor vs. Slice.

Randy Couture's recent reconciliation with the UFC put speculation about a potential Couture-Emelianenko fight back on the front burner. However, with EliteXC and Affliction forging a partnership, which could even lead to a merger down the road, it becomes more likely that both organizations would work together to keep the UFC from making a buck off of a Couture-Emelianenko fight. Matching Emelianenko and Slice is the best way for EliteXC and Affliction to generate interest in their respective promotions, rack up hundreds of thousands of pay-per-view buys, and kick sand in the face of the UFC.

There is certainly plenty of work to be done to turn Emelianenko into a fighting brand in the States. He's fought here only twice and has little recognition beyond the hardcore MMA fan base. Slice, on the other hand, is as mainstream a fighter as there is in MMA. On paper, the fight might be a skills mismatch, but it's a marketer's dream and would be huge.

After the UFC was unable to come to contract terms with Emelianenko last year, UFC President Dana White started publicly bashing the once-beaten Russian, criticizing the quality of his opponents and saying he wasn't even a top five heavyweight. While money has a way of helping a fighter forget about that type of criticism, I would think Emelianenko and his camp would find great satisfaction from still being able to land a huge payday without having to go through White and the UFC to get it. EliteXC and Slice would deliver such a windfall.

EliteXC and Affliction need to do something dramatic to break the UFC's stranglehold on the MMA market. Collaborating on a national stage on CBS is an intriguing first step, but there's another fight out there that has a whole lot more potential.

source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/12853/elitexc-af...kimbo-slice.mma

patay si kimbo dito!!!! fedor will destroy him!!!!

I totally agree that Silva seems unbeatable but then again this is MMA and noone is invincible!

Just trying to dish out a way for Silva not to retire early.

Silva and GSP are two of my favorites...

Anyone knows if there's an organize MMA tournament 1st week of Nov? I have visitors from Canada that wants to see MMA Pinoy style.

Thanks.

I think the next URCC event is scheduled this November (as per my last conversation with Willy Carlos the URCC matchmaker last Saturday) also here's what I know: ROGUE Magazine will be having an MMA event by either the 2nd or 3rd weekend of October. Featured fighters will be coming from the URCC roster.

FEARLESS is scheduled to have it's next event by December naman daw.

Rich Franklin could meet Dan Henderson Jan. 17 at UFC 93

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin (24-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC) could meet former PRIDE title-holder Dan Henderson (23-7 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at a UFC event tentatively scheduled for Jan. 17 at The 02 in Dublin, Ireland.

Sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Franklin-Henderson fight has been discussed as a possibility for the fight card, though bout agreements have not been distributed.

The tentatively scheduled event was first reported by Yahoo! Sport UK & Ireland earlier today.

That report stated that Franklin could meet Chuck Liddell or Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the event's headline bout. But sources close to the fighters said that a Franklin-Henderson fight may be the most likely option.

However, sources said it's not known if the fight would take place at 205 or 185 pounds (nor is it known if the fight would even be a main event). Although Henderson has bounced between the two weight classes, Franklin only recently moved up to 205 pounds after more than three years competing as a middleweight. Earlier this month at UFC 88, he defeated Matt Hamill via third-round TKO (due to a body kick) in his return to light heavyweight.

Meanwhile, after suffering championship losses to then-UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton Jackson at UFC 75 and middleweight title-holder Anderson Silva at UFC 82, Henderson picked up his first UFC victory in more than 10 years with a unanimous-decision victory over Rousimar Palhares at UFC 88.

Recently, Henderson has been rumored as a possible coach for the ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter." The upcoming installment of the UFC's reality series will feature a U.S. vs. U.K. theme and begin filming in January. Season-three winner Michael Bisping is the logical choice to head the U.K. team. However, if he were to fight in January at UFC 93, Henderson would seem an unlikely candidate to head the U.S. squad.

In any manner, UFC 93 could also feature the long-awaited grudge match between former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, according to the Yahoo! report. The "TUF 6" coaches were originally scheduled to meet in December 2007, but Serra was forced out of the bout with a back injury. (Hughes has since been sidelined by a knee injury suffered in a loss to Thiago Alves earlier this year.)

Serra recently told MMAjunkie.com he expects the fight to happen in early 2009 and that he "plans on retiring" Hughes.

Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua vs Mark Coleman UFC 93 fight confirmed Jan. 17

Light heavyweight contender Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-3) will return to the Octagon to rematch Mark Coleman (15-8) in a 205-pound showdown at UFC 93 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland, on January 17, 2009.

“The Hammer” defeated Rua in controversial fashion at PRIDE 31 back in 2006 when an awkward landing broke the Brazilian’s arm less than a minute into the fight. It was a bitter “fluke” loss for the 2005 Pride FC Grand Prix Champion and one that he has been out to avenge ever since it happened.

Rua made his debut with the promotion with much fanfare and promise late last year, being billed as the top 205-pound fighter in the world. He then lost his first match via third round submission (rear naked choke) in an action-packed fight against Forrest Griffin at UFC 76: “Knockout” in September 2007.

Griffin went on to challenge for and win the light heavyweight championship. Meanwhile, Rua had surgery to repair a knee injury, which he then re-injured several months later while training for a fight against Chuck Liddell at UFC 85: “Bedlam” in June that never happened.

He has not competed since the loss to Griffin. And when he does step inside the Octagon against Coleman he will have been on the sidelines for almost a year and a half.

Coleman — the first-ever UFC heavyweight champion and most recent inductee into the promotion’s hall of fame — will return to the Octagon for the first time since 1999. He had a semi-successful run in the Pride FC organization, with the highlight of his work overseas being the champion of the first-ever open weight grand prix in 2000.

Since that time, however, the 43-year-old has compiled an average record (4-4), taking on some of the best competitors in the division such as Fedor Emelianenko (two losses), Mirko Cro Cop (loss) and Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira (loss).

Coleman — the “Godfather” of the ground and pound — is a collegiate national wrestling champion for THE Ohio State University and competed in the Olympics in 1992. He was supposed to challenge Brock Lesnar in his return to the promotion in August before his own injury forced him off the card.

Congrats Pareng Genetic for the Win!? KO ba or Sub?! :thumbsupsmiley:

Thank you and Thanks to all for the well wishes. I got a Unanimous Decision man. I had him mounted or had his back with hooks most of the time but he was wiggling too much I found it kinda hard to establish my base and land enough blows to finish him. I nearly did though a couple of times. I also had a bit of trouble goin for a choke with the thick Bulls Gloves.

Anyhow the URCC's next event will be ROGUE Magazine's Black Tie Brawl on October 18 at the Hyatt Hotel. One of the featured matches will be my wrestling coach Karlo Sevilla going up against Jerry Legaspi from Hybrid Yaw Yan (another one of those SPRAWL- Hybrid Yaw Yan matches).

Then in November I am not sure yet if the next URCC event will be here in manila or in cebu. Will keep you guys posted.

Nogueira vs. Mir, Griffin vs. Evans, Jackson vs. Silva at UFC 92

Finally the TRILOGY is upon us!! Jackson vs Silva III... :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

What the hell happened to Lyoto's title shot??

It does not matter even if Evans knocked Liddell the f*ck out, Lyoto has been on a roll.. IMHO they should have put Lyoto against Rashad first then the winner to challenge Forrest.. but then again, no disrespect to Lyoto coz I'm a fan of his, nobody would watch the Lyoto vs Rashad match.. :lol: :P

Besides, this is the UFC's year-end event, they would put the match-up that the fans would see..

Finally the TRILOGY is upon us!! Jackson vs Silva III... :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

It does not matter even if Evans knocked Liddell the f*ck out, Lyoto has been on a roll.. IMHO they should have put Lyoto against Rashad first then the winner to challenge Forrest.. but then again, no disrespect to Lyoto coz I'm a fan of his, nobody would watch the Lyoto vs Rashad match.. :lol: :P

Besides, this is the UFC's year-end event, they would put the match-up that the fans would see..

As recently as Monday, UFC president Dana White said there were "lots of moving parts" as he tried to complete the company's end-of-year fight cards.

On Wednesday, he at least got the top three fights of UFC 92 finalized.

The co-main events will feature the interim heavyweight title match between champion Antonio Rodrigo and Frank Mir. Forrest Griffin will defend the light heavyweight title against Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will meet Wanderlei Silva, who defeated him twice when they fought in PRIDE.

The Jackson-Silva card had been considered for UFC 91, when the card was slated to be in Portland, Ore., as well for UFC 94, which will be Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

But White said he wanted to "stack" the UFC's traditional New Year's Eve weekend card and managed to do so by putting four of the company's most popular fighters on the card.

The UFC has officially moved the fight card across Las Vegas Blvd. from Mandalay Bay to the MGM Grand Garden.

Jackson will be fighting for the first time since losing the light heavyweight belt to Griffin at UFC 86 on July 5 and a bizarre traffic incident on July 15 in suburban Los Angeles. Jackson was driving on the wrong side of the road and on sidewalks and fled even while being chased by police.

He was charged with two felonies and three misdemeanors and has pled not guilty. He has a Nov. 3 court appearance scheduled.

White has said no drugs or alcohol were involved and that Jackson's actions were fueled by "delirium" caused by days of little sleep, little food and water and excessive intake of energy drinks.

The latest rumored UFC 92 card now features:

* Champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir (for interim UFC heavyweight title)

* Champ Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans (for UFC light heavyweight title)

* Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva

* C.B. Dollaway vs. Jorge Rivera

* Dean Lister vs. Yushin Okami

* Mustafa Al-Turk vs. Cheick Kongo

* Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan

* Ivan Serati vs. TBA

That's One Hell of a Card! :thumbsupsmiley: