Musta? How Are You Today? Happy? Sad? etc.

I opened my eyes and saw them, dozens of them, racing past me. They moved at different speeds towards different directions but they were all moving like they knew what they were doing. Some of them started alone and the fell into step with the others. One had a briefcase in one hand a tennis shoe on the other. He met the gaze of a girl whose arm was in a cast and whose hair was longer on one side than the other. She took the shoe and he put the briefcase on her head and they hooked a right a few yards past me. Then came a little boy of about nine, spinning a flapjack on the palm of his hand. What's going on? I ask him and he looks at me and throws the flapjack on the ground. He springs aboard a passing lady's back and rides with her somewhere in the direction of the setting sun. She looks back at me and I notice that one of her eyes was blue. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and it is a girl about my age and she asks if I have change for a fegburth. A what? A fegburth and she looks at me like I was retarded. She holds out her palm to me and opens it, on her palm was a small object the size of a thimble. It was metal and was shaped like a bean. It vibrated and pulsed a slight pinkish color as she breathed. DO you have change for THIS? She prompted, sounding just the slightest bit impatient. No, I said truthfully, for what item do I possibly have that could be a fair exchange? She moved on, tossing her fegburth casually over her shoulder, where it fell to the ground, tuned a vivid purple and melted into the concrete. A few blinks later it was gone.

I though of joining this exodus to nowhere, but it felt too much like a betrayal of the spot of loneliness I have known so well