Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

I guess after Affliction Banned!? Dana realized that the fight should happen in the UFC and not in other promotions. This would spare Randy and Zuffa(UFC) all the legal troubles. As copromoting with M-1 for the Fedor fight?! Hmm... Anything is possible as long everybody gets their fair share! Randy vs. Fedor make it happen!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Well everything is possible as long as everybody is happy. All the promoters really want is to make profit and surely both M-1 and the UFC would benefit from such a superfight. Apart from this fact keep in mind that both Randy and Fedor are fighters and yeah the money is nice and all but at the end of the day what matters most is that lingering desire to prove yourself the superior fighter.

Matagal na nilang gustong "magkaalaman na" so for our sakes (and the promoters and both Randy and Fedor) sana matuloy na itong laban na ito. Randy is a phenomenal athlete but let's face it everyone's gotta grow old, everyone's gotta go past their prime at some point in time and all the fight fans want to have a match wherein we have the best Fedor face the best Randy at the soonest possible time.

Or... the chance just might pass us by and we might have to settle for a movie to decide this one hehe (ala Rocky Balboa).

i'd like to see how he takes a punch from Liddel, damn Chuck should shut that boys mouth.

BTW i hope Ken wins against Kimbo, he should win to make up for the fights he lost and same time to silence all those Kimbo bandwagoners.

Yup I certainly hope so too. Kimbo is nothing but hype if you ask me and Ben Rothwell would wipe the floor with him in my opinion.

It's Official - Randy Couture returns to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 for the Heavyweight Championship Title

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3607/ufc912uv0.jpg

After a very public split with the organization back in October, reigning UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture has agreed to return to the UFC, and he'll meet Brock Lesnar in a UFC 91 championship bout with Brock Lesnar.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the news in a media conference call.

White also confirmed that UFC 91 will take place Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas -- not at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore., as first expected.

As part of Couture's return to competition, which includes a new multi-fight deal with the UFC, White confirmed that their ongoing legal battle has been resolved. Couture resigned from the organization in October citing a lack of respect from UFC executives, issues over his pay, and the UFC's inability to sign then-free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

"I think some compromises were made on both sides," Couture said.

"All I give a [expletive] about is that he's back and fighting," White said.

White also confirmed that the winner of an upcoming fight between interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Frank Mir will meet the Couture vs. Lesnar winner sometime in 2009 to unify the titles.

White didn't role out a potential Couture vs. Emelianenko fight -- one that Couture desparately wants -- but said the famed Russian fighter's contract situation could present problems. However, White admitted that he's "always wanted" Emelianenko in the UFC.

4:12: Dana White apologizes for the delay. White has scheduled Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar for the UFC title on Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.

4:13: Dana White says no matter whether Randy wins or loses, he’s still be in the UFC. White says Fedor can happen but the UFC won’t mess with another promotion (Affliction)’s contract with him. If his contract becomes available, the UFC will look to make it happen.

4:14: White says the Nov. 15 date is for the MGM Grand Arena, and the Portland location was never official. Says the UFC will definitely be there, but not for this event.

4:15: White says he still like Randy. “This whole thing never made sense to me.” White says Randy is sitting right next him right now.

3:16: Nogueira and Mir will fight for the interim and then it’s champion versus champion. Refers to the heavyweight title situation as a “tournament.”

4:17: Couture speaks. He says he’s never been on the mat together with Lesnar.

4:19: Lesnar says his whole goal with the UFC was to get the shot at the title.

4:20: Couture says there were compromises made on both sides of his contract. Couture says both companies are happy. White says, “All I give a s--t about is that he’s back and he’s fighting.”

4:22: Couture acknowledges that he has time constraints. “I’m 45, I can’t sit around in court rooms, I want to fight.”

4:22: White says Lesnar is not necessarily the number contender (he is), but he had a great showing against Heath Herring. Says the UFC is not caught up in political bulls—t, and wants to give fans what they want. Says Couture-Lesnar will be the biggest fight in UFC history.

4:24: Couture is not concerned about ring rust. He’s done this before and has been helping others train. White points out that Couture took a year off during his retirement and came back last year to beat Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga.

4:26: Couture says nothing is missing from his legacy if he never fights Fedor. He wants the fight. Says Fedor needs to come fight him.

4:27: White says, “I don’t know” when asked if he’s confident the UFC can bring in Fedor. Says he’s unsure if Fedor values his legacy. White says Fedor’s current contract is another obstacle. “We will never interfere with someone else’s contract.”

4:31: White says his beef with Fedor is that he’s not fighting the best in the world (Couture).

4:32: White says Affliction will go out of business soon and the UFC will then pick up Fedor’s contract. White will be horrified if Affliction is still alive in January. White will wait and see what happens.

4:33: Couture says this is a step in the right direction but won’t say this is what he wanted. Couture would have liked to fight Fedor in November.

4:38: White says the UFC has been often criticized for a poor heavyweight division, but says “the heavyweight division is looking pretty damn good right now.”

4:39: Couture says there are some parallels to Brett Farve coming out of retirement, though Couture laughs and says he would have liked to see Farve play for the Packers instead of the Jets.

4:42: Couture feels like he’s been “walking under a black cloud for the past year.” White says he likes Randy and says it’s been rough for him too. White jokes saying he likes to fight with Tito Ortiz.

4:45: Couture says his return was brought on because he was able to clear things with the UFC and second, he was tired of the legal system. Couture says he was tired of throwing money at lawyers. He’s a fighter and he wants to fight in the cage, not a courtroom.

4:47: White says the deal is done. White describing himself as a “giddy little girl right now” is putting the past year of his dispute with Couture behind him.

4:50: White says he was blown away by Lesnar's performance against Herring. "After seeing him with Heath, Brock is ready to take on anybody."

4:51: Lesnar says fighting Couture was something he couldn't turn down. "I'm very excited. Not a lot of people get this opportunity, and not a lot of people are me either."

4:52: Lesnar goes on a long rant about Fedor: "I don't give a s--t about Fedor. I'm sick about people talking about Fedor...You want that fight? Fine, but I don't give a damn."

4:53: White says they'll be a 2-3 part series on Spike TV to promote Couture vs. Lesnar.

4:55: Another reporter asks a Fedor question to White and Lesnar interrupts again to say he's speaking on behalf of everyone when he says he's tired of all the Fedor talk. White says: "Couture is relevant, Fedor is not... Beating Randy means something, it's up to Fedor."

4:58: White says he has no problem with his past fighters competing other organizations. Says whoever the UFC does not deem worthy of fighting in the UFC is welcome to go elsewhere.

White says Fabricio Werdum is in the title mix as well.

5:00: Lesnar says he needs to cut around 15 pounds to get below the weight limit of 265.

5:01: White says the UFC is expecting 1 to 1.5 million buys for Couture vs. Lesnar. Won't predict if it'll be Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao.

5:01: Couture says this is a new 3-fight deal. "We've resolved all the issues and we're moving forward."

5:03: White says if Fedor wants to come in, it won't be a one-fight deal. He needs to fight "a couple of fights."

White says, "We're done, we're no longer in a court battle with Randy Couture."

5:04: When asked if he has any regrets, Couture takes a long time to answer. Says he wouldn't say he regrets it but would have liked to have seen it gone better.

5:05: Lesnar says he likes to talk about things that are going to happen. Again, says he feels like he's wasting his time when people are talking about Fedor.

White again says Fedor is "completely f--kin' irrelevant."

5:11: Lesnar says he lays it all on the line win or lose. Talks about him only wanting to fight the best.

Couture says every single fighter is dangerous and Brock is no different. Couture doesn't have a lot of footage to look at but says Lesnar is coming from the same place he is.

5:13: White says they'll take one more question as Lesnar has to catch a flight and Couture has to be back at the gym.

Couture says now the best path is to make the Fedor happen in the UFC.

5:14: White says thanks again for waiting during the one-hour delay and will see you again in Atlanta for UFC 88.

Edited by Serial Killer

Captain America by whooping UD, using leg kicks & dirty boxing in the clinch. ^_^

i won't be surprised if Randy catches Brock square in the jaw in the opening seconds like what he did to Big Tim & Napao...

Ken Shamrock via heelhock transitioned to kneebar or vice versa in the first round! WAR SHAMROCK! hahaha Ben rothwell will murderize Slice. ^_^

he's gonna beat that hype machine so bad that EliteXC will fold their men's titles and just stick with the women's division with Cyborg Santas & Gina Carano. ^_^

oh by the way i hope Diaz gets a shot at Noons again and this time i hope Diaz wins via sub just to shut up KJ Noons...

Ummmm... Is it just me. Or does anybody else here think that the unification bout with Nog ought to come first before a 'supposed' title defense against Lesnar?

And Brock? A title shot? this early? Sheesh. Give me a break Dana.

As for his statements about the Affliction MMA PPV he better not think they'll die that easy he's goin up against good old new york bada** Donald Trump here so he better keep his guard up or Mr. Trump just might pull a fast one on him.

The Couture - Lesnar fight is all about money. Brock, with all the potential and draw that he brings to the table, has proved nothing to deserve a title fight at this point. Dana wants a big "comeback" for Couture, no doubt. He's thinking that Couture will just walk through Brock due to the glaring disparity in their level of experience - gaining massive momentum in the process. This could backfire as Captain America had shown in the past that he des not match up that well with competent grapplers/wrestlers who are bigger than him...

I agree that the issue with the Interim Heavyweight title needs to be resolved first but knowing how White thinks, he will not risk tainting his brightest talent. Let's face it, Nogueira is not well known with the majority of the UFC crowd. Couture will have major problems with Minotauro. I don't see him maintaining a dominant position on the ground and peppering Minotauro with strikes for a stoppage, so there goes his bread and butter. Submitting him would be improbable. And Couture sure as hell couldn't knock him out.

Comebacks always need sacrificial lambs for them to work and in this case, Lesnar's the man that Dana sees fit for the role. Personally, I don't like the route they are taking for Couture's return. Too much emphasis on drama in my opinion. But, drama sells, and that's all there is to it...

At last! UFC and Randy Coutures drama finally ended! Big Nog and Mir not screwed coz Dana said it will be like a 4 Man tournament for the UFC Heavyweight title! Nog vs Mir will face off with Couture vs Lesnar, there will be the unification of the Interim and the original Heavyweight title. Hopefully it would be Randy coming out of top so the fight woth Fedor would really mean something. Poor Affliction though, I think they're the ones who really got screwed here!!!? They were hoping the fight with Fedor vs. Couture happens in Affliction. But UFC co promoting with M-1?! Hmmm... lets see in the future!? Nog. vs Fedor 4!? Anyone here?! :thumbsupsmiley:

At last! UFC and Randy Coutures drama finally ended! Big Nog and Mir not screwed coz Dana said it will be like a 4 Man tournament for the UFC Heavyweight title! Nog vs Mir will face off with Couture vs Lesnar, there will be the unification of the Interim and the original Heavyweight title. Hopefully it would be Randy coming out of top so the fight woth Fedor would really mean something. Poor Affliction though, I think they're the ones who really got screwed here!!!? They were hoping the fight with Fedor vs. Couture happens in Affliction. But UFC co promoting with M-1?! Hmmm... lets see in the future!? Nog. vs Fedor 4!? Anyone here?! :thumbsupsmiley:

Another Nog Fedor fight? Hmmm.. Nah I really don't think there's any need to have a fourth Nog Fedor fight. Nog himself before his third fight with Heath Herring actually said something to this effect, "As far as I'm concerned there is no rivalry between him and me cause I beat him twice already". The same principle should apply to him if that's the way he's thinking. Furthermore,if he got controlled in the ring Fedor would more than likely be able to control him inside the cage should there be a fourth fight and they put em in a cage this time. He'll just end up trying to fight from his back again and inside a "walled" environment like the octagon, being pressed up against the cage further negates any effort to try and fight from your guard if you've got such a talented GNP guy like Fedor on you.

Bros:

Watched BJ Penn-Matt Hughes replay on UFC Wired last night. BJ Penn won. Just to clarify because I got things mixed up already. The fight records of BJ Penn, Matt Hughes and GSP against each other are as follows:

BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes 1-1

BJ Penn vs. GSP 0-1

GSP vs. Matt Hughes 2-1

Tama ba?

Is there a boxrec.com for UFC?

Edited by azayco
Another Nog Fedor fight? Hmmm.. Nah I really don't think there's any need to have a fourth Nog Fedor fight. Nog himself before his third fight with Heath Herring actually said something to this effect, "As far as I'm concerned there is no rivalry between him and me cause I beat him twice already". The same principle should apply to him if that's the way he's thinking. Furthermore,if he got controlled in the ring Fedor would more than likely be able to control him inside the cage should there be a fourth fight and they put em in a cage this time. He'll just end up trying to fight from his back again and inside a "walled" environment like the octagon, being pressed up against the cage further negates any effort to try and fight from your guard if you've got such a talented GNP guy like Fedor on you.

I know! But I'm sure Nog want to get his hands on Fedor again. And who do you think will win with the UFC 4 man Heavyweight tournament?! Nog ryt?! Dana's gona k*ll the Hype on a Fedor vs Randy fight by giving Randy his comeback fight vs. Lesnar and the winner will face Nog vs Mir. At the end of all this casual MMA fans will know who is the top two heavyweight in the world. Fedor and Nog! They will be in a rude awakening when Nog Chokes out Mir and Couture/Lesnar!!! So UFC co promoting with M-1?! Fedor in the Octagon?!Hard to say for now :thumbsdownsmiley:

I know! But I'm sure Nog want to get his hands on Fedor again. And who do you think will win with the UFC 4 man Heavyweight tournament?! Nog ryt?! Dana's gona k*ll the Hype on a Fedor vs Randy fight by giving Randy his comeback fight vs. Lesnar and the winner will face Nog vs Mir. At the end of all this casual MMA fans will know who is the top two heavyweight in the world. Fedor and Nog! They will be in a rude awakening when Nog Chokes out Mir and Couture/Lesnar!!! So UFC co promoting with M-1?! Fedor in the Octagon?!Hard to say for now :thumbsdownsmiley:

Well yes you do have a point bro. If it did ever come down to having Fedor face perhaps the best heavyweight in the UFC (well right after this 4-man heavyweight title tourney) Nog might actually be the one to face him when all of that is said and done.

Mir has nothing to give Nog that Nog hasn't seen yet

He's the perfect matchup for Nog, a guy who fights his game

True add to that the fact that Big Nog is probabbly one of the most 'durable' fighters to ever grace the ring or the octagon while Mir has had sh*tty conditioning ever since the motorcycle accident. If the fight he had with Brock had gone on to the second round or even just till the end of the first round he would have been killed. He was just lucky Brock was still 'green' when he fought him.

Edited by geneticfreak