Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

anything John Grisham

Paulo Coehlo's By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, The Alchemist, and Eleven Minutes

Dave Pelzer's A Child Called "IT" and The Lost Boy

Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson,MD

Alistair MacLean ......... The Way to Dusty Death, Guns of Navarone, When 8 Bells Toll, etc

A.A.Fair (Erle Stanley Gardner writing as) ....... His P.I. series of Donald Lam

Louise Cooper ...... SciFi - Time Master Trilogy

Steven Brust ........ SciFi - Teckla, Jhereg, Yendi, etc

Simon Green ........ Scifi - The John Taylor series (Something from the Darkside, see my comments in books recommended)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anybody read The Unbearable Lightness of Being? Is it me? or the book is just boring? Ive read more interesting philosophy textbooks.

Yeah, I agree... or maybe its just the way it was translated...

MY fave author would be ORSON SCOTT CARD and SALINGER...

As for books, well, the one that comes to my mind now is POISONWOOD BIBLE by barbara kingsolver..

I have to agree that Unberable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera) is dragging at several parts of the story.

AKo kasi mainipin. Hehehe. It failed to sustain the phase that it started with the early chapters. It is not exactly a page turner. It took me two days to finish the book. Which was bad for me, considering that it's just about three hundred pages or so.

If it was a good book, I couldn't have put down the book. Hehehe. Yabang!

It poses the question, "What then shall we choose, burden or lightness?"

Although the book has merits too, undeniably. Opening pa lang, yung Nietzsche's "myth of eternal return" nag-iisip na ako. Hehehe. Something that you don't do to me, make me think. He also has references to "" the profound moral perversity of a world that rests essentially on the nonexistence of return" .

It attempts to explain what adult love is (with the complexities of sex, etc) and how it could coexist wih the indidual's free will.

I like the author's more. I like Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things (love story, politics and caste system during the post Nehru periods in India). Her writing is more fluid than than that of Salman Rushdie. The love scenes, the playfulness of her words, the harshness of Indian caste system and the colours of living in impoverished and humid province in India makes you want to take a bath after reading each chapter since the words just jump out of each written page.

I like Rushdie too for his The Moor's Last Sigh (read the part where his parents made wild/hot sex in the chili or pepper factory or warehouse). Make you want to eat lots of curry and make love to a hot sweaty Indian woman which you would not normally think about).

Try to look for Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Horse Trader's Daughter where he likens the dark pool or lake to that of human love. My favorite short story would have to be The Bread of Salt by N.V.M. Gonzales whom I had the opportunity to study under back in UP. The story makes you recall vivid memories of youth, the insecurities and the genuineness of young love. Eventhough one grew up in the city, one can still mirror the innocence and purity of his story.

Umberto Eco -

Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park, havana bay; galing ni col. Arcady Renko

Nick Joaquin -

Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan series

Frederick Forsyth - Icon: about sa Russia, Dogs of War: about attempted coup set in diamond rich country, Day of the Jackal: Galing ni Carlos, attempted assasination kay Charles De Gaul, the movie was banned by Ferdinand Marcos in the 70's.

Leon Uris - Exodus: about the formation of the nation of Israel; forgot the title another novel regarding a revolt of the jews against the nazi in a jewish ghetto in Poland. They were able to hold for a month.

i'm such a big fan of milan kundera, especially "the unbearable lightness of being". it's my fave book of all time. :)

gustong-gusto ko yung characters, buhay na buhay, 3-dimensional. it's nonlinear, sa gitna pa lang, alam mo na yung ending. pero the way kundera closed the story was really disturbing, in a good way, that is.

you may also want to check out chuck palahniuk (fight club, diary, etc) and haruki murakami, guys.

sa mga classic, "great expectations" by charles dickens & "madame bovary" by gustave flaubert. these two tackles the social differences and one's desire to go up the social ladder.

if you want something sociopolitical, you may try "1982" by george orwell. yep, dito kinuha yung "big brother". political siya pero hindi masakit sa ulo, madali lang i-digest. saka yung plot, punung-puno ng tension.

if you want something cool, neil gaiman's books are the best read. :)

kung gusto nyong sumakit ang ulo nyo, basahin nyo yung mga books ni fyodor dostoevsky saka ni ayn rand. t*ang*na, di ako tumagal sa mga books nila! whew!

I have to agree that Unberable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera) is dragging at several parts of the story.

AKo kasi mainipin.  Hehehe.  It failed to sustain the phase that it started with the early chapters.  It is not exactly a page turner.  It took me two days to finish the book.  Which was bad for me, considering that it's just about three hundred pages or so.

If it was a good book, I couldn't have put down the book.  Hehehe.  Yabang!

It poses the question, "What then shall we choose, burden or lightness?"

Although the book has merits too, undeniably.  Opening pa lang, yung Nietzsche's "myth of eternal return" nag-iisip na ako.  Hehehe.  Something that you don't do to me, make me think.  He also has references to "" the profound moral perversity of a world that rests essentially on the nonexistence of return" .

It attempts to explain what adult love is (with the complexities of sex, etc) and how it could coexist wih the indidual's free will.

i'm sure,maraming guys na makaka-relate kay tomas, isa sa lead characters. hehe. si tomas yung tipong kayang believes na love and sex are worlds apart. one could have sex without falling in love. siya rin yung taong takot sa commitment associated with sexual and romantic acts. ibinuko ni kundera yung mga kalalakihan. hehehe

i'm such a big fan of milan kundera, especially "the unbearable lightness of being". it's my fave book of all time.  :)

gustong-gusto ko yung characters, buhay na buhay, 3-dimensional. it's nonlinear, sa gitna pa lang, alam mo na yung ending. pero the way kundera closed the story was really disturbing, in a good way, that is.

you may also want to check out chuck palahniuk (fight club, diary, etc) and haruki murakami, guys.

sa mga classic, "great expectations" by charles dickens & "madame bovary" by gustave flaubert. these two tackles the social differences and one's desire to go up the social ladder.

if you want something sociopolitical, you may try "1982" by george orwell. yep, dito kinuha yung "big brother". political siya pero hindi masakit sa ulo, madali lang i-digest. saka yung plot, punung-puno ng tension.

if you want something cool, neil gaiman's books are the best read. :)

kung gusto nyong sumakit ang ulo nyo, basahin nyo yung mga books ni fyodor dostoevsky saka ni ayn rand. t*ang*na, di ako tumagal sa mga books nila! whew!

Panalo sila Murakami at Palahniuk. :cool:

Recommend ko rin si Raymond Carver at Luis Katigbak.