Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

sana outside the country na lang sila naglaro kesa sa PBA,mas magiging competitive pa sila..

yes, they can opt to play outside the country pero mas pinili ni coach na dito na muna lumaro para daw mapanood naman ng mga kababayan natin na nandito sa pinas kung pano maglaro ang team, hindi ung mga nasa ibang bansa lang..

tsaka next conference di na daw sasali ang smart gilas sa pba..

http://teampilipinas.info/2011/03/smart-gilas-pilipinas-shoots-for-5th.html

sana outside the country na lang sila naglaro kesa sa PBA,mas magiging competitive pa sila..

i think tama lang na sinalihan nila ang conference na ito.

mahirap naman mag-cheer sa isang team na bihira mo mapanuod.

besides, mabilis lang naman ang 2nd conference.

ang mali lang para sa akin is yung height limit na inilagay nila sa imports, masyadong malaki ang discrepancy

dapat sana tinanggal na lang nila para sa PBA teams

Is Gilas really this good or binagbibigyan lang sila ng PBA teams?? :huh:

I don't think na pinagbibigyan lang sila ng mga PBA teams that is why they are now on top of the current PBA conference. At the same time while the Gilas team has improve over time I don't think the current PBA stint can be considered as a guage to determine how good this team really is.

One glaring advantage they have is Marcus who stands 6'10" and is averaging almost 20/20 in pts and rebounds 5 games into the tourney. He's also leading the league in blocks and FG%.

It would probably be a better guage if teams were allowed an import of at least 6'6" or 6'7". As such each team will have a player that can measure up to Marcus just as what we probably expect to happen when Gilas plays in international tournaments wherein the top teams also have players that are as tall and as strong as him.

I don't think na pinagbibigyan lang sila ng mga PBA teams that is why they are now on top of the current PBA conference. At the same time while the Gilas team has improve over time I don't think the current PBA stint can be considered as a guage to determine how good this team really is.

One glaring advantage they have is Marcus who stands 6'10" and is averaging almost 20/20 in pts and rebounds 5 games into the tourney. He's also leading the league in blocks and FG%.

It would probably be a better guage if teams were allowed an import of at least 6'6" or 6'7". As such each team will have a player that can measure up to Marcus just as what we probably expect to happen when Gilas plays in international tournaments wherein the top teams also have players that are as tall and as strong as him.

They just won last night to a Powerade team without Douthit. I think they lacked depth but their ball movement is good and they seem to have good chemistry.

basketball is a big man's game. As shown gilas' import is lording it over everybody... the true test maybe the jones cup whereby the middleeastern country will be participating. that will surely level the playing field. From that point we can truly gauge if our gambit will succed in the olympic qualifying rounds

Agree, maganda sana kung ang ginawa ng PBA unlimited ang height ng imports for this conference, like I said in another room dito sa sports thread mas maganda kung andyan ang mga gaya nila Chris Alexander, Steve Thomas, Adam Parada and other imports who stand at least 6'9 pataas, dyan nila makikita as how Douhit would fare against such imports, kasi pag dating ng Jones Cup at iba pang tournament the height advantage that Douhit is enjoying at the moment would be gone....

Edited by Agent_mulder
  • 2 weeks later...

do you really feel that we can win? sa tagal na nito parang hindi pa mabuo ng maayos ung team. lagi na lang may dagdag bawas. its funny na ung start they say its a developmental team to produce players for the national team.

as we go on the issues of the team never stops whether its the need for a big man, a better scorer etc etc etc

and now resorted to pba players. to me its already losing its essence . . . . .

do you really feel that we can win? sa tagal na nito parang hindi pa mabuo ng maayos ung team. lagi na lang may dagdag bawas. its funny na ung start they say its a developmental team to produce players for the national team.

as we go on the issues of the team never stops whether its the need for a big man, a better scorer etc etc etc

not entirely, kasi ako from the start naniniwala ako that smart-gilas' intention to start from the grass root is the way to go, kaso mo nga bitin talaga panahon (kahit sabihin na 3 years) para bumuo ng gold medal caliber team...hence you need to supplement it with PBA standouts.

If we're looking at the 2012 goal, I doubt ... just being realistic. But being realistic is different from being nationalistic.

I still believe that GILAS is the right direction rather than continue with the pick-up system of the PBA the last of which was the POWERADE TEAM. We really have to have core players that form our national team. As far as the current practice of "dagdag-bawas" or adding players at the last minute to be competitive well that is another story. Some people take is as + since it will give the team an added boost. On the other doing this also takes away the minutes needed by the young players to develop.

If we're looking at the 2012 goal, I doubt ... just being realistic. But being realistic is different from being nationalistic.

The goal for 2012 is to compete in the Olympics, not winning the gold. I hope that competing here in the PBA has somehow improved the team. We'll have to see in their next international outing if the team has progressed.

The goal for 2012 is to compete in the Olympics, not winning the gold. I hope that competing here in the PBA has somehow improved the team. We'll have to see in their next international outing if the team has progressed.

I know ... For that to happen (compete in the Olympics) we have to win the gold in the qualifier (2011 FIBA ASIA) as there is only 1 slot allocated to ASIA for the OLYMPICS.

In effect while the "GOAL" is to be able to play in the Olympics in 2012 ... the hurdle is in 2011. While we've seen this team improve, is it enough to win the Gold? This is a case wherein am happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by Megaeltati

amp baket ganon parang lugi pa sila sa series na to. i know kaya nila ang Ginebra. pero bakit parang lage silang nag hahabol sana makaya nila .at mabawi nila .paabutin sana sa game5 to :D

Kung napanood mo un 2 laro, close game pareho. Un 2nd game lumamang ang Gilas pero hinabol nun 2nd quarter dahil kay NATE. 3rd Q si Mark C naman kumamada. Kahit control ng gin kings un laro nag rally pa rin sa 4th Q ang Gilas pero timely plays kept the lead for good and the win.

Kahit 2-0, I don't think it was an easy win. Thoese were games that could have gone either way.

im not saying that i dont believe in the gilas experiment, what im saying is i dont see it anymore as what it is being told about before and whatever promise or nature it will do for philippine basketball.

if anyone notice whatever team is form to compete internationally there will always be asi and asi being the man holding the fort. 3 years na gilas till now wala pa rin ? lets just say the money isnt there but the system, the recruitment, if your saying you can attract great players i dont get the point bakit wala

you hire an international coach who has a name and make winners like hamed haddadi! but how come wala pa rin sa gilas? is there really no more players out there sa million million na population ng pinas? if aguilar is a waste of time to develop then by Gods grace dapat maghanap na sila ng ibang prospect

i have no objection with adding pba players for additional talent or man power to help but its should not be the solution but just a remedy but ever since naman i have been hearing that wish ng gilas to have certain type of players in their team from the pba.

if that is the case then what is the conclusion?

Edited by launchpad

Kung napanood mo un 2 laro, close game pareho. Un 2nd game lumamang ang Gilas pero hinabol nun 2nd quarter dahil kay NATE. 3rd Q si Mark C naman kumamada. Kahit control ng gin kings un laro nag rally pa rin sa 4th Q ang Gilas pero timely plays kept the lead for good and the win.

Kahit 2-0, I don't think it was an easy win. Thoese were games that could have gone either way.

Ah, oo nga kasi napanood ko ang firstgame eh.2nd game hindi kasi. buti nanalo naman ng game3. 'SANA' kayanin pa nila 2 wins straight! ..

im not saying that i dont believe in the gilas experiment, what im saying is i dont see it anymore as what it is being told about before and whatever promise or nature it will do for philippine basketball.

if anyone notice whatever team is form to compete internationally there will always be asi and asi being the man holding the fort. 3 years na gilas till now wala pa rin ? lets just say the money isnt there but the system, the recruitment, if your saying you can attract great players i dont get the point bakit wala

you hire an international coach who has a name and make winners like hamed haddadi! but how come wala pa rin sa gilas? is there really no more players out there sa million million na population ng pinas? if aguilar is a waste of time to develop then by Gods grace dapat maghanap na sila ng ibang prospect

i have no objection with adding pba players for additional talent or man power to help but its should not be the solution but just a remedy but ever since naman i have been hearing that wish ng gilas to have certain type of players in their team from the pba.

if that is the case then what is the conclusion?

I think we have the same perspective ... I believe that the Gilas experiment is the right way to go than to continue the PBA pick-up system for forming our national team the last of which is the Powerade team.

People have made such statement that our BIGS can compete with the BEST in ASIA. Greg and Japeth and hold their own against YAO and YI. YET, as you pointed out every tournament it seems we can't get enough of an aging ASI moreso getting the minutes of our local BIGS.

I believe that the Gilas experiment is the way to go and hiring a GOOD COACH (may it be local or foreign) another right step. However, dapat talaga may continuing grassroots program to spot the Talented players then start training them as a group while they are still young. Our problem always even the NCC days have been the BIGS. Sa mga guards and forwards somehow we're able to produce players that can be at par or be better off in the Region. Caidic is a fine example. We just can't get a 21-22 year old talent and then say train them and give them more international exposure then they will be as good as YAO, YI or HADDADI. These 3 were trained in their teens and weren't made overnight. Yao if my memory serves me right was just a benchwarmer when he initially joined the seniors team from the junior sqaud.

its sad to really see this thing unfolding to us, from the time it all started and to what it is right now. till now we havent really build a solid foundation and still everything is like ready to fall as the chunks of the pillar are coming off.

i was really expecting after 3 years we ought to have deadly sinpers, or damn good penetrators, somewhat like we dont have the bigs but our guards are something to be reckon with.

look at korea, they never have the big man only a former nba prospect that never unfold himself. still they are fast , shooters and ferocious.

to me its not that we cant, its just we dont do it. who would shell out millions for train 10-40 prospects that no one knows who they are or where they are from or even what position they play. from the typical raw skill and develop to full bred killing the rim type of players.

the solution was never about a third party or a certain sponsor to start with, but it should be from the local govt. anyway, lets not start here anymore we all know that.

truth is developing players is a long period of pain, struggle and headaches. not only does it concerns about the program starting from potential aspects of that kid to how you intend to improve him it goes all the way to maturity and preparedness emotionally and accepting a fact that this kid maybe is not what they think could be and will be ask to leave the program.

the way i see it, even the gilas is all about commerce, business, marketing. if you know a kid from mindanao that is just 6'3 on his 17 yrs of age and is still growing, has good hands etc. problem is he is pure raw! he was approach but only to be assess as last resort call since they go better players from the ncaa, uaap and etc. imagine 17 yrs old train him up for 3 to 5 yrs and you probably got a 6'5 or a 6'7 that plays all around.

problem is the kid isnt there yet, he probably will rot in the bench, wouldnt make any noise of himself playing. but can we actually know what he is after 3 yrs? another thing is the gilas recruitment aims at players of which some decline to join for their own reasons but a fact is it stops there.

come on! paying guys like casio , tiu millions and is it hard to pay a nobody like 50k a month? to see if they are good or not.

i can say this much gilas will probably just be a joke since they will always ask for better players out of their own system, and till now they havent got answers but reasons and reasons always as to why they cant compete at a high level due to what they lack and never develop.

Edited by launchpad