Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Leites = pussy

Not really my dear,He just couldn't figure out how he could defeat silva....

Shogun Rua is Back in Bizness!!!! woohoo! dapat mag retire na si Chuck!!!!!

Easy lang kayo dyan matanda na sya e...wag nyo naman masyado lapastangin si chuck... he doesn't have randy couture's athleticness or athletecism... yet chuck is an icon to be remembered...

Edited by King Nothing

Well I guess this is it for Chuck Lidell then. According to white, its definitely the end of the line for him. Not only did he need a win, but he also needed an impressive win. And he got knocked out. There will be many heavyweight champions after lidell but only a few of them will even match his legacy. He has got nothing to be ashamed of, unlike tito ortiz, this guy never ducked anybody. I dont think evans will even match this guys popularity.

Oh well goes to show that you cant stay at the top forever

Not really my dear,He just couldn't figure out how he could defeat silva....

well yeah, i know he was just being technical and all. but still, he could've at least put in some effort to make the match more enjoyable to watch. yun tuloy, na-boo sila ng buong stadium.

Well I guess this is it for Chuck Lidell then. According to white, its definitely the end of the line for him. Not only did he need a win, but he also needed an impressive win. And he got knocked out. There will be many heavyweight champions after lidell but only a few of them will even match his legacy. He has got nothing to be ashamed of, unlike tito ortiz, this guy never ducked anybody. I dont think evans will even match this guys popularity.

Oh well goes to show that you cant stay at the top forever

Yeah, Chuck was a warrior. I think there was even one time back in the UFC 30++'s or so where a championship fight for him got cancelled because his opponent got injured or something, and he went and fought a non-contender as an "exhibition" just because.

However his fighting style relies heavily on quickness and toughness, things that are the first to go with age. Sorta like how serve and volley players (reliant on quickness and reflexes) tend to go downhill after 26 years while baseliners can go on playing near the top of the rankings well into the early to mid 30's. If Chuck had expanded his game to wrestling and submissions ... who knows. But I'm sure he did as much for the popularity of the sport as anyone else, TUF included.

Well I guess its official, chuck is now retired according to Dana White, oh well there is a life naman beyond being on the canvass, look at shamrock. And surely this guy deserves to be in the hall of fame. Ortiz on the other hand was a pussy.

As for silva... WTF??!! Come on, is this the best pound for pound mixed martial artist in the world? With his performance last sunday I dont think he even desrves to be at the top spot. Oh well who can blame him, he is being paired with mediocre competition. Still I want that St. Pierre VS Silva matchup to happen, even at a catch weight

its sad to see chuck goes that way, the same feeling when randy announces that he will hang his gloves and short after chuck beat him for the second time. but i have a feeling chuck will make a comback ala randy couture and come out of retirement after several months.

Well my friend that is how a fighter rises and falls, sa lahat naman nangyayari yan. Look at holyfield, he should have retired a decade ago but still he has to fight out of his massive financial problems. You either quit while you are ahead, or you watch as your physique slowly erodes with your age. Sure you would still have skills, but what can you do when your body was not as fast, or as tough as it used to be?

Nobody stays at the top forever, lets not feel sorry for chuck lidell, he was a warrior, and he was rarely in a dull fight every time he stepped on the canvass. He was a predator. Many champions will follow after him, but I really doubt if most of them can even measure up to his legacy when he was at the top of the sport. Id be more sorry for him if he continued fighting past his prime, and continue to see a great fighter like him be defeated in the most humiliating fashion.

As for him making a comeback? Well I do not know, if ever he did, I do not think it would be the same chuck that we all loved. He would have to reinvent his game, I do not know, maybe chuck the wrestler and not the striker? But for now retire na lang muna sya.

Time for Chuck to hang up the 4 oz. gloves! Hate to see him go down the drain like Ken Shamrock! He's got nothing to prove anymore as he is already a legend in MMA!

Poor showing of A.Silva again! Counterstriker lang talaga! Thats why I never considered him as top P4P fighter! Fedor parin! :thumbsupsmiley:

Well my friend that is how a fighter rises and falls, sa lahat naman nangyayari yan. Look at holyfield, he should have retired a decade ago but still he has to fight out of his massive financial problems. You either quit while you are ahead, or you watch as your physique slowly erodes with your age. Sure you would still have skills, but what can you do when your body was not as fast, or as tough as it used to be?

Nobody stays at the top forever, lets not feel sorry for chuck lidell, he was a warrior, and he was rarely in a dull fight every time he stepped on the canvass. He was a predator. Many champions will follow after him, but I really doubt if most of them can even measure up to his legacy when he was at the top of the sport. Id be more sorry for him if he continued fighting past his prime, and continue to see a great fighter like him be defeated in the most humiliating fashion.

As for him making a comeback? Well I do not know, if ever he did, I do not think it would be the same chuck that we all loved. He would have to reinvent his game, I do not know, maybe chuck the wrestler and not the striker? But for now retire na lang muna sya.

Have you guys noticed that Chuck got knocked out by Rampage, Rashad and lastly, by Rua simply because he can't keep his hands up to protect his face?

Have you guys noticed that Chuck got knocked out by Rampage, Rashad and lastly, by Rua simply because he can't keep his hands up to protect his face?

Well that was his style, even boxers keep a low guard minsan para mas bwelo yung suntok at mas me impact. At his prime, chuck relied on his solid jaw (as you can see he has a big one), take down defense, power and accuracy of his punches. Of course all of this things will erode as you age, and as you take brutal hits to jaw fight after fight

got this from other site, sad but its kinda true.

"Who is next to say goodbye?"

This past Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal marked an emotional evening for not just the Iceman, but for the Mixed Martial Arts community as a whole. Chuck Liddell has been a front-runner in one of the most stacked divisions in the sport for as long as most of us can remember, but in the last two years of his prolific, exciting, and accomplished career, his aura has melted, exposing his age and the fact that the level of competition has simply passed him by.

The changing of the guard happens in every sport, but not as frequently and quickly as in MMA. In the span of sixteen years we’ve seen multiple generations emerge and fall victim to the next, and at this juncture in 2009 it is happening again. The major difference between this passing of the torch from Chuck Liddell’s generation to Mauricio Rua’s at UFC 97, is the fact that the Iceman’s generation was the first to really cast the UFC into the mainstream spotlight, making him one of the sport’s first truly iconic superstars.

As unpleasant as it is to think about, Chuck Liddell is just the beginning of the heartbreak mixed martial arts fans are going to experience in the coming two years, as many of the sport’s most notable fighters that emerged in the late 1990s are facing permanent excision from the octagon. So, who are these beloved fighters that are teetering on the brink of retirement?

Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva

Whenever the “Axe-Murder” is discussed on the Fightlockdown forum, you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone saying anything negative about him. Every time Silva steps into the octagon, you can expect him to come forward aggressively with the hope of not just beating his opponent, but absolutely massacring them. His style, while extremely pleasing to the fans—who he dedicates every one of his performances to—is not in the best interest of his personal well-being, and that’s evident in the fact that in 3 of his last 5 outings, he has been brutally knocked out.

So how many more times does Wanderlei have to see stars before Dana White intervenes and calls his career? Chuck Liddell has had more success in his last few fights than Silva, and Dana still managed to convince him that his days in the cage are over. As much as it pains me to say this, if Wanderlei Silva cannot beat Rich Franklin and his next opponent, it may be the last time we see him fighting in the UFC …that is, if Dana truly cares about his fighters’ well-beings.

Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira

Another fighter among the pantheon of MMA legends facing potential retirement is Minotauro. At 32 years of age, Nogueira in his last fight looked like a geriatric wandering the octagon without his walker. Words cannot express how painful it was for me to watch him get pummeled by Frank Mir, leading to the first stoppage loss of his career. While Nogueira has managed to squeeze out victories from the jaws of defeat in a number of his recent fights—particularly against Herring and Sylvia—it has become clear that his wars under the PRIDE FC banner have caught up with him.

Although he sustained a nasty staph infection a few weeks prior to fighting Mir, it’s hard to deny that Minotauro hasn’t looked quite the same in his UFC outings, as his head movement has slowed, his footwork has become labored, and his reaction times just simply aren’t what they used to be. While the loss to Mir was his first in two years, Nogueira has a lot to prove in his return against Randy Couture, and if he looks anything like he did in his last outing, it could be one of the last times we see him inside the octagon.

Matt Hughes

Regardless of the fact he may be one of the most despised fighters in the sport because of his grating personality, Matt Hughes remains the most dominant welter-weight champion of all time. Even though he hasn’t sustained as much accumulative physical damage as Silva and Nogueira in his last few outings, Hughes has been exposed instead for the one-dimensional skill-set he possesses. Unfortunately for Matt, his style simply has not evolved and developed alongside his peers at welterweight. This is the era of hybridized fighters, where competitors are not just wrestlers or BJJ practitioners, or strikers, they are all of the above, and Hughes hasn’t shown the development required in order to remain relevant.

Thiago Alves and Georges St. Pierre are fighters of the new wave and they dismantled Matt with ease, not just because of the fact they’re great athletes, but because Matt has refused to grow along with them. Even though I am certain Hughes should beat Matt Serra—who really should be at Lightweight—unless he can develop new skills to reinvigorate his career, he’ll be waving the fans goodbye in the not too distant future.

Randy "The Natural" Couture

“This is the last time you'll see me in these gloves and these shorts in this Octagon, because I'm retiring. That's it for me. It's time to do something else.” When Captain America bid us farewell following his rubber match against Chuck Liddell at the Mandalay Bay Event Center in 2006, fans mourned the end of an era and the departure of a hero. One year later, fans rejoiced when they were treated to the single greatest return in MMA history, as Randy dismantled and dominated Tim Sylvia for his third UFC Heavyweight championship.

Certainly Randy has shown the ability to reinvent and improve himself to stay relevant in the sport, but it’s not his skill-set that is limiting his time in MMA, it’s the fact that he’s turning 46 this year. Randy has proven that age is simply a number, but even as physically gifted as he may be, he’s nearly two times as old as some of the fresh talent in the UFC’s HW division. How much longer can Randy keep participating at this level? It’s a battle with the clock for him, and as awesome as it is to see him compete at his age, it’s hard to deny the likelihood of his forthcoming second retirement.

All four of these fighters fit within MMA’s pantheon composed of legends like Chuck Liddell, and they’re all entering the twilight of their careers, marking both the end and beginning of eras in our beloved sport. As much as these warriors would love to continue fighting, at some point they will have to stop or be stopped, in order to avoid "Shamrocking" their legacies.

As hard as that may be for most of us to accept, it’s the nature of the game, and we need to remember that as old stars fade, new ones are born. Let’s fondly remember the past, but let us also embrace the potential legends of the future, as they will certainly carry our sport to another level of greatness showcasing the influence of their predecessors.

Is Chuck Liddell’s departure a sign of things to come? If so, who is the next to say farewell?

Time for Chuck to hang up the 4 oz. gloves! Hate to see him go down the drain like Ken Shamrock! He's got nothing to prove anymore as he is already a legend in MMA!

Poor showing of A.Silva again! Counterstriker lang talaga! Thats why I never considered him as top P4P fighter! Fedor parin! :thumbsupsmiley:

pre tuloy ka ba sa ukc7? baka magbackout ako due to schedule conflict. good to go na sana ako sa april 25 kaya lang na move pa ng may 9, sayang.