Philosphy: What Are Your Beliefs/ideology?

I've always leaned towards Existentialism. It all started during my first philo class way back in college. My thesis topic was even about Existentialism. At one point, I also got interested in Nihilism and Friedrich Nietzsche.

With regards to religion, i'd choose spirituality over religion, though I learn from Buddhist teachings too.

Nihilism is good for when you want to seem cool for having no interests or ambitions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Happiness is not always everything. There is a thin line between happiness and hedonism. To do what is right sometimes you got to sacrifice the things that make you happy.

Pain is not always a bad thing. Pain keeps you motivated, it makes you angry, it keeps you awake, it forces you to struggle. Without any struggle there can be no growth. Best of all, pain reminds you that you are still alive and can turn things around. So embrace your pain.

• 4 months later...

i believe in absolute truth something that i experience in life, what i see is what i get, i dont believe in religion, it doesnt make any sense to me..the world is run by powerful and rich people.. most of the people are modern day slaves.. control the salary.. then you control the labor.. you control much of their time.. they have no money.. they submit to employment.. life is going to be harder for the future generations..

• 1 month later...

I support existentialism, you make your own destiny, noone to be blamed but yourself.

There is also the underlying principle of existentialism that evokes action as one is solely responsible for giving meaning to life and to live it passionately and sincerely.

... Easier said than done I guess. But who's to fault someone from earnestly striving to lead a existential way of life. Even if everyone takes a different path in life, the destination everyone strives to reach is after all the same - A life well lived and meaningful.

Edited by Unwritten

I believe in the good of people. Religion is the most successful mafia in this world. God giving us Free Will, yet there is already a path for each of us that God supposedly made. If the whole game is fixed, then what are we doing with our lives? Living it for his entertainment? You don't exactly need a god to be good. You just need to decide for yourself to be good. To do good. To spread kindness. You can do that on your own, as a human being. We know what's right and wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather have faith than hope or religion.

Religion is an institution.

Hope is a beggar. It is the last thing you will cling on even when you know it won't happen.

Faith.. it's just there..unquestionable.. unfathomable.

Hope will make you rush through the flames while Faith will make you leap over it.

Edited by ej_qn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The philosophy of pragmatism "emphasizes the practical application of ideas by acting on them to actually test them in human experiences

[A young graduate] began by saying that he had always taken for granted that when you entered a philosophic classroom you had to open relations with a universe entirely distinct from the one you left behind you in the street. The two were supposed, he said, to have so little to do with each other, that you could not possibly occupy your mind with them at the same time. The world of concrete personal experiences to which the street belongs is multitudinous beyond imagination, tangled, muddy, painful and perplexed. The world to which your philosophy-professor introduces you is simple, clean and noble.

The contradictions of real life are absent from it. [...] In point of fact it is far less an account of this actual world than a clear addition built upon it [...] It is no explanation of our concrete universe (James 1907, pp. 8–9)

I'd rather be known as someone who is kind than someone who is religious.

As it turns out, hindi religion at tindi ng faith mo ang makapagsasabi o makapagdidikta kung isa kang mabuting tao but your actions.

Some people only use religion as their redemption and/or excuse to sin.

Their logic would be:

"Gumawa ako ng masama, ipagdadasal ko para mapatawad ako at matanggap pa rin ako sa langit. For sure mapapatawad naman ako kasi nagdasal ako ngayon."

instead of

"Gumawa ako ng masama, hangga't maaari ay hindi ko na uulitin at hihingi ng tawad sa taong naatraso ko. Ipapakita at ipaparamdam ko na nagsisisi ako sa nagawa kong kasalanan at hangga't maaari ay babawi ako."

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...