How would you know if you really, genuinely love someone?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. When you don't need any kind of excuse for you to go to that person.

2. When your mind is not inhabited of any other thoughts when you're around that person.

3. When you can't take that person off your mind completely, especially when that person is dealing with serious problems.

4. When you give no s@%t about that person's past.

Pre, kapag hindi ka natanga sa pag-ibig, hindi ka nagmamahal. ;)

yung mukha ka nang tanga sa harap ng marami at wala ka nang pride pero sige pa rin kasi ang importante lang sayo e yung sa inyong dalawa.

Mahal mo e. kahit sa kangkungan ka pulutin, hindi mo matitiis

Agree!

You love someone if you put their needs, their desires and their happiness ahead of your own. --- nasabi ko na pala to. Allow me to add.

Even if people hates you, detests you and thinks you are making an utter fool of yourself. You still persevere because you are doing something that is illogical or does not make sense for others but makes perfect sense to you and allows you to sleep soundly at night, knowing that all your deed and misdeeds were for the sake of making her happy and not getting in the way of that happiness.

That for me is TRUE LOVE!

Edited by Solaryan

when i was younger, i thought sacrificing something of value for someone and putting that person's interests above your own is real love. but then i realized later, that is not enough. real, genuine love requires two things: first, sacrificing what you have, those that you hold so dearly, even your own life, freely to someone and not expecting something in return, and second, always electing to give the person his/her the freedom to choose and decide, even if that will mean hurting himself/herself in the process though fully knowing the consequences, while you hope that he/she will learn his/her lessons - this is essential for his/her own growth, while you assume the role of a supporter, a friend, a guide, a giver of joy, and one who will be ready to repair what has been broken.

I agree with this. But in my book, if you love someone and are willing to sacrifice everything for that person, it includes his second point too.

If you put the person you love ahead of your own that entails giving that person your trust, your fidelity and the freedom to be the best versions of themselves.. even if at times, what's best for them, hurts you like shards of glass stuck underneath your skin and cause you many sleepless nights. You endure. Because, you love her and it is something she needs.

• 4 weeks later...

children, listen up.

how to know when it's real?

here are some signs:

1. you stop rationalizing because for you it is irrationally rational. there's no reason for you to overthink and analyze things.

2. you stop explaining and defending your choices to other people because you don't give a f#&king rat's ass about the opinion of others AS LONG AS you don't hurt them in the process.

3. you stop trying to gain the approval of others. you don't need others to tell you what you're feeling is real because you both kbow that what you have will and can stand the tests to be thrown at you by this cruel teacher you call life.

4. you start seeing a future wherein you would both be old and wrinkly yet you still want to sit on the park bench with that person, holding hands, talking about the past, laughing, enjoying the sight of your playing grandkids.

5. you start letting go of the romanticized fantasies that you have in your head. when you learn how to distinguish love from infatuation. when you're ready to let go of your shallow definitions of love and start looking at somerhing far more complex and deeper.

6. when you know that loving someone entails loving yourself as well. The reason - you cannot pour water from an empty pitcher. meaning if you don't know how to love your worst enemy which is yourself through the good, the bad and the ugly, how can you do that for someone else?

Edited by Queen Darkeinjel
  • 4 weeks later...