New York Knickerbockers

Knicks-Heat Preview

Kristaps Porzingis was widely perceived as a long-term project when the New York Knicks drafted him fourth overall this year. Early returns suggest he's well ahead of schedule.

Porzingis and the Knicks look to run their season-high winning streak to five when they visit the Miami Heat on Monday night.

New York's selection of Porzingis in June drew the ire of fans and pundits alike, with many expecting the 20-year-old Latvian to need significant time to develop his game and make an impact in the NBA. He looks like he's already there, though, averaging 13.2 points - the most by a Knicks rookie since Mark Jackson's 13.6 in 1987-88 - and a team-high 8.8 rebounds.

Porzingis scored a season-high 29 and grabbed 11 rebounds in Tuesday's 102-94 win over Charlotte before being limited to a season-low seven points in Friday's 93-90 victory at Oklahoma City. He bounced back in a big way Saturday, finishing with 24 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocked shots in a season-high 36 minutes of a 107-102 win at Houston.

"It was concern from people who didn't know," said forward Carmelo Anthony, shooting 44.6 percent over the last eight games after making 36.6 percent in the first six. "People didn't know what to expect. Nobody had ever seen him before and people were all so upset that the Knicks drafted him."

Porzingis has been a major defensive asset with New York (8-6) allowing 99.3 points per 100 possessions when he's on the floor, second-fewest on the team.

"I know for a fact that that was one thing that jumped out to management and to Phil (Jackson) that was really impressive about his game on the defensive end," coach Derek Fisher said. "Everybody, of course, was fascinated by the shot-making, but we thought the activity on the defensive end was one thing that would really give him a chance to be good."

Miami (8-4) survived a scare Saturday, coming back from a 17-point third-quarter deficit in a 96-91 victory over winless Philadelphia behind Dwyane Wade's 27 points.

The Heat outscored the 76ers 29-17 in the fourth and have made a habit of saving their best for the final quarter. They're shooting 49.8 percent in those 12 minutes.

"You definitely have to give Philadelphia credit," coach Erik Spoelstra said. "They really came out and competed and played a very good basketball game. This is not how you, as a coach, design it. But I did like seeing the toughness that we had to reveal in the fourth quarter."

Wade has made 37.9 percent from the field in his last six games, though he's totaled 51 points in the past two.

The Heat have been limited from 3-point range, hitting 6.3 shots per game from beyond the arc - among the worst marks in the league. Meanwhile, New York's Langston Galloway is shooting an NBA-best 55.3 percent on 3s.

Miami has won 17 of 23 meetings, including six in a row by an average of 16.2 points. The Knicks haven't won five straight games since an eight-game run March 5-21, 2014.

The Heat, continuing a home-heavy early schedule, are 7-2 at AmericanAirlines Arena. The Knicks are 5-2 on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Carmelo Anthony puts Knicks on his back in superstar statement

post-481684-0-15096200-1450026975_thumb.jpg

Carmelo Anthony branded Saturday’s game against the Trail Blazers “a must-win’’ and, like a good leader, he showed the way.

After getting his hackles up after learning about Charles Barkley’s TNT dig that he needed to be “a better leader,” Anthony had a superstar night, notching 37 points on 13-of-21 shooting as the Knicks broke their four-game losing streak with a 112-110 victory over the Trail Blazers at Moda Center.

The win, after the Knicks rallied from 10 down after three quarters, salvaged their Western trip with a 1-2 record and moved them to 11-14.

“We needed it bad,’’ Anthony said. “It couldn’t have come at a better time. I had to do whatever I could do to win the basketball game tonight. That rhythm came to me at the right time for me.

“It was a must win for us and must win for me, from the standpoint of doing it all and getting out with a win.I felt good coming into the game. One of those nights the shots were falling for me.’’

The Knicks needed all of Anthony’s deluxe shotmaking because 7-foot-3 rookie Kristaps Porzingis had no life, no pop and no points in a season-worst evening. He looked wiped out in going scoreless with three rebounds in 19 minutes, missing all six of his shots. Porzingis had a poor three-game trip, also laying an egg at Utah. He departed in the third quarter and never returned.

“I was struggling out there,’’ said Porzingis, claiming tired legs.

Before the game, the slumping Anthony said: “You don’t ever want to go winless on the road trip. This is a game that’s a must-win for us — just kind of morally and emotionally.’’

Anthony sank six free throws in the final 29 seconds to clinch the win. He actually had to make seven because one was disallowed — shot during a Portland substitution.

Anthony finished 9-for-9 for the night from the charity stripe and posted only his second game of the season with 30-plus points.

Yet the night was almost ruined by a scatterbrained foul by Lance Thomas on Damian Lillard (29 points) with 2.2 seconds left as he shot a 3-pointer with the Knicks up four. Lillard was awarded three free throws, making the first two and intentionally missing the last one. Somehow, he got the rebound behind the 3-point line and his desperation heave for the win bounced off the rim.

“I shouldn’t have jumped, it was a bonehead play,’’ said Thomas, who otherwise had a big night off the bench with 13 points. “It was a long two seconds. My heart was in my stomach on that shot.’’

Anthony, who had complained earlier in the week about referee bias, got a rare big call late, driving to the basket and colliding with Mason Plumlee. The call went against Plumlee and Anthony sank both free throws to give the Knicks a 108-104 lead with 29.5 seconds left.

Anthony had missed five free throws in the Sacramento loss, including two in the fourth quarter.

“Those missed free throws in Sacramento, I couldn’t sleep,’’ Anthony said. “It was an emphasis to make the free throws and close the game out.’’

Anthony was in rhythm from the opening tip. On the first possession, he buried a left-wing 3-pointer and kept up his sniper ways in 19 first-half minutes, dumping 20 points on the Blazers.

Anthony also was active on the defensive end, swatting a shot by Al-Farouq Aminu and knocked another ball away that caused a 24-second violation.

“His own activity level really led our group,’’ coach Derek Fisher said. “Regardless of stats, every time people look at you play, they should see that you want to win so bad that you’re flying around everywhere on both ends of the court. I thought his activity level really held us together.’’

Trailing by 10 after three quarters, the Knicks finally got a huge lift from their bench, finding the frenetic pace that had been missing for weeks. The bench got them the lead as Anthony got his rest.

The quintet of Langston Galloway, Thomas, Derrick Williams, Kyle O’Quinn (14 points, 7 rebounds) and starter Arron Afflalo lit up the fourth quarter with rare fast-break points.

“The bench was great,’’ Anthony said.

Robin Lopez finished with 14 points in his return to the city where he spent the past two seasons, putting the finishing touches on his night with a late offensive putback.

“My teammates did a good job of putting me in situations,’’ Lopez said.

Making 8-of-12 shots in the first half, Anthony rallied the Knicks from an 11-point deficit to trail just 56-55 at halftime. He looked back to his old self. He has shot 50 percent or better in just five games this season and his shooting percentage had dropped to 40.1 percent after a recent seven-game slump.

“It was a very difficult thing to do what the guys did being down in the fourth quarter on the third game in four nights, things haven’t been going well,” Fisher said. “It would’ve been easy for the guys to feel sorry for yourself, but they decided they wanted to win the game.”

- this is the Melo i want to see every game night. One who should feel that there is a chip on his shoulder and prove the critics wrong that he's lost a step or so. They should show more grit and fight every game. I hope they make the playoffs at least.

Edited by hahnz
  • 1 month later...
Derek Fisher fired by Knicks in his second season

post-481684-0-71875800-1454950441_thumb.jpg

The New York Knicks have fired coach Derek Fisher after a five-game losing streak left the team 1-9 in its last 10 games.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne and Ian Begley first reported the firing.

The Knicks are 23-31 this season after going 17-65 in Fisher's first season. New York's current losing skid contributed to the timing of the move, but the team was already convinced Fisher was not transitioning from the role of player to coach effectively, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

Fisher was hired by team president Phil Jackson to rectify the struggling New York franchise. Fisher and Jackson have a history together dating back to when Jackson coached the Lakers, and Fisher was a point guard on the team that won five championships.

Fisher, who had no previous head coaching experience, took over for Mike Woodson, who went 109-79 in parts of three seasons in New York. Woodson, however, won only one playoff series. The Knicks currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.

Assistant Kurt Rambis will now serve as interim coach. Rambis played on four Lakers title teams and was a coach or executive for four others. He coached the Timberwolves to a 56-145 mark from 2009-11.

Two other former Jackson players, Brian Shaw and Luke Walton, are candidates to the full-time job, sources told ESPN. Shaw coached parts of two seasons in Denver, while Walton led the defending champion Golden State Warriors to a record start this season, filling in for injured coach Steve Kerr. Sources tell Shelburne, though, that Walton is determined to take his time before accepting a head coaching position. Much like Kerr two summers ago, Walton wants to make sure he's setting himself up for success.

The Knicks haven't won a title since the 1972-73 season.

Porzingis doesn't play like Olajuwon. To me he plays more like a Dirk who's more athletic. Plus, on a short list. Phil will still pick his own guys. Thibodeau is not on his list. He has Shaw and Walton on the short list. Phil is the one calling the shots and they already constructed this team to play under the triangle. You can't just scrap the system and do it all over again because he already surrounded the team with players who can play within this system.

If they went and changed the system then they would need to scrap the players as well. THat doesn't make any sense. THey have better talent thant last year, so they can build off this and get a coach who's more experienced like Walton. Fish was thrust in a difficult situation transitioning from a player to coach in less than 2 years. Plus that Matt Barnes situation didn't help him his cause either.

Anyway, i like the talent on the team and they might be able to sign another piece this off season as some free agents would be available on the market i hope they get to sign Conley.

Hahaha! Shaw? What happened to Shaw in Denver? Why would Walton go to a championship team to a team that may not even qualify for the playoffs? :lol:

Read what I said again. I never said Porzingis plays like Olajuwon. I said Porzingis being the Olajuwon on the offense. :lol:

Those are Phil's guys they played under him. Walton is not the head coach of that team Steve Kerr is. Its the same as Thibodeau leaving Celtics assistant coaching job so he could become head coach. You didn't think of it that way? sad. for a know it all who knows everything about basketball :rolleyes:

Porzingis doesn't fit the mold. Even if you put him on the block he's too skinny and would be bounced by Deandre, or Drummond. He was having a hard time with Dwight. Olajuwon is positioned on the block. He was effective because he drew double teams, Porzingis doesn't have that kind of threat yet.

Anyway, i think Phil will make a decision based on what he thinks will be successful. Whoever the coach is.

I got a feeling Dolan will overpay for Luke Walton to be the next head coach when eligible, per Dr. Phil's orders.

Melo ain't getting any younger. Best move yet in years would be to deal Melo (maybe packaged with Afflalo or Calderon also) by the deadline for some draft picks and/or decent scrubs to play with Porz.

On second thought, this is the Knicks we're talking about. Nevermind. :lol:

Steve Kerr was Phil's guy. What happened? Speaking of being a know it all, I am pretty sure I know more than you when it comes to the NBA.

Was one of his guys. Was. He decided to sign with the Warriors. So what if he signed with the Warriors, there are other guys that are available. Brian shaw, and Luke Walton were mentioned so who am i to decide who Phil gets, all i know is im sure he will make a decision that would best serve the team and i won't dispute that.

Did you just make a joke? ill pretend i got your joke so im gonna laugh har har har. I know you grew up in the 80's that's why you are clinging to the glory of the past of your Celtics, but being older than me doesn't mean that you know more than me. I'm guessing you never even played ball when you were too busy sitting on your couch with a nice fat beer belly haha. I played some ball at Seton hall einstein for your info. so don't make some definitive statements like that. You don't know me. By the way, i had to respond to your "you know more than me" statement so i have to apologize for calling you a a fanboy who never played basketball who just sat in a couch watching basketball.

Just because he's skinny doesn't mean he would be bounced off by Jordan or Drummond. Do you have clips to prove this? Or is this another baseless speculation just like when you said that Larry Bird could not back up MJ because MJ is too strong for Larry Bird? :lol:

I watch basketball so i know that he wouldn't be able to body up those guys. THat's why he is currently doing some work to get some weight in the training room. I read their reports and there are clips on youtube. Its not a baseless speculation. If you have a guy like drummond who weighs 280 or dwight who weighs 265 way heavier and bulkier than porzingis who only weighs 240. Then he's at a disadvantage. He gets beat by these guys down low. THat's why Porzingis said he needs to get at least to 260 in order to match up against the heftier guys in the league. THis ain't speculation. geez, i wouldn't say it if i didn't read or watch it. Don't ever question me when it comes the posting stuff because i read.

Larry bird weighed 220 when he played and MJ was listed at 216 not that big of a difference. That's what i base it on not speculation.

Anyway this is a knicks thread stop diverting everyone's attention just so you can segue Larry Bird into this. He's retired he's done. We're not talking about him. You sound like some obsesses stalker fan guy im not calling you a fan boy coz clearly you ain't a boy anymore, old definitely. LOL

You will answer back because and i know you will. But I'm done going at some die hard old fan like you. No need for me to waste my time explaining stuff to some dude who just posts "what if" scenarios. One definitive statement ill make is this, its good that you're not running the Celtics organization with what you've been posting. You would have run them to the ground. haha marinate on that statement you old dog haha

Edited by hahnz

Could next Knicks coach be Tom Thibodeau? Luke Walton? Patrick Ewing? A look at potential candidates

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 7:28 AM

Now that Derek Fisher has been shown the door at Madison Square Garden, the time for speculation on who will take over the always-hot seat at the end of the Knicks bench has begun.

TOM THIBODEAU

The 58-year-old is the best available coach by a mile. He squeezed more out of the Bulls than anybody else in the post-Jordan era, developing Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler and Joakim Noah into stars while going 255-139 in five seasons. He served as an assistant in New York and Boston during the most successful times those franchises had in the last 20 years.

His involvement with USA Basketball also establishes the all-important link to Kevin Durant.

Thibodeau is part of the Jeff Van Gundy coaching tree, which has often worked in direct competition with Jackson and, for some reason, hasn’t endeared itself to James Dolan. Let’s just say Jackson’s interest was lukewarm, at best, when asked specifically about reaching out to Thibodeau.

KURT RAMBIS

He’s getting an audition now and has been at Phil Jackson’s side for years. He hasn’t shown himself to be a winner as a head coach — 56-145 — but he also hasn’t exactly been blessed with talent (though he did go 24-13 leading the Lakers as a bridge coach between Del Harris and Phil Jackson).

He also checks the necessary boxes from the Zen Master, who portrayed Rambis as the anti-Derek Fisher for having a relaxed personality. Rambis’ connection to Jackson extends to their respective significant others, Jeanie Buss and Linda Rambis are close.

LUKE WALTON

While technically 0-0 as a head coach, he was at the helm when the Warriors got off to a 39-4 start while Steve Kerr was sidelined with back problems. Jackson loved Walton as a player in his system with the Lakers — a gifted passing forward who could move the ball in the triangle offense — winning two titles in Los Angeles, so he understands the offense Phil wants to run, which is nothing like what the Warriors are doing as they run roughshod over the NBA.

PATRICK EWING

The Knicks have never shown an inclination to bring Ewing aboard — save for a token offer to coach their D-League team in 2012 — as they’ve changed coaches 10 times since he retired in 2002.

It’s not like he lacks experience, either. Ewing has built up a resume as an assistant coach and is currently working for Michael Jordan’s Hornets in Charlotte.

He expressed interest in the Knicks job when it was open in 2014 — “I’d love to bo back to New York,” he said then — and lamented what he percieved as a big man bias as Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd, Steve Kerr and Fisher, all guards, all made the jump from playing straight into coaching.

BRIAN SHAW

He worked and played under Jackson and owns a strong grasp of the triangle, so he delivers on a level of familiarity with the boss. Shaw had a rough stint in his one go-around as head coach with the Nuggets recently, lasting less than two seasons with a 56-85 record.

Shaw was a flop in Denver (56-85 in parts of two seasons), and his big idea as head coach was to cancel morning shootarounds because NBA players don’t like to wake up early for them, a plan he stuck with even after his point guard, Ty Lawson, was busted for drunk driving.

But previous to that disappointment Shaw was lauded for his work as an assistant with the Pacers and Lakers, becoming a favorite among players like Kobe Bryant and David West.

DAVID BLATT

He was fired while the Cavs were 30-11 in what looks from the outside as a LeBron James-led uprising. That’s a bad look for Blatt, since Carmelo Anthony and James are tight and star players certainly have input, if not influence, on coaching maneuvers.

Blatt came up in the Princeton offense — playing with Knicks GM Steve Mills at the Ivy League school in the 1970s — which the triangle is an offshoot of, but the principles aren’t exactly interchangeable (Ask Mike Brown how the triangle-to-Princeton switch worked with the Lakers in 2012).

Maybe Mills can put in a good word for his old teammate.

SCOTT BROOKS

The former Thunder coach is widely credited for his work with young players, as his supporters point to the development of Durant (a check in his favor), Russell Westbrook and James Harden under him after OKC fired P.J. Carlesimo and promoted Brooks. Serge Ibaka and Steven Adams also made strides under the former Knicks backup guard. With Kristaps Porzingis the centerpiece of the Knicks' future, Brooks' track record with youngsters is another mark in his favor.

But his critics will say that while he had a hand in developing those All-Star players, he didn't grow as a coach. The Thunder's offense lacked innovation and one trip to the NBA Finals in parts of seven seasons, with the talent he had available, is seen as a shortcoming

VINNY DEL NEGRO

Certainly not a “wow” candidate, but he’s 26 games over .500 as a head coach (210-184) with the Bulls and Clippers and guys with a record like that generally get a second shot.

He never played for Jackson or in a triangle system, so those are marks against him, and if Anthony asks Chris Paul about him, it’s probably not good for Vinny. They clashed in L.A. and Del Negro has come thisclose to saying that Paul got him fired after a 56-win season.

MARK JACKSON

He has ties to New York as a Brooklynite and former Knicks point guard in the 80s, but his last coaching stint didn’t end well in Golden State amid riffs with assistants and ownership — most of it centered on Jackson’s inflexibility. The Warriors’ unprecedented success after Jackson’s departure doesn’t reflect well on him either. Jackson’s been working as an ESPN analyst for the last two seasons.

ISIAH THOMAS

The owner loves him.

- i laughed at the isiah statement

Edited by hahnz

No, I am not making a joke. I am stating an observation and based on our arguments, I know of basketball more than you. I will give you an example of an ignorant statement you made: Larry Bird can't back up MJ because MJ is strong. Statements like these prove you don't know what you're talking about. I don't give a rat's ass if you played for Duke or UNC. What I know is you are an ignorant poster trying to prove that he knows his basketball. You're getting pwned in our arguments, The more you post, the more you are embarrassing yourself. :lol:

You can't even counter the weight difference i mentioned. ohhh kayyy. Mr couch potato, keep sitting and make your so called what if statements in front of the Tv while eating your pork rind chips lol. B)

Steve is very lucky he didnt take the knicks job

Kerr was offered 13.2M for 3 years while Golden State later went with an offer of 22M for 5 years. The one mistake the Knicks did was they initially offered him the 13.2M, they were doing a see and wait approach if Steve was going to bite. Golden State then entered after a 1 week with the 22M offer so that made up Kerr's mind. The warriors actually were interested in Stan Van Gundy but when Stan signed with Detroit. The Warriors decided to go with Steve. If the Knicks offered Steve straight up the 22M which they could afford by the way, he would have ended up coaching the Knicks. It is what it is, James Dolan putting his damn hands on the cookie jar.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/16/whyd-the-knicks-miss-out-on-steve-kerr-jax-was-cheap/

Carmelo made the top 100 of

ESPN NBA All Time Ranking

post-481684-0-15672200-1455214189_thumb.jpg

59: Carmelo Anthony

post-481684-0-89337500-1455214175_thumb.jpg

Position
Small forward

Teams
Denver Nuggets (2003-2011), New York Knicks (2011-present)

Honors
Nine-time All-Star, six-time All-NBA selection, NBA scoring champion (2012-13)

Championships
None

Career stats
25.0 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 3.1 APG, .454 FG%

Nickname
Melo

Did you know?
Of the 13 players in NBA history to average at least 25 points for their career, Anthony's three playoff series wins are tied with George Gervin for the fewest. -- ESPN Stats & Info

- If he gets to win a championship his ranking might go up

Knicks giving Jimmer Fredette an NBA shot

post-481684-0-84532500-1455924381_thumb.jpg

The Knicks will finally give Jimmer Fredette a chance.

After going silent at the trade deadline, the Knicks will fill their open roster spot by signing the upstate Glens Falls sharpshooter to a 10-day contract.

Fredette is likely to sign Monday and be ready for that night’s home game against the Raptors.

Fredette, who has been playing for the D-League Westchester Knicks since November, would make two more appearances for that club, rather than being available for the Knicks’ games Friday in Brooklyn and Saturday in Minnesota.

ESPN.com first reported the agreement.

A former lottery pick, Fredette has played on five NBA teams, including a brief November stay with the Pelicans. The Knicks need a boost offensively from the backcourt, but league scouts are forever concerned with his defense and leadership capabilities.

“I feel I’ve definitely proven I can still play and provide something for a team out there,’’ Fredette told The Post in a phone interview Tuesday morning. “I’ve shown that. And I’m definitely confident if I do get an opportunity, I’ll be able to produce. The D-League has helped me to get better and develop as a basketball player. I hope there’ll be a team that takes notice and gives me a chance.’’

Knicks interim coach Kurt Rambis said Thursday they would probably take a look at a D-League player and see how he fits in at practice — even if he didn’t play.

“There’s players we‘ve kept our eye on we might bring in,” Rambis said. “We’re looking at guys who can possibly come in and help us out or take a better look at in practice and see how they fit in with everybody else — whether they play or not.’’

Fredette won the MVP of last weekend’s D-League All-Star Game with 35 points, eight assists and six rebounds. In 28 games for Westchester, he’s averaging 22.6 points and 4.8 assists and shooting 48 percent (42 percent from 3-point range). He’s seen a lot of friends and family descend on the Westchester County Center for games.