Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

si toroman na ba ang coach ng iran??? after gilas lumipat sya ng iran???

anywho sapalagay ko hindi binigay ang laro ng iran sa jones cup... they just learned from their loss...

different team kasi ang pinadala natin compared sa gilas 1...

they adjusted after that loss kaya ganun ang naging result kahapon

when toroman left Iran he had specifically planted a good foundation for them to work on.

From a point of view of a coach:

Philippines sent an entirely different team during the Jones Cup while Iran sent the same team. Now you cannot scout a different team by merely one game alone. You have to scout them by the whole tournament. When can you scout a new team best? Scout them during a lesser important tournament. The one you can afford to lose to.

Gilas 2 utilized the same offense philosophy in the Jones Cup and FIBA which was the "Dribble and drive". this offense is plainly unstoppable and effective when halfcourt defense is applied. in my point of view, if i'm the coach of Iran, "oh this is a new team. let's see how they will play. let's see what type of offense they will offer. i'll probably let them win so they could boost their confidence and under estimate us the next time we meet. anyway this tourney is not as important as the Fiba Cup." but at the back of my mind i'm already devising a formula to counter your "Dribble and drive offense".

Come Fiba Cup. Let's see if your still gonna use your "Dribble and Drive". Lo and behold, Gilas did. the solution: Back court Pressure Defense. the result: Turnovers.

Like i said, Iran has become a thinking team, courtesy of Rajko Toroman. it's quite obvious.

that's why i theorized Iran deliberately took that loss in the Jones Cup for them to scout the Gilas 2.

Fajardo should really be a staple of Gilas so that Chot Reyes can field a twin tower line-up with Douthit when Gilas is ranged against taller teams.

i never saw fajardo play. what type of player is he? i believe asi taulava can still help the national team. his bulk can be still be used during defense and rebounding.

From a point of view of a coach:

Philippines sent an entirely different team during the Jones Cup while Iran sent the same team. Now you cannot scout a different team by merely one game alone. You have to scout them by the whole tournament. When can you scout a new team best? Scout them during a lesser important tournament. The one you can afford to lose to.

Gilas 2 utilized the same offense philosophy in the Jones Cup and FIBA which was the "Dribble and drive". this offense is plainly unstoppable and effective when halfcourt defense is applied. in my point of view, if i'm the coach of Iran, "oh this is a new team. let's see how they will play. let's see what type of offense they will offer. i'll probably let them win so they could boost their confidence and under estimate us the next time we meet. anyway this tourney is not as important as the Fiba Cup." but at the back of my mind i'm already devising a formula to counter your "Dribble and drive offense".

Come Fiba Cup. Let's see if your still gonna use your "Dribble and Drive". Lo and behold, Gilas did. the solution: Back court Pressure Defense. the result: Turnovers.

Like i said, Iran has become a thinking team, courtesy of Rajko Toroman. it's quite obvious.

that's why i theorized Iran deliberately took that loss in the Jones Cup for them to scout the Gilas 2.

losing by a narrow/winnable margin doesn't mean they gave the game away

they scouted the team, nagulat sila bago mga players...

they reviewed games and adjusted... sadly for gilas there was no plan B

now imagine if castro was playing the point for gilas...

yap waiting at the wing, dillinger at the corner, marcus providing the pick, kelly on the weakside

pick and roll with the option for dish and drive...

the thing here is to provide the defense different looks at our offense...

1. castro can finish

2. marcus can roll hard

3. yap is an excellent catch and shoot player

3.1 this provides the second option catch and shoot or fake then dish and drive

aside from that play we need a post up play to setup our shooters...

i haven't seen a play by gilas wherein they dump the ball inside then rotate the ball in reverse for an open shooter ala spurs

when toroman left Iran he had specifically planted a good foundation for them to work on.

yes, and i think that was the same foundation he instilled in gilas 1...unfortunately, it's now a different ballgame under chot reyes.

i haven't seen fajardo play but gilas 2 surely needs another mobile big man...a pure gunner who's not hesitant to shoot and the defensive toughness of a marc pingris. maybe we'll have a different outcome next time around.

how long toroman handled iran? how long with gilas? which gilas team did he coached?

that is precisely my point. in our country when a new coach or boss comes in everything changes. why can't we institutionalize a system so that anyone who comes in we'll adapt and implement it?

gilas 1 with outstanding amateurs then didn't perform far from how gilas 2 made us proud now, both produced a lot of frustration also. by not continuing the program of toroman everything mvp invested went to waste except for the naturalization of douthit. with gilas 2 we went back to how we were competing in international games before for the last 30 years by picking top pba players, asking them to play amateur rules then send them to compete in qualifiers for the olympics or world championship and if they fail we turn around and look for somebody to blame.

my solution: chot reyes should look for more ganuelas, i mean fil-foreigners who are good, strong and athletic players standing at 6'8" and another 6'11" then include them in a pool that will be exposed to middle eastern, european and u.s. tournaments and train them whole year until the 2013 fiba championship in lebanon.

that is precisely my point. in our country when a new coach or boss comes in everything changes. why can't we institutionalize a system so that anyone who comes in we'll adapt and implement it?

gilas 1 with outstanding amateurs then didn't perform far from how gilas 2 made us proud now, both produced a lot of frustration also. by not continuing the program of toroman everything mvp invested went to waste except for the naturalization of douthit. with gilas 2 we went back to how we were competing in international games before for the last 30 years by picking top pba players, asking them to play amateur rules then send them to compete in qualifiers for the olympics or world championship and if they fail we turn around and look for somebody to blame.

my solution: chot reyes should look for more ganuelas, i mean fil-foreigners who are good, strong and athletic players standing at 6'8" and another 6'11" then include them in a pool that will be exposed to middle eastern, european and u.s. tournaments and train them whole year until the 2013 fiba championship in lebanon.

we have a strong line-up already. giving them exposures to international games na lang ang kulang. in that case the players would know how to adjust and learn how to consistently knock down our outside shots. what we need is palitan ang frontline natin except ranidel de ocampo. kelly williams, definitely next year gagamitin na siya ni chot reyes. but, if we can also have fajardo, slaughter and pingris on our line-up that would be a big boost to marcus and our shooters.

now imagine if castro was playing the point for gilas...

yap waiting at the wing, dillinger at the corner, marcus providing the pick, kelly on the weakside

pick and roll with the option for dish and drive...

the thing here is to provide the defense different looks at our offense...

1. castro can finish

2. marcus can roll hard

3. yap is an excellent catch and shoot player

3.1 this provides the second option catch and shoot or fake then dish and drive

aside from that play we need a post up play to setup our shooters...

i haven't seen a play by gilas wherein they dump the ball inside then rotate the ball in reverse for an open shooter ala spurs

agree with you on james yap's capabilities but the guy has back spasms and couldn't play up to his potential during his team's finals' games.

Edited by game_boy

Me neither, but of course, I trust Tim Cone's assessment that he is Kareem Abdul Jabbar without the skyhook.

If the guy is REALLY a "KAJ" w/o the skyhook type of a player, shouldn't he be playing in the NBA or at least the D-League?

Well at least I expect that he should have performed much better that what he did in his ABL playing days against his SEA counterparts as well as the "imports" .

People at times are fooled for being too trusting.

• Like (+1) 1

it was mvp who did not want to continue his gilas program and toromans service. toroman was insisting on an all amateur squad. mvp put his foot down and insisted pro-players be accomodated. until it led to toroman being fired.

my solution: change chot reyes. and yes go out and look for grassroot players. so many untapped. there are more fajardos that we can train. go to provinces instead of scouting in the high profile uaap and paying big money for fil-foreigners commitment. the fil-foreigners and foreign coaches are mere paid mercenaries (case in point are the younghusbands. money first before being filipino). try to convince jaworski to coach the national team. bo perasol is a good alternative. even the most hated yeng guiao (as long as he will commit and focus)

slaughter has a decent 3 pt shooting. its his inside game thats questionable in international competitions. malambot. fajardo? not sure.

teaching greg slaughter and junemar fajardo how to make 3 point shots with at least 50% accuracy would allow douthit to have better inside game.