Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS #4: LIGHTING

Use of Light in Photography

The use of light in a photograph can be the deciding factor of whether that picture will be spectacular or terrible. When you use your camera to automatically chose aperture and shutter speed, what your camera is actually doing is using the built in light meter and measuring how much light is being reflected to the camera.

But that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. You should also think about the angle of the light entering the frame, what kind of shadows you want, and whether you want to use fill-in-flash (using flash to light the subject if you have a really bright background). If you are shooting at night you can create all sorts of cool effects like lights in motion, pictures with moonlight, or silhouettes like the one shown here. The following are just some examples of all the possibilities.

The angle of light should be taken into careful consideration whenever you feel like you want to create a specific effect. Shadows can be very powerful when cast over half of someone's face. In this photo on the left the light is striking the statue's face from the rear right of the camera and this adds more depth to the picture. It also adds more coloring because if front-lighting was used his face would likely be over exposed, and if back-lighting was used his face would just be black like a silhouette.

The effect of rays of light indoors and outdoors. can be very spectacular. A brilliant part of some great photographs is the ability to see actual rays of light. Whether it be in the setting of a brilliant sunset, light pouring through a window or from artificial lights it can look very impressive. Usually the only way to obtain something like this is a narrow aperture (high f/stop) and a very slow shutter speed.

Silhouettes are another interesting example of using light. The way to create a silhouette is to have significantly brighter light coming from behind the subject. In doing this it is important to take your camera light reading off of the background instead of the subject in order for the camera to adjust for an exposure based on the backlight. If you do this the subject will be successfully underexposed like in the picture at the top of this page.

If you keep experimenting with different ways of using light you will find that you can get very interesting results. The longer the exposure, the more fascinating the results with light most of the time.

not sure if i am at that level yet in Photography.. to be taking on the D300 or D700..

that is a guaranteed P100k set up with a really really good lens.

damn.. this is a very expensive hobby.

haven't you noticed that most photographers look light even with their cameras and gear around their neck? that's because of empty pockets...:D

HI! I am looking to swap my 2 Nikon Lenses (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED & Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED) for a Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens...

the 18-55 lens was purchased with my D40 last January, and the 55-200 lens was purchased just last April.

anyone interested, please PM me...

I'm selling the lenses individually...

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED = P3,000

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED = P5,500

PM me if interested...

haven't you noticed that most photographers look light even with their cameras and gear around their neck? that's because of empty pockets...:D

you have a point! hahahaha.. =) i think am headed in that direction..

just an update.. price of the D80 has dropped significantly, i think its because the d90 is coming out soon..

last time i asked a cam shop like Meyers, they are selling it for P40.5k with an 18-135mm kit lens..

not bad.. its within my budget..

then again.. i like the D90.. the D300 mas lalo na..

may group eb ba ang photographers ng mtc? =)

Very mint condition Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home (shoulder bag for 1 pro DSLR body even with grip + up to 4 medium-sized lenses) for P5000. Oatmeal/Olive color that goes originally for P5,600 in stores. Will send high-resolution photos to those interested. Delivery thru courier only (sagot ko). Payment thru BPI Express Cash deposit. PM for details.

Planning to get a DSLR and quite confused which one to go for after reading through tons of reviews and not so familiar with the terminologies. Would like to ask for your opinions on which one to buy. Want to use this for my hobby. Canon 450D or Nikon D60? Nikon D90 or Canon( what model should be used here to compare to the Nikon D90 release?) What basic lenses should I get for shooting sceneries,portraits of people,and macro miniature model photography? Thank you very much for your insights and suggestions.

hi cruzer, depends actually on your budget. whether canon or nikon, you can never go wrong with this 2, but in my opinion, if your going to choose between a 450d or a d60, mag d80 ka na lang... d60 is basically like a d40 IMHO (sensya na po, nikon user e) but if you have the budget, go with the d90!!! wala sa pana yan ser, nasa indian. ;)

as for lenses, hmmm, ulit ko ulit ung tanong ko, ano budget mo... lenses are actually expensive kasi e, for sceneries, you could buy a 10-22mm na wide angle, for portraits, a kit lens would do, pero mas maganda meron ka din 50mm prime, kung macro, syempre bili ka din ng macro lens (sorry, no idea kung anong macro lens maganda eh)

Pero kahit yung kit lens lang, pwede na muna e. it can do most of what you need naman. pagsawaan mo na muna kit lens na kasama sa camera mo. then pag nabibitin ka na, then thats the time you start investing in good glass.

hope this helps.

hi cruzer, depends actually on your budget. whether canon or nikon, you can never go wrong with this 2, but in my opinion, if your going to choose between a 450d or a d60, mag d80 ka na lang... d60 is basically like a d40 IMHO (sensya na po, nikon user e) but if you have the budget, go with the d90!!! wala sa pana yan ser, nasa indian. ;)

as for lenses, hmmm, ulit ko ulit ung tanong ko, ano budget mo... lenses are actually expensive kasi e, for sceneries, you could buy a 10-22mm na wide angle, for portraits, a kit lens would do, pero mas maganda meron ka din 50mm prime, kung macro, syempre bili ka din ng macro lens (sorry, no idea kung anong macro lens maganda eh)

Pero kahit yung kit lens lang, pwede na muna e. it can do most of what you need naman. pagsawaan mo na muna kit lens na kasama sa camera mo. then pag nabibitin ka na, then thats the time you start investing in good glass.

hope this helps.

Thank you sir niteowl. I don't understand what's pana and indian? Is DSLR cheaper in HongKong or Hidalgo? I don't have budget concerns as of the moment kasi I want to invest in really good quality lenses sana. :) It took me sometime na rin pagipunan ito.