Upcoming Movies - Want To Watch?

Editor's Note: Published on page A36 of the August 27, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

"I HEARD he's the Tom Cruise of the Philippines."

Benjamin Bratt told us that about Cesar Montano when we were introduced to him at the press con for "Catwoman."

"He's great," Bratt added about his Filipino co-star in Miramax's "The Great Raid," a film about the daring rescue of hundreds of American prisoners-of-war in a Cabanatuan Japanese camp during World War II.

Alas, as everyone knows by now, this movie produced by those modern-day studio moguls, brothers Bob and Harvey Weinstein, was shot not in our beloved Philippines but in Australia and China. The Philippines was reportedly nixed because of unrest at the time the producers were deciding where to shoot the film.

So Shanghai subbed for Manila and Queensland, the POW camp.

"I heard Cesar directs, too," Bratt said to us. Julia Roberts' famous ex, who is now married to Talisa Sotto, is one of the best-groomed actors we've interviewed in years. Wish we could say the same thing about all the actors that we encounter.

Bratt announced to us that "The Great Raid," which also stars James Franco of "Spider-Man," and Joseph Fiennes, will open on Feb. 18, 2005 in the US.

Asked to explain the delay in the film's release, Bratt could only offer a guess: "Upon the film's completion, the world political climate is not necessarily ready for an American film depicting American military heroism, which is what the film is about. It's based on a real life World War II event where an elite group of Army Special Forces goes in and rescues 500 American prisoners-of-war.

"That could be part of the reason," Bratt added. "I'm sure there are numerous other reasons. I've seen it and I think you'll enjoy it."

Billy Crawford's ‘Exorcist’ movie straight to video

Updated 05:56pm (Mla time) Aug 26, 2004

By Ruben V. Nepales

Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A36 of the August 27, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

LOS ANGELES , California, United States of America -- “That’s Entertainment” alumnus Billy Crawford's acting efforts in the prequel to "The Exorcist" won't be a complete waste, after all.

Director Paul Schrader's version, the one in which Kuya Germs' former “alaga” has a major role, will be released on DVD. Director Renny Harlin's version will be the one to be released in the theaters.

A DVD release is definitely better than no chance at all to see Billy's performance.

In case you have not been following this issue, Renny was asked to completely re-shoot the film. Billy and most of Schrader's cast were not asked to return for the re-shoots.

Writes Greg Dean Schmitz in his online "Greg's Previews" page on the decision to release Schrader's take on DVD: "This does a great deal to dismiss complaints about Schrader's dismissal, as we will get a chance to see his film and judge it on its own merits. If it's truly awful, as Warner Bros. seemed to be insinuating, we'll know, and if it isn't (awful), maybe on DVD, it will get a chance to flourish in a way it might not have theatrically. Time will tell."