Watching Ur Bp

ElPatayo

hi doc, im 37 male i consulted with a cardiologist a month ago and have my blood pressure at 133/88..he ordered lab test for me..results are as follows urca - 583 mmol chol - 5.9 mmol..he prescribe to me purinol 100 mg and lescol xl 80 mg...i have taken it for four weeks now and there is a significant decrease in these two test..after 4 weeks my chol is 3.5 and urc at 430 mmol..however i noticed that my bp elevated into 142/93 and since then i am monitoring my bp whcih is at normal level in the morning 128/83...i used to weight 88 kgs but im on daily waking routine for 45 minutes and eating a 2000 calories diet(was tryng to..) low salt and low fat, after a month im now at 86 kg...im still woring out to lower my weight by at least 5 kgs until january 2011..my question is that since my chol is at normal level will i asked my doctor when i will stop taking this medication..also i noticed that i feel weak after a month on thos medication and sometmes some chest pain and back pain...please advise

We need to qualify your chest pain as there are different types of chest pain and may point to different disease entity and would need further investigation. Chest pains described as "parang dinadaganan" or "parang tinutusok" if you can localized the pain and point with one finger then this could be costocondritis or inflammation of the costal cartilages or muscle if it were the former then we might be dealing with a more serious problem such as a form or heart attack. If this are muscle pain in your back this can be caused by your exercise or diet and weakness can be caused by low caloric intake. Your body might have not adjusted properly to the lower caloric intake diet your having to gain your ideal BMI. The ideal weigth loss would be 1 pound per week or a total of 4 pounds per month. Slowly but surely so as no adverse affect would happen to your body since you.ve been to this weight for the longest time. And mind you this coming christmas season since its very difficult to go on a diet.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way i think you can already stop your medications I only noticed that your uric acid is in mmol instead of umol is this accurate? And its important for you to monitor your BP. I noticed that your BP is 133/88 makes me think that your using a digital BP apparatus coz its not that accurate based on personal opinion I prefer mercurial but with the health hazard involved the the possibility of spilling mercury then you can use a reputable branded sphygmo like alpk2 which is made in japan or a welch allyn brand

By the way i think you can already stop your medications I only noticed that your uric acid is in mmol instead of umol is this accurate? And its important for you to monitor your BP. I noticed that your BP is 133/88 makes me think that your using a digital BP apparatus coz its not that accurate based on personal opinion I prefer mercurial but with the health hazard involved the the possibility of spilling mercury then you can use a reputable branded sphygmo like alpk2 which is made in japan or a welch allyn brand

im using the digital bp monitor, yes ur rite its umol..thanks for the advice..will talk to my physician after three weeks...

hi doc, im 37 male i consulted with a cardiologist a month ago and have my blood pressure at 133/88..he ordered lab test for me..results are as follows urca - 583 mmol chol - 5.9 mmol..he prescribe to me purinol 100 mg and lescol xl 80 mg...i have taken it for four weeks now and there is a significant decrease these two test..after 4 weeks my chol is 3.5 and urc at 430 mmol..however i noticed that my bp elevated into 142/93 and since then i am monitoring my bp whcih is at normal level in the morning 128/83...i used to weight 88 kgs but im on daily waking routine for 45 minutes and eating a 2000 calories diet(was tryng to..) low salt and low fat, after a month im now at 86 kg...im still woring out to lower my weight by at least 5 kgs until january 2011..my question is that since my chol is at normal level will i asked my doctor when i will stop taking this medication..also i noticed that i feel weak after a month on thos medication and sometmes some chest pain and back pain...please advise

Personally, I wouldn't stop anti-cholesterol drugs even though the cholesterol levels have normalized (with close monitoring, of course). Studies have shown that long-term effects of anticholesterol drugs (particularly the prevention of cholesterol plaque buildup in the arteries) can be achieved only after taking the drug for about 5 years. So consider it as something that you're taking for primary prevention - syempre, lesser cholesterol deposit in the arteries, lower risk for heart disease.

BTW, the Philippine Society of Hypertension recently did validation studies on the Omron SEM 1 and IA3 models and is actually recommending these devices for home BP monitoring. If you have no choice but to use a digital sphygmo at home, then better use one that's reliable.

Of course, we still encourage you to discuss your therapeutic options personally with your cardiologist. Hope this helps too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can change priorities and decide you want to be a health fanatic.

See a bunch of health fanatics at http://www.rawpaleoforum.com and see how many of them smoke.

- Personally, I never enjoyed smoking... pointless, no advantage.

- Personally, I think smoking is dirty and unhealthy.

- Personally, I think smokers are mere victims of advertising and are now addicted.

- Personally, most chicks don't like smoking, at least the chicks I mingle with.

You got to really want it and want it bad. I stopped smoking and never experienced any of the so-called withdrawal symptoms. I started smoking at 14 and decided to stop after 10 years. I've been clean for more than half a decade already. No cravings at all. It helps if you stay away from situations that makes it easy for you to smoke. Give everybody you mingle with an advance notice about your personal health crusade and ask them for support. Start a hobby. Find alternative stress-relieving activities like boxing. You got to really want to stop...

• 4 months later...

Mga bossing I know a lot of us are smoking and enjoying it alot. But is there someone like me that recently wants to stop smoking?

Before half pack lang ako a day, pero pansin ko ngaun, kaya ko kahit 2 packs depende kung ganu ako kastressed or bored.

HELLLLLPP!

You can take champix if you can't quit smoking on your own. Ask your doctor about it. I personaly know a lot of people who were able to quit because of this drug. Very very few side effects

since this is on topic, I would like to inquire also....

I have my bp taken and it was 140-90, should i be concerned??

I'm 35, 172 lbs and I stopped going to the gym because I had surgery in my pinkie finger, I will start going to the gym again hopefully to get back into the shape.....I went from 150lbs to 172 in 6 months, since I began taking this drink called MIRRUS, the one bought in sports shops....

:)

any advices other than going to the gym and pine apples??? heheheh

^

that bp reading of yours is a bit high. if you are back to your old exercise routine, i wouldn't be too concerned. in addition to the exercise, just try to eat better, avoid stress and continue to monitor your bp.

concern about your weight on the other hand should taken relative to your height. the ideal height for a man weighing 172 lbs is approximately 5'10". should you be shorter than this, then you are overweight. if this is true, i still don't think you should be concerned seeing that you are back hitting the gym.

^

that bp reading of yours is a bit high. if you are back to your old exercise routine, i wouldn't be too concerned. in addition to the exercise, just try to eat better, avoid stress and continue to monitor your bp.

concern about your weight on the other hand should taken relative to your height. the ideal height for a man weighing 172 lbs is approximately 5'10". should you be shorter than this, then you are overweight. if this is true, i still don't think you should be concerned seeing that you are back hitting the gym.

sir kanski,

I'm 5'11......and I will be hitting the gym starting today most probably then do it 3x a week for a month to cover the month that I was inactive due to my right pinkie operation...

thanks so much for the reply!!!

^

eh di underweight ka pala dati at 150 lbs. i think you are just fine weighing in at 172 lbs. your elevated bp is more stress-related than anything else. that means you should visit your favorite mp more often and relax. ;)

hahahahaha thanks for the tip sir....

I got my bp again yesterday and it's now 130-90.....

• 4 months later...

General rule at first is LIFESTYLE modification, like exercise and eating healthy. All the medication that you will take will amount to nothing if you don't at least control yourself and your diet. the best is to try to avoid salty food. Might want to read on (DASH) eating plan, recommend by most physicians and finally regular consults with you doctor. ^_^

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Baseline blood pressures are different for every indivuals. There are persons whose normal blood pressure is 90/60 mmHg, and there are also those persons whose normal blood pressure is 150/90 mmHg. The blood pressure of 120/80 mmHg is noot always normal for every person. Just an info... ^_^

Yes, this is true! let us take for instance with my father' s case, when he hits his bp to 140/90 mmhg, he is ok, since i have checked it. At first, takot na ako kasi ang baseline is 120/80 mmHg? I even ask him if he feels anything like dizziness or nanlalata, ok naman daw , i even have taken his bp twice to confirm nga yun (using aneriod sphygmomanometer) . he has not taken his med yet that time, so i urge him to take it already. am i doing the right thing?

I would like to ask if it normal na hindi marinig yung diastolic ng taong matataba kasi there are cases na pag matataba na kinukuhanan ko ng bp, minsan di ko marinig yung diastolic nila. Hindi naman maingay ang paligid pag kuha ko ng bp. Around five people na ganito case sa akin. Actually , yung dala kong aneroid sphymoma is calibrated, ok naman and regulator nya ok naman, ok naman tenga ko, in nag lilinis naman ng tenga ko hehe. At least once a week , linis tenga sa loob po ha hehe ( di daw advisable maglinis ng tenga daily). Anyway, tama ho ba ito? Thanks!

I would like to ask if it normal na hindi marinig yung diastolic ng taong matataba kasi there are cases na pag matataba na kinukuhanan ko ng bp, minsan di ko marinig yung diastolic nila. Hindi naman maingay ang paligid pag kuha ko ng bp. Around five people na ganito case sa akin. Actually , yung dala kong aneroid sphymoma is calibrated, ok naman and regulator nya ok naman, ok naman tenga ko, in nag lilinis naman ng tenga ko hehe. At least once a week , linis tenga sa loob po ha hehe ( di daw advisable maglinis ng tenga daily). Anyway, tama ho ba ito? Thanks!

you mean you still hear korotkoff sounds even until the BP meter reads zero? systolic BP is the first korotkoff sound (or bp sound) you hear, diastolic BP is when you hear the last korotkoff sound (meaning at the pressure when you don't hear the sounds anymore)

you mean you still hear korotkoff sounds even until the BP meter reads zero? systolic BP is the first korotkoff sound (or bp sound) you hear, diastolic BP is when you hear the last korotkoff sound (meaning at the pressure when you don't hear the sounds anymore)

Doc, hindi po ba yung first sound i hear is called systolic, ok narinig ko po iyon but then pag yung last sound na, hindi ko na po marinig, yes i believe yung last sound is called diastolic...