The Football Thread

Labuyo

Reds win Cup on penalties

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/design05/DJ/20060508/gerrardtrop_br.jpg

Liverpool have won the FA Cup 3-1 on penalties after an all-time classic final finished 3-3. Bobby Zamora, Paul Konchesky and Anton Ferdinand all missed from the spot for West Ham - who looked certain to be victorious in the match until Steven Gerrard's stunning 91st minute equaliser.

[READ]

dko napanuod ung buong game...extra time lng naabutan ko...ang ganda ng laban...they were down 2-0 and 3-2 but they managed to tie and win sa penalties...reina didnt to the dudek style but they still won in penalties..hayewood couldve scored and let west ham win but di ata sya left footer or un ung pilay na ankle...congrats to the reds...and great game for gerrard...

sayang tlga west ham...

News from ManUtd.com, United are close to signing Diarra for 20-25 million pounds, but Lyon is hinting they are willing to give up the 24-year old Mali midfielder for less if United are willing to exchange Van Nistelrooy for the prized midfielder..

Another rumor surfacing is that Athletico Madrid (am i right? is that the team of Fernando Torres?) are willing to trade Torres for Van Nistelrooy and extra money..

I'd prefer to buy Diarra for the usual price and get Torres for Van Nistelrooy para in the end United ang lamang hehehe...

Report: Why England needs a foreign coach to guide them

Written by: Dave Cohen

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2006/may/13/...h-to-guide-them

The new coach of the England Football Team has already been announced. There had been much speculation in the press about whether England needs a foreign coach to guide them to the next European Championship as well as the World Cup in 2010?

Developments over the past few months tended to suggest that the English FA were desperately keen to sign someone from overseas. Unfortunately The Brazilian Portuguese coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, the one earmarked for the job had withdrawn leaving Steve McClaren the leading contender.

He, Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce, the leading contenders earlier in the race has each been successful in their own way with unfashionable English Premier Teams that completed their campaigns in the upper midway to lower sections of the Premiership table. At some stage both Martin O’Neill and Arsene Wenger were also touted as being contenders.

While the British public may have been clamouring for an overseas coach, would it have been the best solution in the long run? I am not that sure that it would have been. Having said that, it must also be added that the current teams occupying the first five places in the English Premiership are managed by non – Englishmen. This in itself tends to suggest to me that there may be no one in England who was or presently capable of succeeding at the top level.

SVEN-GÖRAN ERIKSSON VS PREVIOUS SUCCESSFUL MANAGERS:

While people may feel a touch of sadness and disappointment that Sven-Göran Eriksson will be vacating his England job after the World Cup and the void that he may be creating, he is only the fourth best in terms of win ratio since the Second World War.

Who then has been the most successful? Rightly so it has to be the late Sir Alf Ramsey who led England to their solitary triumph at World Cup level in England in 1966. Sir Alf sits at a 66% success rate (69 wins from 105 matches), surprisingly Glen Hoddle is second with a success rate of 61% (17 wins from 28 matches), Ron Greenwood is third with 60% (33 wins from 55 matches) and Sven-Göran Eriksson at 59% (35 wins from 59 matches).

ARSENE WENGER VS THE ENGLISH CHALLENGERS:

With the withdrawal of Felipe Luiz Scolari, the leading contender over the past few weeks, and in an effort to sign a foreign coach/manager, Arsene Wenger has had his name mentioned recently. His success at Arsenal speaks for itself and he would no doubt have done a fantastic job.

Steve McClaren, assistant to Eriksson and previously to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United has been well – groomed for the job. This aside, he has had an inconsistent season at Middlesbrough. They have had a fantastic run in Europe, but their local form has been inconsistent for one to suggest that he has what it takes.

Sam Allardyce, one of my favourite Premiership managers may be very good with a team of fighters such as Bolton, but whether he is able to step up to the next level is uncertain.

The shock resignation of Alan Curbishley as the manager of Charlton may have ruled him out. Or was it because he anticipated the announced as the next manager of England? He too has done a fantastic job with a team of fighters. He is also one of the few true gentlemen left in the game.

Do England really need a gentleman at the helm of the English football team? The only other person in the running was Martin O’Neill, one of the more successful managers at the highest level in both England and Scotland. He is Irish though!

THE GROOMING OF AN ENGLAND MANAGER/COACH:

How much has been done over the past few years to actually groom a young local manager for the ultimate in managerial positions? I don’t have the answer to that question, but I would stick my neck out by saying, ‘very little’. One could say that Steve McClaren has, but that could be the only one! Ideally that would be the route that the English FA have to go over the next few years, even if the new coach has unlimited success.

THE IDEAL SITUATION:

When one looks at who is managing which teams at this World Cup, the more fancied teams are coached by coaches who are from that particular country. If there is no one in England suitable for the job, then they must appoint a foreign coach, but this must only be an interim arrangement.

A young Welsh trainer in Mark Hughes mould should be earmarked and trained to take over after the 2010 World Cup. Hughes, in my opinion, is one of the best young managers around. He is impeccably attired for every match that his team play which is an indication of the dedication with which he would do the job. His team tends to play accordingly. One could have in fact employed Hughes. He is as close to being English as anyone could be.

WHERE TO FROM THE WORLD CUP?

A new manager has already been announced. At least the England team can now focus on this year’s World Cup. (In my opinion the timing of this has been absurd to say the least. There has been as much focus on the announcement of the new manager as there has been on the England team for the footballing showpiece of the world!)

One has to give credit where credit is due. Sven-Göran Eriksson, a Swede, has done a fantastically good and dignified job as the England coach and it is feasible that there is a foreigner who can at least equal, if not improve on his success. Now that the new manager has been announced it has to be a matter of priority that is an English coach is standing in the wings ready to take over when the coach’s contract nears completion, or as I’m predicting, terminated before the 2010 World Cup. History does show us that the most successful coaches are those who are from the country of that team.

*Incidently, the manager of Middlesbrough FC, Steve Mclaren, has been named as the successor of Sven Goran Erikkson as England Manager after the World Cup...

Lyon doesn't need VanNistelrooy. What they need is a replacement if they ship out Diarra.

Hey REDSHIRT. How was the tournament last sunday? Who won? I have to go home early cause I have to go to my mom's mother's day celebration. Di maganda laro namin kasi sinabit lang nila ako sa Marikina FC eh. When I left we were 1 - 2 - 1 (W-L-D). He he, we won over you guys nga pala though di maganda yung goal.

I am ashamed of my fave club (JUVENTUS) coz of the scandal they got involved with. Dapat sa kanila maparusahan.

Lyon doesn't need VanNistelrooy.  What they need is a replacement if they ship out Diarra. 

Hey REDSHIRT.  How was the tournament last sunday?  Who won? I have to go home early cause I have to go to my mom's mother's day celebration.  Di maganda laro namin kasi sinabit lang nila ako sa Marikina FC eh.  When I left we were  1 - 2 - 1 (W-L-D).  He he, we won over you guys nga pala though di maganda yung goal.

I am ashamed of my fave club (JUVENTUS) coz of the scandal they got involved with.  Dapat sa kanila maparusahan. 

i dunno Lyon is the one who is willing to give up Diarra for half price plus Van, if they know Diarra will leave why not still get some cash for him and recieve a proven world class striker that can still score goals in top level instead of buying a stiker that will probably just eat most of that Diarra sale. If Lyon get Van they will have 3 world class strikers in Wiltord, Carew & Van not to mention an up & coming player in Fred.

My only doubt with this Diarra is he could turn out to be another Djemba Djemba disaster while Diarra has proven he can play at top level but Djemba was considered the next big African starlet to grace football and his first game in a United shirt against Arsenal in the charity shield proved that but later on he went sour and was then sold. Liam Miller another Keane, what a joke! I can see Diarra either coming into United as a force or a Silvestre...inconsistant in the first few season then holding down a place from then (not to say that Silvestre is the most consistant United player).

If United can get Diarra, Aldo & Riquelme then I will be jumping for joy...I hope Fregie gives Rossi & Pique some chances next year...I really hope Pique wont get sold, has a bright future and hope he wont end up like a Djordic...

Edited by luol_deng

regarding the possibility of van nistelrooy going to lyon... all i can say is that he can fit in their system... wiltord can slip behind and play the wings like what he usually does for france...

what is great about lyon is that they have this inate ability to mold some raw midfield talent into a gem... take the case of michael essien... in addition there are guys who can fill up the hole that diarra will leave like benoit pedretti...

Lyon doesn't need VanNistelrooy.  What they need is a replacement if they ship out Diarra. 

Hey REDSHIRT.  How was the tournament last sunday?  Who won? I have to go home early cause I have to go to my mom's mother's day celebration.  Di maganda laro namin kasi sinabit lang nila ako sa Marikina FC eh.  When I left we were  1 - 2 - 1 (W-L-D).  He he, we won over you guys nga pala though di maganda yung goal.

I am ashamed of my fave club (JUVENTUS) coz of the scandal they got involved with.  Dapat sa kanila maparusahan. 

badtrip hanggang quarter finals lng kami,na knock out kami ng Don Bosco FC,anyways the other guys and i have decided to form a new team. were gonna leave Siam FC to the thailanders. i think ito yung standings namin before advancing to the quarter finals.im not sure coz i stopped keeping track :P

W D L AG (but im not sure,this is just an estimate)

1 3 2 -2

one of the best fa cup finals daw 'yung liverpool-west ham match...

van nistelrooy for diarra?... hmm... h'wag na... free transfer na lang... wala naman na yatang kontrata si van nistelrooy...

i must disagree,the best ever FA Cup final was the 04-05(Ars vs Manu)it reached penalties also.

wherein we lost.i blame the inept goalkeeper Tim Howard i think was his name... :grr:

the only goal i liked during normal time of play was the own goal,i thought they where doomed,but the reds where lucky again!

Tedddy still got it i must say :thumbsupsmiley:

i dunno Lyon is the one who is willing to give up Diarra for half price plus Van, if they know Diarra will leave why not still get some cash for him and recieve a proven world class striker that can still score goals in top level instead of buying a stiker that will probably just eat most of that Diarra sale. If Lyon get Van they will have 3 world class strikers in Wiltord, Carew & Van not to mention an up & coming player in Fred.

My only doubt with this Diarra is he could turn out to be another Djemba Djemba disaster while Diarra has proven he can play at top level but Djemba was considered the next big African starlet to grace football and his first game in a United shirt against Arsenal in the charity shield proved that but later on he went sour and was then sold. Liam Miller another Keane, what a joke! I can see Diarra either coming into United as a force or a Silvestre...inconsistant in the first few season then holding down a place from then (not to say that Silvestre is the most consistant United player).

If United can get Diarra, Aldo & Riquelme then I will be jumping for joy...I hope Fregie gives Rossi & Pique some chances next year...I really hope Pique wont get sold, has a bright future and hope he wont end up like a Djordic...

i think rossi is a great lad. i hope they let go soljakster or whatever his name is,his old and always injured.i hope Riquelme,Diarra,Torres go in. If Rudd leaves we still have Rooney and that french priss. :D

eek... kaya nga sinabi ko "ONE OF THE BEST" eh... :P

man... the best talaga 'yung screamer ni gerrard that tied the game... :cool:

i must disagree,the best ever FA Cup final was the 04-05(Ars vs Manu)it reached penalties also.

wherein we lost.i blame the inept goalkeeper Tim Howard i think was his name... :grr:

the only goal i liked during normal time of play was the own goal,i thought they where doomed,but the reds where lucky again!

no i blame Paul Scholes for that awful direct shot to Lehmann and that was the only goal that was saved throughout the penalties (i think haha)

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/images/jb2/berb412.jpg

Berbatov to join Spurs

Tottenham have agreed a fee of £10.9million with Bayer Leverkusen for striker Dimitar Berbatov. The signing, which was announced on the stock exchange, is subject to a work permit and if the application is successful will see the Bulgaria international become a Tottenham player on July 1.