What Is Your Dream Gun?

Itto Ogami

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to have the .460 S&W Magnum as my handgun. Problem is it's too powerful to use in indoor ranges. It can only be used in outdoor ranges.

You could k*ll an elephant with this one.

http://en.wikipedia....60_S%26W_Magnum

Imagine, the 300 grain version of this bullet can travel 2,060 feet per second (fps). Compare this with the M16's .223 (5.56 mm hardball) which has an average muzzle velocity of 2,500 fps. but can reach over 3,000 fps depending on the type of rifle used.

Then consider the weight and diameter of the bullet. The .223 weighs in on the average about 55 grains compared to the 300 grain of the .460 S&W bullet. The .460 S&W bullet weighs almost 6 times that of the .223 and the velocity is not too far away. Take note that the .223 is .223 of an inch in diameter while the .460 is almost half an inch in diameter. That's a big difference in size.

In terms of energy, the .460 releases 2,826 foot pounds of energy compared to the .223's/5.56mm 1,325 foot pounds. Keep in mind that the .460 cartridge is used in a revolver while the .223/5.56 mm is used in M-16s, AR-15's, Remington rifles, etc. And yet the .460 has over twice the energy of a .223!! Of course the .223s lighter weight, plus the fact that it's fire from a rifle means it can fly much farther than the .460 bullet.

Check out the typical muzzle energies of common firearms and cartridges here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_energy

Just for a quick comparison, the .460 packs almost 5.5 times the energy of a .45 cal pistol using a 200 grain Gold Dot jacketed hollow point + P at almost twice the muzzle velocity of the .45. Then also consider the weight of a typical .45 ACP at around 200 grains vs the 300 grains of the .460

To conclude, this .460 S&W Revolver is one hell of a gun.

Am dreaming of getting one of those gas-piston 5.56 mm full-auto rifles which are supposed to stay clean longer. I used to have a gas impingement M-16 with a brand-new, 14.5 inch DPMS barrel. Wish I had not sold it.

By the way, in deciding what guns to get, apart from collecting them which every student of firearms aspires to, I consider what I intend each one for, and under what circumstances it might be used. I prefer to have just enough gun, not too much or too little, for an intended purpose. My concealed carry pistol is currently a Springfield XD in .40 cal. If I carry two extra mags, that gives me at least 30 rounds of jhp, which should be enough for most urban threat scenarios I would be most likely to encounter. Personally, I like the .40 for defensive purposes, as it has more stopping power that the 9 mm and I find it more manageable to use than the .45 cal. Although someone at Stronghand told me the XD in .45 is nice too. My .40 has a four-inch barrel. The pistol's dimensions and weight are perfect for my physical characteristics. Then again, if I were to be expecting trouble up close, I would bring a .38 cal snub nose in an IWB holster. Much smaller and easier to carry.

The most powerful handgun I have now is a .357 magnum revolver with a six-inch heavy barrel. I have shot several thousand rounds through it, and it is interesting to shoot, especially indoors. At night if you shoot it in the dark, you get a muzzle flash a few feet long. It is heavy and bulky. To my mind, it's more suitable for outdoor carry and use. Still, I love it. The data from Marshall and Sanow in the U.S. have indicated for years and years that .357 125-grain jhp rounds have the highest percentage of one-shot stops in police shooting incidents. But there has always been controversy over this data. For me, personally, there would be no value in getting a handgun more powerful than .357 at this time. Although I do have fantasies about hunting big game overseas with a large-caliber handgun, see if I have what it takes to go face to face with a dangerous animal at close range. Maybe a 10-foot bear in Alaska, if it's allowed. They carry handguns like that in bear country.

Under certain circumstances, if I were expecting trouble around my residence, I would take out my tactical, nine-round 12 gauge pump-action shotgun with ghost ring sights and a heat shield, loaded with OO buckshot. Apart from its performance at distances beyond handgun accuracy range, its all-black appearance and the sound it makes when you rack a round into the chamber can discourage whoever it is you're dealing with.

Enjoy your firearms, but most of all, be safe and responsible. Peace.

Edited by viral

Am dreaming of getting one of those gas-piston 5.56 mm full-auto rifles which are supposed to stay clean longer. I used to have a gas impingement M-16 with a brand-new, 14.5 inch DPMS barrel. Wish I had not sold it.

By the way, in deciding what guns to get, apart from collecting them which every student of firearms aspires to, I consider what I intend each one for, and under what circumstances it might be used. I prefer to have just enough gun, not too much or too little, for an intended purpose. My concealed carry pistol is currently a Springfield XD in .40 cal. If I carry two extra mags, that gives me at least 30 rounds of jhp, which should be enough for most urban threat scenarios I would be most likely to encounter. Personally, I like the .40 for defensive purposes, as it has more stopping power that the 9 mm and I find it more manageable to use than the .45 cal. Although someone at Stronghand told me the XD in .45 is nice too. My .40 has a four-inch barrel. The pistol's dimensions and weight are perfect for my physical characteristics. Then again, if I were to be expecting trouble up close, I would bring a .38 cal snub nose in an IWB holster. Much smaller and easier to carry.

The most powerful handgun I have now is a .357 magnum revolver with a six-inch heavy barrel. I have shot several thousand rounds through it, and it is interesting to shoot, especially indoors. At night if you shoot it in the dark, you get a muzzle flash a few feet long. It is heavy and bulky. To my mind, it's more suitable for outdoor carry and use. Still, I love it. The data from Marshall and Sanow in the U.S. have indicated for years and years that .357 125-grain jhp rounds have the highest percentage of one-shot stops in police shooting incidents. But there has always been controversy over this data. For me, personally, there would be no value in getting a handgun more powerful than .357 at this time. Although I do have fantasies about hunting big game overseas with a large-caliber handgun, see if I have what it takes to go face to face with a dangerous animal at close range. Maybe a 10-foot bear in Alaska, if it's allowed. They carry handguns like that in bear country.

Under certain circumstances, if I were expecting trouble around my residence, I would take out my tactical, nine-round 12 gauge pump-action shotgun with ghost ring sights and a heat shield, loaded with OO buckshot. Apart from its performance at distances beyond handgun accuracy range, its all-black appearance and the sound it makes when you rack a round into the chamber can discourage whoever it is you're dealing with.

Looks like your have yourself quite an armory there. BTW I noticed my firearms licenses are all expired. I thought they were valid for 3 years. 2 years lang pala. Could you recommend a gun dealer who can expedite the renewal of my licenses? I know a couple at Makati Cinema Square. Sobrang mahal lang ng processing fee. Last time I had the licenses renewed, they charged me P16,000 to renew the licenses of 1 S&W 9mm auto, 1 .22 Walther P22 auto, 1 .38 Squires Bingham revolver, and 1 .22 Marlin rifle model 795 with a 10 shot clip.

Your .40 Springfield has a 10+1 capacity? What brand of ammo do you use? I find CCI quite dependable. I use that brand for both my .22s and the 9mm. Local brands like Armscorp I find unreliable. Many times at the shooting range, my .22s jammed when I used Armscorp. I never have that problem with my CCI ammo.

since the topic is dream gun ive been dreaming of holding and firing .500 S&W, impossible magkaron nito sa pinas haharangin to ng customs tapos ang bribe eh nasa milyon.

I have a cousin who fired a .50 in the US about a year ago. Unbelievable kick daw sabi niya. So the next time I visit him, I'll make sure he brings me over to the range to try out the .50.