Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

whoa Taxi! you are one lucky dude, at least you are able to do some modelling!

seems a lot of you guys have the AMS. With the PE detail sets in armour I seem to find it too fidly to handle. you would need to solder it or heat and roll it to replicate the detail you want. dont want to invest in PE forming tools though. :) hope the plastic manufacturers would exploit the better plastic injection techniques so we could have more/better pronounced detail even in styrene form.

doc, your story reminded me when I was building my Tiger I and Panther. since Tamiya used to supply the vinyl (rubberband) tracks, I couldnt get the tracks to achieve a "natural sag". I tought, why not put glue on top of the road wheels where it touches the tracks and put a weight on top of the track to make it sag! I used rocks for that. hehe, for a high school kid selling models to his classmates pwede na! some of my friends said "uy okay, parang yung naka dispaly sa National Bookstore sa Quad!" hearing that made me smile, but deep inside I felt napakarami ko pang bigas na kakainin!

back in high school i was able to sell a King Tiger, a couple of Tiger Is and Panther (tamiya) and build and assemble an Italeri Marder III. those were the days, wala pa airbrush, pa gaangan lang ng hawak sa Tamiya spray can! :P

Doc,

The Bradley you see in the pics is actually in 1/72 scale. :)

Taxi,

Thats the spirit! Get back into the groove! I just had the same sudden motivation last night when I got back into the jet fighter currently gathering dust on my workbench. Didnt go to bed till 2am.

Suggestion ko post progress pics of your project here, so we can all discuss it and maybe we can help one another finish our works. :)

OMFG! 1/72 yan??? Kala ko talaga 1/35. Galing ng detailing. Master!!!

post-64017-1162539281.jpgpost-64017-1162539088.jpg

You guys should check outthe models being sold at Miniature Park (www.miniature-park.com), they sell a line called Atelier It. Figures are 1/16, 1/6, 1/5 and 1/4. The models looks so lifelike! They even have models for sale that have been painted by the sculptor (Mr. Hiroki Hyashi) himself. Prices go as high up to 75,000 YEN! :(

check out the models! akala mo tutoong tao. Cool!

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I wonder if any are available locally. I need a break from olive drab paint.

hello guys....

my problem seems to be the same as what some of you have described. it was something that my dad and I did when I was little. main interest was the jet fighters.

then of course life got busy.

couple of years ago - I decided to get back into my hobby. went in and bought a number of kits. but never got around to assembling them.

don't also want to give them away. and too busy to work on them. am wondering if someone can do it for me. I know that this is not how it supposed to be. but better than those kits going to waste.

any guns for hire?

whoa Taxi! you are one lucky dude, at least you are able to do some modelling!

seems a lot of you guys have the AMS. With the PE detail sets in armour I seem to find it too fidly to handle. you would need to solder it or heat and roll it to replicate the detail you want. dont want to invest in PE forming tools though. :) hope the plastic manufacturers would exploit the better plastic injection techniques so we could have more/better pronounced detail even in styrene form.

doc, your story reminded me when I was building my Tiger I and Panther. since Tamiya used to supply the vinyl (rubberband) tracks, I couldnt get the tracks to achieve a "natural sag". I tought, why not put glue on top of the road wheels where it touches the tracks and put a weight on top of the track to make it sag! I used rocks for that. hehe, for a high school kid selling models to his classmates pwede na! some of my friends said "uy okay, parang yung naka dispaly sa National Bookstore sa Quad!" hearing that made me smile, but deep inside I felt napakarami ko pang bigas na kakainin!

back in high school i was able to sell a King Tiger, a couple of Tiger Is and Panther (tamiya) and build and assemble an Italeri Marder III. those were the days, wala pa airbrush, pa gaangan lang ng hawak sa Tamiya spray can! :P

Ditto for the photoetch. One time I ordered an Aber photoetch set for my Italeri Puma. Footah! It has hinges and locks for the compartments. And the hinges are workable. But damned if I know where to hire the elves to bend and glue those things for me. It even came with a chain to be assembled. Off it went to the 'stash' to be completed when my eyesight gives out entirely.

Man, you were thinking of sagging the tracks way back then? I was happy just trying to heat the vinyl pins properly. A lot of my neighbors asked me to assemble their kits for them. I never thought of asking for a fee since I was too happy building. Ah the memories......

hello guys....

my problem seems to be the same as what some of you have described. it was something that my dad and I did when I was little. main interest was the jet fighters.

then of course life got busy.

couple of years ago - I decided to get back into my hobby. went in and bought a number of kits. but never got around to assembling them.

don't also want to give them away. and too busy to work on them. am wondering if someone can do it for me. I know that this is not how it supposed to be. but better than those kits going to waste.

any guns for hire?

Hahaha. You're tempting me... I could do it for as long as you can give me the paint... what kind of kits are they and what scale? I hope its not a 1/144 Goshawk.

Hi guys, I'm not into modelling but my 7 year old son is really interested with german tanks, panzers, stugs etc... probably because of playing battlefield 1942. He's never been a brat or asked for anything but when we passed by a model shop in virra mall he literally went bonkers when he saw the model tanks, planes and ships. I asked the lady there to get us a couple of tanks,a scenery set and infantry models and all that we need to build them so she added glue and paint. (had to return the infantry because I din't know that models could be that expensive) We went home and opened one tank box and read the instructions. It seemed pretty straightforward but after a while I noticed that most of the parts had to be glued as opposed to being snap on. I had to stop there because I knew that I was just going to mess everything up, I have difficulty assembling even his Zoids. :lol: Are there any models that are kid friendly perhaps those that have large parts? I've been looking for some whenever I pass by a model shop but I've yet to see something that looks easy enough to build. Or should I give up and buy a pre-built one instead? :lol: Thanks for any info.

Hi guys, I'm not into modelling but my 7 year old son is really interested with german tanks, panzers, stugs etc... probably because of playing battlefield 1942. He's never been a brat or asked for anything but when we passed by a model shop in virra mall he literally went bonkers when he saw the model tanks, planes and ships. I asked the lady there to get us a couple of tanks,a scenery set and infantry models and all that we need to build them so she added glue and paint. (had to return the infantry because I din't know that models could be that expensive) We went home and opened one tank box and read the instructions. It seemed pretty straightforward but after a while I noticed that most of the parts had to be glued as opposed to being snap on. I had to stop there because I knew that I was just going to mess everything up, I have difficulty assembling even his Zoids. :lol: Are there any models that are kid friendly perhaps those that have large parts? I've been looking for some whenever I pass by a model shop but I've yet to see something that looks easy enough to build. Or should I give up and buy a pre-built one instead? :lol: Thanks for any info.

Most model kits have to be glued with plastic cement sir. At 7 years of age, you will probably have to supervise him closely. Try to get the old Academy kits, or the new Trumpeter kits when it comes to armor/tanks. If your son is satisfied with 1/72 scale, then there is your answer. They are much cheaper than 1/35 kits, less complicated to build, and there are more and more choices of armor in 1/72 than ever before. Downside are small parts, which makes it easier to lose, put inside the mouth, and glue in the wrong place. I remember that Revell had some snap-tite kits, but they are very hard to find locally. Hope I have been of some help.

Most model kits have to be glued with plastic cement sir. At 7 years of age, you will probably have to supervise him closely. Try to get the old Academy kits, or the new Trumpeter kits when it comes to armor/tanks. If your son is satisfied with 1/72 scale, then there is your answer. They are much cheaper than 1/35 kits, less complicated to build, and there are more and more choices of armor in 1/72 than ever before. Downside are small parts, which makes it easier to lose, put inside the mouth, and glue in the wrong place. I remember that Revell had some snap-tite kits, but they are very hard to find locally. Hope I have been of some help.

Thankyou for pointing me to the right direction sir! By the way do model kits increase in value over time?

No-glue armor kits are quite difficult to find. There are more snap-on sci-fi kits available. But I do remember starting out on armor kits in the late 70's/early 80's, and gluing was not much of a problem as armor kits had larger parts compared to planes.

Maybe you and your son can build the kit together. Just supervise him on the gluing. It's better than buying pre-built as he gets to learn how it's put together and how it works (specially when you move up to the higher end armor kits with working suspension).

The key to great kits really is in the painting. I think you'll really need to do this for him with spray cans.

Enjoy!

Hello there! I think if your son likes modelling panzers you should get him Tamiya models. They are in my experience the best engineered and easiest to assemble. They also have the simplest of instruction sheets that even the most novice of modellers would have no trouble following. May I suggest that you get him the Sdkfz 222 armoured car or the Panzerkampwagen II (they come with four Afrika Korps troopers and a tank crewman! :cool: )to start with.

Also, please be careful with handling of cutting tools, your son could get hurt. It would be best you are at his side for the duration of his kit building. You make me reminisce when my dad first introduced me to modelling when i was 6! :) built our first PT boat 1/72 scale! am sure it would be a great bonding experience for you and your son because you'd be doing models for the first time. you may even get hooked to it! :cool:

good luck and give us updates!

Hello there! I think if your son likes modelling panzers you should get him Tamiya models. They are in my experience the best engineered and easiest to assemble. They also have the simplest of instruction sheets that even the most novice of modellers would have no trouble following. May I suggest that you get him the Sdkfz 222 armoured car or the Panzerkampwagen II (they come with four Afrika Korps troopers and a tank crewman! :cool: )to start with.

Also, please be careful with handling of cutting tools, your son could get hurt. It would be best you are at his side for the duration of his kit building. You make me reminisce when my dad first introduced me to modelling when i was 6! :) built our first PT boat 1/72 scale! am sure it would be a great bonding experience for you and your son because you'd be doing models for the first time. you may even get hooked to it! :cool:

good luck and give us updates!

You're right about the Tamiya 1/35 armor kits, especially the ones circa 1970s/80s. The engineering way back then was very good and kept as idiot-proof as possible. In fact, the joke about Tamiya kits was all you would have to do is cut all the parts from the sprues, put it back inside the box, add a little glue, shake it and presto! The kit assembles itself! While I don't care too much about the accuracy, the fact that these were made to be motorized throws some of the dimensions off. Now you would have to fill in all the motorization cutouts too and the figures included are too short (the legs need to be stretched. But the most irritating thing is the price. They are old old kits that have been surpassed in quality by the new Academy, Trumpeter and DML yet they still remain quite expensive. And to think they are made in Cebu!

One other thing. Whenever I read the warning in the box of a model kit like 'ten years or older' I used to think this referred to the age of the one who would build the kit. Now I realize that this refers to the time it would take me to build and complete the kit.

Hahaha. You're tempting me... I could do it for as long as you can give me the paint... what kind of kits are they and what scale? I hope its not a 1/144 Goshawk.

great that I have at least been able to tempt u.

of course, you should have a say on which models you wanna work on. paint will certainly be on me.

will get back to what kits I have as well as the scale. mostly the ones that were either with my country's airforce and I used to watch them land and take off when I was little. I may even have one for a mig-21 which I saw being shot down and the enemy pilot bailing out.

memories. memories. memories.

One other thing. Whenever I read the warning in the box of a model kit like 'ten years or older' I used to think this referred to the age of the one who would build the kit. Now I realize that this refers to the time it would take me to build and complete the kit.

Haha! You hit the nail right smack in the head with that!!! :D

Thankyou for pointing me to the right direction sir! By the way do model kits increase in value over time?

Some kits do tend to increase in value but very rarely. As long as the molds have not been destroyed then the kit can be recycled and produced. This is what Tamiya has been doing for the longest time with their plant in Cebu. There are some Revell 1/32 airplane molds that have supposedly been lost when the ship transporting it sank. And the Tristar 1/48 Fw-190 old kits have sold for several dollars more since the molds were new at that time. For collectors, an out of production kit would always increase in value but again, there is no ready market except maybe for e-bay. So its pretty dicey if you want to just keep a model kit and hope over the years it will increase in value. It might be better to go to e-bay and look at what is hot selling then put it for sale.

great that I have at least been able to tempt u.

of course, you should have a say on which models you wanna work on. paint will certainly be on me.

will get back to what kits I have as well as the scale. mostly the ones that were either with my country's airforce and I used to watch them land and take off when I was little. I may even have one for a mig-21 which I saw being shot down and the enemy pilot bailing out.

memories. memories. memories.

some of the kits that i could dig out of my closet are;

1. Starfighter F104 Scale 1:32 Make Revell

2. U2 R Scale 1:48 Make Italeri

3. Mirage 2000C Scale 1:48 Make Italeri

4. F86 Sabre Scale 1:48 Make Academy

5. Sukohi SU-27 1:72 Make Italeri

any that may interest you enough?

some of the kits that i could dig out of my closet are;

1. Starfighter F104 Scale 1:32 Make Revell

2. U2 R Scale 1:48 Make Italeri

3. Mirage 2000C Scale 1:48 Make Italeri

4. F86 Sabre Scale 1:48 Make Academy

5. Sukohi SU-27 1:72 Make Italeri

any that may interest you enough?

Hey thanks. Would have considered the 1/48 and 1/32 kits but the finishes, except for the Mirage 2000C are quite difficult (Natural Metal Finish and Black) so I'm sorry, got to pass on this list. Anyone?

You mentioned these are kits of your country's air force. Are you Indian?

good line of thinking - but how could I be when indian never had acceess to US technologies until recently - they could not have had f86s or f104s. and never ever u2s.

ps: not all these and other were in my country's airforce. some operated out of there. and some u had to watch out for as they were on the other side!

my 1st post of my workl

it's a challenger 2 w/ dozer blade (Op. Telic)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/duff_beer_ph/2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/duff_beer_ph/scan0003.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/duff_beer_ph/scan0001.jpg

trumpeter kit :)

Nice work on the Trump kit. I thought it was the Tamiya kit at first. I would have made mine more weathered. It's a good way for me to disguise my assembly and painting mistakes. More pix please!

good line of thinking - but how could I be when indian never had acceess to US technologies until recently - they could not have had f86s or f104s. and never ever u2s.

ps: not all these and other were in my country's airforce. some operated out of there. and some u had to watch out for as they were on the other side!

Then you are Taiwanese. The Mirage 2000 threw me off. I didn't know Taiwan operated them. Shows you how much I know. Not all of the kits have ROC markings. Wouldn't it be cool if the decals could be found and the planes built as ROC birds?

I always thought that the Mirage 2000 was a cool jet:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fe/Les_Chevaliers_du_ciel_poster.jpg/441px-Les_Chevaliers_du_ciel_poster.jpg

Edited by Dr_PepPeR