• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

I don't think it's wrong to speak English in the Philippines, let that balikbayan express in the best language he/she feels. Speaking in English doesn't mean one is already "mayabang." Unless you make yourself feel inferior simply because someone is speaking in English. Ugh, this is so colonial mentality.

^_^ I agree...

pag ofw daming pera!

Not all OFWs are able to save enough. Especially those working in war-torn middle east countries. Some are repatriated back to the Philippines with nothing but the shirt on their back. I feel sorry for these people who invested so much time and effort seeking greener pastures overseas only to come home empty-handed.

Those who manage to save and remit money back to their families in the Philippines are the lucky ones. But not without some very high social costs. These Pinoys have to contend with loneliness, being without their loved ones, and at times, hostile employers.

We should wish our kababayans toiling abroad only the best. Whatever prosperity they manage to attain, they deserve it.

Haha these were true back in the mid-2000s, when peso was still Php55 to a dollar. Now it's Php40 to a dollar and one can easily find himself/herself abroad unable to save because of this.

Indeed, this has hurt the economic status of many Filipinos who rely on their relatives' remittances because their dollars can now buy less pesos. When the peso is strong, exports including manpower exports take a beating.

When I was a kid i thought super rich at sarap ng buhay ng mga balikbayan kong relatives because they have cars, high tech gadgets , nice houses complete with appliances and vacations to famous landmarks like Disneyland and Las Vegas which i only read about and see on tv. But when i lived there myself I found out that they work their ass off having double jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay off the 15 to 20 yrs to pay mortgage on houses, cars and credit cards. Wala sila maid , yaya, and lavandera. And kaya sila naka vacation sa Disneyland its because its 15 minutes away from their house.

When I was a kid i thought super rich at sarap ng buhay ng mga balikbayan kong relatives because they have cars, high tech gadgets , nice houses complete with appliances and vacations to famous landmarks like Disneyland and Las Vegas which i only read about and see on tv. But when i lived there myself I found out that they work their ass off having double jobs or else they wouldn't be able to pay off the 15 to 20 yrs to pay mortgage on houses, cars and credit cards. Wala sila maid , yaya, and lavandera. And kaya sila naka vacation sa Disneyland its because its 15 minutes away from their house.

A bit disillusioning isn't it? ^_^ Actually I think a lot of middle class and upper class pinoys living here have a better quality of life than their counterparts living abroad. Like you said, many work their ass off with with more than one job just to pay off the mortgage and to make ends meet. They have no maids to help with daily chores, and they have to live in a society that's culturally different from theirs. If they can adapt to the culture well and good. If not, they will always long for home and may be unhappy. One thing I noticed whenever I visit the US, is how talkative many pinoys are. I normally just listen to them talk and complain about how life is like over there. I also conclude that many are just lonely so whenever they get the opportunity to meet a visiting kababayan, they talk relentlessly. I've even been in conversations with complete strangers on planes who are returning home to the US who talk like we were long lost friends. They talk about their jobs, their children, almost about anything, forgetting that I am a stranger. That in itself makes me realize how lonely these balikbayans really are. The chance just to talk to someone from the Philippines is probably very rare that they grab the opportunity to talk. Even about things that one shouldn't talk about with strangers.

A bit disillusioning isn't it? ^_^ Actually I think a lot of middle class and upper class pinoys living here have a better quality of life than their counterparts living abroad. Like you said, many work their ass off with with more than one job just to pay off the mortgage and to make ends meet. They have no maids to help with daily chores, and they have to live in a society that's culturally different from theirs. If they can adapt to the culture well and good. If not, they will always long for home and may be unhappy. One thing I noticed whenever I visit the US, is how talkative many pinoys are. I normally just listen to them talk and complain about how life is like over there. I also conclude that many are just lonely so whenever they get the opportunity to meet a visiting kababayan, they talk relentlessly. I've even been in conversations with complete strangers on planes who are returning home to the US who talk like we were long lost friends. They talk about their jobs, their children, almost about anything, forgetting that I am a stranger. That in itself makes me realize how lonely these balikbayans really are. The chance just to talk to someone from the Philippines is probably very rare that they grab the opportunity to talk. Even about things that one shouldn't talk about with strangers.

So true.Funny to see that even abroad we still brought the Pinoy attitude of pulong pulong specially older citizens who converge and talk of what life is. They even have their own chapters like Bulakenyo , Kapampangan, Ilonggo association or from wherever province they came from. Balikbayans are full of kwento and upon their return this kwentuhan can lead to reunions,dining out and drinking sprees that they pay for.

I think the attitude of balikbayans are dependent on their life experiences, values and lessons learned living in a foreign country . And dont forget the expectations of their relatives and friends back here.

I think, generally speaking, Filipinos look up to balikbayans. Especially those who have dreams of leaving the country for a better life abroad.

Just wanted to find out from people what exactly is the accurate definition of a balikbayan.

I personally define a balikbayan as someone who left the Philippines long ago when they were younger and settled in a western nation such as the United States, Canada, Australia, or one of the other 1st world countries in Europe. Then as they grew older, with their kids living on their own, these people return to the Philippines and stay here for long periods at a time, if not retiring here altogether.

Can Fil-Americans, born and raised here but now living in the US or other 1st world country, be considered as balikbayans if they visit the land of their birth 2 weeks out of the year? Even if their intention is just a short visit?

How about Fil-Americans who were born and raised in the US or other 1st world country and who have never even been to the Philippines? Can these people be considered balikbayans?

Or how about OFWs temporarily working overseas?

Filipinos living here, visit the US for 3 months and then return to the Philippines? Can these people be considered as balikbayans?

So what exactly is the proper definition of a balikbayan? I'm confused and would love to hear the opinions of people on this thread regarding this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...