Free Medical Advice

papable

ask ko lang po my friend was diagnosed of having laryngeal Tb..

ano po mga dapat niya gawin at mga gamot na dapat inumin..

so far he's in the province having a vacation coz he believes na nid niya fresh air..

fresh air and lots of Vitamins help, but starting Anti-TB medications would be a lot better.....

Good morning :)

kagagaling ko lang nang medical city kahapon (magkasunod na araw ako pumunta)

their finding/s : Hyperventilation Syndrome

symptoms :

- chest pain

- dizziness

- spasm

- deep sighing respirations

- Tremor

- tingling sensation (both arms and legs, head, lip area)

i noticed this (started) last July 24 while sipping iced tea with some friends somewhere in makati. I dont remember myself being stressed though.

Last July 30 I suddenly felt dizzy/light headed. and because I have history of having a high BP, I went to our company clinic. there my BP was 130/80. I already noticed that I have difficultly in breathing. so I asked the nurse kung pwede mahiram ung oxygen tank nila (you know what i mean *wink).

After 15 min medyo ok pakiramdam ko. But when i removed the thing that you put on your nose thats connected to the oxygen tank (sheesh.... I dont even know what you call it), i suddenly felt my whole body started to numb and i cant even move my fingers. I told this to the nurse and she checked my BP again : 150/110, She gave me catapres (?) and volunteered to bring me to the hospital. I said no and just went to medical city by myself.

Arrived at the ER. tried to sign some papers but my hand/s is trembling and i can't bend some of my fingers.

on the er bed, the cute doctor (hi doc! mwah! ) asked me questions about the last thing that I ate, last activity, yadayadayada. they said they would go ahead and do an ECG (just to make sure) and a blood test. they attached something on my finger which i guess counts my heart rate or something.

Then weird enough, my chest suddenly felt really heavy and i started to gasp for air. I guess nag panic na ako... and the next thing i know i was stiff and I can't even move an inch. sobrang panic na talaga ako nun malamang. and i tried getting someone's attention. they went to my bed and the doctor locked at the machine attached to my finger and said "your hyperventilating!". And he said that i need to relax myself (duh, doc kahit cute ka gusto kita sakalin nung oras na un). so i tried. I even tried singing a church song (dunno why pero i guess it worked). Medyo nagalaw ko na ung siko ko (yehey!) so the doctor joked about saying woooosssaaa. i tried to laugh so that i would be a little more relaxed. after probably 15 min, nagagalaw ko na ang arms ko. ung right hand ko di ko pa mabend nang masyado ung fingers kaya ung left hand ko nalang ginamit kong pang text (lol).

ECG result- clean

sugar - sabi nila a little lower than normal

potassium - well i guess little lower din kasi pinatake nila ako nang potassium tablets (or something).

blood -- clean

so ayun pinauwi na nila ako. sabi nila hyperventilation nga daw. kung na explain man nila ang ginawa nila di ko na maalala... nahihilo pa kasi ako noon. I went home agad at natulog. naisip ko kasi na baka pagod lang ito.

July 31. My chest felt heavy again. and this time I was just on my bed trying to sleep (again :P ). I tried to relax myself but my body started to numb again. I tried logging into mtc para mawala sa isip ko ung nararamdaman ko. pero tuloy tuloy parung ung numbness hangang sa im gasping for air again. I texted my mom to get me her sa libis. dinala nila ako sa medical city. there ayaw ko na magpunta sa ER. I am aware of what Hyperventilation is (well nag google ako bago dinala sa MC :P )so i just asked if i could talk to a doctor. I need explanation/s kasi.

so the doctor (in fairness cute din sya. ahihihi ) checked my history and explained to me what happened and what HyperV is. This time I was able to understand what I have. Sad to say there's no medication for this and all they could give me is a prescription that could help me calm down (effective na pampatulog ito ha!). He suggested I talk to a psychiatrist (tama ba ako) to check whats causing my anxiety and stress.

Questions :

- Bakit ngayon lang ito nangyari sakin? dahil ba stressed na talaga ako?

- do i need to do something para di na ulit mangyari ito?

- may kilala ba kayong psychiatrist? sana mura lang kasi di sagot nang health card ko eh :(

- nakakahawa ba ito?

- may mga dapat ba ako iwasan?

- may mga dapat ba akong i take to prevent this?

Thanks po at pasensya na sa haba nang post ko na ito :P

ask ko lang po my friend was diagnosed of having laryngeal Tb..

ano po mga dapat niya gawin at mga gamot na dapat inumin..

so far he's in the province having a vacation coz he believes na nid niya fresh air..

since it's extrapulmonary TB (outside the long) he might need 10-12 months treatment instead of the usual 6. tell him to look for a DOH DOTS(TB) center nearby for consult and meds.

Yup, sounds like hyperventilation syndrome.

Questions :

- Bakit ngayon lang ito nangyari sakin? dahil ba stressed na talaga ako?

--you may not know it or admit it to yourself pero ngayon ka lang siguro nastress o napagod. of course kelangan magpacheckup ka na din to rule out any organic cause/health problem leading you to stress out

- do i need to do something para di na ulit mangyari ito?

--mukhang may ginagawa ka naman, at least narecognize mo na. as a quick relief try breathing in and out of a brown paper bag once you get the symptoms

- nakakahawa ba ito?

--nopes

- may mga dapat ba ako iwasan?

--iwas sa mga bagay na nakaka-'stress' sa katawan. don't take too much coffee, don't smoke. get enough sleep.

- may mga dapat ba akong i take to prevent this?

--take the meds the doctor gave you, usually mga anxiolytics yan or drugs to reduce anxiety. otherwise psychotherapy with a psychiatrist can help

Thanks po at pasensya na sa haba nang post ko na ito :P

• 4 weeks later...

ask ko lang mga boss, pag kasi dumudumi ako meron fresh blood minsan madami, minsan kaunti, hard or soft stool pa siya, sabi sakin ng isang doc mild almuranas daw or prone, ngaun worry nako kasi madami ng dugo, wala nman ain during defecation..mainit lang butthole after defecatoon.help pls.tia

ask ko lang mga boss, pag kasi dumudumi ako meron fresh blood minsan madami, minsan kaunti, hard or soft stool pa siya, sabi sakin ng isang doc mild almuranas daw or prone, ngaun worry nako kasi madami ng dugo, wala nman ain during defecation..mainit lang butthole after defecatoon.help pls.tia

Since there are no clear rules on who should be posting in this thread, we appreciate SUGGESTIONS from those selling supplements and promoting alterrnative (read: NON-CONVENTIONAL) therapy.

As long as those doing so would make it clear to patients as to the extent of what you can do, and what you cannot. MDs and NON-MDs can coexist in this section, like they do in the non-virtual world. But for the benefit of the online patients posting, whose well-being is the primary concern, we require everyone to present facts, explained in the clearest way possible and not just by copying and pasting google info, thereby letting the patient make an INFORMED and INTELLIGENT decision.

There is an actual thread dedicated for that purpose alone - SUPPLEMENTS, ETC. Utilize it if you may.

Know your limits, people.

I hope someone could give us some enlightenment regarding a certain matter.

I have a friend who is suffering from occassional bloating of the general belly region accompanied by intense wrenching pain. He has seen his Doctor but sadly, the Doctor Laughed it off but scheduled for some tests just to be sure.

We are doubting his Doctor he probably thinks it's bull.

Anyway, here is his story and the symptoms. These might sound weird.

He had an operation to cure his hernia about four months ago. He is Diabetic but he said the wounds from the surgery healed up after one week or less. Lately, he's been experiencing this swelling of his belly. Too much swelling that sometimes, his bellybutton pops out.

I told him to record the time when it occurs and when it subsides. The weird thing is that the symptoms seem to be following a pattern. The most often time it starts is either 7AM or 7PM. Usually once in the Morning and once in the evening. Usually, the occurrences last from 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Is there really some condition like this that follows a schedule?

Also, whenever his belly is bloated, it makes a sound when you hit it. Like as if it's just gas. The other puzzle is that whenever it subsides, he doesn't even burp nor fart. It's as if the gas is gone and as if nothing happened.

Anybody encountered this before?

ok. here are my thoughts ---

1. I am not in the position to judge the other MD. He has seen the patient and I have not. But one thing is sure - we do need additional tests for this - a scout film of the abdomen is one, if intestinal obstruction is to be ruled out (for the record, We make an initial diagnosis of intestinal obstruction based on physical exam findings. ) .

2. Based on the facts that you gave, Intestinal obstruction is a possibility. This is considered as an emergency, and emergency consult with an MD, preferably either with a surgeon or a gastroenterologist, is highly recommended. Im concerned about the severity and length of duration of the pain, as you have described, and swelling and all. There is no such thing as a fixed schedule but in characterizing abdominal pains, we do consider the onset in relation to food intake, in relation to a host of other symptoms, etc......

3. Another consideration is diabetic gastropathy, as we call it. Its a complication of long-standing diabetes and involves general bowel movement, resulting in constipation. But rarely does this cause severe abdominal pains. How do we diagnose it? As the name implies, we see it in diabetic, elderly patients with no pathologic cause of constipation (that is no identifiable anatomic cause, as seen in colonoscopy).

Bottomline, either you tell him to proceed with the tests ASAP, and go back to the first doctor (make sure it is the right specialty), or you can consult another one. Patients are always entitled to second, third opinions, remember that.

By the word WE in my answer, i mean licensed MD's, who have undergone proper schooling and years of residency/fellowship training and are duly certified diplomates of their respective specialties. NON-LICENSED MD''s DISPENSING MEDICAL ADVICE is another story.

Thank you very much for these much valued info. It would help me convince him to get a second opinion. There are things about this case which I think should only be discussed through PM due to its nature :D I'll try not to disclose more than what is needed to avoid dispute amongst posters.

Anyway, here are some replies to some other things you mentioned:

* His Doctor is a Surgeon. The one who operated on his hernia. The tests are scheduled but my friend just doesn't remember what tests were scheduled.

* I think his Doctor might have been thinking of Diabetic Gastropathy too since the first test he recommended was an FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) which resulted with a Normal value. And he isn't suffering from any irregular bowel movements.

* I did tell him to consult first a duly licensed doctor when he asked me for help. . . And he did the next day. That's when the Doc laughed it off. He thought it was bull since my friend wasn't bloated when he had his check-up. And I did suggest he get a second opinion. Hopefully, when he sees our conversation here, maybe this would convince him to do so.

You know how some people think being caught between culture and technology.

I'm getting this faint croaking sound in my throat (like a frog!) everytime I drink water. It goes on and off for a couple of hours even when I drank only a small amount. I think people next to me can hear it. It's getting embarrassing at the office. I've never had this condition before; I think it may be related to a gurgling feeling I had a few days ago in my tummy. What is it and what can I do to fix it? Thanks Docs! More power to you all.

I'm getting this faint croaking sound in my throat (like a frog!) everytime I drink water. It goes on and off for a couple of hours even when I drank only a small amount. I think people next to me can hear it. It's getting embarrassing at the office. I've never had this condition before; I think it may be related to a gurgling feeling I had a few days ago in my tummy. What is it and what can I do to fix it? Thanks Docs! More power to you all.

i suggest you go see an ENT so he could visualize your throat properly...

Is there any blood test for HSV1 and HSV2?

(NO, I am not looking for a Tzanck Smear. I want a blood/antibody test)

Please recommend a laboratory / diagnostic center.

(Any idea how much the test costs too?)

I just got here in Makati Prime, and I don't know my way around here.

Thanks.

have you tried to contact the lab in Makati Medical Center? i think they have kits available

Docs, is it possible to develop allergies or any other adverse reactions to condoms? I just noticed the last 3 times I performed with a condom, my penis got wounded. The couple of times I did it with my wife, bareback of course, I was perfectly fine.

I also have a feeling it's fungus related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must probably have latex allergy. Some people have this condition especially medical personnel who develop contact dermatitis with rubber gloves. They use hypo-allergenic gloves instead.

Try to secure hypo-allergenic condoms. I do not think there is one available on sale in the Philippines though.