The Football Thread

Labuyo

that double save jerzy dudek pulled off shevchenko in the final minute of extra time was probably the best ever sequence by a keeper. i thought there was no way shevchenko was going to be denied. it defied logic. how can that not go in?!

dudek, i forgive u for all your past mistakes! haha

ronaldo has finally been dropped from brazil's national squad. not only is he underperforming for brazil, but now he has the balls to ask to be excused from the confederations cup. he got more than he bargained for, being dropped also from the world cup qualifying squad. i say good riddance!

bring back rivaldo!

lumaki na yata masyado ulo n'ya... at pansin n'yo ba... parang wala na s'ya sa form...

ronaldo has finally been dropped from brazil's national squad. not only is he underperforming for brazil, but now he has the balls to ask to be excused from the confederations cup. he got more than he bargained for, being dropped also from the world cup qualifying squad. i say good riddance!

bring back rivaldo!

yup... he collapsed during cameroon's comfederation's cup match against colombia...

it was a poignant death... cameroon went on to win the match and move to the finals to meet eventual champs france...

is he too old? hindi ba sa confederations cup namatay si marc viven foe ? tama ba spelling hehehe...

bring back rivaldo!

i think that the spanish la liga season drained out too much from him.. he needs his rest.. anyway, there are a lot of other forwards for brazil available like adriano et al..

ronaldo is ronaldo, brazil still needs him in the squad..

lumaki na yata masyado ulo n'ya... at pansin n'yo ba... parang wala na s'ya sa form...

yup wala talaga sya sa form..

is he too old?

di ko lang sure if we can consider him too old.. sa observation ko, football players reach their peak form between 28-32.. observation ko lang.. :)

in other news, i was able to watch the england vs usa international friendly.. obviously, sven goran eriksson is experimenting with his lineup.. i still see the #1 spot as england's weakest link.. david james, paul robinson??? :blink:

sven started with this lineup 4-4-2 :

david james

g. johnson, sol campbell ©, wes brown, a. cole

joe cole, k. richardson, keras, j. pennant

alan smith, andy johnson

i think that come world cup time this is the ideal lineup for england

david james/paul robinson

g. neville, rio ferdinand, john terry, ashely cole

steven gerrard, frank lampard, david beckham ©, joe cole

michael owen, wayne rooney

what's yours? :rolleyes:

who are the favorites to win the confederates cup? ilang nations ba sasali dito? anong format ng tournament na to? group stage then elims or draw then elims lang kagad? sorry kasi i'm not that familiar with this tournament..pano din pla magqualify sa tournament na to?..

poor ronaldo, cocky kasi masyado but he is still a great player, brazil may need his expertise but if he isn't doing his job brazil should pick other younger or unexperienced strikers to get some experience, the brazil squad is full of talent, i'm sure they have lots of great strikers..

bubuy  Jun 2 2005, 12:21 AM 

nice picks for the england squad, i prefer paul robinson to david james because he has been more consistent in the epl..solid back 4 for england, campbell has been put in the reserves due to the solid play of john terry, it used to be sol campbell as the partner for ferdinand in the center back positon..nice midfield as well, good leadership & passing skills but i have some doubts about joe cole's ability to be effective, his play in chelsea sometimes is great but sometimes he can be ineffective & selfish, sino pa ba ang pwedeng alternatives kay joe cole? & if sven prefers him, kamusta naman ang play nya for england? ayos ba or pumapalya pa din paminsan?..good strikers as well in rooney & owen, good reserve strikers in johnson & smith..england has a real chance with this squad to go all the way..

B)

i think that the spanish la liga season drained out too much from him.. he needs his rest.. anyway, there are a lot of other forwards for brazil available like adriano et al..

ronaldo is ronaldo, brazil still needs him in the squad..

yup wala talaga sya sa form..

di ko lang sure if we can consider him too old.. sa observation ko, football players reach their peak form between 28-32.. observation ko lang.. :)

in other news, i was able to watch the england vs usa international friendly.. obviously, sven goran eriksson is experimenting with his lineup.. i still see the #1 spot as england's weakest link.. david james, paul robinson??? :blink:

sven started with this lineup 4-4-2 :

david james

g. johnson, sol campbell ©, wes brown, a. cole

joe cole, k. richardson, keras, j. pennant

alan smith, andy johnson

what's yours? :rolleyes:

I think d best partner for john terry in defense is sol campbell.he plays better than rio.rio is crap. look what happened to man u.they got nothing. though rio is considered as the worlds most expensive defender , lately hes form is not at par with terry or campbell if the latter is not injured

eRon and pedro_sampras.. nice views on the centre back slot for england.. rio and sol have played together so much, they have a better understanding of each other at the heart of the defence, which is impt in international play.. but u can't deny the fact that john terry is so hot right now, anyone of those two could be bumped out of the starting XI..

if sven goes with campbell-terry combo at centre back, they will lose a lot of pace.. rio came out from an 8 month ban, so it is natural that he didnt have a good season for ManU.. so the dilemma now for sven, campbell coming back from injury, rio coming back from a long layoff and terry the hottest commodity at centre right now..

anyway, there is still one more season to fight for slots.. im pretty sure these 3 will make it.. and given their quality, what the heck, i'd choose 2 of these 3 with my eyes closed.. :thumbsupsmiley:

alternatives for joe cole? sven is trying hard to convince paul scholes to return to international competition.. and when you analyze that, it means that england ain't that deep in the midfield.. even the forward slot aint that deep.. only rooney and owen are consistent threats in front of goal..

To all AC Milan Fans:

AC Milan has just signed PSV Eindhoven's Johann Vogel. This guy is one good midfielder. What's up with PSV?! Nagtatapon sila ng mga magagaling na players.

They're also planning on signing Udinese Calcio's Marek Jankulovski and Parma FC's striker, Alberto Gilardino - this guy can be a good backup for Andriy.

Confirmed na ba na babalik sa Chelsea si Crespo? Kasi ang alam ko loaned lang sya eh.

Para naman sa mga ManU fans:

They've signed up Fullham's GK Edwin Van der Sar. I think he's pretty old for the team.

Edited by dj_flip03
alternatives for joe cole? sven is trying hard to convince paul scholes to return to international competition.. and when you analyze that, it means that england ain't that deep in the midfield.. even the forward slot aint that deep.. only rooney and owen are consistent threats in front of goal..

the left midfield role has always been a problem for england. last world cup, they used emile heskey (a natural forward)! owen hargreaves has been disappointing. and paul scholes is really much more of a central player. barring convincing ryan giggs to defect from wales to england, joe cole is the best bet at left mid. he has been improving under mourinho's guidance.

oh, and buti na lang sven stopped using beckham in the middle. he is best suited at the right wing.

the prob with hargreaves is that has not played in england for a long time... and correct me if i'm wrong... hargreaves has yet to play in the epl... so he is not familiar with how his teammates play...

on joe cole... he has vastly improved under mourinho... even if the latter is a jerk... the english offense can be devastating with david beckham playing on the right wing and cole on the left wing... add steven gerrard in the central defensive mid and frank lampard as center mid...

Edited by the_electrified_one

who needs ronaldo?

RIO DE JANEIRO, June 6 (Reuters) - Brazil flourished in Ronaldo's absence and produced one of their best performances since the last World Cup in their 4-1 defeat of Paraguay in Porto Alegre.

Striker Robinho subjected the visitors to his full repertoire of tricks, Ronaldinho and Kaka were in inspired form and midfielder Ze Roberto produced arguably his best display in a Brazil shirt in Sunday's World Cup qualifier.

Brazil, with Adriano and Robinho in attack, passed the ball around more freely and created more chances than they do when Ronaldo is on the field.

Santos forward Robinho showed all the charisma which has brought attention from top European clubs.

He won the second of Brazil's penalties with one of his famous stepovers and capped his performance with the fourth goal.

"It's good to play with intelligent players such as Ronaldinho and Kaka," he said.

who are the favorites to win the confederations cup? ilang nations ba sasali dito? anong format ng tournament na to? group stage then elims or draw then elims lang kagad? sorry kasi i'm not that familiar with this tournament..pano din pla magqualify sa tournament na to?..

the confederations cup is a fifa INVITATIONAL tournament to its 6 federations: UEFA (europe), CONCACAF (north/central america and caribbean), CONMEBOL (south america), OCF (oceania and australia), CAF (africa) and AFC (asia).

ideally, the champions of each federation (ex. greece are the euro champions) are invited plus the defending world cup champion and the host country. but sometimes the zone champions decline the invitation and they are replaced by another country from the same zone.

france has won the last 2 cups, but the field was not that strong.

this year:

group a: argentina, australia, germany (host), tunisia

group b: brazil, greece, japan, mexico

To all AC Milan Fans: 

AC Milan has just signed PSV Eindhoven's Johann Vogel.  This guy is one good midfielder.  What's up with PSV?! Nagtatapon sila ng mga magagaling na players.

They're also planning on signing Udinese Calcio's Marek Jankulovski and Parma FC's striker, Alberto Gilardino - this guy can be a good backup for Andriy.

Confirmed na ba na babalik sa Chelsea si Crespo?  Kasi ang alam ko loaned lang sya eh.

Para naman sa mga ManU fans:

They've signed up Fullham's GK Edwin Van der Sar.  I think he's pretty old for the team.

yup psv's vogel is good, and psv isnt throwing its talents away, malaki lang oppurtunities sa labas ng netherlands.... u have to understand that the dutch league doesnt have the same audience and class as the other leagues like serie a and the spanish la liga... all good dutch players start in the dutch national league and breakthorugh either with psv, ajax or team orange... then they get signed by much larger teams like manchester united (van nistelrooy), ac milan (jaap stam&clarence seedorf) or arsenal (bergkamp), and yes even van der sar.... and the list goes on...

what you should look out for are ajax's sneijder and van der vaart and psv's robben and heitinga...

very young but very promising...