Engine Oil - All About It

Just follow your manufacture's manual regarding sa oil engine nyo siguro naman walng magiging problema sa manual kasi sasabihin kung ano ang tamang oil grade nararapat sa engine nyo since mainit sa pinas hanap kayo ng oil grade na mataas ang tolerance sa init usually synthetic mataas ang oil grade, mainit man or malamig ang panahon.

They say synthetic is more cost efficient because you need to change your oil less often. But with the dust in the environment, even if you're driving in the city, it would be wiser to use regular oil and change oil often, which redounds to better maintenance for your vehicles . Mineral oil for me, more cost efficient

Hi peeps. Can anyone give me advise on this.

I have a Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D. It is now due for 25,000km PMS. I wanted to bring it to casa as I usually do but medyo napapaisip din ako sa gastos. My fort is 2 years old and it still has 1 year warranty. If i have my oil changed sa casa, syempre hindi mavovoid ang warranty. pag sa gas station or sa Rapide, mas mura pero pag may mangyari sa makina, void na ang warranty.

Toyota will charge 5,900 as against Rapide's 3,600. Both will replace oil filter and will use fully synthetic oil. Toyota uses toyota oil (i heard na caltex daw na specially formulated ang gamit nila) while Rapide uses a brand from korea. Ang maganda sa toyota and rapide, they will check your vehicle's performance din like engine noise, mga ball joints and under chassis problems, belts, etc. Sa shell and other gas stations, hindi sila masyadong nagchecheck and kung ano lang ang obvious na sira, yun lang ang nadedetect nila. I'm sure also sa shell and other gas stations mas mura pa ng konti compared to Rapide ang oil change. I asked toyota if i can bring in my own oil (planning to use Mobil1 or Motul) pero i will be asked to sign a waiver daw kasi void ang warranty.

Now I am trying to weigh my options. I wanted to save a few thousands but I am afraid of losing my 1 year warranty left. Although maingat and maalaga naman ako sa sasakyan, hindi pa rin sigurado kung may mangyayari sa makina ko na masama.

I'm thinking, maybe I can buy Mobil1 or Motul and original toyota filter and go to rapide then have my oil changed there. Para dun ay ma check na din nila ang performance ng sasakyan ko. Ingat na lang para the next 12 months ay hindi kumatok makina ko nang walang warranty.

Thanks. Any advise will be highly appreciated. :)

I have a Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D. It is now due for 25,000km PMS. I wanted to bring it to casa as I usually do but medyo napapaisip din ako sa gastos. My fort is 2 years old and it still has 1 year warranty. If i have my oil changed sa casa, syempre hindi mavovoid ang warranty. pag sa gas station or sa Rapide, mas mura pero pag may mangyari sa makina, void na ang warranty.

Toyota will charge 5,900 as against Rapide's 3,600. Both will replace oil filter and will use fully synthetic oil. Toyota uses toyota oil (i heard na caltex daw na specially formulated ang gamit nila) while Rapide uses a brand from korea. Ang maganda sa toyota and rapide, they will check your vehicle's performance din like engine noise, mga ball joints and under chassis problems, belts, etc. Sa shell and other gas stations, hindi sila masyadong nagchecheck and kung ano lang ang obvious na sira, yun lang ang nadedetect nila. I'm sure also sa shell and other gas stations mas mura pa ng konti compared to Rapide ang oil change. I asked toyota if i can bring in my own oil (planning to use Mobil1 or Motul) pero i will be asked to sign a waiver daw kasi void ang warranty.

Now I am trying to weigh my options. I wanted to save a few thousands but I am afraid of losing my 1 year warranty left. Although maingat and maalaga naman ako sa sasakyan, hindi pa rin sigurado kung may mangyayari sa makina ko na masama.

I'm thinking, maybe I can buy Mobil1 or Motul and original toyota filter and go to rapide then have my oil changed there. Para dun ay ma check na din nila ang performance ng sasakyan ko. Ingat na lang para the next 12 months ay hindi kumatok makina ko nang walang warranty.

Casa na lang ako if i were you.. sayang din yung 1 year warranty ko, yung Vios ko sariling oil ang dala ko, wala naman akong pinirmahan sa toyota makati na ma void ang warranty ko, note lang nila sa PMS booklet na owner supplied oil.. ayaw ko rin sa Rapide.. Marami akong narinig na masamang feedback sa kanila....

Best scenario is to bring your own oil to the CASA. Just make sure that both the Viscosity and API rating of the oil you supply meets or exceeds the oil specified in your manual, AND that it's a genuine product bought from a reputable source.

Fact: If the oil you supplied meets or exceeds the minimum oil specs, then manufacturer's should honor the warranty. If the engine failure is lube related, the engine manufacturer has burden of proof that the oil is the cause of failure.

Fact: The normal oil used by Toyota CASA has a very low API rating compared to the ones you can buy in the market. Label of the Toyota oils state that it's only CF4. There are oils with far better formulations out there that are CI4+. So long as these oils are genuine and bought from reputable sources (there are fake ones out there), they will give your engine better protection that the lower quality oils used by the CASA.

By the way, it is not true that you automatically void your warranty if you bring your own oil. The waiver you sign on simply states that you supply your own oil and that you take the risk and responsibility that the oil meets the oil specified in the warranty. But if you know what you're doing, you don't have to fear.

The "warranty void" scare is a standard lines that they CASA people are required to say by their management so that they will be able to meet their sales targets.

Other than brand, the key characteristics in choosing oil:

Viscosity Grade

Normally 15W-40, 20W - 50,

API Rating - At least SG for gasoline, At least CF4 for Diesels

As for me, I use:

Conoco Power D Semi synthetic - for my Diesels

Viscosity grade: 15W-40

API Rating: CI-4 +

Bardahl SynPulsar - for my newer gas engines

Viscosity grade: 5W-50

API Rating: SM

Bardahl Pulsar J 20W-50 - for my older gas engines

Viscosity grade: 20W-50

API Rating: SJ

Edited by cbr600rr
  • 1 month later...
Best scenario is to bring your own oil to the CASA. Just make sure that both the Viscosity and API rating of the oil you supply meets or exceeds the oil specified in your manual, AND that it's a genuine product bought from a reputable source.

Fact: If the oil you supplied meets or exceeds the minimum oil specs, then manufacturer's should honor the warranty. If the engine failure is lube related, the engine manufacturer has burden of proof that the oil is the cause of failure.

Fact: The normal oil used by Toyota CASA has a very low API rating compared to the ones you can buy in the market. Label of the Toyota oils state that it's only CF4. There are oils with far better formulations out there that are CI4+. So long as these oils are genuine and bought from reputable sources (there are fake ones out there), they will give your engine better protection that the lower quality oils used by the CASA.

By the way, it is not true that you automatically void your warranty if you bring your own oil. The waiver you sign on simply states that you supply your own oil and that you take the risk and responsibility that the oil meets the oil specified in the warranty. But if you know what you're doing, you don't have to fear.

The "warranty void" scare is a standard lines that they CASA people are required to say by their management so that they will be able to meet their sales targets.

100% true. The only way to tell any engine oil's performance is by testing the used oil for wear metals. These are basically the worn down parts of your engine. A higher wear metal ppm means the lube isn't performing well and engine wear is accelerated. Problem is, I don't know of any commercial places in the Philippines you can take your car to get your oil tested. Its best to use trusted genuine brands from reputable dealers. In addition to what cbr600rr said, you can use any API rated oil that meets or exceeds the specs in your manual except those that are strictly (only) CG-4. Sulfur content of diesel in the Philippines is too high for CG-4.

Oh, and use genuine filters or the high end ones with good filtration. Low end filters available at your local auto supply look the same but fail to filter out the smaller particles.

• 5 weeks later...
How much are the fully synthetic oils now? I just had my oil changed in Honda, and they charged P2,200 for 4 liters of fully synthetic "Honda" oil (oil grade specs weren't given, though). Is this price comparable?

tama lang ang price since its genuine.. ung m0bil na full synthetic 4ltrs is 2,6k or 2,8k..