PacMan's Corner

menime

sarado isip.. hmm.. i wonder about that hehe

kaming mga ngssbi na nanalo si marquez tanggap namin na panalo si pacman kc msyadong close ang fight

kayong mga loyal supporters ni pacman hindi matanggap na may ngssbing pinoy na panalo si marquez ^^

FIrst of all.. dimo sinasagot yung mga nakapost at di ka rin ata nagbabasa..

look at sir Legionnaire, binasa nya yung napost ko.. HINDI MO TANGGAP NA PANALO SI PACMAN kasi sabi mo nga:

1.not really, clearly u ddnt back read the forum enough, i wasnt saying that marquez SHOULD have won, i was saying that in my score card marquez won.

so ano pagkakaiba nya? CONTRADICTING DIBA? so masmagaling ka sa JUDGES? ahhahahaha. come on.. ano hihirit mo? DINAYA?

AKO ang dami ko ng POST dito I AM STILL ON FACT'S SIDE! kung nagbaliktad ang mundo kung si Marquez yung NANALO kung si PACMAN yungbumagsak sa 3rd Round.. baka si Marquez ang Pinagtatanggol ko...

PERO inulit ulit namin yung Palabas sa HBO-PPV malinaw na malinaw na nanalo si PACMAN na walang daya! WALANG MAFIA Involved! walang business involved..

e yung mga nagsasabi ng "I THOUGHT JMM won dahil panalo sa Scorecards nyo e panoorin nyo ulit"

even yung replay sa HBO-PPV pati SUNTOK MARIRINIG MO sa AUDIO napakalinaw kung GLOVES ang tinatamaan

so kung tanggap nila na panalo si pacman bakit nila ipopost ang scorecard nila? for what?

sa announcer i like kinito henson. he research to much bago sya magsalita. even the favorite food ng boxer. hindi opinion nya lang.

as he said before jmm is a boxing scienteist with no punching power compare to pacman. aasa sya sa score card but sorry. nahilo sya at nawala panga sya nung matapos ang round 3. kundi pa ititnuro ng referree kung saan ang corner nya muntik pa syang umupo sa corner ni pacman. natawa talaga ako nun kasi papunta sya sa corner ni pacman.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why castigate Manny?

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson

Thursday, March 20, 2008

It is appalling to find some Filipinos casting doubt on the integrity of Manny Pacquiao’s win by split decision over Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas last Saturday.

Like the sourgrapers in Marquez’ camp, they’re insinuating Top Rank chairman Bob Arum did a sleight of hand to protect his hefty investment in Pacquiao by loading the judges panel with personal choices. Marquez’ supporters claim the Mexican should’ve won because the punchstats show he landed more blows.

Allow me to raise three points to clear the air on this issue.

First, the record will establish that both Pacquiao and Marquez gave their thumbs-up on the three judges who were assigned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. In fact, one original choice Bill Flaherty was replaced on Pacquiao’s instance because he is Roach’s family friend. He was subbed by Tom Miller, 48. The two other judges were veterans Duane Ford, 70, and Jerry Roth, 66, whose reputation for fairness is unassailable. Ford has been a judge since 1978 and Roth, 1982. They’ve been involved in major world title fights before so working last Saturday’s fight was not an unfamiliar experience.

Miller has been a judge since 1996. By the way, it was recently disclosed that in his personal scorecard, Flaherty scored it 114-113 for Pacquiao, the same as Miller. So the verdict would’ve been the same even if Flaherty had not been replaced.

Second, it must be explained that punchstats are a summary of total blows thrown and connected, broken down into jabs and power shots. Just because a fighter connected more punches on an accumulated basis doesn’t necessarily mean he won. Remember that punchstats show totals from the start of the fight to the end and a bout is judged from round to round, not by an accumulation of blows landed.

For instance, a fighter may take a round with a comfortable margin and receive a 10-9 count from the judges. If his opponent wins the next round by a slim margin, he also receives a 10-9 count. If you total the punches connected in the two rounds, one fighter will have the edge. But in the judges scorecards, it will be dead even. That’s how it is in boxing. You judge round by round, not by an accumulation of total punches connected at the end of the fight.

In the punchstats for last Saturday’s fight, Marquez landed more blows, 172 to Pacquiao’s 157, and was more accurate, 34 percent to 25 percent. Pacquiao, being the aggressor, threw more blows, 619 to 511 or a huge difference of 108. Some judges give a lot of credit to aggressiveness because after all, boxing is a combative sport.

In terms of jabs, Pacquiao threw 314 to Marquez’ 201, but landed only one more, 43 to 42. The figures proved that Marquez didn’t really jab as much as he was supposed to, averaging less than four connections a round.

In power punches, Marquez landed 130 of 310 compared to Pacquiao’s 114 of 305. The difference of 16 in connections is insignificant, considering the length of the fight or 12 rounds.

It is therefore not accurate to base the outcome of a fight on punchstats which do not break down into rounds.

Third, the judges’ scorecards didn’t show major disparities. They scored the first round for Pacquiao – which The STAR did, too. They also scored the third, fourth and 10th for the Filipino. Additionally, they were unanimous in scoring the second, fifth, seventh, eighth and 11th rounds for Marquez.

The judges differed only in scoring three rounds – the sixth, ninth and 12th. In the sixth, Miller and Roth gave it to Marquez and Ford to Pacquiao. In the ninth, Miller and Roth scored it for Pacquiao and Ford to Marquez. In the 12th, Ford had it for Pacquiao while Miller and Roth saw it for Marquez.

So the discrepancy in scoring was far from being an eternity. From the scorecards, it’s clear that the difference was in the knockdown that Pacquiao produced in the third round because it meant a 10-8 count or a two-point cushion. In a close bout, a knockdown could be the decider and it was in last Saturday’s fight.

If Pacquiao had not decked Marquez but won the third round anyway, it would’ve been a split draw just like the outcome in their first fight. If Marquez won the third round, he would’ve won by majority decision.

Don’t forget that Pacquiao should’ve won the first meeting by a split decision four years ago. Burt Clements, the judge who had it a draw, admitted he made a mistake in shortchanging Pacquiao by a point in the first round when Marquez went down thrice but under boxing rules, the scorecard couldn’t be altered after the fact.

So if you really think about it, Pacquiao has effectively beaten Marquez twice.

The problem with some Filipino fans is they’ve been spoiled by Pacquiao and expect nothing less than a spectacular knockout in each of his fights.

Marquez is a tough opponent and because of his style, will always be difficult for Pacquiao to handle. Pacquiao could’ve done more things to win convincingly last Saturday – he could’ve used the right hand more, he could’ve hit and spun like he did in the second and third Erik Morales fights, he could’ve cut the ring off with more authority on Marquez to close the distance between them, he could’ve jabbed more, he could’ve attacked the body more consistently, he could’ve used more lateral movement instead of insisting on coming forward linearly.

There are so many other “could’ves” to cite but the fact is two of the three judges scored it for Pacquiao and he won, fair and square. Pacquiao earned the victory because he fought with the bigger heart, came back strong in the late rounds and every Filipino should be proud of his achievement in becoming the first Asian to win three world titles in different divisions. He bled for every one of his countrymen, he took Marquez’ hardest shots without backing down. You couldn’t ask anything more from a hero.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

post ko lang po kasi sa lahat ng nabasa ko well research to compare sa mganabasa ko na personal opinion ng mga blogs na naniniwala na si jmm ang nanalo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

entitled sa opinion tayo pero hindi entitled tayo na magresearch bago mmagpost though mas gusto ko tong dito sa mtc kesa blogs na nababasa ko.

masyado kasing pabibo yung sa mga blogs na as if matalino sila.

may isang blogs na nagpost ng sariling scorecard nya na nanalo si jmm tinanong ko kung naging boxing judge na ba sya kahit sa amature. nagsorry sya personnal opinion nya lang. so para saan pa ang post nya? its nothing but just an opinion. if i had a children i will not let them waste thier time just reading an personal opinion. then time will come his opinion is just a folklore.

no need to watch those boxing match very closed dadayain lang ang mata natin. statistic and boxing records na lang.

@Joker, Im iroy ka. Waray ka ngayn p#ta ka. Hehehehe. Birat.

Muntik na din ako bugbugin ng mga tao sa cine nun laban kc ang ingay ko pag tina tamaan si Manny. Lalo na nun, babasahin na ang scorecards. Sabi ko talo, to. Madami gsto umupak sakin. Hehehe. Iba tlga ang pinoy, kahit nd tma basta panalo.

Yay!!! taga diin ka padi? hehehe

Ako pacman naman ako eh, pero hindi lang ako BIAS... Sa tingin ko talaga si JMM ang nanalo... Hindi ako expert sa boxing kaya nga pinost ko na lang yung sinabi ng Ring Magazine eh... :rolleyes:

Yay!!! taga diin ka padi? hehehe

Ako pacman naman ako eh, pero hindi lang ako BIAS... Sa tingin ko talaga si JMM ang nanalo... Hindi ako expert sa boxing kaya nga pinost ko na lang yung sinabi ng Ring Magazine eh... :rolleyes:

mahirap kasi maniwala ngayon sa RING MAGAZINE..

why? isa na po sa may ari nun ang Golden boy promotions na may hawak kay marquez...

kaya maraming di na naniniwala sa kanila... wala na credibility.

bias ako siguro kung maniniwala lang ako sa nakita ko sa tv. though comparizon ko lang sa pacman-marquez2 eh katulad lang ng pacman-marquez1. kung kineclaim ng iba na nanalo si jmm para na rin nating tinanggap na nanalo din si jmm sa unang match.

tanong ko lang bakit naging number 1 sa pound for pund ng ring magazine si pacman habang nalaglag sa number 6 si jmm sa latest records?

a month ago

1. mayweather

2. pacquiao

3. marquez

simple lang. since number 1 sa pound for pound si pacman ikinakasa ni Delahoya ang magiging laban ni golden boy laban kay pacman in case na manalo si pacman sa susunod na 2 laban. being in top of the pound for pund ranks is hindi kwestyonable kung pwede si pacman kay delahoya since top in p4p sya. multimillion bout nanaman para kay pacman at DLH.

habang nangyayari to ikinakasa naman nya ang pacman-marquez3 kaya siniasabi nilang si jmm ang nanalo. para lalong kumuha ng publicity and of course by popular demand lalakas ang hatak ng pacman-jmm3. sabi nga ni larry merchant the more ass to put on the sit to watch a big money anyway. malaking bagay ang emotion ng audience. imagine wala pang assurance ang jmm-pacman3 dito palang dami ng nag aabang at tumatawag ng laban. though para sakin tapos na ang laban. sa pacman-jmm draw pero alam na natin sino ang talagang nanalo. sa pacman-jmm2 though it is close match pacman deserved to win. so pacman has the reason to choose the who will be his opponent.

pero mas interesting sakin na labanan ni pacman ang bigger guys. decking all opponents in lower weights is a big reason to move up.

dela hoya is all about money. since matanda na sya kinakasa nya ang laban ni pacman sa kanya. while manager sya ni jmm gusto nya maging crowds favorite wishlist ang jmm-pacman3 by adding up publicity. publicity is added to emotions ng tao. remember the high tension emotion nung MAB-Morales3? sinabi pa ni delahoya na hatred sa isat isa ni barrera at morales ang big reason bakit kelangan ng 3rd match. may publicity shots pa sila na akala mo magkaaway sila.

manny should learn to be humble. overall, talo sya. wag sya masyadong mayabang. e wasak nga ang mukha nya e at masakit ang katawan nya di ba? he should just thank god na pinalusot sya.

di naman sya nagyayabang. aminado nga sya na naka-tsamba lang sya eh.

and bro, boxing yan, malamang kahit si Marquez masakit ang katawan after ng laban.

as for Pacquiao-Marquez 3, malamang nga sa lightweight division na mangyari to.

Edited by bret_hart

malalaman natin ang karakas ni pacman, pag naglaban na sila ni david diaz... june or july daw yun di ba, isa rin siguro yan sa mga dahilan kung bakit nanalo si pacman via decision... Para matuloy ang laban nila ni david diaz, dahil alam naman nating lahat na mas malaking pera ang makukuha ng mga promoters dun... BUSINESS IS BUSINESS!!!

Kung pinatalo nila si pacman sa decision, hindi matutuloy ang laban nila ni david diaz... Di ba ganun yun? :D

malalaman natin ang karakas ni pacman, pag naglaban na sila ni david diaz... june or july daw yun di ba, isa rin siguro yan sa mga dahilan kung bakit nanalo si pacman via decision... Para matuloy ang laban nila ni david diaz, dahil alam naman nating lahat na mas malaking pera ang makukuha ng mga promoters dun... BUSINESS IS BUSINESS!!!

Kung pinatalo nila si pacman sa decision, hindi matutuloy ang laban nila ni david diaz... Di ba ganun yun? :D

Weh?! Patawa di naman kalbo! :thumbsdownsmiley:

O eto sa mga nagmamarunong mag SCORE na sabi Panalo si Marquez...

UULITIN KO I AM ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT FACTS:

kaya nasabi ko na nanalo si pacman kasi malinaw na malinaw.. WALANG DAYA! WALANG BUSINESS is BUSINESS!

THE FOUR COMPONENTS OF SCORING

1. Clean Punching: This is the key part of scoring a boxing match, clean and effective blows being landed.

2. Effective Aggressiveness: Sometimes confused with one fighter simply coming forward and throwing blows, "effective aggressiveness" means going at your opponent in a manner that scores points. Many times you will hear TV’s talking heads talk about "ineffective aggressiveness." This is the fighter that's putting forth aggression that amounts to nil. Fighter "A" might be coming forward, but at the same time he is being schooled by fighter "B."

3. Defense: Making the other guy miss. This area of scoring is given to a fighter that is slipping or blocking blows being hurled his way. Besides component 1, this is the second easiest of the criteria used to score boxing.

4. Ring Generalship: This is the most difficult of the criteria utilized in scoring a professional boxing match. To make it real simple, ring generalship is awarded to the man/woman imposing their will.

Edited by djrs
Yes, it is discrimination if you attack him by basis of his ethnic or national origin. This aspect has nothing to do with Boxing (our topic at hand), it is more of a low blow at personal attack.

I did not attack him based on his national origin. Did I? I said he was Sri Lankan. Statement of fact. Is that racial discrimination? No. I said he was "s@%t". Statement of opinion. I am entitled to it. Again, this is the s@%t who has been trying to pull Manny Pacquiao for the longest time. He questioned Manny's patriotism, dedication, etc.

Now, I understand your comments against RN stemmed out from the rumours that he hurled against Manny. They may or may not be true.

Oh, he went on RECORD with that. I saw him on TV, on his boxing program (now off the air) with his "bombshell".

And as to his "doing a lot for Philippine sports". Really? Name one.

hmm.. it maybe true that u were a sports writer/reporter some time ago.

but u dont talk like one, so i doubt it

Really? And how do sports writers "talk like"? This is a very informal forum. I don't get paid to write here. These are not "scripts" or "bylines".

Anyway, I don't have to convince you, or anyone else for that matter. But let me tell you one thing only a sports writer would know. Something that NEVER saw print as it would have ruined someone's image. Anyway, it's been 15 years or so, so this little bit of information wouldn't hurt the guy anymore.

Do you know why Nelson Mariano lost to Judith Polgar? The real reason? Oh, they went to the papers about how there was no government support and all that, the usual song and dance number whenever a Filipino athlete falls short. But this it the real reason.

Nelson Mariano made it to the finals of the World Junior Chess championships. For that, I think he earned one grandmaster norm. But to beat Judith Polgar, for the championship, would have made him an outright Grand Master. So what happened?

Remember, at the time, Nelson Mariano was a teenager. 19, if I remember correctly. Raging hormones. And Judith Polgar was this hot eastern european chick, 16 or 17. Nelson could've easilly beaten her. But she had a secret weapon. For the final round, she wore a plunging neckline blouse. Whenever she found herself in a bind, all she had to do was lean over the board... for a better look :D And she got away with it. There are no rules as to "proper attire".

Really? And how do sports writers "talk like"? This is a very informal forum. I don't get paid to write here. These are not "scripts" or "bylines".

Anyway, I don't have to convince you, or anyone else for that matter. But let me tell you one thing only a sports writer would know. Something that NEVER saw print as it would have ruined someone's image. Anyway, it's been 15 years or so, so this little bit of information wouldn't hurt the guy anymore.

Do you know why Nelson Mariano lost to Judith Polgar? The real reason? Oh, they went to the papers about how there was no government support and all that, the usual song and dance number whenever a Filipino athlete falls short. But this it the real reason.

Nelson Mariano made it to the finals of the World Junior Chess championships. For that, I think he earned one grandmaster norm. But to beat Judith Polgar, for the championship, would have made him an outright Grand Master. So what happened?

Remember, at the time, Nelson Mariano was a teenager. 19, if I remember correctly. Raging hormones. And Judith Polgar was this hot eastern european chick, 16 or 17. Nelson could've easilly beaten her. But she had a secret weapon. For the final round, she wore a plunging neckline blouse. Whenever she found herself in a bind, all she had to do was lean over the board... for a better look :D And she got away with it. There are no rules as to "proper attire".

nice anecdote hehe

Pacman already went on record today that he is moving up to 135 (lightweight division). He'll be fighting David Diaz next.

If JMM wants a rematch, he must wait his turn and move up to the 135 lbs division. Pacman dictates the terms. He gets to choose whom to fight, when to fight, at what division to fight.