Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

WHAT????? Si Bading????? papalit na coach????????? Time to watch football, volleyball and baseball na lang.:angry:

My God! Mas ok pa si Norman Black or even a Franz Pumaren. Give these guys good lineups and they will steal the limelight out of every coach. Yes, nawala si Franz sa La Salle BUT its all because of the weak players, not the weakness as a coach! And itong dalawang ito, they know the international rules and types of plays. AGAIN........

WHAT????? Si Bading????? papalit na coach????????? Time to watch football, volleyball and baseball na lang.:angry:

I remember na naman yung heady days of Philippine basketball. Asian countries usually get our coaches' services..........LAURO MUMAR...India got his services and now India is a power in Asian Basketball kasi ba naman sa dami ng kanilang population (although lately, they aren't that interested sa basketball). TEMBONG MELENCIO....credit for the development of basketball sa Kuwait. He brough his experience and knowledge sa bansang iyun and now, highly regarded and, sometimes, feared. There are other coaches the likes of JOE LIPA, forgot the country who hired his services as consultant. There are others................ and I am speaking of the amateur (no PBA pa) days of Philippine basketball.

I remember na naman yung heady days of Philippine basketball. Asian countries usually get our coaches' services..........LAURO MUMAR...India got his services and now India is a power in Asian Basketball kasi ba naman sa dami ng kanilang population (although lately, they aren't that interested sa basketball). TEMBONG MELENCIO....credit for the development of basketball sa Kuwait. He brough his experience and knowledge sa bansang iyun and now, highly regarded and, sometimes, feared. There are other coaches the likes of JOE LIPA, forgot the country who hired his services as consultant. There are others................ and I am speaking of the amateur (no PBA pa) days of Philippine basketball.

I agree.. those were the days. ngayon, hanggang South East Asia na lang tayo kinukuha since almost sila na lang kaya nating i-dominate. tongue.gif

Wag naman sanang si Chot Reyes ang kunin ulit na coach ng Gilas since pang-PBA lang ang style ng game nya. If not Toroman sana someone with rich international experience although i prefer na i-retain pa din kunin for continuity's sake. Coach Baldwin of Jordan hit the nail on the head when he said that the Phil. team is very inexperienced in the international scene and it was only because of Toroman that we were still able to overcome it. Sad reality but true since the PBA brand of play is not the same or in the same level as that of the international game. Gone where the days when we think the players that play in it are the best in Asia. Maganda lang sya panoorin (flashy individual plays) but it wouldn't bring us back the gold in Asia nor qualify in the olympics.

but it seems all roads lead to chot as the new coach of gilas. as for coach rajko mukhang he will be given a consultant post with the SBP. I would rather go with chot reyes kesa kay kalbong yeng guiao. pero kung si norman black much better. si billy ray bates kaya?

If Toroman is still interested with the job, then why not just give him a new contract? I believe even without being able to win it all, he's able to prove his worth.

I love BRB as a player but for him to coach Gilas? I would not want the idea that a rookie coach will handle the national squad.

Edited by celts_sucks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

but it seems all roads lead to chot as the new coach of gilas. as for coach rajko mukhang he will be given a consultant post with the SBP. I would rather go with chot reyes kesa kay kalbong yeng guiao. pero kung si norman black much better. si billy ray bates kaya?

Baka naman puro inuman ang ituro sa mga players kung si BRB ang magiging coach.

its been ages since we had a national basketball program.

toroman's 3 years of basketball program improved us from #54 to #45. hell! we couldve rung up a few notches higher if we hadnt lost to #34 korea.

the argument is simple. between the two (toroman and reyes) who is well versed in fiba rules? who knows the coaches, players and scouts of the other teams? and who has the experience in coaching at fiba sanctioned games?

sbp officials mus not throw it away. the program works. let rajko toroman stay as coach. and kick chot out of any duties in smart gilas basketball program.

Haaayz... suddenly, the future of Philippine basketball has again become so gloomy.

Under coach Toroman, the Gilas team placed 4th over-all in the latest FIBA Asia championship DESPITE having eight (8) AMATEUR players. What more can we ask for?

And then ano na ang susunod na plano? Haphazard preparation ulit?!?

its been ages since we had a national basketball program.

toroman's 3 years of basketball program improved us from #54 to #45. hell! we couldve rung up a few notches higher if we hadnt lost to #34 korea.

the argument is simple. between the two (toroman and reyes) who is well versed in fiba rules? who knows the coaches, players and scouts of the other teams? and who has the experience in coaching at fiba sanctioned games?

sbp officials mus not throw it away. the program works. let rajko toroman stay as coach. and kick chot out of any duties in smart gilas basketball program.

two more wins. this was how gilas was so close in accomplishing its goal...who knows? maybe a few lucky bounce in the dying seconds of its last game against korea, we might've made it to the qualifying. nonetheless, the undeniable fact remains that it was toroman's knowledge of international basketball that made this leap (from #54 to #45). sbp should just retain the services of toroman and continue the program. the 4th place finish showed that the program worked. chot reyes? forget it...he had his chance before. unfortunately his program didn't work.

Edited by junix

two more wins. this was how gilas was so close in accomplishing its goal...who knows? maybe a few lucky bounce in the dying seconds of its last game against korea, we might've made it to the qualifying. nonetheless, the undeniable fact remains that it was toroman's knowledge of international basketball that made this leap (from #54 to #45). sbp should just retain the services of toroman and continue the program. the 4th place finish showed that the program worked. chot reyes? forget it...he had his chance before. unfortunately his program didn't work.

sir junix, thats precisely what im talking about.

sayang talaga ang program ni coach rajko.

if theres one thing that mvp could learn from boss danding as a basketball patriarch is this.

boss danding stuck it out with ron jacobs and his boys come hell or high water.

again we fail still see the tree and not the forest.... when we participated in the asian games with the same team without MARCUS we placed a miserable 8th place.... we were able to land fourth because of having an american center playing for us... we remove the naturalized american and i doubt (douhit) if we could land in the top five..... so the simpliest thing to do to improve our position is to sign up a couple of BIG AMERICAN IMPORT and put them in the line up.... so that if you want to out and compete in the asian region you could select top teams in the PBA and insert the BIG AMERICAN.... this is simple and lest costly for us rather than maintain a pool of players which will disrupte our regular basketball season.... its the import that have given us the big boost here and not toroman or any other coach out there....

if theres one thing that mvp could learn from boss danding as a basketball patriarch is this.

absolutely true my friend...it was danding financing and the ncc team all the way. i guess i don't have to elaborate on what coach ron and his boys were able to achieve. i just hope it's mvp and toroman this time.

again we fail still see the tree and not the forest.... when we participated in the asian games with the same team without MARCUS we placed a miserable 8th place.... we were able to land fourth because of having an american center playing for us... we remove the naturalized american and i doubt (douhit) if we could land in the top five..... so the simpliest thing to do to improve our position is to sign up a couple of BIG AMERICAN IMPORT and put them in the line up.... so that if you want to out and compete in the asian region you could select top teams in the PBA and insert the BIG AMERICAN.... this is simple and lest costly for us rather than maintain a pool of players which will disrupte our regular basketball season.... its the import that have given us the big boost here and not toroman or any other coach out there....

so are you suggesting that in order for the philippines to be competitive in asian basketball, it has to hire the services of "big american imports" to beef up its lineup? unfortunately my friend this suggestion of yours is not only absurd but likewise legally untenable. can you just imagine the flack that you will be receiving if ever american imports will don the philippine jersey? kung si toroman noong nag-uumpisa pa lang ang programa niya inulan ng batikos, what more american imports playing for the philippine flag. secondly, i don't think fiba rules will allow it. as far as i know, only one naturalized player can represent a country in fiba sanctioned tournaments. tama ba mga basketball experts?

so are you suggesting that in order for the philippines to be competitive in asian basketball, it has to hire the services of "big american imports" to beef up its lineup? unfortunately my friend this suggestion of yours is not only absurd but likewise legally untenable. can you just imagine the flack that you will be receiving if ever american imports will don the philippine jersey? kung si toroman noong nag-uumpisa pa lang ang programa niya inulan ng batikos, what more american imports playing for the philippine flag. secondly, i don't think fiba rules will allow it. as far as i know, only one naturalized player can represent a country in fiba sanctioned tournaments. tama ba mga basketball experts?

yes sir tama po, FIBA only allows one player per national team hindi tulad ng dati where we were able to field Engelland, Still and Moore back in the 80's.. Akin lang even with an Kuya Marcus Douhtit in the line up you cannot disregard the fact the improvement of our national team over the years, after our fall from grace gawa ng bwiset na suspension na yan a few years back that IMHO really affected our national team, we're getting there.. Nakakalungkot lang dami paring bumabatikos sa nagawa ng Team Pinas nung FIBA Asia, keso 4th lang daw etc etc and I don't know why SOME idiotic or crab soccer fars are still yapping and yapping on how we or in their terms the team "failed" to win unlike their team(our soccer team)..

Edited by JediMasterTebs

toroman had a program. he merely formed a team around douthit and took it from there.

ts not correct to say that we never had international experience. for the past 2 years thats all gilas did. get international experience. thats the program of smart (not to roman's). problem is the players who got international experience were DROPPED at the last minute. toroman all of a sudden realized at the last minute that the players that he got were not good! (although i think he should stuck with them and added douthit) toroman invented excuses to get rid of the players he trained and demanded to get pba players from pangilinan.

in short, with the support that toroman got, i don't think there should be any excuses! worse: consolation prizes!. he failed plain and simple. lets look for someone who can deliver. because we know for a fact that WE CAN!

I agree.. those were the days. ngayon, hanggang South East Asia na lang tayo kinukuha since almost sila na lang kaya nating i-dominate. tongue.gif

Wag naman sanang si Chot Reyes ang kunin ulit na coach ng Gilas since pang-PBA lang ang style ng game nya. If not Toroman sana someone with rich international experience although i prefer na i-retain pa din kunin for continuity's sake. Coach Baldwin of Jordan hit the nail on the head when he said that the Phil. team is very inexperienced in the international scene and it was only because of Toroman that we were still able to overcome it. Sad reality but true since the PBA brand of play is not the same or in the same level as that of the international game. Gone where the days when we think the players that play in it are the best in Asia. Maganda lang sya panoorin (flashy individual plays) but it wouldn't bring us back the gold in Asia nor qualify in the olympics.

what do you think of this? parang we can naman. SEA games is not as competitive as Asian games. but this will be interesting. how our collegiate players will fare and how norman black will handle the team.

SEA Games five can survive without Douthit, says Black

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

9:49 pm | Friday, October 7th, 2011

43share58 15

MANILA—The collegiate-based national basketball team set to see action in the Southeast Asian Games still has enough firepower even with naturalized center Marcus Douthit likely skipping the regional tournament set in Jakarta next month.

National coach Norman Black said the squad still has the “most talented players” led by Ateneo star Greg Slaughter even if Douthit decides to play for the Foshan Dralions in the Chinese league.

“With the talent level of this team offensively, we can probably go out and run,” Black said in yesterday’s Scoop Forum at Kamayan Padre Faura.

“We’ll be a fastbreaking team, but at the same time, I’m more concerned on the defensive end of the court. They know the system already, and now, we just have to work on the execution.”

The 6-foot-11 Douthit, whose contract with Smart Gilas expires by the end of the year, has received a five-month offer to play as an import in China.

Black said the young Philippine squad still boasts a solid cast of big men led by the seven-foot Slaughter, San Sebastian’s Ian Sangalang and Far Eastern University’s Aldrech Ramos, whom the multititled mentor plans to invite if Douthit begs off.

Although the team has submitted its 12-man lineup to the SEA Games, Black said he’ll still likely tweak the roster. Teams are allowed to change their lineups until the managers’ meeting.

“We haven’t really settled on the final 12 yet,” said Black, who just steered Ateneo to a fourth straight UAAP championship.

“We have a pool of 18 players and we’ll choose from there. On chemistry, I don’t see that as a problem if you can get guys committed to just one goal, which is to win the championship. The players are willing to sacrifice, they have good attitude and they work hard.”

Aside from Slaughter, Black tapped Ateneo standouts Nico Salva, Kiefer Ravena, Emman Monfort and Justin Chua.

National University’s Ray Parks and Far Eastern University’s RR Garcia, the MVPs in the last two UAAP seasons, are also in the national pool along with University of Santo Tomas’ Jeric Teng, San Sebastian’s Ian Sangalang and Ronald Pascual, San Beda’s Jake Pascual and Garvo Lanete.

Rounding up the pool are Smart Gilas skipper Chris Tiu and Filipino-Americans Clifford Hodge and Chris Ellis of PBA D-League champion NLEX, Chris Newsome and Keith Jensen.

“We have the most talented players in this part of the world, but of course we can’t really bank on that going into the tournament,” said Black. “You have to get the team together and make sure they’re well-trained. Right now, everybody’s committed to go full speed and we have five weeks to get it done.”

what do you think of this? parang we can naman. SEA games is not as competitive as Asian games. but this will be interesting. how our collegiate players will fare and how norman black will handle the team.

SEA Games five can survive without Douthit, says Black

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

9:49 pm | Friday, October 7th, 2011

43share58 15

MANILA—The collegiate-based national basketball team set to see action in the Southeast Asian Games still has enough firepower even with naturalized center Marcus Douthit likely skipping the regional tournament set in Jakarta next month.

National coach Norman Black said the squad still has the "most talented players" led by Ateneo star Greg Slaughter even if Douthit decides to play for the Foshan Dralions in the Chinese league.

"With the talent level of this team offensively, we can probably go out and run," Black said in yesterday's Scoop Forum at Kamayan Padre Faura.

"We'll be a fastbreaking team, but at the same time, I'm more concerned on the defensive end of the court. They know the system already, and now, we just have to work on the execution."

The 6-foot-11 Douthit, whose contract with Smart Gilas expires by the end of the year, has received a five-month offer to play as an import in China.

Black said the young Philippine squad still boasts a solid cast of big men led by the seven-foot Slaughter, San Sebastian's Ian Sangalang and Far Eastern University's Aldrech Ramos, whom the multititled mentor plans to invite if Douthit begs off.

Although the team has submitted its 12-man lineup to the SEA Games, Black said he'll still likely tweak the roster. Teams are allowed to change their lineups until the managers' meeting.

"We haven't really settled on the final 12 yet," said Black, who just steered Ateneo to a fourth straight UAAP championship.

"We have a pool of 18 players and we'll choose from there. On chemistry, I don't see that as a problem if you can get guys committed to just one goal, which is to win the championship. The players are willing to sacrifice, they have good attitude and they work hard."

Aside from Slaughter, Black tapped Ateneo standouts Nico Salva, Kiefer Ravena, Emman Monfort and Justin Chua.

National University's Ray Parks and Far Eastern University's RR Garcia, the MVPs in the last two UAAP seasons, are also in the national pool along with University of Santo Tomas' Jeric Teng, San Sebastian's Ian Sangalang and Ronald Pascual, San Beda's Jake Pascual and Garvo Lanete.

Rounding up the pool are Smart Gilas skipper Chris Tiu and Filipino-Americans Clifford Hodge and Chris Ellis of PBA D-League champion NLEX, Chris Newsome and Keith Jensen.

"We have the most talented players in this part of the world, but of course we can't really bank on that going into the tournament," said Black. "You have to get the team together and make sure they're well-trained. Right now, everybody's committed to go full speed and we have five weeks to get it done."

Definitely we can top the Sea Games but still we do not need to be over confident

Aldrech Ramos and Greg Slaughter will be fine if South East Asian games lang ang laro. It's still not that competitive as compared to the Asian level plus Norman Black would be coaching the team that would have Kiefer Ravena and Ray Parks. Overkill na yon pag sinama pa si kuya Marcus tongue.gif Better to play the young ones here para makadevelop ng chemistry at cohesion. Dapat kinuha na nga agad as consultant man lang si coach Rajko dito at i-retain na agad services nya. Sayang yong oras eh.