• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The Car Buying Guide - Brand New Cars

My two cents...

Honda Civics are dependable (sold my hondas when they were used by me for 6-7 years with mileage of 100-120k km and still didn't have any problems with proper maintenance), and have good resale value. Problem is, they are more expensive and the present model doesn't look good if you ask me.

Toyota Altis likewise is dependable (good old Toyota quality) and has a good resale value. Plus they are cheaper and are cheaper to maintain! But the current model looks dated when compared to the other cars in its class.

Don't care much for the Sentra.

Would've given the Optra a try. Looks good to me and it's price is value for money- it's even cheaper the ones previously mentioned and you get a lot of options as standard. Don't know about it's durability, and people complain of the high cost of maintenance of GM vehicles.

However if I were in the market for a compact four-door, I'd get a Mazda 3. Great looks, very competitive price with a lot of options as standard and has good reviews in other countries (can't rely on the ones here since this car is relatively new in our shores). The downside... a three-month wait.

Sorry kung napahaba.

my concern on the mazda3 is they try to be like Honda. parts/service sa kanila lang. Baka maging expensive ang maintenance like the Honda.

Feedback pa sa customer service ng Honda. Hindi sila firm sa commitment on when matatapos ang work. Bigay ng araw ( puwede ka wait the whole day). Compared to Toyota daw.

How about the Chevy Optra or Chevy? How's the after sales/parts support?

my concern on the mazda3 is they try to be like Honda.  parts/service sa kanila lang.  Baka maging expensive ang maintenance like the Honda.

Feedback pa sa customer service ng Honda.  Hindi sila firm sa commitment on when matatapos ang work.  Bigay ng araw ( puwede ka wait the whole day).  Compared to Toyota daw. 

How about the Chevy Optra or Chevy?  How's the after sales/parts support?

wala pa naman akong nagiging problem sa Optra ko, bought it last Dec 2003.Excellent ang kanyang quality, sobrang silent at superb ang suspension and engine.Sa aftersales service, ok na ok! ang problem lng is yung queuing, mrami na kse owners nito,kaya full ang sched.FREE kasi ang Periodic Maintenance Service up to 2 years kaya alang problem. Basta sa GM pasong tamo ako laging pa-service, ok dun.Gas consumtion is quite nominal at 8.5 km/l for this is an automatic on city driving.

Compared with my previous Toyota corolla 1999 GLi, nothing lives up to the standard im enjoying right now with CHEVROLET OPTRA LS.First 2 years ko pa lng sa corolla ko, dami ng nagiging problems, especially sa steering.Therefore,i'm speaking as a satisfied owner,the Optra is the choice right now. :thumbsupsmiley:

The Chevrolet Aveo too is a fine choice for a "swatch"inspired compact car. My cousin has one and also is a big head turner,too. Very practical and affordable at below P590,000. Mas maganda rin ang fuel consumption at 13.5 km/l for it competes on a market dominated by the Jazz.

I believe malaking turnaround ito sa previous mindset natin sa Gm cars. These new generation of Chevrolet cars are truly remarkable. :thumbsupsmiley:

I had a 1996 Civic 1.6VT which I sold in 2002 and I've been driving an altis 1.6G since 2001. I did several aftermarket upgrades on my civic, since I found the stock abit flimsy. I had good power, standing and top-end thanks to a free flow intake and exhaust system, stable ride due to eibach and 17 inch 50-series tyres.

i didnt do aftermarket upgrades on my altis since it came with 15 inch wheels already. power is abit poor even if i switch off econo drive and O/D. topend is hard to reach. so far 160 kph is the fastest i've driven it compared to 190kph on my civic.

i would say that the civic has sporty interiors compared to the altis, especially i am not a guy who likes wood grain finish on the dash board. what i also like about the civic is the flat floor panel on the back seats. in 2001, when i bought the altis, 2 front airbags were standard, 4 wheel discs brakes(which were not there even on the vti-s), aux driving lamps, abs system and cup holders on front and back seats (since my wife, daughter and i would always have a bottle of water or a cup of coffee in hand.)

the best 1.6 sedan you could buy would be the best that would give you the stretch in your budget. after all it's just a car that depreciates over time. it will get scratched, rained on, bumped, dings, etc. i may not go for u.s. brand cars.

good luck.

Edited by masi