The End of the American Century?

• 2 weeks later...

Except that they no longer have the same manufacturing base they once had, an economy with 70 pct of activity based on consumer spending, 70 pct of the work force in the service industry, 40 pct of war costs based on foreign loans and passed on to the sheeple, probably 25 pct of their assets now controlled by foreigners, a military that essentially, with the government, works for multinational corporations, rising debts across the board with no more funny money left for more quantitative easing, global oil production that has remained relatively flat, and a larger global population coupled with greater environmental damage.

Arab Spring, Libya, Syria, Iran, agitating the Palestinians.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

21st Century is the asian century. Did you know that China topped the PISA exam 2010. Among the top ten five of them were

asians. Since 2005, Kishore Mahbubani wrote an article about the rising economic success of asian countries and continuos decline

of the west. American influence will diminish in the coming years. Despite of its problems America will remain competetive because of its

extra ordinary landscape..

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the huge debt incurred due past bailouts and Quantitative Easing the federeal reserve have made I think the US is in serious trouble for the years ahead. Just like the Roman Empire, these kind of situation will seriously break them if there's no visionary leader that will step up. Niether Obama nor Romney has that leadership quality that is why I believe the world is looming with a far worst crisis in a few years ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

Exports have been dropping for China, and there are signs that it also faces various debt problems and asset bubbles.

The main cause is a combination of increasing debt coupled with conventional oil production flat-lining since 2005.

True, the export of china has been dropping. That is because the U.S. and Europe has the biggest consumer base. So most of China's exports goes to these countries (and it is what made them grow). Now that the consumer spending of these countries (US and Europe included) has decreased, china's export and economic growth will slow down.

The problem with China is that even if they are so rich as a country, the wealth is really not with the majority of the people. Majority of the people, especially the one's in the rural areas, are not capable to spend. Thus, they are not capable to buy enough of their own product to be self-sustainable.

Just look at Japan (the former Number 2 economy in the world), now they are outpaced by China (2nd) and India (3rd). Why did their economy drop when the Western countries felt the sting. It's because their countries own spending cannot drive their own economy. Once exports of their Cars and electronic products took a hit (due to slow down of spending in the U.S.), the economy took a hit.

What china did in 2010 sort of masked the slowdown of the economic growth. They did massive infrastructure spendings, including $4.2 billion spent on Shanghai for the 2010 World Expo, and the continued spending on infrastructures to major cities. Now that the infrastructure spending started to slow down (you can't keep on upgrading bridges or roads every year!), their economy is now feeling the slowdown of the Western economy.

What should China actually do? It should empower it's people such that their people can now spend. They have 1.3 Billion people, if all of those population has the spending power equal to that of the Western World then they would not have to rely on exports for their economy. The crucial part is, if you "spread the wealth" to the rural side of China, then naturally the labor cost of these rural population will increase. Increase in rural labor cost would make China not competitive in the manufacturing world. They would eventually loose out to Vietnam and other countries offering much cheaper labor cost. If they can withstand the transition from being an export country to a self sustained economy (thru domestic consumer spending), then they could come out on top of the U.S. when it comes to economy and being the world power.

However, I don't see this happening. Not within the near future or not within our generation or even our children's generation. So I think the end of the American Century won't happen as soon as everyone thinks.

Here's another thought. America as a country is more of an idealogy that "anything is possible/land of the free,etc.". A thinking (which I don't actually buy, but most do). That is why it is hard to displace them. An example, most of the rich Chinese Businessmen are actually buying into U.S. properties and U.S. Companies. Eventually, they will send their children to school there for the "best" education. Eventually these Chinese Families will become Americans (both in citizenship and in idealogy). Thus the endless cycle of the American country getting the best people.

yeah that twinkies newsflash upset me, because i don't know about eating China-made ho hos. wink.gif

seriously though, why is the benghazi hoo hah now about "unfairly" attacking susan rice?

as for vubuli, i don't know if anyone's told him that we did kick out the americans, and look how we run to mommy when china flexes its muscles. i hope that "let them in" mentality is not one shared by the majority of Filipinos. because if it is, we deserve to be colonized.

can't tell if you're sniffing glue or just blindly repeating an extremist mantra you picked up somewhere.

those are war materials. I did n0t say engage and get to war with china. Or given if i did say that cant i change my mind. Diplomacy works better. Look at the americans they are being kicked by the jihadist. Look at america advising us on the milf issue. We lost mindanao. Look at china in their mustim and tibetan area. They eliminated their own rebels. We could do better. If chinese forces are with us in mindanao. Instead of the americans

yes, look at China and the historic kindness with which she treats her dissidents. first you preach diplomacy with China (which, by the way, is exactly what we're doing at the moment), but then 5 short sentences later you admire how China "eliminates" rebels.

you would have China eliminate rebels in Mindanao and expect them to stop there? you expect Malaysia will sit by and let the inroads they've built there be threatened by China? and throughout this epic move, you think the Philippines will remain sovereign? all of Asia will be eyeing us like a fat and tasty morsel.

we create an ASIAN MILITARY AND ECONOMIC BLOCK. NO AMERICANS AND EUROPEANS. ASIANS ONLY. Its a real Wow. ASIA WOULD BE AS RICH AS CHINA.

"It's a real wow" is correct. why don't you explain in detail how such a scenario would 1) be created, and 2) how you see that being sustained. and then discuss, how well-positioned the Philippines would be in this new Asian shangri- la.

at least in the asian setting you only dream of what you can afford. Being imaginative with out a reality check. Is destructive. The asian time have arrived. 1 day americans and westerners. Will become our own ofw. N0w they are being kick out in their houses own by asians. Tommorrow they will serve new asian masters. Including us filipinos.

if people only dreamt of what they could afford, no one would innovate, create, or dream big. try again.

and for purposes of being on topic, bash American consumerism here if that's what floats your boat but reserve your "i love China" posts for the South China sea thread.

@VUBULI

Why are we even discussing having China in our backyards. IF we invite China in, our problems in Mindanao will be solved, because our country will be turned into a communist country. Who do you think China will side? The people who have the same ideology as them (and whom they have been suspected of supplying arms) or the government who has a capitalist idealogy.

If china is in our country, do you think we will get to control the oil? and the natural resources that is gathered from our country? Or the Chinese government will get the benefits of these?

Have you ever been to China? Their government is rich, and so are the people in power (government officials). Majority of the businesses are still state-owned, or partly state owned. Those that are fully privatized are owned either by the people in power and/or the people close to the ones in power. I would personally know, my uncle opened a factory in China and was forced to get a Chinese "partner". Eventually they were gobbled up by this "partner" who was in fact related to a government official. That same uncle of mine, also opened shop in Indonesia and also in the U.S. (the one in the U.S. was established decades ago). And it flourished. What is my point, my point China is so corrupt. That is one of the reasons why they are not truly a rich country. True they have the second largest economy in the word, second to the U.S. but if you divide their economy (GDP) by their population, they are not rich.

Now if you look at the actual money that is in the hands of the people, then they get worse. Go to the rural areas and you will see. I've been to China both in the major cities and in rural areas. You can see the difference.

Let China in, they will gobble us. Control our corporation, true our country (or should I say the people in power) will get rich, but the people won't.

Your business (I assume you own a business), will be converted to semi-private company. The government or a government official will eventually gobble up your business. You will not be happy, but at least you will have a house, can send your children to school and shop at SM for your effort of running your business (as per your post earlier.).

Edited by bill_262003

^i did not say surrender our independence! Per se! Our country has a 60/40. Rule. What im saying let them in. Instead of favoring western companies. We could harness. The oil thru cheap but sophisticated technology. China have been giving us cheap loans. When the chinese are with us. Look at the south china sea quite peaceful. Why do we have to allign ourselves with a spend force like america. Who has the best track record in insurgency counter operations. China or u.s. China ofcourse. And with their assistance we could defeat the milf. Mnlf. Its n0t about the ideology its about business.

off-topic ka nanaman. (the south china sea is quite peaceful? did you just wake up from a deep and brain-numbing slumber? or does china chipping away at our protected reefs not bother you at all?)

and whats wrong in adopting their harsh brutal rule. In exchange for walking free at the deadbeat of the night. With almost no tolerance for criminals. Thats way better. C0mpare with this american style system.

how is harsh brutal rule way better than the freedom to choose your own destiny? what american style system are you referring to? the economic crisis america is in right now is due, in a nutshell, to a departure from their traditional values of small government and self-reliance. so which system exactly are you comparing to china's hybrid economy?

i was also going to ask you what the frack you mean by "at the deadbeat of the night" but never mind.

btw dnt tel me about. 1st world mechanic style junkyard bullshit style ec0n0mics. How americans do about their life. There are only simple rules in life. Work hard. And buy only things that you can afford. Dreaming with out a reality check is a recipee for disaster.

what makes you think america won't correct itself before it's too late?

what makes you think the philippines can adopt a chinese system when our government doesn't have massive financial resources like china does?

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely, sir. Some of the silent majority you are referring to may or may not be leaning towards libertarian values. No big or small government and being able assist other countries with foreign aid but not at the expense of holding one's own.

The notion of social spending used to go towards investing but now it seems like a free handout.

I can go for a Hostess cupcake right now.

i'm with you sir. the teamsters union crossed the picket line along with some members of the bakery, confectionery, tobacco and grain millers union to save 18,500 jobs. most of the b,c,t and gm union refused to negotiate and hostess brands decided to sell their assets and layoff their workers. i'm still hoping that a group can take over this company and restructure it's operations. i'm not ready to say goodbye to the twinkies, ding dongs and ho-ho's.

i believe that the missing voters dislike the party in power and distrusts the other party. i'm hoping that they must act now and choose to fight with the ever decreasing self-reliant citizens or all 330 million of them will share a miserable fate.

1353698127[/url]' post='8437151']

i'm with you sir. the teamsters union crossed the picket line along with some members of the bakery, confectionery, tobacco and grain millers union to save 18,500 jobs. most of the b,c,t and gm union refused to negotiate and hostess brands decided to sell their assets and layoff their workers. i'm still hoping that a group can take over this company and restructure it's operations. i'm not ready to say goodbye to the twinkies, ding dongs and ho-ho's.

i believe that the missing voters dislike the party in power and distrusts the other party. i'm hoping that they must act now and choose to fight with the ever decreasing self-reliant citizens or all 330 million of them will share a miserable fate.

Come to think of it, these things have happened before in the USA, and the end result is recession. America would simply refuse to invest. Perhaps people ought to study the economic conditions in America shortly before the World Wars and realize a pattern. Discover that without America, there is going to be a power vacuum filled by undesirables who will not honor human rights and take everything back to barbaric warfare and more of the same propaganda.

China is in a deeper trouble since it has invested on infrastructure geared fot a robust world economy. Unlike the USA, the Chinese does not have fiscal or strict accounting culture. Like the local Chinese, there is no record keeping to keep track of finances. Relatives share a pool of wealth, equivalent to multiple stock market listings fooling the unwary. Preparations for war is essentially about preparing for trade to stop and the markets to cease normal operation. Why would anyone take a loan? That is like trusting the money of the Japanese Imperial Army. If there is anything that comes close to Japan in World War 2 and the problems it had like the need to feed a huge population and not knowing how to deal with idle industrial capacity except to use it for war effort. Let us remember that in the absence of World Trade, China was poor and deprived. Just think that after it had tasted progress brought by foreign investments, will they allow things to deteriorate back to the silly hole that a generation of Marxism trapped them into?

1353698127[/url]' post='8437151']

Come to think of it, these things have happened before in the USA, and the end result is recession. America would simply refuse to invest. Perhaps people ought to study the economic conditions in America shortly before the World Wars and realize a pattern. Discover that without America, there is going to be a power vacuum filled by undesirables who will not honor human rights and take everything back to barbaric warfare and more of the same propaganda.

China is in a deeper trouble since it has invested on infrastructure geared fot a robust world economy. Unlike the USA, the Chinese does not have fiscal or strict accounting culture. Like the local Chinese, there is no record keeping to keep track of finances. Relatives share a pool of wealth, equivalent to multiple stock market listings fooling the unwary. Preparations for war is essentially about preparing for trade to stop and the markets to cease normal operation. Why would anyone take a loan? That is like trusting the money of the Japanese Imperial Army. If there is anything that comes close to Japan in World War 2 and the problems it had like the need to feed a huge population and not knowing how to deal with idle industrial capacity except to use it for war effort. Let us remember that in the absence of World Trade, China was poor and deprived. Just think that after it had tasted progress brought by foreign investments, will they allow things to deteriorate back to the silly hole that a generation of Marxism trapped them into?

I can't debate with someone who hasn't brought forth any supporting information to the discussion. All we hear is, 'I love China. I hate America,' in broken English, mind you. The only supporting evidence that goes toward America's decline is your clear inability to speak full sentences.

The decline of America spells a great investment loss for China. China propped up the US economy to save it from the dot com bust and became its largest single investor. No Chinese citizen ought to be happy with the impending fiscal cliff of the US Federal Government and the fact that Obama's more than 5 trillion dollar expenditures in his first term are more than what China ever produced in its first decade after opening up to the World Market. As of last week, 50 states in the USA have already filed for secession. This is a strong message that the gross mismanagement of the federal government is not going to be tolerated nor absorbed by state governments.