Clothes Make The Man? Or Man Makes The Clothes?

dragonei

• 3 weeks later...

From the perspective of women, clothes make the man. Believe it or not it's more important for a man to dress well. Men aren't particular with how a women dress (we're more particular with face value, body, appearance) but women place high importance on how a man dresses. A man's fashion sense is the window into his lifestyle. If you dress shabbily you'll appear (to women) as if you don't need to dress well because you don't regularly interact with high society.

You don't have to buy branded naman kasi. Ang importante lang in dressing well is color and fit. It can be a 168 polo and pants but if it fits like a glove and the color matches, that can be considered dressing well na.

I think its still the man who makes the clothes since clothes don't define you but its you who define your clothes. Of course, good hygiene and getting fit also helps. However, its no excuse of neglecting what you wear. It doesn't have to get fancy but it should match your lifestyle and fit your physique. Wearing sloppy clothes just tells people around you that you just don't care. They say that fashion is the ultimate expression of yourself because it affects how you project yourself to the world. Believe me, it really makes a difference on how you interact regardless its the same or the opposite sex. I experienced it first hand when I go to work not dressing up properly because I hadn't had enough rest the day before. I get extra inspection tokens from guards compared to when I was able to pick out the right clothes.

• Like (+1) 1

I think its still the man who makes the clothes since clothes don't define you but its you who define your clothes. Of course, good hygiene and getting fit also helps. However, its no excuse of neglecting what you wear. It doesn't have to get fancy but it should match your lifestyle and fit your physique. Wearing sloppy clothes just tells people around you that you just don't care. They say that fashion is the ultimate expression of yourself because it affects how you project yourself to the world. Believe me, it really makes a difference on how you interact regardless its the same or the opposite sex. I experienced it first hand when I go to work not dressing up properly because I hadn't had enough rest the day before. I get extra inspection tokens from guards compared to when I was able to pick out the right clothes.

Aba matinde :) bangis mo pala mag english friend ah nosebleed ako pero infairness na gets ko lol joke lang.

naks. I strongly agree sabi ko nga sayo. Nasa nagdadala yan and nkikita sa pananamit ang personality ng isang tao.

minsan naman kht di mahal ung clothes nsa nagdadala mukha ng orig lol. :)

I learned that the hard way. Before I was just a t-shirt/jeans/chucks guy. Ill-fitting pa mga suot ko dati. My clothes were a bit loose. I wasn't raised to give a premium on clothes naman kasi.

Eventually as I worked with more people from the upper circles I changed the way I dressed. How could I not? Nagpaparinig mga tao even some of my close female friends that I should dress more appropriately. "Slim Fit Button Downs" became the predominant clothes in my wardrobe. I had all of my pants tailored to fit and I had more leather shoes than athletic shoes.

Your impact on people is different. Try talking to a random girl at Starbucks or Fully Booked while wearing baggy t-shirts v. bespoke polos. I tried it na. Was just given a smile when I dressed poorly but when I dressed well they're open to having long conversations with you.

Edited by kannon

Aba matinde :) bangis mo pala mag english friend ah nosebleed ako pero infairness na gets ko lol joke lang.

naks. I strongly agree sabi ko nga sayo. Nasa nagdadala yan and nkikita sa pananamit ang personality ng isang tao.

minsan naman kht di mahal ung clothes nsa nagdadala mukha ng orig lol. :)

Friend sakot lang! Syempre minsan kailangan din iexercise and dollar spoken natin diba? Baka mawala yung muscles!

:ninja: Anyways Syempre kailangan carry mo para japorms! Di naman kailangan branded ang bilhin yung sakto lang!

Pero syempre dapat wag naman sobrang pabaya sa suot! :ninja:

• Like (+1) 1
  • 3 months later...

You definitely have to back it up with intelligence and charm. Good clothes give people high expectations of you. Mas malala ang disappointment if you fail to meet their expectations. Sabihan ka pang "flashy walang laman".

Also, try not to spend so much on branded clothes if it's beyond your means. Mahirap yung naka Zegna or Dunhill ka pero pag lumalabas cheapest item on the menu lang inoorder. Had an acquaintance na ganyan. Kumpleto blazer from Zara, naka Allan Edmonds etc. pero pag nasa bar SML lang inoorder kasi nagtitipid.

• 1 month later...

para sakin no. clothes don't make the man lalo na sa climate natin konti lang naman kailangan nating pieces. uncle ko nga president ng multinational simple barong lang everyday and company jacket. pero ang tindi. respected na respected.

pag medyo media siguro yung business mo or you deal with the public medyo pwede pa yung sumusunod sa uso. pero kung hindi naman. looking decent is enough. baka nga detriment pa yun sa career kung mahilig sa damit kasi frivolous.

• Like (+1) 1

para sakin no. clothes don't make the man lalo na sa climate natin konti lang naman kailangan nating pieces. uncle ko nga president ng multinational simple barong lang everyday and company jacket. pero ang tindi. respected na respected.

pag medyo media siguro yung business mo or you deal with the public medyo pwede pa yung sumusunod sa uso. pero kung hindi naman. looking decent is enough. baka nga detriment pa yun sa career kung mahilig sa damit kasi frivolous.

I hear ya! Si Steven Jobs nga di ba? Ano ba porma nya? Black turtleneck, faded jeans, tsaka world balance na sapatos. Pero isa sa pinakamatagumpay na CEO sa buong mundo. You can't achieve success based on what you cover your body with IMO. Most that you can do is leave a good first impression. Not that it isn't important. Pero kung Job interview halimbawa, ang bobo naman nag maghire sayo kung yung suot mo lang pagbabasehan nya.

Oh don't get me wrong please. I ain't saying na you should not look presentable. Of course you should dress up for the occassion. But for me, I do not believe so much in the idea that the clothes make the man. Suot ka ng suot ng mga designer pero di naman bagay pala sa anatomy mo, nagiging fashion victim lang kakalabasan mo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we can all argue all day long (all of us got good points), but it is the tailor that makes the man. my 2cents

I like this. Almost blatant but logical. Yet, in a manner of conciseness.

To justify the topic, (well, this may sound unlikely as this will appear like deviating from the topic itself but in any case, I’ll go on) it’s not whether the clothes can make one feel comfortable or vice-versa. It’s more on the tailor side who takes responsibility of everything (i.e. raw materials, preparation for either commercial use or otherwise, the fitting of the wearer, etc.).

Anyway, let’s see if I can take a pick.

I think it’s within us who carry the stuff. We have the freedom to choose anything that we like to wear. Be it on a conventional way or otherwise. We have the skills to be creative enough like why, what and when to wear any apparel that can make us feel and look wonderful. In other words, we have the control when to overpower and when to yield the trend of fashion. And the list goes on.

However, the clothes also have played a predominant role in our personality. They can be an element (or two) of the many factors to consider which can either enhance or worsen one’s individuality. So to conclude, the concept of this thread is something like nothing to choose from both sides. Since both elements are essential.

Edited by FleurDeLune
  • Like (+1) 1

Money can buy you fashion but not style. However the term style is relative. Some can dress very simple but presentable while others can be totally in a coat and tie. Some may even dress the same, example: I just wore a shirt, shorts and rubber shoes to the mall and I happen to pass by some "jologs" who were wearing the same format but to them it looked ridiculous and gangsta.

It will always be more on the person than the actual clothes itself.

Look at Anabelle Rama. Kahit anong designer isuot nya, kahit sabitan mo ng maraming ginto sa katawan. Kahit nga palibutan nya sarili nya ng kung sino sinong sikat na sosyal, eh lalabas at lalabas pa din ang pagiging palengkera nya. Maraming mga taong nagiging fashion victim dahil pipilitin isuot yung damit na di naman kaya dalhin. Tsaka di mo maloloko lahat ng tao. Meron makakakita na talagang trying hard ka lang.

On the flipside, meron mga tao na kahit ukay ukay lang nabili damit, kahit simpleng tee lang at faded jeans lang suot, eh nakakagawang magiwan ng magandang first impression sa ibang tao. Napakasimple lang ng damit, pero pag sinuot naman nung tao nagmumukhang mamahalin. Tignan nyo si Tom Cruise. 50 na mahigit yung tao. Kung tutuusin di naman kumplikado mga sinusuot nya. Pero basta suot na, nagmumukhang laging gawa ng pinakamagaling an designer.

For those who do not want to spend a lot on clothes, instead of buying cheap t-shirts or polo shirts several times during the year, I suggest saving the money instead to buy one or two high quality items that fit well. Sa akin lang ito, but you're not really doing yourself a favor if you keep on buying P300-P400 t-shirts several times during the year. Quality over quantity is the principle in building a wardrobe din.

Made the same mistake kasi dati. Bought several items from Old Navy, H&M etc. Nung binilang ko at the end of the day I spent around 16k for my entire wardrobe na pala. Yung 16k I could have just bought two polos and two trousers from Ralph Lauren and those could have lasted me for decades na.

• 2 weeks later...