The Football Thread

Labuyo

halftime thoughts:

-a lot of criticism from the espn commentators for domenech not playing enough youngsters (ave age of france -30). aside from benzema (20), the only young players are ribery (24) and toulalan (24), and he's only there coz viera is injured. i have to disagree though. on big tournaments, you play your best players, no matter the age.

-france is lacking creativity. makelele and toulalan are too defensive. benzema is dropping back to get service, but he's not effective there. it's more like a 4-4-1-1 right now.

-chivu is awfully quiet. i believe he's romania' best player and he was not involved at all.

-mutu has looked dangerous but he dives too much.

-very disappointed in france. can't see them scoring a goal right now. they might have to change their shape, or put in a more offensive center mid. on this performance, france won't get past the group stage.

france 0 romania 0

disappointing. france did not even look close to scoring. they obviously missed henry, but they need a playmaker even more so - there is no more zidane to drive them forward. if domenech insists on playing 2 defensive midfielders, he should move ribery more towards the middle rather on the wing so he can have more influence. benzema's youth is showing - he did not look at all confident. he had a couple of good chances and he scuffed them.

well, hopefully the next match will be better - it's the big one for the first round of matches - italy vs. holland!!

Edited by damaso

oranje with a win against the worldcup champions, italy. 3-0. though i really think RVN was offside with their first goal. clearly it was an offside but the ref still counted it as a goal, and UEFA backs him a day later.

nevertheless, italy didnt show any real threat as they allowed 2 other goals, whilst the holland defense did not show mercy by not allowing any late consolation goal. Holland deserved it, whilst the italian midfield looks messed up.

france and italy are with a poor start.

whilst my team with a good start to the campaign.

any thoughts on RVN's goal? its a hot debate now in the footballing world due to this controversial goal.

it was clearly an offside. RVN above the defensive line on front of goal for the simplest of all tap-ins.

and I wish I was part of the Austrian Squad. "A lifetime's free beer for life to first Austrian scorer"

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...984&cc=4716

NEXT UP: FRANCE! now thats a mouthwatering prospect. best match for me in the group stages.

Edited by duchessXI
oranje with a win against the worldcup champions, italy. 3-0. though i really think RVN was offside with their first goal. clearly it was an offside but the ref still counted it as a goal, and UEFA backs him a day later.

nevertheless, italy didnt show any real threat as they allowed 2 other goals, whilst the holland defense did not show mercy by not allowing any late consolation goal. Holland deserved it, whilst the italian midfield looks messed up.

france and italy are with a poor start.

whilst my team with a good start to the campaign.

any thoughts on RVN's goal? its a hot debate now in the footballing world due to this controversial goal.

it was clearly an offside. RVN above the defensive line on front of goal for the simplest of all tap-ins.

and I wish I was part of the Austrian Squad. "A lifetime's free beer for life to first Austrian scorer"

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...984&cc=4716

NEXT UP: FRANCE! now thats a mouthwatering prospect. best match for me in the group stages.

clearly offside.

but the fourth official explained that panucci (who was lying down 5 yards beyond the end line) was "active" and thus played rvn onside. i don't know about that...

what happened to my other posts? it just disappeared...

spain-russia halftime thoughts:

-after all my tactical discussion, spain goes ahead and changes tactics. accdg to espn, they switched after the usa friendly. they push david villa forward to support torres. and they adopt a much quicker tempo. it's very similar to the "box midfield" made famous by brazil in the 94 world cup.

-silva is preferred over fabregas. i guess its because of the change in tactics.

-"tiki-taka" is so attractive to watch. xavi, iniesta, villa and silva switching positions all over the attacking half. russia is confused on who to mark.

-torres and villa have been brilliant so far.

-russia has had their chances. they've been dangerous exposing the flanks being left open by spain's attacking fullbacks.

-its been a high quality half. very attractive game to watch - even russia's passing is sublime. its the finishing that's been the difference.

spain 4 russia 1

flattering score for spain, i must say. its been an open game and russia had their chances. at the start of the second half, russia started brightly and aragones decided to make a switch: torres was replaced by fabregas - switching back to their old formation and the pace of the game slows down. when david villa scored his hat-trick, he ran straight to the bench to hug torres.

spain was very impressive, particularly in the first half. they do need to toughen up the defense - russia could have scored 3 or 4 if they had luck on their side.

Edited by damaso

you should see the swedish fans. parang espn kept showing the swedish girls more than the game haha...

halftime - portugal 1 czech rep 1

-czechs have come alive. baros is preferred over koller as the lone striker and he's giving portugal problems, running right at them.

-scolari starts with the same eleven. i'm surprised quaresma is still on the bench.

-great first half. very open and end to end. it's been very even - portugal needs to find another gear if they want to pull this out.

portugal passes their first real test with flying colors, and looks like they're the first team to qualify for the knockout stages. a concern though is gk ricardo who flaps at crosses and striker nuno gomes who has been invisible.

and following on duchess' theme:

van der vaart's wife

post-9780-1213207197.jpg

swedish fans

post-9780-1213207243.jpg

post-9780-1213207302.jpg

russian fans

post-9780-1213207329.jpg

turkey 2 switzerland 1

a 92nd minute goal! another pulsating match and the co-hosts are out! all the games in this tournament, except for france-romania, have been cracking. and this one might have been the best so far.

too bad for switzerland, they deserved more. i was impressed by their 19 year old forward, eren derdiyok. turkey's best player, i think, was their gk volkan - made a number of great saves.

**breaking news - scolari is the new chelsea manager. gotta question the timing of the announcement tho...

Edited by damaso
turkey 2 switzerland 1

a 92nd minute goal! another pulsating match and the co-hosts are out! all the games in this tournament, except for france-romania, have been cracking. and this one might have been the best so far.

too bad for switzerland, they deserved more. i was impressed by their 19 year old forward, eren derdiyok.

**breaking news - scolari is the new chelsea manager. gotta question the timing of the announcement tho...

f#&k!

there goes my lunch money!

:cry:

fantastic goal by yakin, though. kobi looks just about ready to cry after turkey's second goal in extra time...

on another note... did you watch that game between spain and russia? that, definitely, was NOT cracking. :lol:

Edited by chipmaker

really? it was a great game, in my opinion. russia had numerous attempts and gave spain a lot of nervous moments...

and not be makontra, pero i thought yakin's goal was funny. the ball stopped on a puddle of water so he could tap in.

head-to-head pala ang tiebreaker for the euros, not goal difference. so portugal has secured top spot in group a. if i were scolari, i won't play deco or cristiano ronaldo. they need the rest (mahirap ang every 4 days) plus baka ma-injure pa.

and not be makontra, pero i thought yakin's goal was funny. the ball stopped on a puddle of water so he could tap in.

yakin's goal wasnt funny, but his face was! did you see that look on his face when the ball stopped in front of him? not unlike an 11 year old who was flashed witless by jessica alba. :lol:

looking forward to germany's game tomorrow, even though they're up against croatia. damn... i shouldve just watched at the fanzone instead of in front of the tv tonight.