The Flipside of Social Networking (Facebook, MySpace, Multiply, Friend

• 1 month later...

Facebook is the perfect platform for presenting a designed self. But the allure of deceit by design is all too powerful. You can carefully curate your life to look like a shimmering stream of Hallmark moments. To people browsing their newsfeeds, this can produce feelings of envy, depression, or (perhaps most ironically) isolation and loneliness

Your ego doesn’t need the fuel. Facebook provides a never-ending popularity contest of likes, comments and reposts. Just because narcissism is more pervasive than ever, that doesn’t mean it’s okay.

I'm a mom and i used to have facebook.

I actually didn't made a lot of friends in Highschool or College because i was working for our family business and i don't know if there's any reason why i should connect other people other than its business-related. I sound like a person with entitlement but there are just so many things to do other than stalking other people's pages. When Facebook introduced the Games, things got a little weirder.

8 years ago when this game about planting weed came in about, a lot of stay at home moms couldn't wait to go home from taking their toddlers to kindergarten because of their precious weed plantation they are attending to. It's ridiculous and mind blowing to the extent to even neglecting their household duties.

I think since facebook was introduced, Adults get a lot dumber as they age.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

depends on how you use em. for me i primarily used fb so i can get copies of pictures whenever the barkada/family goes out. now i use it mainly to read whatever is the trending news and talk with my friends/family (via fb msgr).

for other, fb becomes your own little world where you feel that you're the center of people's attention. you post selfies, cause you think everyone is waiting to see/hear whatever is going on with your life. its a place where people can pretend to be a celebrity.... well at least that what i think from my feed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

For me the biggest upside of the proliferation of social networking sites is that it made communication easier with long distance friends and families. On the otherhand, the biggest downside for me is it's potential to unconciously plant negative or false ideas to a person's brain because it's easy to unconciously pick up another person's opinions as one's own.

• 2 weeks later...