The Car Buying Guide - Brand New Cars

First choice would be an Escalade or a Durango..pero hindi kasi economical what with the astronomical prizes of gasoline....

Ive been using a diesel SUV for several years now at hindi na rin advantage ang diesel since hinahabol na din niya ang gasolina in terms of price....and its maintenance is much much more expensive than the gasoline engines....di pa environment friendly....

ive also been thinking of getting the Prado or the Montero Sport or the Trooper pero i dont have a driver and i usually drive by myself at nights...hot items sa mga carnappers ang mga ito..

so i guess right now id settle for the Fortuner...

performance ok

mileage is not earth shaking

it has both the 4x2 and 4x4 versions

looks nice to boot...

Daily Driver (from AAlabang to office) - 2005 Range Rover 4.6HSE V8 no tint, Silver (bling of all SUVs)

Saturdays (to and fr golf course) - 2006 Porsche Cayenne S V8 Turbo, no tint, Black w/ tan interior (also a bling)

Sunday - 2006 Mini Cooper S, no tint, dark blue with Union Jack flag on the roof

Daily Driver (to and fr motel) - 2004 BMW 323i in-line 6cyl, all-around black-tint, Black w/ black leather interior

Hey All,

What is the most practical new car? in the 1.6L class, Civic, Altis, Sentra, Optra, Mazda 3, etc.

Pls state your reasons. Am looking for the best value for money. :cool:

Thanks!

:mtc:

Toyota Vios Most Fuel-Efficient Car in the Country

The Toyota Vios and the Innova are the most fuel-efficient vehicles in the passenger car (PC) and commercial vehicle (CV) segments respectively, based on the results of the recently-concluded 2006 Fuel Economy Run by the Department of Energy (DoE). Both Toyota models are also the country’s best selling vehicles to date.

Last May 13, the Department of Energy held their 5th fuel economy test from DoE Headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City to Lipa City and back, with the support of the Traffic Management Group, the Citizen Traffic Action, Filcar and Shell Philippines. Twenty-three passenger cars and commercial vehicles from 8 car manufacturers and distributors participated, despite the bad weather conditions brought about by Typhoon "Caloy". Aside from Toyota Motor Philippines, the country’s number one automotive company, Mitsubishi, Volvo, Honda, Kia, Isuzu, Hyundai and BMW likewise sent their representative models as well.

After more than 160-kilometer run, the Vios 1.3 J Gas Manual Transmission achieved 22.16 kilometers per liter consumption in the gasoline category , making it the most fuel efficient car in the country. The other 10 entry vehicles in the gasoline categories included the Kia Picanto 1.1-Liter Manual Transmission with 20.8 kilometers per liter mileage, and the Honda City 1.3-Liter Automatic Transmission with total consumption of 17.5 kilometers per liter.

Toyota’s best selling vehicle, the Innova, with 2.5-liter direct injection common rail diesel (D4D) engine, also posted high results with total consumption of 16.55 kilometers per liter. The Isuzu Crosswind 2.5-Liter averaged 16.15 liters.

"This goes to show that Toyota Vehicles have already been tried and tested not only for the famous Toyota Quality, Durability and Reliability (QDR), but in terms of fuel-efficiency as well. Our VVT-i and D4D engines that power the Vios, Innova, and all our products, have been developed primarily to help the customers get more out of life, to go further on a tank of fuel… After all, this is what the Toyota DNA is all about-helping people move forward amidst the ever-increasing oil prices," expressed Mr. Etsuro Fujino , Toyota’s Vice President for After Sales Department.

http://www.toyota.com.ph/media/phen/images/showroom/vios/vios_small.jpg

Click for VIOS Specs

if we used these guidelines we'd all be driving Toyota Corollas! :) hehe...not that that's such a bad thing.

i drive one! 96 XL :blush: not that fast... but it does the work! wag lang sa akyatan... for example... a trip to tagaytay... loaded with 7 persons (2 sa front seat 4 sa likod) and in the trunk... 1 cooler packed with food and stuffs... it will take a full minute before ko ma shift sa 5th gear.

Nung pababa naman.... its a different matter... because of the weight... the shocks are good enough to stabilize the downhill cruise.

I'd get the Hyundai Tucson Diesel ... Economy, Space, Style, Height, Width, Automatic (for tight parking) and good price

Getting a compact car has become a hard deal in this country.. why?

1.) those big, rude AUVs, buses, and jeepneys easily box you out..

2.) there's really no room for a family with two children + 1 yaya in a compact sedan..

3.) luggage space is limited. pag may sinundo ka lang na balikbayan from the airport, wala ng space for those boxes..

4.) patay ka sa baha at lubak.. FYI. The shocks of the japanese compact sedans are not fitted for philippine road conditions (i used to own a civic and corolla, so I know)

Okay ang compact car kung binata ka, or just a couple. But if you have children, a Hyundai Tucson Diesel is the most practical thing you can buy. Don't buy the gas cross-over versions (e.g. CRV, XTRAIL, Escape), the mileage is 6km/liter vs. 10km/liter on a Tucson. That's a savings of about P3,000/mo for a regular user.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I'd get the Hyundai Tucson Diesel ... Economy, Space, Style, Height, Width, Automatic (for tight parking) and good price

Getting a compact car has become a hard deal in this country.. why?

1.) those big, rude AUVs, buses, and jeepneys easily box you out..

2.) there's really no room for a family with two children + 1 yaya in a compact sedan..

3.) luggage space is limited. pag may sinundo ka lang na balikbayan from the airport, wala ng space for those boxes..

4.) patay ka sa baha at lubak.. FYI. The shocks of the japanese compact sedans are not fitted for philippine road conditions (i used to own a civic and corolla, so I know)

Okay ang compact car kung binata ka, or just a couple. But if you have children, a Hyundai Tucson Diesel is the most practical thing you can buy. Don't buy the gas cross-over versions (e.g. CRV, XTRAIL, Escape), the mileage is 6km/liter vs. 10km/liter on a Tucson. That's a savings of about P3,000/mo for a regular user.

Cheers!

i've heard and read good reviews about the Tucson...

but this does not fall under the 1.6L category...

:blush:

Although Ford owns 40% of Mazda Japan and 40% of VOLVO and Ford Focus, MAzda 3 and Vovlo S40 havs the same plaform the engines are not the same. I got the old Mazda Familia 323 and there is no problem with it, its been 7 years na, ang problema is FORD force Alvarez family to stop manufacturing Mazda in the Philippines coz they wanna enter our market that's why na discontinue ang mazda.

Mazda 3 is underpowered although the features are nice and the design is good.

Ford Focus has better power compared mazda3 2.0 and german designed but i heard its a gas guzzler, the tranny usually stays in 3rd gear on city driving.

i think if one doesn't need a big car, you can go for honda jazz or city 1.5 or toyota vios 1.5, don't get the 1.3 it will be underpowere, cars underpowered uses more fuel.

I hope i contributed something with what i know

if you are betting that the petroleum companies will be moving towards the manufacturing and distribution of ethanol mixed fuel gasoline... the Ford Focus will be the car of your choice... it can run on 85% ethanol mixed gasoline. at today's prices... Shell's E10 is PhP.50 cheaper than regular unleaded. i use this fuel on my 96' Corolla, no loss of power... clean burn.

question lang... how can a 1.3 be underpowered in a small car? :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 1.6...peugeot 307... di sa pinas, but i'll choose it over all 1.6 na mentioned earlier.

it has its downsides but i'll take the good with the bad...

My criterias:

1. looks: this 2006 model hatchback will take on all comers... mazda 3 included.

2. fuel efficiency: i don't think the toyotas can match this car in fuel efficiency.

3. space: legroom and headroom for this car is far beyond your expectations and

unlike the hondas that cramped up the compartments to have a bigger

space inside, the compartment of this car is big specially for a hatch.

4. Features: Automatic movable and folding side mirrors, height adjustable seats,

tiptronic(if you want to race just put it in sports mode, or you can do

manual if you want kasi automatic un), 16 inch tires. ABS and EBD and

all disc brakes. Climate split auto A/C.

5. Interior: Nice interior trim.

6. Safety: 6 airbags and makabal ang kaha, di basta nayuyupi so feel safe ka.

Downside:

1. Masyadong high tech, daming sensors so pag may problem ka most likely

sa kasa ka pupunta.

2. Mabagal mag react ung A/C pag naka automatic.

3. Mabagal sa arangkada, but then matulin sa rektahan.

4. Reliability: Sabi marami daw problema but in 1 year wala pa naman

kong na encounter.

5. Service: Basically di maganda ang service ng peugeot, mabagal sila.

• 3 weeks later...