All About Hongkong! Shopping, Hotels, Tourist Spots - Merged Threa

Hey ER, How's the weather in HKG now? I'll be there during the APEC holiday on november :)

Shall I bring winter clothes?

hot! pretty much like Sing and MNL.

But then again, November might be a different story :)

one travel habit that i never forget to do -- check google for weather 1 or 2 days before i leave.

or at least before i start packing. So i know which set of clothes to bring. :)

Edited by ermita rojo
  • 2 weeks later...

Planning to go to HK next month. OK pa ba kapag ganitong season (christmas)?

and going to buy lot of stuff, di kaya ako mahold sa customs? :D

If you want the latest in gadget or fashion, Shops in HK are it. But there is a great difference in prices between tourist areas and for locals market place. If you have enough time then window shop first. They also got online listings but afaik they do not encourage online shopping there. They want you to move around and spend for the hunting adventure. In some cases the shop keepers tease you and offer half the price of what you already got.

Personally I feel that the shops that are not in the main roadways got better prices. But depend on no rules. These shops are mostly cooperatives (family enterprises that controls several stores offering similar merchandise) and may alter the conditions at a whim. So do not try to do a lot of shopping at once unless you know already what you want.

BTW no need to declare at customs if it is for PERSONAL effects, unless the volume exceeds the norm for individual use.

• Like (+1) 1

If you want the latest in gadget or fashion, Shops in HK are it. But there is a great difference in prices between tourist areas and for locals market place. If you have enough time then window shop first. They also got online listings but afaik they do not encourage online shopping there. They want you to move around and spend for the hunting adventure. In some cases the shop keepers tease you and offer half the price of what you already got.

Personally I feel that the shops that are not in the main roadways got better prices. But depend on no rules. These shops are mostly cooperatives (family enterprises that controls several stores offering similar merchandise) and may alter the conditions at a whim. So do not try to do a lot of shopping at once unless you know already what you want.

BTW no need to declare at customs if it is for PERSONAL effects, unless the volume exceeds the norm for individual use.

Thanks for the reply, hitman05. Now I know what to avoid. :) Going to buy mostly clothes for family members as Christmas gift.

So I took down notes of affordable places that was mentioned in the previous pages here:

ladies market, you ma tei, flover road (all in mongkok?)

Ap Lei Chau, Harbor City/Silver Chord, Tungchung (dunno which area these ones are)

Are these in the same area?

would really appreciate if you can add some more :P :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...