Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

quick question...

I'm just about to start with photography and I want to invest wisely. I need your opinion.

Nikon D80 vs. Canon Rebel xti vs. Sony Alpha 100?

At 21, I guess I saved a lot for this. I just wanna make sure that I make a good investment.

We always have this joke or saying "Wala sa pana yan... nasa indian" which is true... it doesn't really matter what camera you use... its how you 'see' things around you that matters the most... the tools are just there to make it easier to capture what you 'see'

Now... about the cameras you mentioned I own the Nikon D80... and I also had the chance to play around with the Canon Digital Rebel XTi (Canon 400D)... but the Sony Alpha 100... I don't have the slightest idea...

What I noticed with the 400D is that it tends to underexpose your images... plus the colors 'appears' to be flat... so either you compensate manually or you do it during post-processing...

Now... there's also the fields in photography... have you decided which field you want to 'specialize' into? Why did I ask this? Because here comes the next part you have to consider are your lenses... both Nikon and Canon has tons of them... as for Sony... really couldn't say anything -_-

For camera reviews you might wanna checkout http://www.dpreview.com goodluck... :thumbsupsmiley:

I wanna concentrate on taking pictures of people... and the urban landscape as well...

what do you think?

Among the 3 choices that you gave me... I'd still go for the D80... why? One good reason is you can go from wide-angle to tele without changing the lens (18-135mm) great walkaround lens if you ask me... compared to the kit lens the other 2 has to offer... but thats just me :)

Among the 3 choices that you gave me... I'd still go for the D80... why? One good reason is you can go from wide-angle to tele without changing the lens (18-135mm) great walkaround lens if you ask me... compared to the kit lens the other 2 has to offer... but thats just me :)

thanks for your insights. yours is the one im seriously considering. the next thing is whether to buy it here or in amazon. How much would a D80 kit cost here? Some say it's better to buy it here so that I don't have to worry if ever something goes wrong. However, there are some instances wherein cameras can still be a lot less expensive when bought online/in the states.

im kind of trying to study basic photography right now..can anyone help me and give me a little bit of photography 101...may mga tanong kasi ako..

meron b kayong table with regards sa aperture against shutter speed? nalilito tlga kasi ako.

like if ur using f22, tapos iba ibang shutter speed ang gamit, ano ung magiging diff?

or if shutter speed is 1/15, tapos iba iba ang aperture, ano ung magiging diff?

and meron b automatic thing kunwari aperture is f8 tapos shutter speed is 1/50..then this set up is usually used for _________

im sorry kung medyo magulo, i hope naintindihan nyo nmn ung tanong ko..

siguro summary is i want to know the combinations of aperture and shutter speed and when and where to apply it.

i was part of our photography club bank in high school..right now i have plans of taking pictures again as a hobby..i'll save up for a better camera.

Good for you... nice to know a lot of people are picking up this wonderful 'hobby'

thanks for your insights. yours is the one im seriously considering. the next thing is whether to buy it here or in amazon. How much would a D80 kit cost here? Some say it's better to buy it here so that I don't have to worry if ever something goes wrong. However, there are some instances wherein cameras can still be a lot less expensive when bought online/in the states.

Here's my take on this... I originally bought my D80 kit for PhP 57K... got it from Nick (owner's son) of Henry's Camera... and that was last February... now its just about 50K or less... not really sure tho... its better if you could go to their store in Hidalgo and look for him... you could get a lot of discount especially if you pay in cash ^_^

im kind of trying to study basic photography right now..can anyone help me and give me a little bit of photography 101...may mga tanong kasi ako..

meron b kayong table with regards sa aperture against shutter speed? nalilito tlga kasi ako.

like if ur using f22, tapos iba ibang shutter speed ang gamit, ano ung magiging diff?

or if shutter speed is 1/15, tapos iba iba ang aperture, ano ung magiging diff?

and meron b automatic thing kunwari aperture is f8 tapos shutter speed is 1/50..then this set up is usually used for _________

im sorry kung medyo magulo, i hope naintindihan nyo nmn ung tanong ko..

siguro summary is i want to know the combinations of aperture and shutter speed and when and where to apply it.

There are lots of e-books about photography you can find over the net... so I suggest you download them for reference ^_^

Now, regarding your questions... lemme put it as simple as I can... Aperture is the iris of your camera... this controls the amount of light that goes to the sensor... this also is where the DOF (Depth of Field) is controlled... this is where you control the visibility of your subject against your background... for example you have 2 models, one is about 2ft away from you and the other is about 4ft away... you wanted to focus on the 1st model and make the 2nd model blurred... you need to select a higher Aperture (about f1.8 to f3.5) to highlight the 1st model... now if you lower the Aperture (about f8 and up) without changing your focus on the 1st model... your 2nd model will become more and more visible as you lower your aperture... lower apertures are usually used for landscapes and group pictures...

Shutter speed is the amount of time you 'expose' your sensor to light... one good example is taking a picture of a fountain... the faster the shutter speed... the more the water in the fountain would appear to be stuck in mid-air... if you lower the shutter speed the more fluid your fountain would be... this is were the term 'motion blur' comes into place...

There... I hope I answered your questions... Happy Shooting ^_^

woah nice explanation phrozen nagets ko agad..

with regards to shutter speed, usually freezing the moving object tlga ang use. but what if normal pictures lng like portraits and landscapes. ano usually ang shutter speed? or depende din sa lighting conditions kasi pag gabi, kahit na portrait pics, dapat mas matagal ung shutter speed to get more light?.or dapat aperture palitan para sa amount of light?...tama ba?

havent tried bracketing kasi wala p skn ung camera na napapalitan ung mga aperture and shutterspeed kaya im asking questions..hehe

hehe. I feel like I'm abusing phrozen already with all my questions. Sorry, phrozen. but just to make sure... Will the hidalgo stores offer the same quality of service as Columbia? here in the net, it seems like resellers offer kits with columbia warranty for a higher price. However, a lot of enthusiasts seem to be quite happy with the hidalgo stores. what's your take on this?

hi,

am planning to start photography as a hobby, what's your take on the nikon d40? it cost almost half of the d80 and am a little tight on the budget. would the d40 be alright as a starter camera. i used to own only point and shoot cameras. also how much would it cost in the philippines?

thanks

woah nice explanation phrozen nagets ko agad..

with regards to shutter speed, usually freezing the moving object tlga ang use. but what if normal pictures lng like portraits and landscapes. ano usually ang shutter speed? or depende din sa lighting conditions kasi pag gabi, kahit na portrait pics, dapat mas matagal ung shutter speed to get more light?.or dapat aperture palitan para sa amount of light?...tama ba?

havent tried bracketing kasi wala p skn ung camera na napapalitan ung mga aperture and shutterspeed kaya im asking questions..hehe

Yes... thats what you call exposure... it will all depend on the availability of light... thats why we have over and under exposed images... usually there's a meter in the viewfinder of your DSLR that will tell you whether your image is over or under exposed... my suggestion... if you're just starting... go for the Aperture Priority setting of your camera... this way you only think of the Aperture and the camera automatically determines the right Shutter speed for a particular shot to get the right exposure...

Bracketing on the other hand are successive shots thats good for HDR or 'Combining' shots with different levels of exposure... usually from an underexposed to an overexposed image... the tricky part when bracketing is that you're shooting people... they have to be perfectly still when you're shooting... otherwise it will not work... :)

hehe. I feel like I'm abusing phrozen already with all my questions. Sorry, phrozen. but just to make sure... Will the hidalgo stores offer the same quality of service as Columbia? here in the net, it seems like resellers offer kits with columbia warranty for a higher price. However, a lot of enthusiasts seem to be quite happy with the hidalgo stores. what's your take on this?

Thats fine with me... I'd love to share the things I know... and I apologize for my delayed response ^_^

Yes they do... I didn't have problems when I dealt with Nick... they are the ones bringing the units at the service centers if your unit needs to be serviced or even replaced with a brand new unit if necessary... one thing I liked about dealing with them is that they also offer different levels of warranty... all with different prices that will surely fit your budget ^_^

hi,

am planning to start photography as a hobby, what's your take on the nikon d40? it cost almost half of the d80 and am a little tight on the budget. would the d40 be alright as a starter camera. i used to own only point and shoot cameras. also how much would it cost in the philippines?

thanks

Would that be the D40 or the D40x? A friend just bought his D40x for under 30K I believe... forgot the exact price... lemme ask him once he gets back in the office...

Oh one more thing... if you guys are buying lenses... I advise you to buy UV filters for your lenses... aside from protecting your lenses from scratches... a friend's lens was saved when it was accidentally dropped and the only thing that was damaged was the filter it was completely destroyed but his precious lens was still intact with absolutely no damage ^_^

Nakita ko sa Hidalgo Nikon D80 nasa 64K - 65K Kit with 18-55mm lens. D40 nasa 22K Body only. Try mo din kung may budget ka for Canon 400D, baka meron pang makuha for 36K. Pero ok na talaga ang D40 for starters eh invest ka nalang ng 18-72mm na lens bitin yung lens na kasama nya sa kit.

Sarap mag shopping lalo na may pera ka!

I got mine for around 57K last Feb... if I'm not mistaken you can get it from Henry's (look for Nick) for around 53k for the kit... enjoy :)

You bought D80 with 18-135mm lens for 57k? But the kit lens is 17-55mm right??? Whats the price only for the lens 18-135mm (approx.)???

Thanks by the way!

Nakita ko sa Hidalgo Nikon D80 nasa 64K - 65K Kit with 18-55mm lens. D40 nasa 22K Body only. Try mo din kung may budget ka for Canon 400D, baka meron pang makuha for 36K. Pero ok na talaga ang D40 for starters eh invest ka nalang ng 18-72mm na lens bitin yung lens na kasama nya sa kit.

Sarap mag shopping lalo na may pera ka!

I passed by mid May. The prices then were:

D40x - 33K (two lenses)

D80 - 52K

D200 - 63K

You bought D80 with 18-135mm lens for 57k? But the kit lens is 17-55mm right??? Whats the price only for the lens 18-135mm (approx.)???

Thanks by the way!

Its the 18-135mm lens that came with the standard D80 kit... and yes I got it for only 57K... if you don't believe me I could show you the receipts :)

If you got the kit for 60K+ you've been screwed <_<

tnx a lot phrozen! no more questions our honor! hehe

You're welcome... glad I could help :)

I passed by mid May. The prices then were:

D40x - 33K (two lenses)

D80 - 52K

D200 - 63K

Guess my estimate was correct... thanks for the info ^_^

Called Mayer kanina 51.5k for the D80 kit.

The other numbers for Henry's and Watson are not really working. It rings pero nobody picks it up.

I don't mean to put out a bad word or anything... but I heard too much sad stories about Mang Ramon (Mayer) and his business ethics to made me think at least 3x before getting anything from him. Don't get me wrong... he has gives the lowest price among his competitors especially if he got to know you. As a precaution... always check the box... the body... and the leaflets in the box for the serial number if it matches.

I've heard of stories of Mayer giving used units just to make a sale... it pays to be careful you know... after all its an investment :)

I don't know what numbers you have of Henry's... if you like I could give you all of Nick's numbers that I have :)

@Phrozen.Khold:

Verry nice tips bro. I'm glad to have stumbled onto this thread. You really know your stuf :thumbsupsmiley:

Also, to our friends here taking the plunge into Digital. Here's some insights... sadly based from experience.

There's this little thing called the memory card. Well the trend right now is the bigger the capacity the better. Like going for 2G and 4Gb cards. True that they hold a lot of room for you to shoot and shoot and shoot some more without worrying about space, but there's still this wise addage that says"Don't keep your eggs in one basket".

Flash Memory Cards, however reliable, do and will fail (Range of write/erase is 5 - 10 thousand cycles) depending on manufacturer and operation environment (the hotter it is, the lower the erase/cycle count goes)....

If you can, choose several 1G cards instead of the Big boys... (A gig can easily hold 200 - 10Megapixel pics) so you can have a spare. Once a card is filled up, pop in the second one and store the other one safe from inadvertent erasures until you decide to download it on a PC. It's common sense too, as I generally see prices where you can get 3 1gigs for the price of a 2G.

Happy shooting everyone. :D

Edited by fire_breather