What Is Your Religion.

I'm a "dont know"-ist. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know the truth about God and religion and I won't claim to know what I don't know. When its based on faith, you gotta have faith; but poor me don't have faith. I follow Catholic traditions anyway because of my upbringing.

Fair enough sir Airport Noo. I guess all of us lack faith in one form or another. For certain, even St. Peter lost his faith when Jesus' tormentors accused him of being Jesus' follower. As you probably already know, St. Peter denied Christ 3 times. And who can forget the doubting Thomas who boasted he would never believe that Jesus rose from the dead unless he personally saw the wounds on Jesus' hands, feet, and side?

We are all human and being human, we sometimes need proof that need to be collected by our senses and analyzed by our rational brain before we accept something as true. Unfortunately, when it comes to religion, we have to do away with proof. Or rather rational (human) proof. When it comes to faith, proof can come in ways that we can't explain. These are the so-called miracles. Miracles don't have to be earth shattering (such as that reported in Fatima when the sun seemed to be crashing into the earth.) Miracles sometimes come in small packages. Packages that are unique to each and everyone of us. I have had my own share of miracles (albeit insignificant to others). But miracles won't happen unless you're open to them. You have to be receptive to "divine proof." You cannot have an arrogant attitude like telling God "lay it on me." No, you have to ask in the most humble way possible, removing all pride from your heart. Then you have to ask for forgivness for all the sins you've committed (part of the humbling process) and naturally you have to be receptive to the miracle that awaits you.

And of course, miracles occur in God's good time. You may receive it when you least expect it.

One thing I do know. Miracles will never happen to proud people who outright reject God, proudly proclaiming their superior intelligence is of their own making and thus believing that they belong a notch higher on the evolutionary scale than those who have greater faith than them. I truly believe God listens to humble hearts and ignores the proud.

I'm beginning to sound like a priest or a preacher. Sige just try to kkeep in mind what I just said and hopefully, you will receive the proof you long for in your life.

Peace.

Edited by sonnyt111
  • Like (+1) 1

Fair enough sir Airport Noo. I guess all of us lack faith in one form or another. For certain, even St. Peter lost his faith when Jesus' tormentors accused him of being Jesus' follower. As you probably already know, St. Peter denied Christ 3 times. And who can forget the doubting Thomas who boasted he would never believe that Jesus rose from the dead unless he personally saw the wounds on Jesus' hands, feet, and side?

We are all human and being human, we sometimes need proof that need to be collected by our senses and analyzed by our rational brain before we accept something as true. Unfortunately, when it comes to religion, we have to do away with proof. Or rather rational (human) proof. When it comes to faith, proof can come in ways that we can't explain. These are the so-called miracles. Miracles don't have to be earth shattering (such as that reported in Fatima when the sun seemed to be crashing into the earth.) Miracles sometimes come in small packages. Packages that are unique to each and everyone of us. I have had my own share of miracles (albeit insignificant to others). But miracles won't happen unless you're open to them. You have to be receptive to "divine proof." You cannot have an arrogant attitude like telling God "lay it on me." No, you have to ask in the most humble way possible, removing all pride from your heart. Then you have to ask for forgivness for all the sins you've committed (part of the humbling process) and naturally you have to be receptive to the miracle that awaits you.

And of course, miracles occur in God's good time. You may receive it when you least expect it.

One thing I do know. Miracles will never happen to proud people who outright reject God, proudly proclaiming their superior intelligence is of their own making and thus believing that they belong a notch higher on the evolutionary scale than those who have greater faith than them. I truly believe God listens to humble hearts and ignores the proud.

I'm beginning to sound like a priest or a preacher. Sige just try to kkeep in mind what I just said and hopefully, you will receive the proof you long for in your life.

Peace.

I appreciate what you said bro, and I can see there is faith in your post and I respect that. I lost my religion sometime around HS, but tried to get the faith back in college when I joined a prayer group. I went through the usual soul-searching and found myself not believing what I was preaching. That doesn't mean I have an attitude of "Bah, humbug!" that some atheists have. I'm not atheist. An atheist will say "I know it is false" while a believer will say "I know it is truth". An agnostic will say "I don't know if its true or not" -- that's me. But even though I don't know, I'm also open to further discovery of the truth; just not with the current explanations.

We'll probably get to that discovery eventually. For instance in quantum physics, at the sub-atomic level scientists theorized that the state of a particle is not decided until it is observed. The particle is there but it doesn't have a state (yet). The particle's state is just a probability until a measurement locks it's state from probability to reality. This is open to interpretation. One could interpret this as follows: God was the observer who made the measurement, thus creating something out of nothing.

I appreciate what you said bro, and I can see there is faith in your post and I respect that. I lost my religion sometime around HS, but tried to get the faith back in college when I joined a prayer group. I went through the usual soul-searching and found myself not believing what I was preaching. That doesn't mean I have an attitude of "Bah, humbug!" that some atheists have. I'm not atheist. An atheist will say "I know it is false" while a believer will say "I know it is truth". An agnostic will say "I don't know if its true or not" -- that's me. But even though I don't know, I'm also open to further discovery of the truth; just not with the current explanations.

We'll probably get to that discovery eventually. For instance in quantum physics, at the sub-atomic level scientists theorized that the state of a particle is not decided until it is observed. The particle is there but it doesn't have a state (yet). The particle's state is just a probability until a measurement locks it's state from probability to reality. This is open to interpretation. One could interpret this as follows: God was the observer who made the measurement, thus creating something out of nothing.

The important thing is you haven't decided with finality to become a true atheist. I think you probably represent the majority of thinking people in this world. Because those who don't have the capacity for deep thought and analysis are probably the ones who more easily become believers. And those who think they know it all are probably the ones who eventually become atheist. But even the most hardened atheist can have a change of heart in the most unexpected ways. And many people with deep convictions in their belief in God can also lose their faith through a variety of reasons. I know someone who was very close to God. When she lost her daughter, she lost her faith.

The important thing is you don't give up the search for God. I think God doesn't expect anything more from you than leaving your door unlocked. Believers have their doors wide open while atheists have locked their door and thrown away the key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have changed religion. My religion now is none.

Not an atheist. I put my faith in God but not in religion. I don't go to any service, Mass, prayer meetings or whatever else you might call it.

Neither do I. But I do try to follow God's commandments. Loving one's fellowman is one of the fundamental commandments. Meaning I need to be charitable, forgiving, patient, etc towards my neighbor. What's the use of going to church, mass, prayer meetings, etc. if, after the service, I behave in an unchristian like manner?

Edited by sonnyt111
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Roman Catholic.

Though there are times when I doubt my religion. Not my faith, but my religion. Knowing what I know about the horrors of the past, how a lot of people have sacrificed for "My God is better than your God" wars, it's kind of hard for me to be a stickler for the rigid and unquestioning belief I should have for the Roman Catholic religion. Then there's the issue of having a lot of knowledge destroyed during these wars that make me cringe (Yes, I cried during the scene where the Christians ransacked the library of Alexandria in the movie Agora). What I know, and what I continue to learn of, stops me from fully adhering to the precepts of the religion. It's like what Hypatia said to Synesius (former student of Hypatia and the Bishop of Cyrene) in Agora: "Synesius you don't question what you believe. You cannot. I must "

dont have one. come to think of it, never really had one

i used to go to church when i was a kid because my parents take me ther or they ask me to go there. that's the only reason

right now, dont know if i believe in god or should i believe in one.

so long as i dont bother anyone, nobody cared naman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...