• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Mini Laptops

It is really a good laptop but only limited for surfing, office clerical work (typing, etc.) and playing multi-media. Anything else and you would be disappointed with this machine (lack of storage size, lack of speed - although it appears fast because of its solid state HD). I am totally against attaching external devices on a laptop. Kasi it defeats the purpose of the laptop (being small and handy) if you have to attach an external device to it.

Being a power user, I was immediately turned off by this laptop. IMO lang naman.

does the webcam work for YM? does it have YM install, as I understand that this unit comes pre-installed with linux?

You have to install YM. Yes, the webcam does work with YM. But remember you only have 4G of harddisk space. So you really can't install much applications otherwise you will fast run out of harddisk space.

There is an 8Gig model but it is not available here.

wala nang ibang brand na ganito yung size..

@koopahl - sir grabe po pala yung 8GB model 28.5K, shet ang mahal. aside sa form factor, ang nagpasikat sa EEE PC eh yung price nya. Eversince kasi, sa subnotebook or laptops, the smaller the gadget gets, the higher the price. Mura na yung 20K down kasi pwede nga mag-internet, edit nang documents and pwede din dalhin sa presentations tapos pwede ba sa work lalo na kung Linux/Unix sys ad ka kasi shell at browser lang naman kelangan.

The point is, kung 28.5K yung 8GB, hindi na lang. Dagdag ka na lang nang 6 siguro may laptop ka nang maganda. EEE PC is FORM Factor + Price. Di pwede mawala yun isa.

Btw, sa April they will be releasing a Intel Memrom Based EEE PC, tapos fanless(meaning mas tatagal battery life kasi wala nang moving fan) kaya mas tahimik lalo. At, madalas na tanong kung may lalabas na 10" screen na EEE PC, WAla PO. Kasi it beats the purpose of a subnotebook. Remember, Form Factor + Price ang selling point nang EEE PC. badtrip pinagkakakitaan tayo nang mga computer shops. mura lang ito sa states eh. mahal na sa EEE PC ang $500 eh ang palitan nang piso ngayon sabihin na natin eh 42 pesos...badtrip.

There are no other brands of the same size and specs (solid state harddisk and all).

The closest would be the UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs). Qube sells one at 34T+ full 40gig harddisk (hindi alanganin like the Asus Eee na 4 Gig or 8Gig lang). Other major brands like Sony Viao also has a UMPCs (this I like pero sobrang mahal!!!!), priced at around 100T+ pero full laptop specs and speed na din.

I would like to consider Asus Eee as a big PDA not a small laptop. Again, IMO lang.

Guest Leviticus
You have to install YM. Yes, the webcam does work with YM. But remember you only have 4G of harddisk space. So you really can't install much applications otherwise you will fast run out of harddisk space.

There is an 8Gig model but it is not available here.

really? linux-YM now works for the webcam? my gf is in dubai and I am convincing her to get a laptop para mastipid kaysa overseas call.. tutal libre wifi sa building na tinitirahan nya.

any info would be appreciated.. bagay na bagay kasi sa kanya ang asus eee na eto since for browsing and chat lang ang gamit nya, and syempre gusto ko rin makita siya via webcam

Edited by Leviticus

Actually there's a new contender up against the Asus Eee. Its name is Cloudbook and it boasts the same price range and size, but comes with a 30GB Hard Disk. It's also made by a Taiwanese company called Everex.

It is said to also sport a faster processor and uses Linux Ubuntu as the OS.

Actually there's a new contender up against the Asus Eee. Its name is Cloudbook and it boasts the same price range and size, but comes with a 30GB Hard Disk. It's also made by a Taiwanese company called Everex.

It is said to also sport a faster processor and uses Linux Ubuntu as the OS.

But you've got to agree that you can trust the brand Asus whereas the brand Everex doesn't inspire confidence.

But you've got to agree that you can trust the brand Asus whereas the brand Everex doesn't inspire confidence.

I can't say. Pero, from what I've been noticing these computer manufacturers basically outsource the same factories anyways. Or at least get parts from overlapping suppliers. We'll see, though...

Really?!?! blink.gif

Argh. Magpabili na lang kaya ako sa mga kilala ko sa Taiwan? tongue.gif

If you know someone from there, yeah. Ang laki ng difference from 12,750 sa 18,000, eh. And the 8GB version is widely available there din, I think.