fMLB Full Count 10

bubuy

Bill James = father of "new-jack" sabermetrics

he's been with the Sox since 2003.

interestingly enough,

James had previously published several analyses of the use of the closer in baseball, and had concluded that the traditional use of the closer both overrated the abilities of that individual, and used him in suboptimal circumstances.

HAH!

LOL!

Edited by gift_of_game

Pick/s plus SP?

On the contrary, I think a lot of the fringe closers will be dropped. Same goes with a lot of middle-tier SPs.

Obvious ba na batter-heavy ang Keep 10 ko. He he.

ajb ... what do you have in mind for soria?

just putting this out there ... im projecting a drought in the closer position in the filler draft ...

intriguing...

“There was no mention of the Yankees, but we felt all along that they were going to get the last call,” Henry wrote Tuesday night in an email to the Associated Press. “That’s what you deal with in working with Scott.”

Said Boras: “I’m only going to say this. Mark did not take his best financial offer, in dollars and years.”

LOL!

Edited by gift_of_game
Report: Dodgers offer Hoffman one-year deal

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have offered Trevor Hoffman a one-year contract.

The offer "exceeds $4 million," according to the report. You can be sure the Brewers will attempt to beat or match the deal, but some in the baseball industry believe Hoffman would prefer to remain on the West Coast. The Southern California native has a wife and three young children. Jan. 7 - 8:23 am et

Trevor Hoffman

SI.com's Jon Heyman said free agent Trevor Hoffman is talking to the Dodgers as well as the Brewers.

Hoffman would make sense for either team, though the Brewers have the greater need. It doesn't appear as though the Cardinals or Tigers are considering him. A return to the Padres might be a possibility with new ownership coming, but it looks like Hoffman will sign elsewhere first.

eto ajb, only a 3rd rd pick. he may not be as flashy as the others but when it comes to effectiveness and job security eh hindi naman magpapatalo.. :)

im pretty sure i posted somewhere tex did give the yanks a discount..

that statement by boras, it seems like he's supremely dissatisfied.. onga naman, maliit ang commission.. :upside:

might be on another thread bro, didn't catch that one though it did seem like the Sox were on to something even as Henry started bluffing...that Boras was trying to weasel out a 10-year deal from them was expected (dude will always raise the stakes) that's why it's sort of surprising that it didn't push through as planned and the Yanks scooped Tex up out of the blue.

looking back at it now, it does make sense for Scott to put Tex in Boston and maybe, that was his preference all along (I do remember saying someplace else that maybe NY was preferred but nah...knowing the details now, it just doesn't stick).

Boras probably wanted to get back at them for cutting Manny and Tek loose.

after all, burdening them with another huge contract would keep the team on his good graces and he stays relevant in their affairs for another full decade or so, unless of course Tex fires him and asks his cute wife to run the show.

anyway, I just hope the slugger starts slugging now that he's found himself a new home.

^i have to agree. there maybe only 5 to 6 closers worth of K10 status:

nathan, papelbon, rivera, k-rod, soria, lidge

of course the 14 teams would most likely at least keep 1, that should leave a lot of space for the annual closer carousel..

the reason why a team would most likely to keep one, is if it might lose in the annual closer carousel.

at least you saved yourself one if you faltered or didnt sneak one.

tsaka kung let's say, ginawang K-7 ito.. wala na talagang closers to be kept.

for sure, you can get a legit closer the very next round. Keeper-legit na yun.

now I know na parang "nagpapatawa" ka lang when you put a closer on the block..

(unless that team doesnt have one and needs one)

si consig ang naiiba eh.. yung roster nya pro-"arm" naman.

pero at least, his team has a lot of good bats..

it's more than that really.

kung keep 7 man yan, if you have a top 5 closer on hand, it still makes sense to keep him.

iba pa rin yung sure thing eh i.e. a veteran closer in a good situation/competing ballclub.

Papelbon is still worth his weight in fantasy gold.

the gap between the prime time and the second tier closers makes it worthwhile.

(of course, once upon a time, Putz was on the cusp of joining the elite...)

syempre, since marami din namang malalaglag, mas madali ring i-fill yung position needs once the filler draft rolls along.

and just in case magbago man yung strategy mo, mas madali namang ibenta yung signature/franchise-type closer diba?

(in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.)

in keeping players, it's all about value, however which way you want to define value---upside, "name" recognition or actual performance.

im not even big on closers.... i just keep a couple to make me competitive in that cat... but somehow or the other during the season closers tend to get more valuable and more teams are starting to field a closer by committee strategy, im happy with what i have now .. and my view with bats is, any given day theres always somebody whos hotter ( not necessarilly better ) than my players ... what with hitting and most other hitting cats coming in streaks, if i watch the WW and other sources closely im pretty sure i can predict whos getting hot ( a talent snitchy has ) .... i can chance a pickup or two

Nahihilo na ako sa mga possibilities. All I know is that I need a topnotch closer and Im willing to give picks/farmboys/roster boys in return. Offer na lang kayo, wag nyo na samahan ng iba pang player coz puno na ang K10 ko, unless the player you will add is K10-material.

Jong, is your offer still on the table (2nd-rounder, Brignac and swap of picks in first round of FA pick)? Remove Brignac and you have a deal.

Bubs, pass po ako kay Hoffman.