Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

boomouse

you ever tried the hackintosh on desktop? im thinking of making a spare pc desktop into a hackintosh running on the snow leopard .. ive seen how to vids on making netbooks hackintoshed .. but im interested in yr input

I have had several through the last two odd years. I've had a ruggedized Augmentyx (because there was no ruggedized Mac) running on one of the early Tiger hacks, several desktops from Qube Shuttles, to Gilmore Street specials running on EFIs from several sources that I can't remember anymore. My experience is consistently the same—you can never get a 100% working hack. Sometimes I got close and thought that "this is it!" but after some use, things start acting up. The more prevalent failures are the NICs and the wifi. Networking seems to be a very dicey operation. Then there is the graphics. Even if you use the same model that you know runs on a Mac Pro, there can be a difference in performance depending on the graphics card manufacturer. I even have had one from Palit overheat spectacularly after working so well for a few hours.

The most seamless OS installs and runs I have had were with the netbooks. The MSI Wind and its HP counterpart. But they were slooooow!

Its a good exercise, trying to do a hackintosh. You do learn a lot and doing it enough times, gives you a good idea of how Mac OS and Windows work differently. But I would not bet the farm and do a major project on a hackintosh. Too many things could suddenly go wrong right after they were going right. The ooohs and ahhs from friends are nice when they see a Windows box with the OSX dock. But I refused to install OSX on any of my friends' computers because I know I will end up handling the tech support on those things when they decide that it was time to go nuts.

But I must admit, the look on a friends face seeing Snow Leopard running on a P20k MSI Wind is priceless after he just flashed his new P100k Macbook Air. Good thing he didn't ask to try iMovie on it.

I have had several through the last two odd years. I've had a ruggedized Augmentyx (because there was no ruggedized Mac) running on one of the early Tiger hacks, several desktops from Qube Shuttles, to Gilmore Street specials running on EFIs from several sources that I can't remember anymore. My experience is consistently the same—you can never get a 100% working hack. Sometimes I got close and thought that "this is it!" but after some use, things start acting up. The more prevalent failures are the NICs and the wifi. Networking seems to be a very dicey operation. Then there is the graphics. Even if you use the same model that you know runs on a Mac Pro, there can be a difference in performance depending on the graphics card manufacturer. I even have had one from Palit overheat spectacularly after working so well for a few hours.

The most seamless OS installs and runs I have had were with the netbooks. The MSI Wind and its HP counterpart. But they were slooooow!

Its a good exercise, trying to do a hackintosh. You do learn a lot and doing it enough times, gives you a good idea of how Mac OS and Windows work differently. But I would not bet the farm and do a major project on a hackintosh. Too many things could suddenly go wrong right after they were going right. The ooohs and ahhs from friends are nice when they see a Windows box with the OSX dock. But I refused to install OSX on any of my friends' computers because I know I will end up handling the tech support on those things when they decide that it was time to go nuts.

But I must admit, the look on a friends face seeing Snow Leopard running on a P20k MSI Wind is priceless after he just flashed his new P100k Macbook Air. Good thing he didn't ask to try iMovie on it.

hmmm ok will keep that in mind thanks for the input

• 4 weeks later...

Is the I phone 4 available in Manila already? Where? How much? Thanks.

You have to ask Globe when it will be launched.

I am sure there are graymarket units floating around Greenhills and places like that (Alabang Town Center, Harrison Plaza) but be prepared to pay inflated prices to be an early adopter It does not make sense to spend close to P50k to be one of the first owners. Even for my jaded taste that's downright obscene.

guys naguupgrade ako sa mac osx leopard 10.5.8 from 10.5.2 kaya lang naghahang sya hindi tumutuloy sa installation. possible ba may problem sa hardware ng laptop ko pag ganun? anu kaya possible cause kapag hindi tumutuloy sa installation? hindi kasi ako makainstall ng safari 5 eh hindi ko din magamit itunes store pag hindi 10.5.8. help pls....

guys naguupgrade ako sa mac osx leopard 10.5.8 from 10.5.2 kaya lang naghahang sya hindi tumutuloy sa installation. possible ba may problem sa hardware ng laptop ko pag ganun? anu kaya possible cause kapag hindi tumutuloy sa installation? hindi kasi ako makainstall ng safari 5 eh hindi ko din magamit itunes store pag hindi 10.5.8. help pls....

Is there any other reason why you have to stay in 10.5? Ano ba ang Mac mo? If it can handle 10.6, I can help you.

I think the i pad is IT.

All it has to do now is be able to do word processing, worksheets and the like.

Apple says with iworks, it will get the job done.

I am a newbie. Is Iworks compatible (as in interchangable files) with Office?

How is iworks (specifically for the i pad) compared to Office?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me guidance regarding the above issue.

I think the i pad is IT.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me guidance regarding the above issue.

iWorks is compatible with MS Office files to a certain degree. But I had better luck with NeoOffice which is a free port of OpenOffice.org on the Mac OSX environment.

I think the i pad is IT.

Yes it is but do remember to SAVE AS 'doc' and not docx format. Doing page layout in MS Word can be very messy because its is not a page layout app. But I have had success in doing the page layouts in iWork, and then saving it as a doc file which other people opened with no formatting problems in MS Word in Windows even. One thing to remember, be sure to use fonts that you know are also available in your target computer. For example, Neu Helvetica with its various weights and nice character spacing may look really nice on the Mac but if not installed in the target computer, it gets substituted for either plain vanilla Helvetica or worse, Arial and you will see that your line endings are cock-eyed.

First, its a matter of getting used to the interface. Of course the new Word has something like an "inspector" window now but thats not so obvious. Plus iWork's text and graphics boxes are more versatile than Word's. But Word might have better long document stability as well as better mail merge (although I don't know if that is at all used anymore).

Edited by boomouse

Is there any other reason why you have to stay in 10.5? Ano ba ang Mac mo? If it can handle 10.6, I can help you.

I am using Macbook Pro 15" running OSX Leopard 10.5.2. I think it can handle 10.6 (Snow Leopard) naman. Is there an free upgrade to 10.6 on the Apple website? or I need to purchase a new software?

I think the i pad is IT.

software support is one thing. hardware is another. i don't think, with the current state of iPad (i.e., no separate keyboard), that it can be used to compose a reasonably long documents. as a touch-typist, i need real feedbacks when i'm typing. the on-screen keyboard of iPad doesn't have this feel.

Apple products are way overrated. And this is coming from an iMac and iPod owner.

I wonder what makes you say so. If you had said Apple products are overpriced, that I would understand.

My experience has been different. I have tried many MP3 players but I still choose the i pod. Cannot beat the simplicity of the interface. Ang daling gamitin.

About two weeks after getting a 24 inch i mac, I gave my 32 inch tv in my room to my son. NOw I watch everything on my i mac.

I wonder what makes you say so. If you had said Apple products are overpriced, that I would understand.

My experience has been different. I have tried many MP3 players but I still choose the i pod. Cannot beat the simplicity of the interface. Ang daling gamitin.

About two weeks after getting a 24 inch i mac, I gave my 32 inch tv in my room to my son. NOw I watch everything on my i mac.

I'll grant you the iPod. I don't think anything out there beats its great interface.

With other devices like the iPad, iMac, iPhone: I was referring to the hardware and software. We have HP laptops and PC clones at home, and there really isn't anything that Apple devices do better than PC clones or phones like HTC. The fact that they're prohibitively priced and that they won't work with most generic devices make them a big loser in my book. Steve Jobs has done a brilliant job of brainwashing his sheep that only Apple devices work well with Apple devices, when in fact all he wants is exclusivity and profits all to himself (witness how he won't even let generic battery makers sell the iPhone battery by voiding the warranty on iPhones that use non-Apple batts).

wow! compare ba naman ang lcdtv sa mac? hehehehhee.

im using imac 24 inch i5

but i watch my Blueray movie or 720p or 1080p movie download on my 32inch and 46inch lcd. :)