fMLB Full Count 10

bubuy

Yeah, ganun na nga. I guess when I said "I just dont understand", I really meant that "ayaw ko intindihin", ha ha.

Edit: I just checked the rankings at ngayon tanggap ko na. :lol: I guess it was just ignorance on my part. Sowi. :lol:

(Kung si Jongkers to, sasabihin nya na "sowee, aso lang.) :lol:

Edited by agentjackbauer
Oh well, I guess you can argue it both ways. Being a pro-bat manager, I dont know why Im doing the arguing for a pitcher, he he. But I guess I just didnt understand why Consig had to be the one giving up Jacoby after already including the best SP in baseball (with apologies to Lincecum).

It just solely depends on the value.

And when you say value, its everybody's perception of what it is on a certain player.

Para sa akin, si Johan pa rin ang best SP ng baseball.. Walang duda yun. He's been doing this for the last 4-5 years.

First time ko pa lang mag-fMLB, siya na ang top-rated SP.

Like Funston said, he's the Peyton Manning of baseball.

But Lincecum could be the one who'll solidify his position as the next best SP.

There's actually a jinx going on there. And most of us are pointing that the innings count is taking its toll on their arms.

Peavy '06 and Oswalt '07 are the prime examples that I know from this case. They were ranked in the top-3 before fantasy season started.

After their regressions, they bounced back.

Hindi kaya tama sila sa mga sinasabi nila: NL pitching = gold ?

point taken bro.

like I said, I love Johan as much as the next guy.

he'll likely have another outstanding season and perhaps three more after that.

he's good, he's a consummate pro and he's competing for a Cy Young and 20wins/200Ks year in/year out.

on top of all that, according to early returns, the new Mets ballpark is immensely pitcher friendly---of course, not that he really needs any more help.

was just asking for some insurance in the form of a bat, preferably an outfielder.

I'd even be willing to throw in picks, a player or a farmboy to even it out.

but that's that.

pretty happy with what we have though I'm still open to swinging a couple of deals.

Thing is, home-run power can still be found at the end of drafts (Dunn, Pat B, Cojack etc). Maybe not the same kind of quality as Josh but power will always be available in the FA pool at any given time during the course of the season. There is always someone who gets hot for a particular stretch of time.

Oh well, I guess you can argue it both ways. Being a pro-bat manager, I dont know why Im doing the arguing for a pitcher, he he. But I guess I just didnt understand why Consig had to be the one giving up Jacoby after already including the best SP in baseball (with apologies to Lincecum).

from http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/1/5/...fect-update-7-r

Here are the pitchers that Tom Verducci listed as being possible victims of the so-called Verducci Effect in 2008 (noted prior to the start of the season): Ian Kennedy

Fausto Carmona

Ubaldo Jimenez

Tom Gorzelanny

Dustin McGowan

Chad Gaudin

Yovani Gallardo

Wow – pretty convincing evidence for this theory. Kennedy was awful at the major league level; Carmona was hurt for much of the year and ineffective when healthy; Gorzelanny’s ERA went up nearly three full runs; Gallardo got hurt and missed most of the season (although this is unfair, as his injury was a fluke unrelated to his shoulder or arm).

Jimenez defied the Verducci Effect, pitching nearly 200 innings and showing tremendous improvement. Gaudin pitched primarily out of the bullpen and maintained his production. However, five of the seven players that Verducci identified as being particularly risky were either hurt or very ineffective in 2008.

and in fairness, McGowan was serviceable.

“It's like training for a marathon. You need to build stamina incrementally. The unofficial industry standard is that no young pitcher should throw more than 30 more innings than he did the previous season. It's a general rule of thumb, and one I've been tracking for about a decade. When teams violate the incremental safeguard, it's amazing how often they pay for it.”

of course, some players will defy the Verducci effect---some guys just have better arms than others.

who knows? Linc might be the exception.

And btw, si Tom Verducci rin ang sumulat ng article about Lincecum sa SI.

Wala naman nasabi kung kasama siya sa effect nya.

well, iba naman kasi yun.

Verducci wrote it as a feature story midseason.

so naturally, he wouldn't mention any of that.

he probably didn't even think the little dude would end up pitching that many innings.

he was just trying to sell the guy as the next great pitcher of his generation.

that's it.

from fangraphs:

Tim Lincecum (24), +49.2 IP

Giants manager Bruce Bochy did not seem to use much discretion with Lincecum in ‘08, bringing him back into a game after a lengthy rain delay and allowing him to toss at least 110 pitches in 18 of his 33 starts. We’ve all heard the arguments of Lincecum’s “rubber arm” and freakishness, but Tim racked up the highest Pitcher Abuse Points score by a wide margin, and accumulated such a lofty workload for a cellar-dweller. From a cost/benefit standpoint, was it really worth pushing the guy so hard?

he's a freak, he may be worth rolling the dice on and beating Verducci with his freaky mechanics and pure stuff.

all signs seem to hint at a regression but hey...who really knows for sure?

Edited by gift_of_game
^

kinda like the Beatles.

edit:

inabutan mo pala yun atty jong...

:lol:

Just finished a Sandy Koufax biography.

Amazing man, even more amazing ballplayer.

Of course, with all the pain-killers that he was taking then, he'd probably fail today's drug tests. :lol:

' love the Beatles comparison! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! :lol:

Except that they came up with excellent albums as well in the late 60's; Sgt Peppers and the White Album come to mind.