Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

hi guys Im new...

Sorry but are there any detail freaks out there who can help me out? Heres my dilemma:

I'm building a 1/35 scale diorama of the Ardennes offensive...the German side. The setting is a forest clearing, I got peiper and his commanders talking beside a schimwagen, two 501 albeitlung king tigers fueling and loading, a panther, a tankette. A bunch of Falschirmer loafing around checking theor weapons, smoking. Heres the problem:

I got a Jagdtiger in the corner...I cant rest until this is historically accurate e. The american accounts from that battle did not mention any Jagdtigers, and Ive been criticized by my

American pals for it (what do they know?) but some website I found say that of the 40 or so Jagdtigers manufactured, at least one was sent to the Ardennes and attached to the 501st. Most likely this particular tank probably broke down before seeing any action but I need to know if it was there at all -- the diorama just wont cut it without this Jagdtiger. Oh and those American soldiers accounted for all the Jagdtiger wrecks with the exception of two...maybe one of them is this one I made hehe.

Any battle of the bulge freaks out there? Thanks in advance for your help

btw guys, do you know where i can get a decent 1/35 V150 kit around here? Thanks

I'm not too sure if a Jagdtiger was with Peiper when he was spearheading the German assault. You could try posting your question on the axis forum of Missing Links but anyway as far as I know there are no plastic injection kits available for the Cadillac Gage V150. A Philippine Marine officer actually cast in resin a V150 and posted it in a website but I forgot where it is now. Perhaps IPMS can convince Trumpeter to do a series of the Cadillac Gage AFVs in plastic soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not too sure if a Jagdtiger was with Peiper when he was spearheading the German assault. You could try posting your question on the axis forum of Missing Links but anyway as far as I know there are no plastic injection kits available for the Cadillac Gage V150. A Philippine Marine officer actually cast in resin a V150 and posted it in a website but I forgot where it is now. Perhaps IPMS can convince Trumpeter to do a series of the Cadillac Gage AFVs in plastic soon.

everyone in that forum says there is no evidence of jagdtigers attached to pieper's units, but I am hoping that someone out there might have evidence to the contrary...no evidence does not necessarily mean it wan't there right? Since the the huns were trying to rush things and practically snatching up everything their factories could make/repair and sending them to the front line ---including hetzers, prototypes, captured allied equipment...wouldn't someone throw in the jagdtiger if it was available? The 501st were short a couple of tigers right? Sana somebody came upon reports to the contrary and shared them here. Thanks Doc

Why not try building it urself........it will be fun at di naman mahirap yun although nakaka pagod din sa umpisa :thumbsupsmiley:

actually i tried, pero hindi ako satisfied with my work, gusto ko sana magpagawa para may naikukumparahan ako. madami nako nagawa, im into wwII tanks, dios, vignettes, at mga tao tao, pero hindi ako satisfied sa mga natapos ko...

meron ba kayo masusugests na site or forum para makapulot ako mga tips...

actually i tried, pero hindi ako satisfied with my work, gusto ko sana magpagawa para may naikukumparahan ako. madami nako nagawa, im into wwII tanks, dios, vignettes, at mga tao tao, pero hindi ako satisfied sa mga natapos ko...

Try visiting the site below and im sure na marami kang matututunan sa scale modeling.....alam ko ay may mga workshop din sila....

http://www.ipmsphilippines.com

I respectfully nominate Herr Boelcke, he does the most amazing things with his kits. He might be pursuaded to build one on commission. If you're into armor, I suggest you take a look at the following sites:

www.missing-lynx.com

perth military modeling society

armorama

One question: where can I buy some Testors brand enamel spray paint or Gunze Sangyo acrylic bottle paint in Manila? Need to find some to detail some untis I'm modifying.

I haven't seen any Testors enamel spray paint here in a long long time. Some Gunze Sangyo acrylic bottles can be found in Special Toys and Hobbies. They have branches in Festival Mall, Ali Mall, Virra Mall, SM City North and in Raon.

Here are some pics from the on-going IPMS-Bert Anido Nationals.

The event runs from today, Nov 26, up to Thursday, Nov 29. Punta na!!

Before opening:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2072a.jpg

Mahigpit labanan sa cars ngayon. Some notable entries:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2075a.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2076a.jpg

Mahigpit din ang labanan sa 1/100 aircraft. Please note, this is 1/144 scale:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2073a.jpg

Very well detailed ship:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2077a.jpg

Pearl Harbor dio:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/springload/SP_A2078a.jpg

More pics later.

:)

interested in taking a hobby like that,how do i start?where do i buy? thnx.

I haven't seen any Testors enamel spray paint here in a long long time. Some Gunze Sangyo acrylic bottles can be found in Special Toys and Hobbies. They have branches in Festival Mall, Ali Mall, Virra Mall, SM City North and in Raon.

Thanks for the heads up, time to buy some gunze and alcohol thinner :thumbsupsmiley:

bro gusto ko sana mag hobby ng scale modeling or diorama,how do i start ba? thnx

You might want to buy a few cheap kits, but it will depend on what your interests are. There are military aircraft, armored fighting vehicles, gundam, airliners, figures, cars, ships etc. Some of the cheaper kits are the old Academy and old Tamiya kits as well as Trumpeter brands. Start assembling them and try to paint them if you can. Look around in the internet in sites like hyperscale, aircraftresourcecenter, missing-lynx, finescalemodeler and imps-bac and you can find several how-to articles there.

interested in taking a hobby like that,how do i start?where do i buy? thnx.

Marami pang mga Hobby stores na di kasama below (Greenhills San Juan, Makati Cinema Square, Raon Manila)

1. Lil's Hobby Center - TRINOMA

Level M2, TriNoma

EDSA corner North Avenue,

Quezon City 1105

Philippines

Telephone Number: 916 6340

E-mail: info@lilsfutaba.com

2. Lil's Hobby Center - SM MEGAMALL

Bldg. A Basement, SM Megamall

EDSA cor. Doña J Vargas St.

Mandaluyong City,

Metro Manila

Philippines

Telephone Number: 633 6358

Fax Number: 816 1601

3. Lil's Futaba - PARK SQUARE

Park Square 1 G/F

Ayala Center

Makati City

Metro Manila

Philippines

Telephone Number: 819 1646

4. JMN's Hobby Square

P-8 Second Floor

Harrizon Plaza Bldg.

Malate, Manila

Philippines

Tel# 5257278

5. Special Toys Center

Eastwood Citywalk 2

Libis

Quezon City

Philippines

Tel# 6873326

6. Special Toys & Hobbies

2nd Floor Ali Mall Bldg.

Araneta Commercial Center

Cubao

Quezon City

Philippines

I respectfully nominate Herr Boelcke, he does the most amazing things with his kits. He might be pursuaded to build one on commission. If you're into armor, I suggest you take a look at the following sites:

www.missing-lynx.com

perth military modeling society

armorama

Uy, teka, teka. I used to build on commission, but now halos di na. Especially now na palipat na kami ng house. Havent completed a kit for the last few months.

:blush:

This is what you do...decide first on what you want to concentrate on...one project at a time. Aircraft and ships would be a little more difficult than armour:

1. research -- go over photographs, history records, pictures of the finished scale models by other people and then decide how you want to do the model; the more detailed you can imagine it the better;

2. look for a similar but cheap kit of the same model of the same scale, like I buy some academy kits for practice ---

3. prep it, paint and assemble it; doesn't have to be neat but the point is for you to familiarize yourself with the scale model and problems you may have making it --- I, for example have attached elevators the wrong way in my first p-51 and UH 1....do this para lumabas lahat nang problema

4. decide if you're gonna need extras --- extra equipment, detailed resin part upgrades, is some fabrication necessary? and then make a grocery list of everything you need and purchase everyrhing, don't start until you have all the equipment;

5. purchase your real kit and work on it---ayan may experience ka na, you can give the practice model to some street kid, if it really looks bad you can even blow it up :) :) :)

I know some people who can do their practice kit as well as their real kit, a quick glance won't tell you which is which.

Hope this helps

Does anybody know where I can get Philippine air force decals?

Also I'd like to ask around if the Philippine Air Force had any Douglas Skyraiders (Sandy)? I'd like to make one in PAF markings...nakita ko so far Texans lang e.

You can go over the site below to see all the PAF planes placed in service:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/batwentyone/

For decals, you can try searching the internet, or just buy blank decal film and print them. Please go back a few pages for instructions on how to print your own decals.

You could also mask and paint the logos on.

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year Guys!

Doc, have your relatives blown up your box of old scale models yet?

Edited by floppydrive

Meatball6,

Years ago our club created a team to make PAF decals for IPMS-Bert Anido members. They were, without exaggeration, the most accurate PAF decals ever made that I know of. One of the consultants was a retired PAF general who helped standardize the PAF winged diamond. Sadly, the team didnt make any more decals after that, and the decals themselves (even bits of it) have become very very hard to find.

We still have members who do PAF decals on their own, though. One is Tauguair, who even designs what-if PAF decals for printing via computer.

You can still buy PAF decals off the net, though. Hi Decal of Poland makes 1/72 markings for a PAF F-86D (Item HD72036). Superscale used to sell markings for 1/72 PAF P-51 Mustang, and 1/48 and 1/72 PAF F-5A Freedom Fighter, but theyre no longer in circulation. Cutting Edge Decals came out with a 1/48 decal set for a PAF OV-10A Bronco.

A local company -- Crusader Decals --- issued their one and only product --- PAF winged diamonds, back in the late 90s. But you can hardly see a copy of this now.

There are also kits with Philippine markings. Airfix recently re-issued thei BN Islander/Defender kit with Philippine Navy decals. You can order this through JMNs Hobby Shop. Fujimi also came out with a two-in-one F-86 kit, one of which is in PAF markings.

Hope this helps.

You can go over the site below to see all the PAF planes placed in service:

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/batwentyone/

For decals, you can try searching the internet, or just buy blank decal film and print them. Please go back a few pages for instructions on how to print your own decals.

You could also mask and paint the logos on.

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year Guys!

Doc, have your relatives blown up your box of old scale models yet?

They didn't have time to go through my bin of old scale models, they were too busy experimenting with those new fangled imported pyrotechnics, so I guess they get mothballed for another year. I met a pinoy once in Hyperscale who made his own PAF decals with an Alps printer, his first name was Homer, and he was generous enough to print me some PAF decals for the camoed F-5 which I still have not gone around to building (I'm using the 1/48 Italeri kit). Anyway, I once saw a sheet of 1/48 PAF Crusader markings (the ones done in two-tone camo before they got scrapped due to the Mount Pinatubo eruption) in Roel's Hobbies and Comics shop in Cinema Square. He was selling it for about P1,200.00 which I thought was too much (even with that bit of resin to make it an authentic PAF Crusader) so I passed on it, even if I had tbe Revell 1/48 Crusader kit waiting for those decals. Yes, some PAF decal sheets are available thru the internet but sometimes the shipping costs makes me wonder if it is really worth it. On another note, what I'd really like to do is build 1/35 kits of all the vehicles used by the Philippine Marines, and I'm getting there, I mean I'm buying kits with this in mind. My latest addition is the AFV Club LVTP 5, and I'm being optimistic that in my lifetime I will be able to do the decals for this, and that some mainstream manufacturer will do the Cadillac Gage Commando series in plastic. Hope rests eternal.

Doc,

Youre right, I missed out on the F-8 markings.

I know Homer; he also visits the IPMS-BA forumboards every now and then. Also gave me the low-viz (black) PAF F-5A markings, as well as Phil Navy and PAF seals for 1/72.

Im currently cleaning up a 1/72 V-150 which I hope I could build into a PMC vehicle in urban camo. Its a resin copy (sort of second prototype) of a styrene master I made years ago. Couldnt get someone to cast it in resin on a commercial scale, though. As for the LVTP in 1/72, I gave up on that fantasy years ago. :D Buti ka pa, 1/35. I couldnt shift to 1/35 anymore. Got really enthused in 1/72.

Doc,

Youre right, I missed out on the F-8 markings.

I know Homer; he also visits the IPMS-BA forumboards every now and then. Also gave me the low-viz (black) PAF F-5A markings, as well as Phil Navy and PAF seals for 1/72.

Im currently cleaning up a 1/72 V-150 which I hope I could build into a PMC vehicle in urban camo. Its a resin copy (sort of second prototype) of a styrene master I made years ago. Couldnt get someone to cast it in resin on a commercial scale, though. As for the LVTP in 1/72, I gave up on that fantasy years ago. :D Buti ka pa, 1/35. I couldnt shift to 1/35 anymore. Got really enthused in 1/72.

Actually, I envy you because I wish I could shift to 1/72, with all the new kits (especially armor) coming out in braille scale. Unfortunately, eyesight and hand/eye coordination are a big issue at my age. When someone gives me a solution to masking the canopy of a 1/72 Bf-109, I will go back to building my 1/72 aircraft and choppers.

Actually, I envy you because I wish I could shift to 1/72, with all the new kits (especially armor) coming out in braille scale. Unfortunately, eyesight and hand/eye coordination are a big issue at my age. When someone gives me a solution to masking the canopy of a 1/72 Bf-109, I will go back to building my 1/72 aircraft and choppers.

I know what you are talking about, if you think the BF-109 cockpit is a nuisance, you should try the Ju-87 Stuka or the Zero in 1/72. You know what I did? I bought one of those Chinese factory assembled 1/72 109's in Toys R us and grafted the cockpit to my 109. Looks ok naman.