• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Coolest Decade To Live In?

The row of stores between Maranaw Arcade and Rizal theater - which included Bookmark, Metrophil Drug Store, Happy Feet (Birkenstocks), Pancake House (2nd branch) - is now that side of the Landmark building which faces The Link (Ansons).

The site of the present 6750 office tower used to be Ansons Auto Shop and Rustan's Duty Free Shop.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6030/5983919748_cee139e65b.jpg

I imagine that the present day Landmark occupies what used to be Maranao AND that row of stores which included Bookmark, Metrophil, Pancake House, etc. The Link now occupies what used to be part of the open parking lot between Rizal Theater and that row of stores. I also now just noticed the old Quad building.

Yeah I'm likewise getting very nostalgic about those days. Thanks for posting this great photo Muttley. If I ever come across any old photos of Makati, I'll be sure to share these as well.

Edited by Bugatti Veyron

The row of stores between Maranaw Arcade and Rizal theater - which included Bookmark, Metrophil Drug Store, Happy Feet (Birkenstocks), Pancake House (2nd branch) - is now that side of the Landmark building which faces The Link (Ansons).

The site of the present 6750 office tower used to be Ansons Auto Shop and Rustan's Duty Free Shop.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6030/5983919748_cee139e65b.jpg

Yes, the Makati Garden Club. The building I'm referring to is the tall building across the Urdaneta Apartments. At the top left of the picture.

I barely remember the Maranao Arcade. What I remember most is the area where Glorietta 4 is now. The landmark that is etched in my memory is the Kimpura restaurant which is now part of Glorietta 4. SM has always been there as far as I can remember. There used to be a Tesoro's, which is in the same arcade of Kimpura.

The tall building (top left) is the Urdaneta Apartments. The smaller one next to it is the site of the Twin Towers (see my comment below).

The Hotel Intercontinental Manila in 1969.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8udmo5OjM1qc0anwo1_500.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the mid rise condominium to the right of Intercon is the Gilarmi Apartments. Of course, the Ritz and Twin Towers weren't even a speck in the eye of their developers. The location of the two posh high rise condominiums would be that big square space beside Gilarmi. Tuscany wasn't yet built. Tuscany was built in the early 70s.

Its not the Gilarmi because its the site of the Twin Towers. I cannot recall the name of that building which previously stood on that site. The Gilarmi is the one nearest to Rizal Theater.

Edited by muttley

Mid-80s ang taon ng ako’y nakatapos sa kolehiyo. Hindi ako nahihiya na banggitin ang aking edad. Naniniwala ako sa kasabihang "kalabaw lang ang tumatanda". Inaamin ko'ng nag-enjoy ako sa panahong hindi pa talo ng mga cable shows ang mga tv stations, hindi pa naaadik ang mga kabataan sa mga online games, uso pa ang patintero, luksong tinik, taguan at marami pang mga bagay. Wala pang Starbucks kaya’t mura lang ang kape kina Aling Binay sa karinderia. Wala pang text, email, at www (world wide web) kung kaya’t ang ligawan ay dalisay at spontaneous. Maigsi pa ang shorts pang-basketbol (ala-Jaworski) at pangit at outcast kung ituring ang mga skinhead at naka-white side wall na gupit. Mga scribbled love notes, hated-sundo sa bahay ng dyowa, atbp… Kayo ba’y laking 80s?

1. Pogi ka kung kasama sa porma mo ang SperryTopsiders, K-Swiss, Espadrilles (na pinilahan mo pa sa Whistle Stop o sa Cash and Carry), Tretorn or Dragonfly sneakers, white Spartan sneakers, argyle socks, woven leather belts, Chaser, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren at iba pa, one-size-fits-all Hanes T-shirt with the print of your favorite New Wave band, pabangong Chaps, Bowling Green , Gray Flannel or Kouros, Denman brushes, Dippity Do or Dep hair gel, Bermuda shorts worn with plaid long-sleeves.

2. Macho ka kung ang porma mo ay parang kay Don Johnson ng Miami Vice at kung naglalaro ka ng football o nag-aaral ka ng t** kwon do or marunong mag butterfly kick tulad ni Ralph Macchio sa Karate Kid. Sobrang macho ka kung may pandesal ka sa tiyan habang nakasuot ng hanging shirt.

3. Pretty ka kung meron kang pencil-cut skirt (calf-length, three to four inches above the ankle), pabangong Nenuco o De Ne Nes, permed hair a la Madonna or teased bangs na pinatigas ng Aquanet, shoulder pads ala Joan Collin a.k.a. Alexis Carrington in Dynasty), Benetton shirt, Esprit outfit at namimili ka ng gamit sa Sari-Sari, Tokyo Hannah,Tickles and Regina 's in Shoppesville.

4. In na in ka kung napuntahan mo ang mga concerts nina Mike Francis, Swing Out Sisters, Menudo, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Ingram, Genesis, Spandau Ballet, Christopher Cross, at Duran Duran noong unang punta pa lang nila dito sa Pilipinas.

5. Sosyal ka kung malimit ka sa Jazz Rhythm & Booze at kumakain ka sa Cafe Ysabel, Bistro Burgos, Dean Street Cafe, Angelino's and East St. Lois, Cosmo and Kudo's at nag-babakasyon ka sa Matabungkay Beach Club o Baguio Country Club.

6. Wala pang videoke kundi karaoke.

7. Mga preso lang ang may tattoo.

8. Akala mo'y magkakatuluyan sina Ate Shena at Kuya Bodjie.

9. Ang intindi mo ng LOL ay ULOL imbes na Laughing Out Loud.

10. Na-tsismis na bulati ang beef patty ng Jollibee at pusa ang sangkap sa siopao ng Ma Mon Luk.

11. Kinilig ka nang malaman mong ikakasal sina Pops at si Martin. Si Sharon ang nanligaw kay Goma dahil nabuking sa beeper messages from Pocketbell na may administrator

12. Piso lang ang isang basong taho at kailangan mong magdala ng sarili mong baso kasi wala pang plastic cups no'n si manong magtataho.

13. Lechon Manok pa ang pinag lilihihan ng taumbayan.

14. Tarzan, Jojo, Bazooka Joe, Clover bits at Tootsie Roll ang pinagkakagastusan mo ng mga beintesinko mo.

15. Nagkakakalyo ka dahil typewriter pa ang ginagamit mo para sa mga school paper mo...kaya bentang-benta pa ang carbon paper at liquid paper.

16. Sa Ortigas Center ka tinuturuang magmaneho kasi puro talahib pa yon no'n.

17. Cool ang bumati sa iyong crush sa FM radio.

18. May mascot pa ang 99.5 RT na binebenta sa Gift Gate.

19. Baduy pa noon si Lea Salonga dahil sa That's Entertainment pa siya.

20. Iniisip mong dapat mag-retire na si Jaworski dahil kuwarenta na siya.

21. Egoy na egoy pa si Michael Jackson.

22. Si Harry Gasser at Angelo Castro pa ang newscaster ng bayan. Kay Amado Pineda ka lang naniniwala pag ukol sa panahon ang balita.

23. Sintonado pa ang Eraserheads habang nag-ja-jamming sa Club Dredd.

24. Tinuruan kang mag-toning ng iyong nanay dahil kay Johnny Midnite. Naglalagay ka ng pyramid sa tabi ng iyong unan para good vibes.

25. Nilalagyan mo ng watch-guard ang iyong Swatch.

26. P18 to $1 ang palitan sa black market.

27. May live band pa sa Shakey’s

28. May black market pa noon.

29. Illegal pa ang mga paputok.

30. Ang paborito mong tsokolate ay Chocnut at Mallows.

31. Drag race sa Greenhills at Corinthians

32. Kumain sa Burger Machine o sa Goodaahh ng madaling araw.

33. Dalawang piso lang at Chippy at solong Coke.

34. Wala pang FHM. Imported Playboy Magazine pa lang na padala ng mga kamag-anak o tiyuhing manyak na nasa Tate.

35. Crispa vs. Toyota at Lakers at Celtics ang rivalry sa basketbol.

Idagdag ko lang ang mga biglaang pagsulputan ng mga sentai gaya na lamang ng maskman, ganun na rin si shaider, machine man, turbo rangers, jetman, fiveman atbp. Pero pinakasikat ang Voltes V.

Kung alam mo ang karamihan sa mga yan, malamang, isa ka ring batang 80s.

With all due respect but the Urdaneta Apartments is not that high. It's just a mid rise condominium.

The Twin Towers is beside the Gilarmi Apartments. Tuscany is beside Gilarmi. Tuscany is the nearest condominium to Rizal Theater.

You were the one who wanted to know the name of the taller building. So I was simply answering your question earlier. With all due respect, I maintain that the taller building in the colored pic is the Urdaneta Apartments. Same height sila ng Intercon. I'm 100% sure because I pass by there EVERYDAY.

As for the Makati Tuscany, it wasn't built at the time the B&W photo I posted was taken. That's the Gilarmi. I'm 100% sure. The design of the Gilarmi's sides are the giveaway. Here's another closer pic of the Gilarmi:

http://heart-2-heart-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/old-rustans-makati-01.jpg

The one with the Toyota signage is the Gilarmi. The Makati Tuscany is the taller building to the left. The Ritz Towers (to the right of the Gilarmi) wasn't built yet at the time this photo was taken. You can even see the old Kimpura to the left of the photo (Lising Arcade).

The sequence of buildings of what is known as "Apartment Row" (Ayala Avenue) from EDSA to Makati Ave. are:

1. Makati Garden Club

2. Recoletos Street (street)

3. Urdaneta Apartments

4. Apartment Ridge (street)

5. Twin Towers

6. Pacific Plaza

7. Ritz Towers

8. Gilarmi (now Discovery Primea)

9. Makati Tuscany

10. Fonda Street (street)

11. The Peninsula Hotel

Edited by muttley

@muttley

Ok. Point taken but if the taller building on the colored picture is the Urdaneta Apartments, then what was the shorter building on the colored picture? The color of the Urdaneta Apartments now is predominantly white so that's why I assumed the shorter building on the colored picture is the Urdaneta Apartments. wink.gif

Unlike Urdaneta Apartments, the shorter building is square-shaped and with fewer floors. The shorter building appears to be built on the lot that was later developed as Twin Towers. I can't recall the name anymore of this shorter building.

And before I forget, the only remaining undeveloped lot along the Ayala Avenue side of Apartment Ridge is the lot between Gilarmi (now Discovery Primea) and Ritz Towers, presently used as staging site for the Discovery Primea construction.

Mid-80s ang taon ng ako'y nakatapos sa kolehiyo. Hindi ako nahihiya na banggitin ang aking edad. Naniniwala ako sa kasabihang "kalabaw lang ang tumatanda". Inaamin ko'ng nag-enjoy ako sa panahong hindi pa talo ng mga cable shows ang mga tv stations, hindi pa naaadik ang mga kabataan sa mga online games, uso pa ang patintero, luksong tinik, taguan at marami pang mga bagay. Wala pang Starbucks kaya't mura lang ang kape kina Aling Binay sa karinderia. Wala pang text, email, at www (world wide web) kung kaya't ang ligawan ay dalisay at spontaneous. Maigsi pa ang shorts pang-basketbol (ala-Jaworski) at pangit at outcast kung ituring ang mga skinhead at naka-white side wall na gupit. Mga scribbled love notes, hated-sundo sa bahay ng dyowa, atbp… Kayo ba'y laking 80s?

1. Pogi ka kung kasama sa porma mo ang SperryTopsiders, K-Swiss, Espadrilles (na pinilahan mo pa sa Whistle Stop o sa Cash and Carry), Tretorn or Dragonfly sneakers, white Spartan sneakers, argyle socks, woven leather belts, Chaser, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren at iba pa, one-size-fits-all Hanes T-shirt with the print of your favorite New Wave band, pabangong Chaps, Bowling Green , Gray Flannel or Kouros, Denman brushes, Dippity Do or Dep hair gel, Bermuda shorts worn with plaid long-sleeves.

2. Macho ka kung ang porma mo ay parang kay Don Johnson ng Miami Vice at kung naglalaro ka ng football o nag-aaral ka ng t** kwon do or marunong mag butterfly kick tulad ni Ralph Macchio sa Karate Kid. Sobrang macho ka kung may pandesal ka sa tiyan habang nakasuot ng hanging shirt.

3. Pretty ka kung meron kang pencil-cut skirt (calf-length, three to four inches above the ankle), pabangong Nenuco o De Ne Nes, permed hair a la Madonna or teased bangs na pinatigas ng Aquanet, shoulder pads ala Joan Collin a.k.a. Alexis Carrington in Dynasty), Benetton shirt, Esprit outfit at namimili ka ng gamit sa Sari-Sari, Tokyo Hannah,Tickles and Regina 's in Shoppesville.

4. In na in ka kung napuntahan mo ang mga concerts nina Mike Francis, Swing Out Sisters, Menudo, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Ingram, Genesis, Spandau Ballet, Christopher Cross, at Duran Duran noong unang punta pa lang nila dito sa Pilipinas.

5. Sosyal ka kung malimit ka sa Jazz Rhythm & Booze at kumakain ka sa Cafe Ysabel, Bistro Burgos, Dean Street Cafe, Angelino's and East St. Lois, Cosmo and Kudo's at nag-babakasyon ka sa Matabungkay Beach Club o Baguio Country Club.

6. Wala pang videoke kundi karaoke.

7. Mga preso lang ang may tattoo.

8. Akala mo'y magkakatuluyan sina Ate Shena at Kuya Bodjie.

9. Ang intindi mo ng LOL ay ULOL imbes na Laughing Out Loud.

10. Na-tsismis na bulati ang beef patty ng Jollibee at pusa ang sangkap sa siopao ng Ma Mon Luk.

11. Kinilig ka nang malaman mong ikakasal sina Pops at si Martin. Si Sharon ang nanligaw kay Goma dahil nabuking sa beeper messages from Pocketbell na may administrator

12. Piso lang ang isang basong taho at kailangan mong magdala ng sarili mong baso kasi wala pang plastic cups no'n si manong magtataho.

13. Lechon Manok pa ang pinag lilihihan ng taumbayan.

14. Tarzan, Jojo, Bazooka Joe, Clover bits at Tootsie Roll ang pinagkakagastusan mo ng mga beintesinko mo.

15. Nagkakakalyo ka dahil typewriter pa ang ginagamit mo para sa mga school paper mo...kaya bentang-benta pa ang carbon paper at liquid paper.

16. Sa Ortigas Center ka tinuturuang magmaneho kasi puro talahib pa yon no'n.

17. Cool ang bumati sa iyong crush sa FM radio.

18. May mascot pa ang 99.5 RT na binebenta sa Gift Gate.

19. Baduy pa noon si Lea Salonga dahil sa That's Entertainment pa siya.

20. Iniisip mong dapat mag-retire na si Jaworski dahil kuwarenta na siya.

21. Egoy na egoy pa si Michael Jackson.

22. Si Harry Gasser at Angelo Castro pa ang newscaster ng bayan. Kay Amado Pineda ka lang naniniwala pag ukol sa panahon ang balita.

23. Sintonado pa ang Eraserheads habang nag-ja-jamming sa Club Dredd.

24. Tinuruan kang mag-toning ng iyong nanay dahil kay Johnny Midnite. Naglalagay ka ng pyramid sa tabi ng iyong unan para good vibes.

25. Nilalagyan mo ng watch-guard ang iyong Swatch.

26. P18 to $1 ang palitan sa black market.

27. May live band pa sa Shakey's

28. May black market pa noon.

29. Illegal pa ang mga paputok.

30. Ang paborito mong tsokolate ay Chocnut at Mallows.

31. Drag race sa Greenhills at Corinthians

32. Kumain sa Burger Machine o sa Goodaahh ng madaling araw.

33. Dalawang piso lang at Chippy at solong Coke.

34. Wala pang FHM. Imported Playboy Magazine pa lang na padala ng mga kamag-anak o tiyuhing manyak na nasa Tate.

35. Crispa vs. Toyota at Lakers at Celtics ang rivalry sa basketbol.

Idagdag ko lang ang mga biglaang pagsulputan ng mga sentai gaya na lamang ng maskman, ganun na rin si shaider, machine man, turbo rangers, jetman, fiveman atbp. Pero pinakasikat ang Voltes V.

Kung alam mo ang karamihan sa mga yan, malamang, isa ka ring batang 80s.

Very nice recollection of the 80's sir artedpro. Nice to remember all these little bits of trivia.

@muttley

Correct me if I'm wrong but the area in front of Kimpura was one big parking lot.

Sir Muttley, if you'll allow me to answer this one....Kimpura used to be located where the old Makati Supermarket used to be. Makati Supermarket faced Manarao and like I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a parking lot that stood between Makati Supermarket and Maranao. So present-day Landmark occupies what used to be the parking lot separating Makati Supermarket and Maranao and extends all the way to those stores fronting the old Rizal Theater (eg. Bookmark, Pancake House, Metrophil, etc. ) Sir Muttley if you think somehow my memory of the place is erroneous, please feel free to correct me. I'd really appreciate it. If you confirm it, then sir Nick Fury will have his answer.

Sir Muttley, if you'll allow me to answer this one....Kimpura used to be located where the old Makati Supermarket used to be. Makati Supermarket faced Manarao and like I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a parking lot that stood between Makati Supermarket and Maranao. So present-day Landmark occupies what used to be the parking lot separating Makati Supermarket and Maranao and extends all the way to those stores fronting the old Rizal Theater (eg. Bookmark, Pancake House, Metrophil, etc. ) Sir Muttley if you think somehow my memory of the place is erroneous, please feel free to correct me. I'd really appreciate it. If you confirm it, then sir Nick Fury will have his answer.

I can only recall (and the previous picture is proof of that) was that the open parking lot faced the Pasay Road side, across Makati Supermarket's side entrance (towards the bigger Ansons building). Maranaw arcade (now Landmark) faced the supermarket's main entrance. Beside Maranaw (towards Ayala Ave.) were the bowling center with the barber shop, Ayala Arcade (Bookmark, etc.), another open parking lot, Rizal Theater and finally the smaller arcade (original Alemars site).

As for Kimpura, my best recollection was that before its current Greenbelt 5 site, it had three previous sites in Makati:

1. The original site was in Lising Arcade (now Glorietta 4 and Rustan's extension) which was next to Rustans and it shared the same open parking lot with Syvel's and Angela Arcade (see previous picture).

2. Later, a smaller outlet named Kimpura Garden was put up at the old Fastfood Center building which was across the side entrance of Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel). The old Fastfood Center and the Makati Rotary building next to it later became the expanded portion of SM Makati. When the old Fastfood Center closed down, so did this Kimpura Garden. The space at the original Kimpura in Lising Arcade was expanded during the late 80s.

3. During the 90s, Lising and Angela arcades were to be torn down to give way to Glorietta 4. Kimpura transferred to the second floor of renovated Makati Supermarket (by that time, the supermarket had closed down and moved to Alabang) sharing space in the second floor with Peking Garden. The most of the Makati Supermarket building's ground floor was integrated with Glorietta 3. They remained here until the tragic Glorietta 3 explosion. Years later, they resumed business in Makati at the present site (Greenbelt 5).

That's the best recollection from my feeble memory and the help of old pictures.

Edited by muttley

Thanks Bugatti but, with all due respect, I was asking for confirmation from muttley if the area facing Kimpura in the picture he posted was a big parking lot. If I'm not mistaken. there was a Tesoro's in Lising Arcade.smile.gif

Makati Supermarket is where Greenbelt 3 is now. smile.gif

The original Kimpura was in Lising Arcade (see left part of picture) and faced the open carpark it shared with neighboring Angela Arcade (which is further left of the photo, had the shot been expanded). That portion became the front of Glorietta 4.

http://heart-2-heart-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/old-rustans-makati-01.jpg

The Makati Supermarket building was located in Glorietta 2, the site of the 2007 explosion. (Erratum: In my previous post, I mistakenly typed Glorietta 3 when it should be Glorietta 2.) The only former supermaket in the original Greenbelt was United Supermarket.

Tesoro's - My best recollection was that Tesoro's used to be in the back portion of the Makati Rotary building (facing original structure of the current SM Makati - see note below). Makati Rotary building was beside the old Fastfood Center (both were facing the soon-to-be-demolished Park Square 1 and Manila Garden Hotel [now Dusit Thani Hotel]) and it had Tesoro's, Cindy's Hamburger and the Makati Post Office among its tenants. As I posted earlier, the Makati Rotary building and the old Fastfood Center later become part of SM Makati's main building.

Note: It should also be noted that first site of SM Makati was across the Rustan's Duty Free Shop and Rizal Theater. The current site is its second site.

[/size]

How many arcades were there in the Makati Commercial Center during the pre-Glorietta days? I was aware of Quad, Goldcrest, and Lising Arcade since we used to frequent those places. Angela Arcade is the arcade across Maranao Arcade, right? Goldcrest was in front of a Sanrio Shop.

Anson's used to have a Christmas display and people went there at night to park and watch the display.

Pre-Glorietta days, there were numerous arcades in Makati Commercial Center (the original name of Ayala Center). Originally, Glorietta was just the open plaza behind the original Quad.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq38upImt31r1decao1_500.jpg

This later became the central hub of Glorietta 1-4.

http://www.ditona-beach.net/spencer/images/manila/makati_mall.jpg

Glorietta 1 - Originally known as The Quad. This picture shows the first front entrance of the old Quad. The open parking became Park Square 1.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/georgerev/Quad74.jpg

Glorietta 2 - Part of the Makati Supermarket building. First known as Quad II, later renamed Glorietta 2. Beside Glorietta 2 (towards Pasay Road) was Goldcrest building.

Glorietta 3 - The picture shows the original structure Poulex Department Store (later Fairmart/Plaza Fair) before it was redeveloped into The North Mall in 1981. The foreground (left) was Mercury Drug and (right) Automat Center (later becoming the first site of Jade Garden). The North Mall would house the first McDonald's Makati, the second Alemar's bookstore, Cinderella, relocated Mercury Drug. The North Mall was later redeveloped into Glorietta 3 during the 1990s.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/986080101_6f88dbbea6.jpg

Another old icon which was folded into Glorietta 3 was Sulo Restaurant, which was beside Makati Supermarket. This is currently the Glorietta entrance facing Landmark.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/nostalgiamanila/places/sulo_restaurant60s.jpg

Glorietta 4 - The entire front part of Glorietta 4 consisted of the old Lising Arcade, Syvel's/Max Chicken and Angela Arcade. Lising Arcade (now Rustan's extension up to Heaven and Eggs), Syvel's/Max (G4 main entrance) and Angela Arcade (Ascott Hotel/Tony Roma's up to Outback).

The other arcades in the old MCC were:

1. Pasay Road (Makati Ave. to EDSA):

a. West Drive Arcade (now Fairmont/Raffles hotel) which housed Erewhon bookstore, Philippine Education Company (later Pilipinas Nissan showroon), Jazzie boutique, Big 20.

b. Anson's (soon to be Park Terraces) where the Christmas display was staged.

c. The first site of The Plaza (which later transferred over to Greenbelt).

d. Showroom Arcade (furniture shops)

e. Kowloon House Restaurant

f. Park Square 1 (Quad Amusement Center)

g. Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel)

2. Makati Ave. (Pasay Road to Ayala Ave.):

a. West Drive Arcade

b. Maranaw Arcade

c. Bowling Center with barber shop

d. Ayala Arcade

e. Rizal Theater

f. The first site of Alemar's bookstore

3. Ayala Ave. (Makati Ave. to EDSA):

a. The first site of Alemar's bookstore

b. Anson's Auto Shop #1 (now 6750 Tower)

c. Rustan's Duty Free (now 6750 Tower)

d. The first site of SM Makati (in front of Rustan's Duty Free) and adjacent to it was Automat Center (now Gold's Gym)

e. ___ Arcade (between the Rustan's Duty Free and Rustan's Makati; now the steel carpark)

f. Rustan's Makati

g. Hotel Intercontinental

h. Carpark

As for Sanrio Gift Gate, I think the original store was in Park Square 1. Where it moved after that, I cannot recall anymore because I'm not a Sanrio customer.

Edited by muttley

Glorietta 4 front row (from Rustan's towards SM Makati) used to be Lising Arcade, Bricktown and Angela Arcade.

Inside Bricktown were Syvel's, Funhouse (joke novelty shop), the first Greenwich Pizza shop (actually, a counter) and the first Makati site of Max's Chicken.

And speaking of Max Chicken:

1. First Makati site was inside Bricktown. When Bricktown was torn down to give way to Glorietta 4, it moved to the site previously occupied by the Showroom Arcade (near Pasay Road, across Park Square 1) where it remained until it was torn down a few years ago. There's a Max's inside the New Glorietta 1/2 now.

2. The second Makati site was over at Greenbelt beside La Tasca. It later moved to Greenbelt 1 where it remains today (beside Dulcinea), when the old La Tasca and Schwarzwalder buildings were torn down to give way to the present site of Ayala Museum and Greenbelt 4/5.

Edited by muttley

I can only recall (and the previous picture is proof of that) was that the open parking lot faced the Pasay Road side, across Makati Supermarket's side entrance (towards the bigger Ansons building). Maranaw arcade (now Landmark) faced the supermarket's main entrance. Beside Maranaw (towards Ayala Ave.) were the bowling center with the barber shop, Ayala Arcade (Bookmark, etc.), another open parking lot, Rizal Theater and finally the smaller arcade (original Alemars site).

As for Kimpura, my best recollection was that before its current Greenbelt 5 site, it had three previous sites in Makati:

1. The original site was in Lising Arcade (now Glorietta 4 and Rustan's extension) which was next to Rustans and it shared the same open parking lot with Syvel's and Angela Arcade (see previous picture).

2. Later, a smaller outlet named Kimpura Garden was put up at the old Fastfood Center building which was across the side entrance of Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel). The old Fastfood Center and the Makati Rotary building next to it later became the expanded portion of SM Makati. When the old Fastfood Center closed down, so did this Kimpura Garden. The space at the original Kimpura in Lising Arcade was expanded during the late 80s.

3. During the 90s, Lising and Angela arcades were to be torn down to give way to Glorietta 4. Kimpura transferred to the second floor of renovated Makati Supermarket (by that time, the supermarket had closed down and moved to Alabang) sharing space in the second floor with Peking Garden. The most of the Makati Supermarket building's ground floor was integrated with Glorietta 3. They remained here until the tragic Glorietta 3 explosion. Years later, they resumed business in Makati at the present site (Greenbelt 5).

That's the best recollection from my feeble memory and the help of old pictures.

Yes most of the things you mentioned here are accurate. The others I simply cannot remember. There indeed was a large open air parking lot outside the side entrance of Makati Supermarket that extended towards Pasay Road. I don't remember if Anson's was already there during the early '70's. This parking lot eventually became Park Square 2.

And just to the side of this parking lot was The Plaza which was located just across the original site of Anson's

That smaller arcade behind Rizal theater housed Alemars, D'Bankers (barber shop), an appliance store (Automatic??) among others.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center. I wonder what Makati Commercial Center will look like 30 years from now...