Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore

It would be so fine to see your face at my door

Doesn't help to know you're so far away

Traveling around sure gets me down and lonely

Nothing else to do but close my mind

I sure hope the road don't come to own me

There's so many dreams I've yet to find

• Like (+1) 1

A night ago I was asked if I believed in fate and how is it different from destiny. I said that is actually not an easy question to answer. I said think of life as a walk from one end of a building to the opposite end. You enter that building from a predetermined floor and as you walk towards the other end, you actually encounter stairs that either lead you up the floor above you or down at the floor below you. Each floor is a different level of happiness and suffering. More happiness and less suffering awaits you at the next higher floor. It is just the exact opposite as you go down. Ideally, you would want to end up at the highest floor possible before you reach the other end. But it's not so how much about the amount of happiness or suffering you encounter at each floor but the kind of happiness and suffering that awaits you there. Destiny is merely the fact that you will definitely end-up at the other end of the building. Fate, on the otherhand, is the floor you will end up in when you reach that end.

Tonight I was asked to determine the fate of someone who stole a hefty sum that we have actually recovered already. I just realized that in deciding her fate, I, too, am being asked to decide my own. So which floor? That, as I said, is actually not an easy question to answer. :)