Practical Shooting

pareng pare

I own a sam trooper 1911 9mm na short 3.5" barrel.. its a cheap gun pero not bad, accurate naman and lesser recoil due to its steel frame and addt'l custom stabilizer with mercury.. not sure how big is the difference between sa stabilizer na my mercury at sa wala since di ko ntry gamitn ng plain stabilizer lang, nahirapan kasi ako humanap kaya ngpasadya nlng..

may outdoor range ba somewhere near araneta-quezon ave area? i'm currently shooting sa armscor makati, kaya lang medyo nalalayuan na ako..

pwede din ba un stock na steel frame iconvert sa hi-cap frame o kelangan tlg palit buong frame?

I'm posting this as a total ignoramus when it comes to guns and shooting. Please bear with me. :lol:

For the longest time, I've been thinking of trying practical shooting, but I really don't know anyone who can give me pointers. Anyway, I got a few questions:

- What gun can you recommend for first-time users like me? Take into consideration that I'm a woman and some of the guns that you boys are using might be too heavy for me.

- Is it safe for a woman to get into this thing? Obviously, almost all of the posts here are from males. :P

- I live in Manila. Can you recommend any firing ranges in the area where I can practice shooting?

Thanks! :)

hmmm. i would suggest you try .380 or 9mm. i have friends who tried it in .45 cal and they ended up hating it too much recoil and too much muzzle flip daw. its ok to use pistols that are heavy as they are a lot easier to manipulate.

As for your safety it will depend on who is teaching you.stay away from mall ninjas as they don't know anything than pretend to be an operator or something.hehehehe

as for firing ranges i would suggest you go to pb dionisio and look for edgar magdasol, he is a range officer there and a multi awarded shooter. you can also rent a gun there and buy range ammo too just be prepared to shell out a lot as you will have to pay for range fee, gun rental and ammo that you will use.

i hope this helps.

I'm posting this as a total ignoramus when it comes to guns and shooting. Please bear with me. :lol:

For the longest time, I've been thinking of trying practical shooting, but I really don't know anyone who can give me pointers. Anyway, I got a few questions:

- What gun can you recommend for first-time users like me? Take into consideration that I'm a woman and some of the guns that you boys are using might be too heavy for me.

- Is it safe for a woman to get into this thing? Obviously, almost all of the posts here are from males. :P

- I live in Manila. Can you recommend any firing ranges in the area where I can practice shooting?

hi blackmagicwoman...for a first time user, specially the gender issue...i would recommend the 9mm caliber or even tried the 45 caliber ... so whats the difference between the two:

1. 9mm has less recoil vis a vis 45 caliber.

2. 45 caliber is one of the best gun in terms of stopping power which is ideal for self defense but high recoil.

i would say, it is very safe to exchange into this kind of sports and infact there is a lady category whenever we have a shooting competition, to separate the guys and lady shooters from the award. however, lady shooters are included in the aggregate scores etc....

i suggest you try armscor shooting ranges in marikina where you can also borrow different kind of house gun so you could feel which caliber fits you best.

as for manila tonight shooters...iam now in philippines....you may schedule our practice so we could meet up and exchange some trainings tips in the range....

GOOD LUCK AND SSAFETY SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for first timer girls, I suggest go for a .22 pistol.. There's a cute pink walter p22 for around 15K sa gun show.. very little recoil, parang wala na nga recoil sa hina, small, very accurate and cheap ammo, around P160-P170 per 50rds box.. compared that sa usual P9 fmj reload lng ng 9mm shells.. hindi pa maingay.. ok din bang carry since it's really compact with 10rds per magzn.. gusto ko din kuha non e.. pero I'm currently looking for a gunsmith to convert my 1911 std frame to hi-cap frame, or cheap frame kahit used basta ok performance.. Does anyone here has an idea how much ang hicap aluminum frame sa armscor for 1911 9mm?

I own a sam trooper 1911 9mm na short 3.5" barrel.. its a cheap gun pero not bad, accurate naman and lesser recoil due to its steel frame and addt'l custom stabilizer with mercury.. not sure how big is the difference between sa stabilizer na my mercury at sa wala since di ko ntry gamitn ng plain stabilizer lang, nahirapan kasi ako humanap kaya ngpasadya nlng..

may outdoor range ba somewhere near araneta-quezon ave area? i'm currently shooting sa armscor makati, kaya lang medyo nalalayuan na ako..

pwede din ba un stock na steel frame iconvert sa hi-cap frame o kelangan tlg palit buong frame?

you could try the two dionisios as i call them. both PB dionisio and Jethro dionisio have their ranges in the san francisco del monte area. check their web sites for the maps. :) you could also shoot in crame or aguinaldo ranges.....

you have to change the lower frame to a hi-cap frame. barrel and slide are the same. all other parts could also work. check with a reputable gun smith. better yet, while in either of the above ranges, or in your armscor range, check with their gunsmith...:)

bakit po ang tawag nyo practical shooting at nde target shooting or gun shooting? :unsure:

it is called practical shooting to differentiate it from olympic style target shooting.

at the start, olympic shooting involved using 38 special revolvers, but as time progressed, they stuck with special accurized 22caliber pistols and rifles. even 22caliber air guns. practical shooting grew out as a way for military, police and civilians to shoot in 'practical conditions' with guns available to the public. if you went to an event, you would see that practical shooting involves multiple targets, sometimes moving, as you move down an obstacle course, opposite olympic shooting where the competitor is in a stationary position. also firearms used run the gamut which is available to everyone

Thanks for the tips, guys. I really appreciate it. Will ask for your help pag bibili na ng baril. :P

lollipop, that gun sounds interesting, but the last thing I want is a cute, pink pistol, hehe. Will check it out tho.

LOL! sayang blackmagicwoman, Tanfoglio is offering their FT9 and FT22 in pink for female shooters;)

is practical shooting safe? i believe it is, and i also believe that a woman should be encouraged to learn. my wife does shoot, but she doesn't compete, more like practice with her own firearm.

my advice is go to your nearest reputable range, and loan one of their firearms in the 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers to test them out and find out your preference. most women i know prefer the 9mm for the same comments posted before me. my wife, however, still was not comfortable with the 9mm as most of these tend to have thick grips, and she had a problem with the recoil hurting her hands. she's an ophthalmologist, so her hands getting hurt were out of the question. i ended up getting her a tanfoglio FT9, which is in 380 caliber, a bullet of roughly the same size size but lower velocity.

hmmm, what could i recommend? well, as stated above, there's the walther P22. i would also recommend tanfolglio's FT22, which has an SRP of 20k. Bersa also makes a nice 22caliber. as for 380, bersa has two models, a slim line and a hi-cap. tanfoglio has the FT9 as stated before, and walther has the famous PPK (made famous as the favorite gun of the immortal James Bond).

waa gang dito me lolo pa din!!!

nde ko talaga alam ung tanong ko..si bigdyes mas madami yan, umarkila na ng warehouse para gawin lalagyan ng trophy :)

dami pala nakahubad na chicks dito nyahehehe

alamat ang lolo mo eh!hehehehehehe

magkano magpareload sayo?baka may secret recepie ka na dyan share mo naman sa amin.

hi miggyE,

just like blackmagicwoman, i'm completely lacking in info with regards to practical shooting.

pero what i have in mind is shooting the clay pigeons, i think this is called skeet or trap shooting? Tama ba?

if yes, please advise me where the shooting ranges are, and how much for lessons, equipment, etc.

many thanks in advance,

mango

LOL! sayang blackmagicwoman, Tanfoglio is offering their FT9 and FT22 in pink for female shooters;)

is practical shooting safe? i believe it is, and i also believe that a woman should be encouraged to learn. my wife does shoot, but she doesn't compete, more like practice with her own firearm.

my advice is go to your nearest reputable range, and loan one of their firearms in the 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers to test them out and find out your preference. most women i know prefer the 9mm for the same comments posted before me. my wife, however, still was not comfortable with the 9mm as most of these tend to have thick grips, and she had a problem with the recoil hurting her hands. she's an ophthalmologist, so her hands getting hurt were out of the question. i ended up getting her a tanfoglio FT9, which is in 380 caliber, a bullet of roughly the same size size but lower velocity.

hmmm, what could i recommend? well, as stated above, there's the walther P22. i would also recommend tanfolglio's FT22, which has an SRP of 20k. Bersa also makes a nice 22caliber. as for 380, bersa has two models, a slim line and a hi-cap. tanfoglio has the FT9 as stated before, and walther has the famous PPK (made famous as the favorite gun of the immortal James Bond).

yup, the type of shooting you are referring to is called both skeet and trap. difference i think is basically minor, and has to do with the way the clays are shot out and their positioning. both are olympic level events. there are several ranges i think are open, but the one i am sure of is the one in antipolo. it's on the same road as the Rizal PNP and antipolo city jail but much further off. will ask my friends who are into this sport for other venues.

hmmm, equipment is kinda pricey. for one, the favored shotgun for these events is an under/over double barrel, not semi or pump. reason, semi and pumps tend to be less quick on the second shot. favored calibers here are 12 and 16 gauge, which you could also use for hunting. number 4 buck and 6 or 7 birdshot seems also preferred.

for the shotguns, you could check twin pines in any of their outlets, the gun shops in the basement of Makati Cinema Square, or PB dionisio along roces ave.

again, i just know the basics. will ask my friends who do this and post it here.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty pissed this morning. I passed by PNP today to get some forms so that I can finally get a PTC once this stupid anti-freedom & pro-criminal gun ban is lifted. I did get the form but I was told I might not be able to use it anyway because the f#&king Chief PNP wants it to be a permanent total gun ban. As stated in the news, Noynoy is against it because obviously it would mean that only criminals will have guns. I think they are having a meeting/summit today to discuss this. Tawag daw ako uli sa Monday to find out.

I inherited my dad's Ithaca 1911, which based on the serial number is from WW2. I've never shot it and I was looking forward to taking it to a range once I get my PTC. I am praying for reason to prevail in their meeting.

Anyway, I was advised to join a gun club so that I can at least transport my gun to different shooting ranges within Manila. Can you guys recommend gun clubs/ranges? Sorry for the rant. THANKS!!!

I'm pretty pissed this morning. I passed by PNP today to get some forms so that I can finally get a PTC once this stupid anti-freedom & pro-criminal gun ban is lifted. I did get the form but I was told I might not be able to use it anyway because the f#&king Chief PNP wants it to be a permanent total gun ban. As stated in the news, Noynoy is against it because obviously it would mean that only criminals will have guns. I think they are having a meeting/summit today to discuss this. Tawag daw ako uli sa Monday to find out.

I inherited my dad's Ithaca 1911, which based on the serial number is from WW2. I've never shot it and I was looking forward to taking it to a range once I get my PTC. I am praying for reason to prevail in their meeting.

Anyway, I was advised to join a gun club so that I can at least transport my gun to different shooting ranges within Manila. Can you guys recommend gun clubs/ranges? Sorry for the rant. THANKS!!!

Currently, there is a Conference/Convention going on in Crame with both Pro-Gun and the anti-gun lobby. from what i could piece together, the PNP will allow sale licensing and PTCs as it does currently. penalties for loose firearms, however, will be dramatically ramped up. Also, there is currently a bill in congress, by congressman antonino, that seeks to give the same rights here ala US bill of rights for firearms holders.

as to ranges in manila, which part of manila or the metro are you in? there are several all around the metro....

Currently, there is a Conference/Convention going on in Crame with both Pro-Gun and the anti-gun lobby. from what i could piece together, the PNP will allow sale licensing and PTCs as it does currently. penalties for loose firearms, however, will be dramatically ramped up. Also, there is currently a bill in congress, by congressman antonino, that seeks to give the same rights here ala US bill of rights for firearms holders.

as to ranges in manila, which part of manila or the metro are you in? there are several all around the metro....

Hey that is good news, since i believe we desperately need a bill that gives us right to own a Gun not just a priviledge.

I read in the paper today that so far they did not decide to do away with the PTC. So it looks like I will be able to get one. I just hope that after I get one (and pay around 7 or 8k for it), they won't just change their minds and decide Filipino's don't have the right to protect themselves and instead have to rely on our super-competent PNP to protect us.

I'm from the Greenhills/Ortigas area. The only ranges I've been to are at Ortigas Home Depot and somewhere in Broadway/Aurora (a long time ago).

I read in the paper today that so far they did not decide to do away with the PTC. So it looks like I will be able to get one. I just hope that after I get one (and pay around 7 or 8k for it), they won't just change their minds and decide Filipino's don't have the right to protect themselves and instead have to rely on our super-competent PNP to protect us.

I'm from the Greenhills/Ortigas area. The only ranges I've been to are at Ortigas Home Depot and somewhere in Broadway/Aurora (a long time ago).

i'm afraid joe1234, that those ranges are the only ones in the area. unless you want to use the renges in crame and aguinaldo.....

Edited by miggyE