The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

re-posting from DOA movie thread, with a few (gramatical and spelling) edits

okay, here goes... by the way... some spoiler warning here... but who cares about the plot (downloading fighter's moves to the main villain's brain... selling the download program in the black market and all that crap sounds familiar??) its the babes that you pay to see here...! (although, backstory plots for the main babes are there as well... kasumi's search for her brother, tina's "struggle" to prove she isnt a fake, and christie stealing the prize money)

well, i must admit, i watched the movie, expecting that i spent 120 pesos for nothing, and well, i enjoyed the movie... somewhat

to start off, at least it not pretending that there's a bad guy out for world domination plot like street fighter was

its a fighting movie based on a fighting game... subplots may very well be ignored, pretty shallow... but the best fighting game storyline captured by a movie is still mortal kombat 1 (IMHO)

i was gonna give it like 2 out of 10... but im gonna give it 7 out of 10. surprised? three major reasons:

1. beach volleyball scene

2. rainy day bikini fight scene

3. topless takedown-of-government-agents scene

yah yah, you might say im shallow because of the above reasons, but that is merely because i left the expectations of a good thought provoking storyline out of the cinema. when you watch this movie, dont think. just watch, enjoy the view!

it could have been better if they extended the above mentioned scenes a bit longer, say 30 mins each? hehehehe

other reasons why i enjoyed it

1. Sarah carter (helena) and holly valance (christie) butt shots... hehehehe

2. jamie pressly (tina armstrong) beating kevin nash (bass armstrong)

3. sarah carter's cute smile

4. holly valance's sexy smile

5. jamie pressly and holly valance in a bed together

6. holly valance

7. oh, yah, i may have forgotten to mention sarah carter (remember her? from an episode in smallville...)

its fun to see the characters come to life, however, most of the plot is full of loopholes... whatever happened to the other fighters? i thought Gen Fu won? ... the layout of the DOA island, why the hell must sirens blare in the underground caves when the main villain starts to run the program? wouldnt you want that to be kept secret? how come friendships are so easily built? facts in the games are ignored (Ayane and Hayate arent lovers in the game, also ayane and kasumi are supposed to be half sisters)

fight scenes are reminiscent of kung fu movies... like the bamboo fight scene and the fight between hayate and donovan. best fight scene: helena vs christie, in bikinis sokaing wet in the rain... damn.... my brain just replayed it again for the Nth time

oh yah, not devon aoki's best work... no emotion whatsoever.. at least, none that ive felt... i though that she was just going thru the motions of the fight moves and just saying her lines

funny thing... i just noticed towads the end of the movie that the lead pirate who attacked jamie pressly, is Liu Kang (or more appropriately, the actor robin shou who played Liu Kang) in the Mortal Kombat movies... thats why he looked familiar... almost missed it

anyway, bottom line, if you wanna relax, want a non-thinking movie, watch it. nothing beats butt-shots of holly valance and sarah carter in big screen. just leave your wits and your expectations for the moment at the cinema lobby, and dont forget to get them back when you exit...

its not ground breaking or anything, storylines may be ignored, but i did have fun!!!

-----------------------------------

stuff that you may or may not want to know about the film

- robin shou (mortal kombat's Liu kang) plays the pirate leader

- collin chou (hayate) you may remember him from matrix movies as seraph, the oracle's martial artist guardian

- sarah carter (helena) was in several smallville episodes as Alicia, the girl who could teleport, knew of clark's abilities, eloped with clark, showd chloe clark's abilities

- movie was released here in the Philippines early, US will be screening it Oct 20

- wrestler Bass Armstrong (tina's father) is played by kevin nash, real life pro-wrestler, once known as diesel in WWE

- natassia Malthe (Ayane) you may remember (or not...) as Typhoid in Elektra (jen gardner... bad movie...IMHO)

in photo, L to R:

Kasumi (devon Aoki), Christie (Holly Valance), Helena (Sarah Carter), Tina (jamie pressly), Ayane ( natassia malthe)

note: this is a pic from the movie trailer-teaser, tina armstrong is a wrestler and does not use the sword, and ayane (in the movie) isnt even in the DOA competition)

post-7326-1159158636.jpg

Edited by marc.alan

Watched DOA also a few weeks ago.. great.. this is an MTC-themed movie..

a great non-brainer film as was stated by marc.alan but all with high-explosive martial arts action!

I give it an 8 out of 10 for good action scenes without a plot or dumb story..

but nevertheless it is still great knowing all those babes on the movie..

although Devon Aoki is a face without an impression she still rocks...

re-posting from DOA movie thread, with a few (gramatical and spelling) edits

okay, here goes... by the way... some spoiler warning here... but who cares about the plot (downloading fighter's moves to the main villain's brain... selling the download program in the black market and all that crap sounds familiar??) its the babes that you pay to see here...! (although, backstory plots for the main babes are there as well... kasumi's search for her brother, tina's "struggle" to prove she isnt a fake, and christie stealing the prize money)

well, i must admit, i watched the movie, expecting that i spent 120 pesos for nothing, and well, i enjoyed the movie... somewhat

to start off, at least it not pretending that there's a bad guy out for world domination plot like street fighter was

its a fighting movie based on a fighting game... subplots may very well be ignored, pretty shallow... but the best fighting game storyline captured by a movie is still mortal kombat 1 (IMHO)

i was gonna give it like 2 out of 10... but im gonna give it 7 out of 10. surprised? three major reasons:

1. beach volleyball scene

2. rainy day bikini fight scene

3. topless takedown-of-government-agents scene

yah yah, you might say im shallow because of the above reasons, but that is merely because i left the expectations of a good thought provoking storyline out of the cinema. when you watch this movie, dont think. just watch, enjoy the view!

it could have been better if they extended the above mentioned scenes a bit longer, say 30 mins each? hehehehe

other reasons why i enjoyed it

1. Sarah carter (helena) and holly valance (christie) butt shots... hehehehe

2. jamie pressly (tina armstrong) beating kevin nash (bass armstrong)

3. sarah carter's cute smile

4. holly valance's sexy smile

5. jamie pressly and holly valance in a bed together

6. holly valance

7. oh, yah, i may have forgotten to mention sarah carter (remember her? from an episode in smallville...)

its fun to see the characters come to life, however, most of the plot is full of loopholes... whatever happened to the other fighters? i thought Gen Fu won? ... the layout of the DOA island, why the hell must sirens blare in the underground caves when the main villain starts to run the program? wouldnt you want that to be kept secret? how come friendships are so easily built? facts in the games are ignored (Ayane and Hayate arent lovers in the game, also ayane and kasumi are supposed to be half sisters)

fight scenes are reminiscent of kung fu movies... like the bamboo fight scene and the fight between hayate and donovan. best fight scene: helena vs christie, in bikinis sokaing wet in the rain... damn.... my brain just replayed it again for the Nth time

oh yah, not devon aoki's best work... no emotion whatsoever.. at least, none that ive felt... i though that she was just going thru the motions of the fight moves and just saying her lines

funny thing... i just noticed towads the end of the movie that the lead pirate who attacked jamie pressly, is Liu Kang (or more appropriately, the actor robin shou who played Liu Kang) in the Mortal Kombat movies... thats why he looked familiar... almost missed it

anyway, bottom line, if you wanna relax, want a non-thinking movie, watch it. nothing beats butt-shots of holly valance and sarah carter in big screen. just leave your wits and your expectations for the moment at the cinema lobby, and dont forget to get them back when you exit...

its not ground breaking or anything, storylines may be ignored, but i did have fun!!!

-----------------------------------

stuff that you may or may not want to know about the film

- robin shou (mortal kombat's Liu kang) plays the pirate leader

- collin chou (hayate) you may remember him from matrix movies as seraph, the oracle's martial artist guardian

- sarah carter (helena) was in several smallville episodes as Alicia, the girl who could teleport, knew of clark's abilities, eloped with clark, showd chloe clark's abilities

- movie was released here in the Philippines early, US will be screening it Oct 20

- wrestler Bass Armstrong (tina's father) is played by kevin nash, real life pro-wrestler, once known as diesel in WWE

- natassia Malthe (Ayane) you may remember (or not...) as Typhoid in Elektra (jen gardner... bad movie...IMHO)

in photo, L to R:

Kasumi (devon Aoki), Christie (Holly Valance), Helena (Sarah Carter), Tina (jamie pressly), Ayane ( natassia malthe)

note: this is a pic from the movie trailer-teaser, tina armstrong is a wrestler and does not use the sword, and ayane (in the movie) isnt even in the DOA competition)

• 2 weeks later...
guys....watch the DEPARTED...worth your money....

Awesome cast. Great build-up. I was on the edge of my seat for two thirds of the movie... But the "wtf?" ending was a let-down. I left the theater thinking that this could have been an instant crime movie classic if it weren't for that ending.

Awesome cast. Great build-up. I was on the edge of my seat for two thirds of the movie... But the "wtf?" ending was a let-down. I left the theater thinking that this could have been an instant crime movie classic if it weren't for that ending.

pare you should watch the original, infernal affairs hong kong made movie. trilogy to...pero as usual yung una ang pinakamaganda! i hope hindi binago yung original story.

nag lalaway na ako sa movie na ito, mapanood nga mamaya..

pare you should watch the original, infernal affairs hong kong made movie. trilogy to...pero as usual yung una ang pinakamaganda! i hope hindi binago yung original story.

nag lalaway na ako sa movie na ito, mapanood nga mamaya..

Oo nga eh. I was reading a review of this earlier and I found out that it's based on that Asian movie. I don't think they changed the main story a lot, except they made the crime boss' role bigger to accomodate Jack Nicholson.

Watch it dude. Kahit na medyo disappointed ako sa ending, it's still a great movie and hindi sayang P120 mo. :)

I just saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning a few hours ago.

The most brutal of all the "Chainsaw" films, it's a lot better than the stupid remake. It got grisly and graphic in this slaughterhouse. You get sledgehammer beatings several times, head blown off with a shotgun, arms and face skinned, meathook in chest, tongue cut out, broken teeth, throat slit, ran over by car, cut up by chainsaw and many more.

If you want to watch a good old fashion blood and guts horror movie then see TCM the beginning. The Best Movie of 2006. Christmas came early this year!

:evil:

Edited by Nekromantik

The Departed is a good translation of the Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs. The only bit I disliked about the American version is the ending. Unlike the original, the western version opted to just tie up all loose ends in this one movie, which is not bad per se, but it seemed kinda rushed the way they ended this movie.

The HK version spawned both prequel and a sequel, which gave the audience another chance to get inside the head of the characters. Although Jack Nicholson's portrayal in the US version is good, it lacks the depth of the original character in the HK version.

Overall I think it's still a great film.

Ok na din ang flyboys just for the fact that it's one of the rare WW1 dogfight movies out there. It basically follows the typical formula for this genre: a rebellious but talented protagonist, a cute chick for the hero, the token black guy, a 'loser' who turns out to be the savior at the end, and an ace enemy pilot that the hero dispatches in a non-traditional way.

It's worth viewing at least once...

I just saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning a few hours ago.

The most brutal of all the "Chainsaw" films, it's a lot better than the stupid remake. It got grisly and graphic in this slaughterhouse. You get sledgehammer beatings several times, head blown off with a shotgun, arms and face skinned, meathook in chest, tongue cut out, broken teeth, throat slit, ran over by car, cut up by chainsaw and many more.

If you want to watch a good old fashion blood and guts horror movie then see TCM the beginning. The Best Movie of 2006. Christmas came early this year!

:evil:

Nekromantik described the movie as it is. One brutal movie indeed.

Medyo di lang maganda yung pagkakapatay kay Jordana Brewster. Parang nag teleport si Leatherface sa loob nung car.

Nevertheless, a must see movie. :thumbsupsmiley:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

This is where it all started. In this prequel to the remake of the original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", we return to the house where the massacre begins to unfold. A disfigured child is born, thrown in a dumpster, then found and cared for by a psychopathic family. The movie simply answers all the whys and provides you with Leatherface's history. It gives us some interesting insight to the history of our villains and plunges into a terrifying tale of madness and survival. This movie answered a few questions about the Hewitt family from the previous movie, including how Hoyt became a Sheriff and lost his teeth, how Monty looses his legs, why the family are cannibals and how Thomas gains his obsession for his chainsaw and began murdering people.

The violence in this film is extreme, the whole movie was a blood fest. This movie is completely brutal and filled with graphic killing. Easily the most brutal of all the TCM films, this movie is gorier and bloodier. The story is well done, great character development, the actors were all great, and the film was thrilling the entire way through. From start to finish you will be entertained. The movie was far more intense and scary than the remake. It has everything a horror film should have.

R. Lee Ermey gets more screen time in this movie than in the remake, and he was brutal, nasty, mean and sadistic. He motivates Thomas to go from cutting animal meat to cutting human meat. Andrew Bryniarski is fantastic as Leatherface as he was in the 2003 version. Leatherface is much scarier in this movie than in the remake, he acts much more violent in this movie.

The infamous dinner scene also gets recreated in this prequel. There is even a detailed mask making by Leatherface, we finally get to see him making his mask. If you're a fan of the original and 2003 remake of TCM, you'll definitely love this one. This movie has surely lived up to its hype. Be warned, this is not a friendly movie. It's so dark, disturbing, dramatic, and just plain sick, and that's what a horror movie should be. In my opinion, this is the second best in the entire TCM series. The best movie of 2006, so far. Highly recommended!

Rating: 5 out of 5

The Guardian

Starring: Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher

Great movie, even though the ratings were low, it isn't a disappointment..

it's like a combination of Kevin Costner Films+Top Gun story... it's all about the US Coast Guard.... Good plot, good acting by both Costner and Kutcher (though you can anticipate his comedy face) blended with a good story... there is drama, action, romance and comedy in this one.

rating: 4 out of 5....

The Guardian

Starring: Kevin Costner, Ashton Kutcher

Great movie, even though the ratings were low, it isn't a disappointment..

it's like a combination of Kevin Costner Films+Top Gun story... it's all about the US Coast Guard.... Good plot, good acting by both Costner and Kutcher (though you can anticipate his comedy face) blended with a good story... there is drama, action, romance and comedy in this one.

rating: 4 out of 5....

i'm new in this forum. its great what you guys are doing here. now i could watch a movie and won't be dissappointed.

i've been eyeing this movie for a long time i just didn't have a time and watch it myself. but after i saw the review i would watch this movie tonight.

thanks guys for this forum.

i'm new in this forum. its great what you guys are doing here. now i could watch a movie and won't be dissappointed.

i've been eyeing this movie for a long time i just didn't have a time and watch it myself. but after i saw the review i would watch this movie tonight.

thanks guys for this forum.

welcome bro... just keep it coming...

don't forget to put your review also...