Collector's Items

shyboy

hi guys! i used to collect basketball cards and x-men comics way back in college. collecting cards, especially if youre concentrating on a player can be a hit or miss thing. i used to collect penny hardaway cards (rookie, regular and inserts) when he was back in orlando. sad to say, he wasnt able to live up to expectations coz of his injury and everything. as far as comics, the most valuable (i think) that i have would be the fatal attractions crossover within the x-men comics. its when magneto pulls out the adamantium out of wolverine's body. i also have the 300th issue of amazing spiderman.

hi guys! i used to collect basketball cards and x-men comics way back in college. collecting cards, especially if youre concentrating on a player can be a hit or miss thing. i used to collect penny hardaway cards (rookie, regular and inserts) when he was back in orlando. sad to say, he wasnt able to live up to expectations coz of his injury and everything. as far as comics, the most valuable (i think) that i have would be the fatal attractions crossover within the x-men comics. its when magneto pulls out the adamantium out of wolverine's body. i also have the 300th issue of amazing spiderman.

I enlarged the font size of the your statement bb77.. Why? Its the most true fact that every collector in the sports card hobby should realize.. Penny Hardaway is one of the players whose cards were sooo huge before but just fizzled like nothing when he came out waaaaay short of his hype.. In other words, parang sugal yan or stocks..

To name a few, Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse, Harold Miner, Darius Miles, Lamar Odom.. these players' cards before skyrocketed but due to injuries, sub-par performances night-in and night-out.. collectors just lost interest in them..

There are still Penny, GH33 collectors out there.. But sobrang kakaunti na lang nila.. A lot of collectors either gave up the cards, tinambak sa isang tabi or just plain sold their collection at a lower price.. I collected Dajuan Wagner rookies before.. Diyosko hanggang ngayon injured si Wagner.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Yun nga lang autographed cards of these players are still sought after.. especially the players who rarely sign.. example are Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway.. Grant Hill's autographics (series 1) still books very high in e-bay.. Why the phenomenon you ask? Its because of the fact that there are many autograph seekers out there.. who want to get their hands on a player that had a significant time in the hobby or in the league.. (like yours truly..)

Just to share you some of my experiences.. I was lucky enough that since the time I started collecting.. (late 1994).. I never had a certain player to my liking.. So I did not collect Hills or Hardaways or Shaqs.. But at one point, while opening packs I got lucky in finding a jersey card of Tim Duncan (Press Pass Jersey that sold for USD250 at that time).. Then pack per pack after that I got hard to find Tim Duncan inserts.. A friend of mine told me to start collecting Duncan.. So, I said to myself.. Bakit nga ba hindi..

People/collectors at that time were questioning my choice.. Keith Van Horn and Ron Mercer were better hobby players coz they don't play the F/C slot.. He won ROY but still they questioned his hobby impact.. Then championships, MVPs came.. no one questions the stability of Tim Duncan now.. No one collects TD coz mahirap dahil rare na ang mga cards niya.. so mahirap at mahal.. But I have most of them already.. Some I bought for 50Php to P150.00 before and now they can be had for 2000 pesos..

Tim Duncan has established himself as a future HOFer.. Van Horn and Mercer? Where are they now.. their cards are nothing now compared to the arguably the most fundamentally skilled player in the L right now.. Na-tsambahan ko yung player.. swerte naman!!! :thumbsupsmiley: Same with Manu Ginobili.. I had his rookie cards at a cheap price before and now they are skyrocketing.. swertihan talaga.. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by revi
Sir Revi would it be possible na mag times 10 yung mga ordinary cards nila Jordan in the next 20 -10 yrs????

I had a Diecut na parang oblong at v pinagsama

Another die cut na mdyo square shape tapos my half oblong sa may ilalim.

Alin man sa dalawa yung nging Jordan ko.

Malay natin.. Syempre may chance dre.. But right now, they way I see it.. Jordan's cards have reached the pinnacle of their peak.. Why? Coz he is not playing.. Yung rookie card niya sa Fleer at yung XRC niya sa Star ang volatile ang prices.. But yung mga inserts, commons, and jersey/autographed cards.. I think matatagalan kapag gumalaw ang prices nila sa Beckett..

Mukhang SPX yung die-cut mo ah.. If I am not mistaken nasa USD20.00 yun - kung regular card.. If that's the SPX card that's during the time of Kobe's rookie season.. Kung yun namang isa.. parang yung time nina Garnett yun na SPX.. Kung inserts sila.. hindi ko masasabi kasi pare-parehong die-cuts ang regular cards and inserts.. But if they are inserts nasa USD 50 to 80 siguro..

Ako rin nagcocollect ng mga NBA cards during mga late grade school days......

If I remembered it right........

Pinakamahal ko yata na card is Kevin Garnett's Topps Finest Rookie Card

Anyone know how much it costs today?

Topps Finest ata yung mga protector na parang plastic sticker dba?

Edited by Steel17
Ako rin nagcocollect ng mga NBA cards during mga late grade school days......

If I remembered it right........

Pinakamahal ko yata na card is Kevin Garnett's Topps Finest Rookie Card

Anyone know how much it costs today?

Topps Finest ata yung mga protector na parang plastic sticker dba?

USD70.00.. Still has lots of potential if KG will get out of Minny and go to a better team that can win him a ring.. Or if Minny gets help for KG to make a good run in the playoffs once again..

Meron ako niyan dude.. I bought it nung nasa USD40.00 lang siya.. It went to as high as USD80.00 before when KG was named the MVP of the L.. but stabilized in the USD70 range..

anyone interested in buying or helping my sell my basketball card collection? got a whole booklet full of jordan, rodman, and some damon stoudamire. meron din konting shaq, grant hill, etc.

gusto ko na ibenta, sumasagap lang ng alikabok dito sa bahay e. problema lang hindi ko alam mga prices. shempre gusto ko rin pag binenta ko yung hindi naman ako lugi. anyone willing to help out? :)

anyone interested in buying or helping my sell my basketball card collection? got a whole booklet full of jordan, rodman, and some damon stoudamire. meron din konting shaq, grant hill, etc.

gusto ko na ibenta, sumasagap lang ng alikabok dito sa bahay e. problema lang hindi ko alam mga prices. shempre gusto ko rin pag binenta ko yung hindi naman ako lugi. anyone willing to help out?  :)

hey Dodong_79, nice for you to drop by this thread.. Dre, I am still elbowing in the Jordan thread.. :)

Well, it really depends on your collection.. kung inserts ang mga ito.. Jordan still sells at a premium.. kaso kung regular cards lang.. Hindi na.. Kaya nga minsan.. lugi ka kapag hindi premium cards ang hawak mo..

The money cards nowadays are really the autographed, jersey cards and hard to find rookie cards..

Ano ba ang mga yan? Commons, inserts, rookie cards? Back read ka a little bit dre.. Para malaman mo yung mga pinag-usapan namain ni andrean.. But if you really want to find out about the prices of your cards.. try buying the Beckett Basketball Card Monthly sa Courtside, Megamall and Galleria available yan.. ;)

Good pm naman..

Just wanna share that the Upper Deck Exquisite Basketball Set is coming..(this mid June - for those who are interested).. This is the USD699.00 per box of basketball cards.. Yup, you read it right approximately Php35K.. Kasing mahal na ng isang high-end na cellphone ang halaga ng isang box nito.. It contains only 1 pack of 5 cards.. If you're asking who is crazy enough to buy these in the Philippines.. I am telling you na meron.. He reportedly opened 30M Pesos++ worth of Exquisite Basketball last year.. Meron ding mga pailan-ilan who opens around 1M - 5M.. And they say we are living in a third world country.. sheesh! Grabe!!! ;)

Ser Revi tama ba yan

1million to 5 million?????

Yup, dre.. You read it right Php1-5M for some.. but one opens Php30M for UD Exquisite alone.. That's the "whoa!" of the Basketball card hobby in the Philippines nowadays.. Gone were the days that people open half boxes for Php800.00 or open packs to get inserts..

Me, I rely on e-bay for most of my cards.. And also I rely on the person who opens cases of cards (the Php30M dude) like most of my fellow hobbyists.. That person is our savior.. coz if he was not around.. cards would be selling top the shelf.. That person, if you wanna know, sells his cards cheap.. around 1USD is to 20-30PHP lang.. around Php50M yata ang si-ni-spend niya to open packs/boxes/cases in one hobby season (a year)..

Once, he opened 2 cases of UD Ultimate Collection in Courtside, Galleria (which is rare - he orders boxes/cases from the States usually) worth Php140K.. He was able to get a 3 color Duncan patch.. One pack is worth 6,500.00.. He sold it to me for Php1K only.. He knows I am into Duncan and was generous enough to give a poor soul a TD Card he cherished, hehehe! Actually, this guy is a friend of mine (but not too close).. He has shops all over Ortigas/Greenhills where he distributes his cards but the top notch cards he sells only on e-bay!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

The pic posted below is a Kobe Topps Chrome Rookie Card and is selling at 225USD now.. This card reached the 300 Dollar mark below but fell drastically when Kobe had that rape case.. An example of a player's card getting down if the player's off-court antics makes the demand of his cards to go down..

Now, that Kobe had an 81 point performance.. and almost led LA against the Suns.. this card is now smoking.. BTW, I have this card in my RC collection too.. Got it for 6K when it was valued at USD300.00..

post-75683-1149585638.jpg

Just won this in e-bay for 3,100PHP.. approximately 57USD.. Medyo mataas.. Got pissed kasi coz I lost in the Allen Iverson autograph with just a dollar in difference.. So I did not care kung mataas ko nakuha itong card na ito..

Still, this card is #d to 25.. and contains jerseys of 5 Spurs players who won last year's championship.. and is numbered to Robert Horry's jersey number.. Still, sweet eh.. Here are the pics..

post-75683-1149656586.jpg

Luffet mo talaga !!

nice cards revi! nice choice of collecting tim duncan cards. all my penny cards are now somewhere in my storage cabinet. he he he!

Thanks dudes..

Well, (if you back read) my collection of Tim Duncan was not a stroke of genius but more of luck.. After he won the rookie of the year, I never expected him to win even a single championship.. But I did expect great things to happen to him after his rookie season.. When everybody was going after Keith Van Horn and Ron Mercer cards.. I was looking at Duncan stuff na.. so since 1997 pa ako nangongolekta ng Duncan..

Yun nga lang sa internet (e-bay) ang hirap lumaban sa mga Duncan collectors.. Madami na.. after winning three championships.. and a sure shoe-in sa HOF.. Kaya nag-ja-jack-up ang prices ng mga rare cards niya.. esp. the autographed ones.. Very hard to come by.. and the demand is so great..

I am attaching to this post a pic of a similar card that I have.. that came from Topps Luxury Box.. Its a Quad Jersey card of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili and Horry.. My card that is similar from this pic is #d to 193.. and I bought it for Php1K lang.. Not too rare but a nice addition to my growing collection..

post-75683-1149745913.jpg

Kudos to Revi! Apparently, he has done well in collecting and investing basketball cards. I've been unlucky in investing on cards. I used to have truckloads of Penny Hardaway cards (back in the 90s). Those cards are totally worthless now (while Penny is cashing in on a 15 Million dollar pay check this year!). I also speculated on Shareef Abdur-Rahim. I bought Rahim rookie cards for about 5 pesos to 10 pesos only back in the 90s. I thought he was going to be a huge 20-10 guy with tremendous value on collector's items. This guy was rock solid on the court -- but not on the collector's market. I think the only collections I have now which have some solid worth are my MJ cards, Shaquille cards and Kobe cards. The others have gone bust.

Revi -- what's your take on KG cards? Still on the way up or time to sell? :)