Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

dsl kasi broad band lang dati ang gamit ko..tas nag shift ako sa dsl ..ayun nakita ko yung kaibahan.. :thumbsupsmiley:

broadband and dsl is one and the same... DSL is just a method of broadband transmission, just like 3G for Wireless. You may be talking on Wireless broadband that you have been using before and a wired broadband that you are using now. If you are referring to this, you are correct, Wired broadband, even though its at the same speed as a wireless broadband has much difference in transmission speeds. (e.g. 384 kbps Wireless vs 384 kbps Wired).

from wikipedia...

Broadband in telecommunications is a term that refers to a signaling method that includes or handles a relatively wide range of frequencies, which may be divided into channels or frequency bins. Broadband is always a relative term, understood according to its context. The wider the bandwidth, the greater the information-carrying capacity. In radio, for example, a very narrow-band signal will carry Morse code; a broader band will carry speech; a still broader band is required to carry music without losing the high audio frequencies required for realistic sound reproduction. A television antenna described as "normal" may be capable of receiving a certain range of channels; one described as "broadband" will receive more channels. In data communications a modem will transmit a bandwidth of 56 kilobits per seconds (kbit/s) over a telephone line; over the same telephone line a bandwidth of several megabits per second can be handled by ADSL, which is described as broadband (relative to a modem over a telephone line, although much less than can be achieved over a fiber optic circuit, for example).[1]

dsl talaga mas mabilis.. sa isp naman depende sa lugar mo pag metro manila pldt, in some provinces mas ok ptt/dig one..

Ayos ang discussions nyo dito. To be honest nung ginagawa pa namin yung AVP ng Destiny Internet, and tagline namin non 100 times faster than dial up connection. Totoo naman....sa simula pero dung dumami na yung mga subscribers namin bumagal na din yung speed ng downloading and uploading. Don't know exactly kung ano yung rate namin at that time pero we were recieving a number of complaints. But in fairness, talagang mabilis sya noon. I don't know how it is today kasi halos 4 years na ako wala sa Destiny and besides nag merged pa sila with Global which can effect the transmission of signal both the cable tv and cable internet services.

DSL or Cable Technology?

It depends sa location and population ng users sa area.

DSLs available bandwidth diminishes as the farther you go from your provider. So may limit lang ung distance na kayang i-provide ng provider.

Cable Technology has shared bandwidth, good if you have only few subscribers in an area.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hahaha natatwa ako, kc nasa ccna book itong question na ito. if i remember correctly, cable is better if you have low population in the cable carrier, parang hub, pero when the population gets higher the slower connection you get. kc sa cable connection, a certain amount of BW lang ang available and from this medium kakabit ang mga clients (aka ikaw) so mas maraming may same cable connection sa area d sukcier the speed.

however...

sa adsl naman kc as per meron tinatawag na certain agreement, na nakalimutan ko na, na nagssabi na dapat ang BW na nadedeliver ng ISP company is at least, pede mag vary, pero dapat almost teh same speed na binabayaran mo. so for example ang binabayaran mo ay 512, pede sya magkaroon ng variance prolly lower kc sa traffic, pero hindi sya pede bumaba ng sobra.

ill add my comments uli tomorrow on this, hanapin ko sa book ule hahaha

*PS paki correct nga po ako kung mali ty

Edited by Anubis13
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was a subscriber of Verizon sa tate sa DSL nila they've provided me with DSL Phone Filters... this will filter the hiss and interference thru phone lines... the filters looks similar to the linked image...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21%20T20c2jXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Image Link: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21%2...L500_AA240_.jpg

=====================================================

I couldn't have explained any better.

In addition, what you actually paying for specially for residential service( 999 and similar packages) is simply the highway and not your constant actual speed but the maximum speed that you can get any any given time.

Some tips for those who will are planning to subscribe to any DSL provider.

1. Ask around, ask your neighbors how is their telephone service. Whether PLDT, BAyantel, globe etc..... If the telephone service sucks... like frequent no dial tone, hissing, echo, statics, crossline etc. Chances are your DSL service will suffer the same. Why? because voice and DSL uses the same outside plant or cables ( the one that you see hanging from the post) facilities.

2. Lets say you had made a choice, ask the installer how far is your place to the Central Office or switching station. Maximum effective distance w/ minimun loss in speed is 5 kilometers w/o passing thru a cross connect cabinet ( the big metal boxes you see on the road side) if its more than and or it will pass one or several cabinets.. I suggest you cancel. you can expect problems.

3. The more splices between your place and the switching station equals bigger headaches.

4. Ask the installer how far are you from the terminal box ( rectangular box you see at the post). if it is more than one cable roll, ask the installer if there is any other nearer. w/o splicing another roll. (normally they charge additional if extra roll is added).

5. Watch your installer while they are laying the cable from the terminal to your house. make sure they use fresh cable from your place to the terminal box. If you see they just splice to an existing wire at the post between your place to the box. Demand that they use new cable. ( gimik nila yan to earn extra by selling the cable.)

The farther you are from the switching station, the slower the speed will be. Regardless of provider.

If the telephone service of your potential provider sucks in your location, the DSL service will most probably sucks.

If you really want fast DSL service, get a higher bandwith and or with a guaranteed C.I.R... normally business packages has this.

Lastly, dont rely on their after sales tech service support. Unless your provider's field tech support are direct company employees( not sure if any does) don't expect fast action. Almost all have a pool of Contractual Service Crews. And communication between the service crew, provider, call center customer service also sucks. Thats why the delay. And its alway almost true to all service provider. :evil:

So to avoid head aches... ask those questions and watch them install...

Edited by tabolits
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CABLE internet..skybroadband to be exact.. so far no problems sa dl and games.. :)

Hi! just wandering around, I have internet cafe and we have two internet provider, kaso nga lang yung globe for the past two months na eh! walang connection, sabi for upgrading daw. mandaluyong kami and I'm thinking if we can switch to skybroadband di ko lang lam kung ok ito sa location namin? San ba location mo? can you give more details regarding skybroadband kung paano kami makakapag subscribe and its performance? We have ten pc so far. thanks!:)

• 4 weeks later...

imho, pareho lang yan. ang pinagkaiba lang nyan is yung CIR rate na pipirmahan mo as subscriber and the method of how data is transmitted and how the telco delivers it and performs customer and technical services.

i had bad experiences for both cable and DSL, so wala akong kinikilingan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mydsl pldt really sucks almost 2 weeks now they cant fix the problem in my internet shop, at the moment i temporary closed my shop due to this problem ( intermittent from fast to slow). I dont want to suffer my costumer kaya nagclosed muna ako .CALLING THE ATTENTION OF PLDT MY DSL , IF YOU CANT FIX , I THINK ITS BETTER TO SHIFT NOW TO ANOTHER OPTIONS.

• 4 weeks later...

Technically speaking, cable internet is faster, if you are near the source provider. Otherwise, ADSL would be faster because the telephone lines has long been established.

pero if you're paying 1-2 mbps lng, go for ADSL kc ndi naman nila nalilimit ung bandwidth na binibigay sayo. case in point: i'm paying for 3 mbps but i get 5 mbps sa caloocan monumento area. not sure w/ the cable internets though.

pero lately, the service has sucked so bad, and i'm opting to reach 6mbps through skynet. unfortunately, ndi pa daw servicable ung area ng caloocan.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using Globe Broadband. My location is Sta. Maria, Bulacan and I have the 1Mbps wireless plan. Only had it for 2 weeks. Globe has 2 annoying issues:

- My browser (whether IE8, Google Chrome or FireFox) always returns a "page cannot be displayed" error after I click on any "Sign in" or Log in button. Buti n lng may remember me option :glare:

- Upload is non-existent. Mag-upload k lang ng pic s facebook error n. speedtest.net confirms this also. The site returns an error saying "uploading test failed" (or something like that). The DL speed is good minsan 1.2 Mbps p nga eh kaso ung uploading function really ticks me off. Parang one way street lang talaga.

Avoid globe muna if you're near my area. I'll post updates here if Globe fixes it.